Islam is "The Truth"

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Islam is "The Truth"

Post by $iljanus »

Heh, executing that cleric almost looks like a calculated move by the Saudis to make sure things don't get too cozy with Iran after the recent agreement over the Iranian nuclear program and prior to any talks regarding Syria.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:Short of open war between them I don't see a lot of room for escalation. They are already duking it out on multiple fronts through proxies. Worst case I suppose it could lead to direct US-Russian conflict, since SA and Iran are themselves proxies. I further suppose that such a conflict would goose global oil prices, so maybe...since the US and Russian governments are themselves proxies for Big Oil.

Nahhhh.
Funny thing is that in this dispute they aren't proxies, this is their proxy struggle becoming more immediate for personal and religious reasons.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote:And Kuwait
... and Qatar and Djibouti....
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

If it's good enough for the Prophet
Another move to ban child marriages in Pakistan has fallen at the first hurdle. The bill to prohibit underage marriages has been withdrawn after the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) declared it un-Islamic.

The ruling party lawmaker, who moved the bill, withdrew her proposal on Thursday following staunch resistance from the council, which advises the legislature whether or not a certain law is Sharia-compliant.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pakistani men can beat wives 'lightly', say Islamic council
A Pakistani Islamic council has sparked outrage after suggesting husbands may “lightly beat” their wives as a form of discipline in their draft of a women’s protection bill.

In the draft bill, released on Thursday, the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) said it was permissible to beat a woman lightly should he need to punish her.

"A husband should be allowed to lightly beat his wife if she defies his commands and refuses to dress up as per his desires; turns down demand of intercourse without any religious excuse or does not take bath after intercourse or menstrual periods," Pakistan's Express-Tribune reports citing the proposal.

Formed in 1962, the CII is a constitutional body that advises parliament on the compatibility of laws with Sharia.
:ninja:
(burqa not a ninja)
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Moliere wrote:Pakistani men can beat wives 'lightly', say Islamic council
A Pakistani Islamic council has sparked outrage after suggesting husbands may “lightly beat” their wives as a form of discipline in their draft of a women’s protection bill.

In the draft bill, released on Thursday, the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) said it was permissible to beat a woman lightly should he need to punish her.

"A husband should be allowed to lightly beat his wife if she defies his commands and refuses to dress up as per his desires; turns down demand of intercourse without any religious excuse or does not take bath after intercourse or menstrual periods," Pakistan's Express-Tribune reports citing the proposal.

Formed in 1962, the CII is a constitutional body that advises parliament on the compatibility of laws with Sharia.
(burqa not a ninja)
Sometimes I spank my wife. Does that count? :shifty: :shhh:
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

msduncan wrote:

(burqa not a ninja)
Been doing it for years....

Spanking, that is

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hepcat

Re: Islam is

Post by hepcat »

Xmann wrote:
msduncan wrote:

(burqa not a ninja)

Spanking, that is

And to be clear, not msduncan's wife... right? :shock:

:wink:
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:
Xmann wrote:
msduncan wrote:

(burqa not a ninja)

Spanking, that is

He hasn't moved THAT far to the left.

:lol:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hepcat wrote:
Xmann wrote:
msduncan wrote:

(burqa not a ninja)

Spanking, that is

Your game is on today

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Rip wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Xmann wrote:
msduncan wrote:

(burqa not a ninja)

Spanking, that is

He hasn't moved THAT far to the left.

It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

On a semi-related note to this thread (not the spanking): I have an intern assigned to me who is a perfectly sweet Turkish lady who is Islamic. She even goes to our non-denominational prayer room at lunch to pray and wears a hijab (rare to see in my company).

Hopefully I'll develop enough of a friendship with her to learn a little about her culture. She's a bit reserved, but has recently tried to drop formalities and ask me about my kids, etc.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

msduncan wrote:On a semi-related note to this thread (not the spanking): I have an intern assigned to me who is a perfectly sweet Turkish lady who is Islamic. She even goes to our non-denominational prayer room at lunch to pray and wears a hijab (rare to see in my company).

Hopefully I'll develop enough of a friendship with her to learn a little about her culture. She's a bit reserved, but has recently tried to drop formalities and ask me about my kids, etc.
I really enjoy getting to know people with such a drastic difference in culture as mine.

Should be interesting.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Update on my intern:

She sharp as a whip and asks challenging questions everywhere I take her. She also has loosened up and asked about my kids, how my vacation went, etc.

Earlier this week we attended a staff meeting and they catered a meal for us. I *immediately* noticed that it had pork, ham, and a salad with bacon mixed in. Luckily I found out from her later that they offered her a meal ticket. I told her I still think they should have taken a little more time in considering the meal -- I mean it's pretty obvious with her Hijab that she wouldn't be able to eat it.

She thanked me for the concern and assured me that it was OK because the month of Ramadan just kicked off and so she's fasting this month. I took that opportunity to ask about it and she told me that they don't even drink water or liquids between sunrise and sunset. I asked if me eating my lunch in the cube next door was torture for her, and she assured me that it was OK. I've still been eating in the break room so she won't have to smell food while she's fasting.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
One of the key suspects in the hacking murder of Bangladesh-born American blogger and writer Avijit Roy has been killed in a gunfight, Bangladesh police said.

