Islam is "The Truth"

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Islam is "The Truth"

Post by GreenGoo »

Neat, but not surprising. You can see small elements of that mindset occasionally in North America. An obvious one is "how can you be moral if you don't believe in god?"

Shame about the beatings though. As an atheist I would literally tell them anything they wanted to hear to get them to stop beating me. What do I care?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This made me laugh.
In 2012, a wide-ranging WIN/Gallup International poll found that 5 percent of Saudi citizens—more than a million people—self-identify as “convinced atheists,” the same percentage as in the United States.
The answer of course, is that the US is a primarily religious country too. And the comment is about Saudi. Try ANY of the countries in the surrounding region and we'll see a significant drop is self identified atheists. Either due to lack of truthful responses or because of a lack of atheism.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:Neat, but not surprising. You can see small elements of that mindset occasionally in North America. An obvious one is "how can you be moral if you don't believe in god?"

Shame about the beatings though. As an atheist I would literally tell them anything they wanted to hear to get them to stop beating me. What do I care?

Then when you tell them someone has financed your effort they execute you for treason. On the bright side the beatings probably would stop.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Some great news out of Nigeria:
Nigerian troops rescued 200 girls and 93 women Tuesday in the Sambisa Forest, the Nigerian Armed Forces announced on its official Twitter account. ...

...Nigerian troops also captured and destroyed three terrorist camps in the Sambisa Forest, the armed forces said. Chibok and the Sambisa Forest are both in the northeastern part of the country. Olukolade said troops are still combing the forest.

In recent weeks, Nigerian troops and vigilantes moved into the Sambisa Forest, a known hideout for Boko Haram.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Neat, but not surprising. You can see small elements of that mindset occasionally in North America. An obvious one is "how can you be moral if you don't believe in god?"

Then when you tell them someone has financed your effort they execute you for treason. On the bright side the beatings probably would stop.
Possibly. I mean, he got out ok. Are you suggesting that they let him go specifically because he didn't confuse confess? I don't think that's how witch hunts work.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pyperkub wrote:Some great news out of Nigeria:
Nigerian troops rescued 200 girls and 93 women Tuesday in the Sambisa Forest, the Nigerian Armed Forces announced on its official Twitter account. ...

...Nigerian troops also captured and destroyed three terrorist camps in the Sambisa Forest, the armed forces said. Chibok and the Sambisa Forest are both in the northeastern part of the country. Olukolade said troops are still combing the forest.

In recent weeks, Nigerian troops and vigilantes moved into the Sambisa Forest, a known hideout for Boko Haram.
That is good news. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a country where a group of armed men can come and take your children and then vanish back to their armed camps.

Horrifying.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

China's got it all figured out.
Chinese authorities have ordered Muslim shopkeepers and restaurant owners in a village in the troubled Xinjiang region to sell alcohol and cigarettes and promote them in ‘‘eye-catching displays’’ — an attempt to undermine Islam’s hold on local residents, Radio Free Asia reported. Establishments that fail to comply may be closed and their owners prosecuted.

‘‘We have a campaign to weaken religion here, and this is part of that campaign,’’ he told the Washington-based news service.

The notice ordered restaurants and supermarkets in Aktash to sell five brands of alcohol and cigarettes and display them prominently. ‘‘Anybody who neglects this notice and fails to act will see their shops sealed off, their businesses suspended, and legal action pursued against them,’’ it said.
Party down, Mohammad!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote:China's got it all figured out.
Chinese authorities have ordered Muslim shopkeepers and restaurant owners in a village in the troubled Xinjiang region to sell alcohol and cigarettes and promote them in ‘‘eye-catching displays’’ — an attempt to undermine Islam’s hold on local residents, Radio Free Asia reported. Establishments that fail to comply may be closed and their owners prosecuted.

‘‘We have a campaign to weaken religion here, and this is part of that campaign,’’ he told the Washington-based news service.

