Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

naednek

Re: Pictures for R&P

Post by naednek »

Moliere wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I must be missing something. What's so special about Obama and John Kerry shaking hands?
I was thinking that Sarah Jessica Parker has big arms.

If I was drinking my coffee this morning, it would be over my monitor

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol:
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Enough

Post by Enough »

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Defiant wrote:Not a picture, but a video:

The Minimum Wage? Superfragalisticexpialibullshit
The Rebuttal
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote:

The Rebuttal
Well, I couldn't get through the first one, but at least the second was short.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

GreenGoo wrote:
Moliere wrote:

The Rebuttal
Do they not show classic movies in Canada?

The second one was much less clever. "Just 3 pages of econ?" Ok, not clever at all. :angry-nono:

Mary Poppins: Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Moliere wrote:

The Rebuttal

The second one was much less clever. "Just 3 pages of econ?" Ok, not clever at all. :angry-nono:

Mary Poppins: Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking.
I didn't say I didn't understand it, I just couldn't sit through it. It was pretty awful. The second one was also awful, but ended before I closed to tab.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

GreenGoo wrote:
Zarathud wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Moliere wrote:

The Rebuttal

I didn't say I didn't understand it, I just couldn't sit through it. It was pretty awful. The second one was also awful, but ended before I closed to tab.
You are a terrible person. They were both well done. (the second I'm giving more credit for for the speed at which it was created)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Defiant wrote:
You are a terrible person.
Well, duh.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"Should I turn my head and cough while you're down there?"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Protest Warrior-style lampoon signs against zealots.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lame. Mocking people because they disagree with you is not argument.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Satire is totally a thing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The pictured signs aren't satire by any stretch. They're just "Get a Brain, Morans" with better spelling.

(After following the link, I think the "Women's Rights Expert -->" sign is the only one that has any oomph.)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think the "He is single" sign would qualify as satire (whether it's well done or not is another issue). He's advocating support for pregnant women instead of abortions, so the sign is letting the pregnant women know that he is single and ready to support them. Again, it's arguable whether it's well done or not, but it's still more than just mockery.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

If the original protestors do indeed switch focus from the people looking to access the clinic's services and engage with the couple with the silly signs instead, as stated... mission accomplished.

They're not looking for a debate. They're creating a diversion. I like it.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The Catholic.org view on it is "See? See? See how these 'supporters' of abortion treat the situation as total mockery? Is this how you want abortion to be treated?"
No, those "creative" people (the girl in her bathrobe and the hippie with his pants falling off) are here to help you in your worst hour. They want to comfort you and tell you that you have options. They want to share the truth with you and offer you a free ultrasound. NO, that is not their intention. That group of anti-lifers are enjoying the limelight by making a mockery of your horrible day.
Which, of course, means they totally missed the point, intentionally or not.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Has anyone ever accused a church organization of having a sense of humor?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote:Lame. Mocking people because they disagree with you is not argument.
I don't understand. What argument are the original sign holders forwarding?

Posit: "Babies are murdered here"
Counter: "No they're not"

"Pregnant mothers need support, not abortion"
"Ok" or "Maybe" or "depends on the situation"

Is that the sort of debate you were expecting to see between sign holders, Holman?
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't want to make too much of this. Signs are generally weak anyway.

But a sign that says "This is my position" at least means taking a stand. Of course the physical presence of the sign-holder is actually the meaningful part, but the sign at least indicates the reason for it.

Meanwhile, a counter-sign that says "These guys are just stupid -->" strikes me as less of a stand than one that says "Well, this is MY position." If nothing else, mockery probably builds sympathy for the person being mocked.

I think if the political valence were reversed, most of us here would be significantly less impressed with the satirical wit of the mockers. What bugs me about it is that I like to believe we can still have some respect for our political opponents. It bothers me especially when it falls short on my side.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I hear you. I feel that way every time I see a picture of a woman protesting for gay marriage with a meme about how ugly or fat etc she is and that no man wants her. I find it makes it much more difficult to support a cause when is pursues mindless and hurtful attacks on people that have zilch to do with the issue being discussed.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

In the case of pro-life protestors outside a clinic, they are often there not just to state a position (and certainly not to engage in a meaningful debate), but to shame people who would like to access the clinic (not necessarily for an abortion either) into not using the clinic. They get right up in people's faces and try to intimidate them into not going into the building.

I cannot speak to the specifics of that particular clinic or those particular protestors (you see repeated images of the pro-life folks in different clothes as well, so they apparently are regulars there). Maybe all they do is stand there with their signs. Maybe they never actually directly bother anyone who would just like to talk to a professional about affordable birth control options. Maybe.

At any rate, I'm inclined to view someone's efforts to distract these protestors away from targetting individuals trying to get into the clinic as similar to people dressing up as angels to block the visibility of Westboro Baptist protest signs at funerals.

A lot of people who would be accessing this facility are probably already having kind of a lousy day, you know?
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Holman

Post by Holman »

That's true, Silverjon. The pro-life protester's tactics definitely also need to meet a baseline of decency and respect, and in lots of cases they certainly don't. This Supreme Court seems to enjoy making it easier for them to harass women rather than just state their position.

I was just struck by how lame the "I'm with Stupid" tactic seemed to me--that's my whole comment here. Of course the actual aggression shown by many pro-lifers at clinics is more vile any bad joke signs.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I always lean to the side of mockery, especially if the targets are buffoons. I find it interesting that the clinic blockers are apparently incapable of responding in kind. If I drove by one of these I would definitely give a horny honk.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Feel free to check my work.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image

Feel free to check my work.
First laugh of the day goes to.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:Feel free to check my work.
The web designer is using a bad URL. The "edit" seems like an obvious mistake. Not sure if I'm ruining your joke. Click here for the site.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fair enough. Should I shift criticism to a group of government employees that can't get a simple website to work properly? :wink:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:Should I shift criticism to a group of government employees that can't get a simple website to work properly? :wink:
If you like picking low hanging fruit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Moliere wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Feel free to check my work.
The web designer is using a bad URL. The "edit" seems like an obvious mistake. Not sure if I'm ruining your joke. Click here for the site.
I read the page. You aren't ruining the joke at all.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »