Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Shutdown

Post by Isgrimnur »

Note the quote for context. Conservative groups, not Republican Congresspeople.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The House passed the spending bill.

On to the Senate, now.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My understanding is that any one senator can slow it down so as to basically force a partial / temporary shutdown.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:37 pm My understanding is that Rand Paul can slow it down so as to basically force a partial / temporary shutdown.
Mortoned.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:40 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:37 pm My understanding is that Rand Paul can slow it down so as to basically force a partial / temporary shutdown.
Mortoned.
:lol:

Yeah, I almost wrote "any one Senator (aka Rand Paul)".
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

And passed in Senate.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

On the bright side, it contains generous increases for all of the sciences except the EPA, which is flat-funded. The Trump budget would have cut science drastically across the board with special hatred for the EPA. I'm glad that Congress can still trade horses when it comes to spending increases. I wish they could do the same for raising revenue to pay for it. Hello, trillion-dollar deficits.

NASA numbers are rosy. The article is a couple of days old but I think the numbers held.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The WH had said they'd be signing the spending bill but now Trump has announced he may veto it. He is complaining about DACA -- for real -- and the border wall. His party runs the whole thing so this would be magnificent incompetence. What a fucking moron for waiting to threaten a veto until *after* it was done.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I hope he does veto it. It will just be more ammo for the midterms. What a f'n idiot.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A key part of a WaPo article about this:
Lawmakers have left town for a two-week recess, some of them on overseas trips and with no plans to return to Washington. The House passed the bill midday Thursday, and the Senate cleared the measure shortly after midnight.
Oy. My agency is safe, but oy, that looks bad.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

As an aside...talk about petty. Possible shutdown of the government due to naming of a monument. Only the *best* elder statesmen.
For several hours Thursday night, a senator’s disdain for a deceased political rival threatened to spark a government shutdown.

According to two congressional aides familiar with the dispute, Sen. James E. Risch (R-Idaho) demanded that a provision renaming the White Clouds Wilderness in central Idaho after former four-term governor Cecil D. Andrus, who died last year, be removed from a fast-moving omnibus appropriations bill.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And here I was worried when I posted the news in the Shutdown thread that I might be overselling it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:26 am A key part of a WaPo article about this:
Lawmakers have left town for a two-week recess, some of them on overseas trips and with no plans to return to Washington. The House passed the bill midday Thursday, and the Senate cleared the measure shortly after midnight.
It would be bad for the country and at least a hassle for me as a government employee, but man I really kind of hope that he does. What an f'ing mess that would be for the GOP. Good luck messaging that shutdown.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 am
It would be bad for the country and at least a hassle for me as a government employee, but man I really kind of hope that he does. What an f'ing mess that would be for the GOP. Good luck messaging that shutdown.
The message will be that it's the Dems' fault for not giving him a deal on DACA, which he really honest wants to fix, and he cares SO MUCH about the dreamers that he had to veto until they bring him a deal.

His followers will buy this reasoning completely. The GOP will quietly go along.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:06 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 am
The message will be that it's the Dems' fault for not giving him a deal on DACA, which he really honest wants to fix, and he cares SO MUCH about the dreamers that he had to veto until they bring him a deal.

His followers will buy this reasoning completely. The GOP will quietly go along.
I get that would be the pitch, but it was passed by GOP majorities in a GOP Congress. It's not really possible to justify the veto without simultaneously blaming the congressional GOP for passing it. And even if the base goes along, you're going to lose a lot of the "soft GOP" voters.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's not really possible to justify the veto without simultaneously blaming the congressional GOP for passing it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, you were serious?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am
It's not really possible to justify the veto without simultaneously blaming the congressional GOP for passing it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, you were serious?
That was my reaction. It's adorable that folks think there's something Trump/the GOP can't sell to their base.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

While there is a hard core center to his base the edges wear a little thinner all the time. Even if it only costs him a single vote in each state every time he does something stupid by the time November gets here he will be down to just the Deporables and have lost the angry white portion of his base.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:46 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am

Oh, you were serious?
That was my reaction. It's adorable that folks think there's something Trump/the GOP can't sell to their base.
:lol:

No, I mean, I'm not doubting their shamelessness. It's just that in order to justify the veto, you are necessarily saying that the bill is bad (that it should not become law), right? That in turn is necessarily blaming those who passed the law. I'm sure that they'll come up with some bullshit to blame the Democrats for it (they hypnotized us into voting for the bill!), but that story can't be simple - it's not like the shutdown earlier this year, where the Democrats stopped the bill by filibustering. It has to be some complicated procedural excuse that no one's going to remember. The headlines would be "government shuts down after Trump vetoes budget bill".

Point is that it's a big unnecessary mess, and prone to leading to lots of GOP infighting. Also each time Trump creates a big headache for GOP leadership it gives them another reason to pause before bailing him out on Mueller when the time comes. And to fix the mess, they would need some democratic votes, which would give the democrats a fair amount of leverage over whatever the 'fix' would be.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:56 am While there is a hard core center to his base the edges wear a little thinner all the time. Even if it only costs him a single vote in each state every time he does something stupid by the time November gets here he will be down to just the Deporables and have lost the angry white portion of his base.
Yeah, that's the other thing. They can hold 100% of the GOP base, but if that's all they have they'll lose.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My guess is that he's going to sign it, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, this feels like a routine Trump tantrum to me -- little man acting tough.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:08 am My guess is that he's going to sign it, though.
He goddamn well better.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He will not sign it. He loves to create things about him. This will keep him entertained for weeks.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Can Fox & Friends put together an emergency special on how great the budget bill is, and how amazing it is that Trump was able to get the bill put together?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:10 am Yeah, this feels like a routine Trump tantrum to me -- little man acting tough.
One other cynical explanation would be that he wants to get the democratic base mad at the democrats for there being no DACA fix in here. Though I'm skeptical of those three dimensional chess type arguments.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:58 amNo, I mean, I'm not doubting their shamelessness. It's just that in order to justify the veto, you are necessarily saying that...
There you go with logic again. Any--any--logical reading of the current situation leads one to conclude that Donald Trump is not fit to be President, and that the GOP should be voted out en masse. Clearly that's not how the electorate works in America today.

I look forward to being proven wrong in November, but am not holding my breath. I was with you until November of 2016.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:18 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:58 amNo, I mean, I'm not doubting their shamelessness. It's just that in order to justify the veto, you are necessarily saying that...
There you go with logic again. Any--any--logical reading of the current situation leads one to conclude that Donald Trump is not fit to be President, and that the GOP should be voted out en masse. Clearly that's not how the electorate works in America today.

I look forward to being proven wrong in November, but am not holding my breath. I was with you until November of 2016.
I wonder why educated voters are abandoning the GOP in droves.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

He will sign it. Remember, Trump thinks he’s on the highest rated reality tv show of all time. He recognized that this weeks episode ran short, and he is trying to inject some drama to keep viewers tuned in until 10 o’clock.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Looks like we'll find out today in the 1 PM hour what's going to happen.

Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. I didn't think he'd say anything. I assumed he'd be packing for his weekend trip to Florida, though that's not happening until later this evening so I guess anything is possible!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Looks like he's signing it. Just wanted to make a big spectacle out of it all, as usual.

Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 pm Looks like he's signing it. Just wanted to make a big spectacle out of it all, as usual.
I know. Because no previous President made a big deal about signing legislation. Stupid Trump. Always making a spectacle of being President.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 pm Looks like he's signing it. Just wanted to make a big spectacle out of it all, as usual.
To clarify he IS the spectacle. Also, he's weak on immigration. Sad.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Moliere wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:14 pm
I know. Because no previous President made a big deal about signing legislation. Stupid Trump. Always making a spectacle of being President.
Can you point to a previous President who said he was going to veto a spending bill then made a big deal out of signing it just a few hours later?
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ah damn I'm usually pretty good at predicting what captain asshat will do. Must be having an off day.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

According to the speech he just gave, this bill consists of a bunch of military funding, immigration enforcement, way too little funding for the badly needed wall, and a bunch of wasted spending on things the democrats wanted, but that he had to take because the system is broken. He called for an end to the filibuster and for him to have a line item veto for every government spending bill. He also again claimed that the GOP is 100% with DACA recipients, and the Dems are all against them, and that he wanted to do something on DACA, but as you know, DACA is tied to the $25 billion in wall spending, so he couldn't do anything.

I need a goddamn drink after watching that.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Your sacrifice is appreciated.