The notice ordered restaurants and supermarkets in Aktash to sell five brands of alcohol and cigarettes and display them prominently. ‘‘Anybody who neglects this notice and fails to act will see their shops sealed off, their businesses suspended, and legal action pursued against them,’’ it said.
Party down, Mohammad!
That can only end well.

Kudos, China.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Nothing weakens religious fervor like ham-handed government suppression.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

SNL skit on drawing Mohammad
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Another blogger killed.

Bangladeshi secular blogger Ananta Bijoy Das hacked to death in third fatal attack this year
Ananta Bijoy Das, a Bangladeshi writer known for advocating science and secularism, was hacked to death by masked men wielding machetes while on his way to work Tuesday morning.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:(
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Unemployed? Willing to travel? Have experience chopping off hands and heads?

Saudi Arabia advertises for eight new executioners as “religious functionaries”
Saudi Arabia is advertising for eight new executioners, recruiting extra staff to carry out an increasing number of death sentences, usually done by public beheading.

No special qualifications are needed for the jobs whose main role is “executing a judgment of death” but also involve performing amputations on those convicted of lesser offences, the advert, posted on the civil service jobs portal, said.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's hypocrisy, not irony. :wink:
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:That's hypocrisy, not irony. :wink:
From Saudi Arabia's perspective it's ironic that they are requesting to head the Human Rights council. From my perspective it's hypocritical. Did I get the difference right? :think:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just teasin' a bit. Irony is notoriously hard to pin down correctly in everyone's eyes. But in my opinion, Iran is simply being hypocritical.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:Iran is simply being hypocritical.
Is it ironic that a noted bleeding heart liberal thinks all Middle Eastern countries look alike? :wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Without a universal definition of "human rights" it's not necessarily ironic or hypocritical. Saudi Arabia may be interested in fixing the system to match up with their idea of "human rights."

Irony would be if it rained at Sultan bin Salman's wedding.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Iran is simply being hypocritical.
No, they are being iranic.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote:
:lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote:
Is it ironic that a noted bleeding heart liberal thinks all Middle Eastern countries look alike? :wink:
Sorry, I was perusing some stuff on the Iranian deal prior to this. But if you want to turn a typo into a passive aggressive insult, have at it. :P
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Sorry, I was perusing some stuff on the Iranian deal prior to this. But if you want to turn a typo into a passive aggressive insult, have at it. :P
Nah, I'm done. Kraken's joke was funnier.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On that we agree.

And when a noted bleeding heart liberal can agree with a well known far right conservative, things might be looking up.
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote:China's got it all figured out.

Party down, Mohammad!
You really don't hear about Islamic terrorism inside China much.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote:
:lol:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote:Terrorist Attack in France Leaves One Decapitated at Factory
NY Times
Three French officials say the decapitated victim found in an attack on an American gas factory in France was the suspect's employer.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing, said the victim was believed to have died before the suspect got a car through the factory's gates and rammed into gas canisters Friday morning. That triggered an explosion that officials say injured two people.

A French police official says the man in custody, Yassine Salhi, is a resident in his 30s of the Lyon suburb of Saint-Priest. Police have not named his employer but say he is the head of a local transportation company.
:doh:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think it's already been declared on Islam by Islam. Islamic militants target and kill more Muslims than anyone else.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
I think it's already been declared on Islam by Islam. Islamic militants target and kill more Muslims than anyone else.
I assume Drazzil meant

"out and out war against the subset of Islam that perpetrates violence in its name while enmeshed within the larger, multifarious character of the religion as it exists across a broad spectrum of cultural and national contexts," temporarily forgetting that that is what we've been trying in one way or another since 2001,

and not

"out and out war like the Nazis and Taliban do it."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
I assume Drazzil meant

"out and out war against the subset of Islam that perpetrates violence in its name while enmeshed within the larger, multifarious character of the religion as it exists across a broad spectrum of cultural and national contexts," temporarily forgetting that that is what we've been trying in one way or another since 2001,

and not

"out and out war like the Nazis and Taliban do it."
I wish I had meant that. That sounds better. As horrifying as it sounds, I think the rest of the world is going to turn on Islam as a whole not long from now. I think that they will do it because a lot of Muslims turn a blind eye to what is going on, if not actively supporting it.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Terrorist conversation:

"Today's wave of violence will strike fear in the hearts of those heathen Americans!"

"Uh, I think they're all busy celebrating gay marriage."

"Shit."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:D

Well they might be happy to find out not everyone is celebrating.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A depressing book about Islam and why we're not likely to see a corresponding Reformation.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

In Afghanistan, Death Threats Shatter Dream of First Female Pilot
At age 21, Niloofar Rahmani became Afghanistan’s first female fixed-wing military pilot, living out her father’s dream and emerging as a symbol of her country’s revolutionary assent to roles for women outside the home.

That was also when her life began to unravel. “This was my dream job,” the Afghan Air Force captain said. “I never thought I would want to quit.”

Now 23 years old, Capt. Rahmani faces death threats from both the Taliban and members of her extended family for daring to work in the male-dominated world of military aviation. Her parents and siblings also fear for their lives, and the family of eight lives in hiding, their comfortable middle-class life lost.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Saudi Arabia Cuts Ties With Iran Amid Fallout From Cleric’s Execution
Saudi Arabia cut diplomatic ties with Iran on Sunday and gave all Iranian diplomats 48 hours to leave the kingdom, as escalating tensions over the execution of an outspoken Shiite cleric in Saudi Arabia marked a new low in relations between the two Middle Eastern powers.

The surprise move, announced in a televised news conference by Adel al-Jubeir, the Saudi foreign minister, followed harsh criticism by Iranian leaders of the Saudis’ execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr and the storming of the Saudi Embassy in Tehran by protesters in response.

Mr. Jubeir said that the kingdom would not allow Iran to undermine its security.

The supreme leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, warned Saturday that Saudi Arabia would face divine vengeance for the execution of Sheikh Nimr, a day after protesters ransacked the Saudi Embassy in Tehran. Saudi Arabia, which put the cleric to death in a mass execution Saturday of 47 men accused of terrorism-related offenses, fired back, saying Iran had “revealed its true face represented in support for terrorism.”
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Moliere wrote:Saudi Arabia Cuts Ties With Iran Amid Fallout From Cleric’s Execution
Saudi Arabia cut diplomatic ties with Iran on Sunday and gave all Iranian diplomats 48 hours to leave the kingdom, as escalating tensions over the execution of an outspoken Shiite cleric in Saudi Arabia marked a new low in relations between the two Middle Eastern powers.

The surprise move, announced in a televised news conference by Adel al-Jubeir, the Saudi foreign minister, followed harsh criticism by Iranian leaders of the Saudis’ execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr and the storming of the Saudi Embassy in Tehran by protesters in response.

Mr. Jubeir said that the kingdom would not allow Iran to undermine its security.

The supreme leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, warned Saturday that Saudi Arabia would face divine vengeance for the execution of Sheikh Nimr, a day after protesters ransacked the Saudi Embassy in Tehran. Saudi Arabia, which put the cleric to death in a mass execution Saturday of 47 men accused of terrorism-related offenses, fired back, saying Iran had “revealed its true face represented in support for terrorism.”
From what I've read about that cleric he wasn't the typical radical advocating the violent overthrow of the House of Saud over Shia vs Sunni differences but called upon all Muslims, regardless of whatever sect they belong to, to call for a change in autocratic rule that has dominated the region in a non violent manner. They just decided to rid themselves of a political threat to their rule and have now unleashed a political shitstorm in the already volatile Middle East.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Short of open war between them I don't see a lot of room for escalation. They are already duking it out on multiple fronts through proxies. Worst case I suppose it could lead to direct US-Russian conflict, since SA and Iran are themselves proxies. I further suppose that such a conflict would goose global oil prices, so maybe...since the US and Russian governments are themselves proxies for Big Oil.

Nahhhh.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »