Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 59969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by LordMortis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Skinypupy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
Smoove_B wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:32 pm
At least some of them are self-aware. Not that it matters.


My side would be storming the White House if Barack Obama ever thought about declaring a national emergency.
It has nothing to do with whether or not it's the right thing to do, it's simply a matter of who does it.

Huh, they usually don't go so far as to outright admit that.
I'm happy to see it coming from anyone because it's true. It's just especially bile inducing when "the side" that is even now attacking government over reach is the side making rallying cries for government overreach and they are doing it by attacking "the other side" for the necessity of their action because "the other side" is using government overreach.

Imagine what happens if Warren runs and wins and she totally shits on McConnell and Graham and Shelby and Nunez and Geatz and... She starts by nationalizing banking and medical end to end, re-organizing the SEC, and then declares forgiveness on all college debt concurrent with cutting funding to private education while making all public education free, finally enacting the single payer system all because national emergency.

Also for the Amash fans out there. He is also vocally standing against his freedom caucus brethren. In other times, I could respect him and maybe vote for him in the right circumstance.

User avatar
Z-Corn
Posts: 3688
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: GR, MI

Re: Shutdown

Post by Z-Corn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:54 pm

LordMortis wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 pm
Also for the Amash fans out there. He is also vocally standing against his freedom caucus brethren. In other times, I could respect him and maybe vote for him in the right circumstance.
This is where I'm torn. I like a lot of what he says and does but he folded early enough in Trump's reign that I'll never vote for him. Not while he has that "R" next to his name.

User avatar
Enough
Posts: 14025
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Serendipity
Contact:

Re: Shutdown

Post by Enough » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pm

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell

User avatar
stessier
Posts: 23815
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Shutdown

Post by stessier » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm

I can't parse that one. What does it mean?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

User avatar
Enough
Posts: 14025
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Serendipity
Contact:

Re: Shutdown

Post by Enough » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Wut, you got problem wit grump''s grammar? Pretty sure that means no national emergency declared for at least today.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 59969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by LordMortis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:27 pm

stessier wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm
I can't parse that one. What does it mean?
I can parse it. I still have no idea what it means.

Is that a threat that he is waving national emergency if he doesn't get what he wants?
Is he saying national emergency was never on the table?
Is he saying he's been up an night exhausting options but is increasingly looking like he's trapped?

I think this consistently drives me nuts with twitter as news source. Context. Context. Context. I picture that being said in so many different ways.

And Trump Per Pool is that 4 foot hexagon felt table with the white and red balls, isn't it?

User avatar
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 21340
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Surrounded by Mountains

Re: Shutdown

Post by Zaxxon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Enough wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Wut, you got problem wit grump''s grammar? Pretty sure that means no national emergency declared for at least today.
Today? Trump guarantees come in five-minute increments. He could change his mind by 4 PM Eastern.

User avatar
stessier
Posts: 23815
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Shutdown

Post by stessier » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Enough wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Wut, you got problem wit grump''s grammar? Pretty sure that means no national emergency declared for at least today.
It could mean that or it could mean that the current lack of action constitutes a national emergency.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

User avatar
Enough
Posts: 14025
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Serendipity
Contact:

Re: Shutdown

Post by Enough » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Zaxxon wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 pm
Enough wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Wut, you got problem wit grump''s grammar? Pretty sure that means no national emergency declared for at least today.
Today? Trump guarantees come in five-minute increments. He could change his mind by 4 PM Eastern.
Good point. Another tweet I just saw was that OMB is preparing for the shutdown to last through February. Sure that's at least partially a precaution, but if it does go that long there is going to be a lot of destroyed families in its wake.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17530
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Shutdown

Post by Defiant » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:29 pm

Can someone explain this word salad?



We lose 300 Americans a week, 90% of which comes through the Southern Border. These numbers will be DRASTICALLY REDUCED if we have a Wall!

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 36778
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Shutdown

Post by hepcat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Apparently the missing noun in that tweet is "heroin".

90 percent of it comes from the border, perhaps. But it's been proven time and again (through his administration's own studies even) that drugs primarily come through ports of entry. A wall would do absolutely nothing.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 59969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by LordMortis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Defiant wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:29 pm
Can someone explain this word salad?



We lose 300 Americans a week, 90% of which comes through the Southern Border. These numbers will be DRASTICALLY REDUCED if we have a Wall!
I'm guessing he is saying abductions and that the wall will keep people in. And like everything else twitter. Source?

Edit or maybe he was talking about drug ODs? *shrug*
hepcat wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm
Apparently the missing noun in that tweet is "heroin".

90 percent of it comes from the border, perhaps. But it's been proven time and again (through his administration's own studies even) that drugs primarily come through ports of entry. A wall would do absolutely nothing.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biyobi
Posts: 5330
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:21 pm
Location: San Gabriel, CA

Re: Shutdown

Post by Biyobi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 pm

The way it reads it sounds like 300 Americans are leaving the country every week, 270 of whom go through the southern border. Sounds like we need a good Berlin-style wall down there to keep Americans in.

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 13666
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: Shutdown

Post by pr0ner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Henceforth, I think OO needs to call Trump's wall "Peaches" rather than "The Wall"
Hodor.

User avatar
Pyperkub
Posts: 18414
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: NC- that's Northern California
Contact:

Re: Shutdown

Post by Pyperkub » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Fireball wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 pm
pr0ner wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:18 am
Didn't Pelosi already pass bills to keep everything but DHS open through the end of the FY, and DHS through Feb. 8? Is she now going to introduce more bills to hit all the closed agencies individually?
Yes, that is what we are doing.
HI Fireball - is there any way to get all the (Dem?) Senators to chant "We Vote to do our Jobs, open the government!" at McConnell in the Senate?
There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

malchior
Posts: 8316
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by malchior » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:09 pm

That sounds unbecoming of the world's greatest deliberative body! That august chamber is no place for games!

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17530
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Shutdown

Post by Defiant » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:12 am

Three-quarters of Americans say the government shutdown, now tied for the longest in U.S. history, is "embarrassing for the country," including a majority of Republicans, a new NPR/Ipsos Poll finds.
link

User avatar
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 21340
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Surrounded by Mountains

Re: Shutdown

Post by Zaxxon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 am

In totally unrelated news, one quarter of Americans are dumb.

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 33131
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shutdown

Post by Kraken » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 am

Zaxxon wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 am
In totally unrelated news, one quarter of Americans are dumb.
Last I heard, 77% of Republicans were still blaming Democrats. 77% of Republicans must be 1/4 of Americans.

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 2875
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Shutdown

Post by MonkeyFinger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am

Sitting here wondering if he was waiting to declare a "National Emergency" until sometime after he earned the Achievement for "Longest Government Shutdown in US History". He can add that to his list of Proud Accomplishments. :roll:

<chime!>
-mf

stimpy
Posts: 3602
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by stimpy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:42 pm

We're #1!!!!!!
USA!!USA!!
It makes my dookie twinkle.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13345
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Shutdown

Post by Zarathud » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 am

I can report TSA is slower but still on the job this morning. When you mess with a worker's paycheck while expecting them to keep working like nothing is wrong, you're a jackass.

The guy ahead of me in line from the suburbs blamed Pelosi as much as Trump's "tantrum." His "both sides were at fault" covered for Mitch McConnell's blame. His solution? Sending 100 Senators to the bottom of the ocean because there are no longer any Statesmen. America! :sigh:
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

malchior
Posts: 8316
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by malchior » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:52 am

Zarathud wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 am
The guy ahead of me in line from the suburbs blamed Pelosi as much as Trump's "tantrum." His "both sides were at fault" covered for Mitch McConnell's blame. His solution? Sending 100 Senators to the bottom of the ocean because there are no longer any Statesmen. America! :sigh:
Americans seemingly have a dogged adherence to the narrative that both sides are to blame for our problems.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31521
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Shutdown

Post by El Guapo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:53 am

malchior wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:52 am
Zarathud wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 am
The guy ahead of me in line from the suburbs blamed Pelosi as much as Trump's "tantrum." His "both sides were at fault" covered for Mitch McConnell's blame. His solution? Sending 100 Senators to the bottom of the ocean because there are no longer any Statesmen. America! :sigh:
Americans seemingly have a dogged adherence to the narrative that both sides are to blame for our problems.
It's one handy narrative for people who aren't inclined to pay attention to politics. Lets you feel sophisticated and worldly and above it all.

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 33131
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shutdown

Post by Kraken » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:55 am

Old joke that's making the rounds.

Image

Somebody shop McConnell's face on there.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31521
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Shutdown

Post by El Guapo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:58 am

One rules reform that the Senate badly needs is some mechanism for the minority leader to force some votes. McConnell's in a deeply red state, so he can just bury votes that he thinks may pass (the popular ones), let his blue state members attack him for it to help themselves in their states, but shield GOP senators from any accountability or actual public record on this stuff.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 39169
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Shutdown

Post by GreenGoo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:43 pm

It does seem strange that one man can keep democracy from happening because democracy gives him that power.

malchior
Posts: 8316
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by malchior » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm


User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17530
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Shutdown

Post by Defiant » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 pm

malchior wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Lindsey Graham is losing his mind.
I say we give him the nickname Graham Crackers, if it isn't his nickname already.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31521
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Shutdown

Post by El Guapo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:47 pm

malchior wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Lindsey Graham is losing his mind.

Honestly, seems promising. Graham's a pretty craven political animal these days, and so this would suggest that the political winds are blowing against an emergency and for re-opening the government.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31521
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Shutdown

Post by El Guapo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Defiant wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 pm
malchior wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Lindsey Graham is losing his mind.
I say we give him the nickname Graham Crackers, if it isn't his nickname already.
Hard pass. Graham crackers are delicious and wonderful, and he is not.

malchior
Posts: 8316
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by malchior » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:56 pm

El Guapo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:47 pm
malchior wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Lindsey Graham is losing his mind.

Honestly, seems promising. Graham's a pretty craven political animal these days, and so this would suggest that the political winds are blowing against an emergency and for re-opening the government.
Oh - it is definitely promising. I'm just remarking that Graham in particular is all over the place. That he is making contradictory 'big picture' statements days apart is 'un-senatorial' at best. He is unraveling; another long-time politician laid low sucking up to Trump. Let it be an object lesson.

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17530
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Shutdown

Post by Defiant » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:22 pm


tRump's wall is a metaphor for his penis. Nobody wants to see it and he can't get it up.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31521
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Shutdown

Post by El Guapo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm

malchior wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:56 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:47 pm
malchior wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Lindsey Graham is losing his mind.

Honestly, seems promising. Graham's a pretty craven political animal these days, and so this would suggest that the political winds are blowing against an emergency and for re-opening the government.
Oh - it is definitely promising. I'm just remarking that Graham in particular is all over the place. That he is making contradictory 'big picture' statements days apart is 'un-senatorial' at best. He is unraveling; another long-time politician laid low sucking up to Trump. Let it be an object lesson.
I don't know that he's been laid low by Trump as much as his own ambition (and representing South Carolina, which naturally pulls him towards political insanity).

Speaking of the political winds:


User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 39169
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Shutdown

Post by GreenGoo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Fox, in an attempt to stoke fires of unrest towards the Dems, is reporting on the outrageous activities of the Dems during the shutdown.

Apparently some have gone to see Hamilton while the government is shut down.

The.

Horror.

malchior
Posts: 8316
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by malchior » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 am

El Guapo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm
I don't know that he's been laid low by Trump as much as his own ambition (and representing South Carolina, which naturally pulls him towards political insanity).
It is both. His ambition put him in league with Trump and Trump keeps fucking him up. Graham's original message about a 'National Emergency now!' was right after a meeting with Trump at the WH. You'd expect that Graham did it in coordination with Trump. However, deals with a devil and all that so Trump shortly thereafter tweets out that he wasn't going to declare a National Emergency. A day or so passes and Graham spits out his revisionist plan. That is being laid low by Trump *and* trying to be a big, important boy at the same time. :lol:

malchior
Posts: 8316
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by malchior » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:46 am

GreenGoo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 pm
Fox, in an attempt to stoke fires of unrest towards the Dems, is reporting on the outrageous activities of the Dems during the shutdown.

Apparently some have gone to see Hamilton while the government is shut down.

The.

Horror.
It is a bit more than that. A relatively big group is down in Puerto Rico with a small army of lobbyists on a junket. Not a great look from a PR viewpoint but also probably not much of a story outside a shutdown.

malchior
Posts: 8316
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Shutdown

Post by malchior » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 am

One more post. It looks like McConnell's strategy works again. Probably because Americans are blithering idiots who don't understand how Congress works. The 30% are obviously deplorables but 20% think it is 'the system'. Looks like we're doomed to a long shutdown. :pray:

Enlarge Image

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45197
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Shutdown

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am

malchior wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 am
One more post. It looks like McConnell's strategy works again. Probably because Americans are blithering idiots who don't understand how Congress works. The 30% are obviously deplorables but 20% think it is 'the system'. Looks like we're doomed to a long shutdown. :pray:

Enlarge Image
Well, the very fact that we can have a "shutdown" is indicative of a broken system. We are a can kicking nation.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 12662
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Shutdown

Post by Skinypupy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 am

Pelosi should tell Trump that he can have his $5B for the wall in exchange for complete protection of the Mueller investigation. :lol:
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

Post Reply