Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Shutdown

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
It looks as though they’re going to agree to increases in both domestic spending (which Democrats want) and military spending (which Republicans want), along with a two-year increase in the debt ceiling and a pledge from Pelosi not to insert anything into the bill that would make it impossible for Republicans to vote for, such as a repeal of the Hyde Amendment.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Might as well rename this 'Shutdown...until the Boomers feel like stealing the future from their grandchildren again.'
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Someone put this thread in the deep freeze.
The Senate passed Thursday a massive budget deal that would stave off the looming threat of a potential default on US debt and prevent automatic spending cuts to domestic and military funding.

The a final vote was 67-28 and the bill will now go to President Donald Trump for his signature.
The deal, which passed the House last week, suspends the debt limit through July 2021 and sets top-line levels for defense and non-defense spending for the next two fiscal years. It establishes a $1.37 trillion budget agreement in the first year, with $738 billion for defense spending and $632 billion in non-defense spending for fiscal year 2020.
One GOP senator on the fence acknowledged that some of his colleagues would like to vote against it to publicly demonstrate they are fiscally prudent while privately hoping it passes so there can be orderly governing out of Washington.

"There are a lot of people who will vote 'no' who hope to heck it passes," said the senator, who did not want to be identified.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
The Senate today passed stopgap spending legislation that would ward off a looming government shutdown and keep federal funding on autopilot through Nov. 21.

The upper chamber easily cleared the bill, H.R. 4378 (116), in an 81-16 vote. President Donald Trump is expected to sign it. Current federal funding runs out Monday.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:59 pm

The upper chamber easily cleared the bill, H.R. 4378 (116), in an 81-16 vote. President Donald Trump is expected to sign it. Current federal funding runs out Monday.
Why is it when people expect Trump to do something, I expect him not to? :ninja:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I want you to do us a favor though...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thawing out thread because it's the most wonderful time of year as GOP terrorists are making their threats, right on schedule:
Members of the House Freedom Caucus are making it harder for leadership to avoid a government shutdown, announcing on Monday that they'll oppose a stopgap funding bill unless it caves to their terms.

"We refuse to support any such measure that continues Democrats' bloated COVID-era spending and simultaneously fails to force the Biden Administration to follow the law and fulfill its most basic responsibilities," they said in a statement.

"Any support for a 'clean' Continuing Resolution would be an affirmation of the current FY 2023 spending level grossly increased by the lame-duck December 2022 omnibus spending bill that we all vehemently opposed just seven months ago."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It should be easy to get enough D support for a clean bill to render the Freedumb Caucus irrelevant...if McCarthy dares. Unless the Dems would rather let a shutdown embarrass him. :think:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:50 pm It should be easy to get enough D support for a clean bill to render the Freedumb Caucus irrelevant...if McCarthy dares.
He doesn't.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is one fight I am not going to pay attention too much to it for once. The stakes are generally so much lower when we are talking a shutdown. Don't get me wrong - it's silly and embarrassing but it probably won't break anything. Plus the important thing to me is that the economy is in a place where we can trim some governmental spend without doing much harm. Which is what I expect will happen. There will be a lot of grandstanding and then they'll target out some cuts and the very serious people will talk about how good it is to get "bipartisan" solutions.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:29 pm This is one fight I am not going to pay attention too much to it for once. The stakes are generally so much lower when we are talking a shutdown. Don't get me wrong - it's silly and embarrassing but it probably won't break anything.
I'm a contractor who provides training to federal government agencies. It would almost completely eliminate my paycheck for the month before and after the shutdown (plus however long the actual shutdown lasts). I've spent most of the past week dealing with dozens of training program cancellations in Sept and Oct because no one knows if they'll be around or what chaos they'll be having to manage. My two largest engagements were supposed to kick off on Oct 1, and now we have no idea when those might actually get started.

I'll be fine, but it does certainly "break things" in my world.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sure. And to be clear I don't think we should do these sort of things for those reasons. They are beyond ridiculous, are utterly unserious for the world's "best country" and have impacts on regular folks who have the least means to absorb the hit. All I meant was it probably won't break the world financial system like a default would. That's all I'm getting at.