"Shariful is dead in a gunfight with police on early Sunday in Dhaka," said Abdul Baten, joint commissioner of the detective branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, at a press briefing Sunday.

At the police briefing Sunday, Baten said: "They were three on a motorbike... as police chased the motorbike they opened fire on police and Shariful was dead in police's counter attack, but two others managed to escape."
Police have said that most of the suspected militants were members of Jama'atul Mujahedin Bangladesh, a banned Islamist group.
Shariful was one of six suspects for each of whom police announced a bounty of $6,400 (half a million taka) after Roy's murder.

He was considered to be a top organizer of banned Islamist outfit Ansarullah Bangla Team, police said.

Officials suspect Shariful had links to the murders of at least two other bloggers, apart from his direct involvement in Roy's murder.
On Saturday, 100,000 Islamic scholars launched a fatwa or a religious edict, saying that militancy and terrorism in the name of Islam is un-Islamic.

Maulana Farid Uddin Masoud, chairman of Bangladesh Jamiyatul Ulama, a platform of Islamic scholars, pronounced the fatwa at a press conference in Dhaka Saturday. He told CNN that the imams would submit the fatwa to the president and prime minister.

"These killings are not a just part of Jihad, but mere acts of terrorism, and crimes against humanity," Maulana Masoud told CNN.

While the decree is not legally binding, it is hoped that it will raise awareness of what the scholars say misguided and un-Islamic actions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Quality day in Facebook-landia. I was on the train and browsing the Facebook - and thanks to a jackass I am 'friends' with - I am suddenly looking at a Jihadi holding two heads. The woman next to me audibly screams. I apologize and report it for violating community standards. Their verdict - not a violation of 'Violence and Graphic Content'. I'll let you be the judge (edited but spoiler alert the two boxes cover heads). Totally acceptable, right? Oh and it linked to a hate video against Islam. Extra nice.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Depends how they feel about snuff, I guess.

It seems to be a clear example of excessive violence (or the aftermath of it anyway).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

But don't post anything with a visible nipple!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Swap
Twenty-one of the schoolgirls kidnapped in 2014 by Boko Haram in Chibok, Nigeria, have been freed, the president's spokesman has confirmed.

Garba Shehu said the release was "the outcome of negotiations between the administration and Islamist militants".

Four imprisoned militants were reportedly freed in exchange.
President Muhammadu Buhari's spokesman said on Twitter that the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the Swiss government had acted as mediators in the talks with Boko Haram.

Mr Shehu added that negotiations were continuing.
Under the supervision of the ICRC, the girls were then released and the militants were handed over.

The students were then transported to the city of Maiduguri and placed under the supervision of the security forces.

According to the security official, most of the young women have babies.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Christian governor of Jakarta found guilty of blasphemy for saying Muslims should vote for him
The Christian governor of Jakarta has been sentenced to two years in jail for blasphemy in a case that has undermined Indonesia's reputation for practising a moderate form of Islam.

Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama said he would appeal against the guilty verdict and sentence.

The five-judge panel said he was "convincingly proven guilty of blasphemy" and ordered his arrest.

The lead judge, Dwiarso Budi Santiarto, said his comment during an election campaign that people were being deceived if they believed the Quran forbids Muslims from voting for non-Muslims had degraded and insulted Islam.

"As part of a religious society, the defendant should be careful to not use words with negative connotations regarding the symbols of religions including the religion of the defendant himself," he said.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

No Zumba For You!
Zumba exercises classes have been effectively banned in Iran after the country’s authorities declared that the dance “contravenes Islamic ideology”.

“In light of activities such as Zumba, performing rhythmic movements or dancing in any form is not legal in any shape or title and the prohibition of movements such as this is requested,” Ali Majdara, the head of Iran’s General Sports Federation, wrote in a public letter to the ministry of youth affairs earlier this month.

The federation went on to urge the development of “athletics for everyone in the framework of supreme Islamic ideology.”
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here's a 712-page (so far) list of Muslims condemning things.
Spoiler:
Terrorism. What they're condemning is acts of terror.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Looks like he was holding up traffic. He can't dance too. :dance:
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

UsulofDoom wrote:
It was a red light. He wasn't arrested for blocking traffic. He was arrested for dancing in public.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:
UsulofDoom wrote:
It was a red light. He wasn't arrested for blocking traffic. He was arrested for dancing in public.
Was his name Kevin Bacon? I wonder how many degrees of separation there are ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow - dabbing is illegal because it is a nod to drug culture and condone the use of weed. I had no idea.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I know that dabbing is a way to consume marijuana concentrates by burning them on a super-heated surface, but I didn't realize the move was related. Does it mimic the cough afterwards?
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sure you'd get similar disparities on asking questions such as these in the US.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

50 girls missing from Nigeria town after Boko Haram attack
Authorities in northern Nigeria say as many as 50 girls remain missing several days after an attack on a village by Boko Haram extremists.

Many of the girls at a local boarding school were whisked to safety when the Boko Haram militants launched their assault Monday evening in Yobe state.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Two Christians are flogged in Indonesia for playing a children's game that violates Islamic law
Two Indonesian Christians were publicly flogged in Banda Aceh province on Tuesday for playing a children's entertainment game.

The game is seen by authorities in the conservative Muslim province as 'gambling' and therefore it violates Islamic Sharia law.

Some 300 people jeered and held up their mobile phones to record when Dahlan Silitonga, 61, and Tjia Nyuk Hwa, 45, were flogged six and seven times respectively.

Islam = peace, purity, submission and obedience. Guess which three are the most important?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I struggle to reconcile "kid's game" with "gambling" with "gambling is a floggable offense" with "kid's game is a floggable offense".

At least they didn't feed them to the lions?
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

GreenGoo wrote:I struggle to reconcile "kid's game" with "gambling" with "gambling is a floggable offense" with "kid's game is a floggable offense".

At least they didn't feed them to the lions?
So craps, they were playing craps.

Also, we use black prisoners to pick cotton in Texas. Seriously. I knew prison farms were a thing but I can't wrap my brain around this.

Also we put people in prison for weed.

Sometimes We remove children from school for not swearing fealty to our government each day in school.

Sometimes our cops just shoot people in the street.

Sometimes they choke to death someone for selling smokes.

Parents send their kids to camps to brainwash their gay away.

I'm not excusing their actions, but honestly, this thread is bigoted bullshit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 amI'm not excusing their actions, but honestly, this thread is bigoted bullshit.
I think the difference for me would be the level of outrage in the community following each incident. As far as I know, each item on your list sparked outrage when it was discovered. Was there the same reaction on the home turf over there? (I honestly don't know)
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 am
I'm not excusing their actions, but honestly, this thread is bigoted bullshit.

That was established on page one, I believe. :wink:
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:16 am
Combustible Lemur wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 amI'm not excusing their actions, but honestly, this thread is bigoted bullshit.
I think the difference for me would be the level of outrage in the community following each incident. As far as I know, each item on your list sparked outrage when it was discovered. Was there the same reaction on the home turf over there? (I honestly don't know)
1/2 the things listed by Lemur are legal. What difference does it make if some people find it outrageous or not? Can't be too outrageous or it wouldn't be legal.

I'm not for old women being beaten, the post is obviously upsetting and an example of how back-asswards some countries are. That said, both Indonesia and the US have the death penalty, so there is some common ground for Moliere to take solace in.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fun fact that was omitted by Moliere's selective quote: As non-Muslims, they apparently opted to be punished under Shariah law rather than civil law, presumably because the punishment under civil law would be prison time.
Two Indonesian Christians were publicly whipped for gambling, a rare case of non-Muslims being punished here under Islamic law, as the country shifts toward a more politicized brand of the religion associated with the Middle East.

The man and woman are residents of Aceh province on the northern tip of Sumatra island, a province that has imposed strict Shariah law. They were whipped at least six times each on Tuesday by a robed man wearing a mask and wielding a rattan cane. Hundreds of onlookers jeered them as the punishment was carried out on a stage next to a mosque in the provincial capital, Banda Aceh.

Indonesia, the world’s most-populous Muslim-majority country, has long been known for its more moderate form of the religion. It has laws protecting the rights of Christians and other groups, a robust democracy and an open economy attracting investors including Toyota Motor Co. to Samsung Electronics Co. The capital Jakarta has restaurants with female staff in skimpy outfits.

But hard-line Islamic groups have been using the country’s democratic system to promote an Islamic agenda, building support among citizens with charity work and public preaching.

Last year, hard-liners succeeded in a campaign to imprison the Christian governor of Jakarta for blasphemy. Lawmakers are now negotiating a revision of the criminal code, including provisions pushed by Islamic parties that would imprison gay people or unmarried cohabiting heterosexuals.

Aceh is the only province in Indonesia governed by Shariah law, under a measure of autonomy allowed to settle a separatist conflict in the country of 250 million people.

Some 98% of Aceh’s five million people are Muslims. They can face flogging for offenses including drinking alcohol, adultery, gay sex, gambling or having romantic relationships before marriage. The province’s Shariah courts are imposing hundreds of whippings a year.

The minority in Aceh who aren’t Muslims have a choice of being punished under either the civil code or Shariah. Some choose flogging to avoid lengthy prison terms. In January, a Christian was sentenced to 36 lashes for selling alcohol.

The two Christians flogged on Tuesday were punished for playing a game at a children’s entertainment complex in a way authorities say amounted to gambling, said Yusnardi, head of Banda Aceh’s Shariah police force, which enforces laws rooted in Islamic faith. A Muslim man also involved in the case received at least 19 strokes. Details on what the game entailed weren’t immediately clear. Gambling is illegal across the whole country.

Separately on Tuesday, an unmarried Muslim man and woman received more than 20 lashes each for the offense of being intimate together.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch