Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:09 am
Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:05 am Apparently it isn't safe to assume that.
What steps do you guys take, on a daily basis, to prevent yourselves from being sexually assaulted?
Yawn.

Safe to assume doesn't mean 100% accuracy otherwise it wouldn't be an assumption. Finding out after the fact (I was typing my response when more details were given) doesn't change anything, or require specific refutation.

In any case, many of the right column are anti-assault techniques/tactics/thoughts that women have answered to a sexual assault question. Many of those clearly apply to many males as well, for avoiding assault.

Does anyone really need to be reminded that women are regularly victims of sexual assault whereas men are not? Perhaps some people do, but many (most?) of us don't.

That doesn't mean I'm opposed to getting the message out. Somehow communicating with the target demographic would obviously be incredibly difficult, as you'd need to understand what people think beforehand. A full on broadcast to everyone everywhere is the best way to reach those people. That the rest of us aren't shocked or informed by the graphic is not a problem. I believe the first time I saw the graphic it was because some men were "offended" by it and pushed back, so the poster (tweeter?) decided to be even more forceful about the message.
Why so touchy, bro?

I simply wanted to know what the actual question was that produced those responses with that gender dichotomy. If I wanted a mansplanation of how men are also victims of crime, the thread had already provided ample bounty.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:46 am Why so touchy, bro?
Because you're kind of a smug, know-it-all dick, but you knew that already.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn dude. I'm hoping this is just an online persona, and you don't actually this worked up over everything in your life.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 pm Damn dude. I'm hoping this is just an online persona, and you don't actually this worked up over everything in your life.
He seems to be drifting in a dark place lately, eager to lash out. Probably has something to do with a cheese tariff.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 pm
Jeez. I'm at least a little self-aware that I fit that profile.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 pm
You're not wrong. This time. :lol:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 pm Damn dude. I'm hoping this is just an online persona, and you don't actually this worked up over everything in your life.
He seems to be drifting in a dark place lately, eager to lash out. Probably has something to do with a cheese tariff.
I don't feel that's any more true than normal, but I'm not on the outside looking in.

For the record, I find Max's constant corrections not just to me, but the forum as a whole, pedantic and petty more often than not. What you just witnessed is months and months of frustrations from those observations coming out all at once. It's not this particular time has any special meaning. Like sands through an hourglass, so are the days of our lives. Or something.

And yes, I do getting pissed about stuff like this in real life, as several forum members can attest, but I don't get worked up about *everything*. In fact I'd like to believe I'm more tolerant than I appear as it's something that I am mindful about, and I'd also like to believe that those who are most familiar with me understand that it's almost always the ongoing accumulation of frustration that ends in an outburst, and not any single event.

With that said, there is definitely an online aspect to it as well.

Shrug. It is what it is.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'd like to think I'm not seen as a smug know-it-all dick. I try to shoot for annoyingly opinionated ignorance.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:15 pm You're not wrong. This time. :lol:
Cool. It's not like I don't like you.

Peace.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If I didn't spend so much time here and care about the community here, I probably wouldn't pay close enough attention to get frustrated and have an outburst.

It's not like I have these outbursts on Tom's, or 1/4 to 3, or most other places really.

I do think I spend too much time here though. I should be spending at least some of my time here on something more productive. Moderation in all things and all that. That would reduce my frustrations in general.

Also, drumpf eats away at me every day. I've heard others claim that it has sent them into a depression or generally mess with their mood on a daily basis, and it's unfortunately true for me as well. Of course he shouldn't, and he has very little impact on me personally, but it's like you guys elected the devil, and 40% of you think that's alright. It's hard to ignore. Although in this case he's not evil (well, probably not) just a completely amoral, self obsessed (this one bothers me more than it should), idiot who's too stupid to realize that he's too stupid to be president.

Also also, I'm not sleeping great, and haven't for quite awhile, so I'm constantly irritable.

Also also also, some strife at home.

Enough about me. Sorry for the derail and drama. Afk time.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sometimes we lash out at those we love, the most.
:|

:wub:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:23 pmAlso, drumpf eats away at me every day. I've heard others claim that it has sent them into a depression or generally mess with their mood on a daily basis, and it's unfortunately true for me as well.
My wife and I sleep less soundly and have been more irritable. She's constantly hating the news, afraid to look away - as am I. Neither of us was even the slightest politically inclined before the 2016 Presidental election, and we both voted against him for what little it was worth. You know, crooks gonna crook, right? Who cares? Not any more. I know of multiple real-life people who've had to up their dosages on meds to cope with the extra anxiety and depression since November 2016. I can't even imagine how someone who cared about politics before 2016 feels now. I feel really bad for the poor bastards driving around with Bernie 2016 stickers on their cars.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

"I'm rich af".

Lol.

"I'll be dead soon"

Also lol.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:18 pm For the record, I find Max's constant corrections not just to me, but the forum as a whole, pedantic and petty more often than not.
If I'm so insufferable, feel free to click that "Add Foe" button. It's there for a reason.

Rip

Post by Rip »

Love that ad.

It is funny because it is true!
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

The thumps at the end made me think the Morrowind theme was going to play
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:50 pm If I'm so insufferable, feel free to click that "Add Foe" button. It's there for a reason.
Right, it's there for a reason, but not this reason.

I'd much rather be annoyed by you on occasion than to create myself a box where no one ever says anything I don't like.

I can be annoyed by you and still feel the things you say have value. It doesn't have to be either/or.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

To be fair he treats most reporters like that.

Also to be fair, he is a self avowed misogynist, so maybe it's a double whammy for him.

My point is, I guess, that he is certainly a misogynist, but this isn't necessarily more evidence of that. It could just be evidence that he's an asshole. I won't state unequivocally that it's not evidence of misogyny though, because it might be.

I need to keep an open mind about such things. I don't want to jump to any conclusions. That would be unfair.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

One time I wish a reporter would say, "You know what, fuck you, Mr. President."

I'd like to ask Trump supporters - would you stand for a teacher treating your daughter like that?
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:32 am I'd like to ask Trump supporters - would you stand for a teacher treating your daughter like that?
Better analogy is that he's a teacher treating a parent like that. He has status, but he has no actual authority over the press.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Not that it makes it any better, but if people didn't get it - - Trump, thought she said "I'm not thinking, Mr. President" - to which he replied "I know your not thinking, you never do".

I had to hear it twice before I even understood why he blurted that out.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

actually, I was probably the only one. Sorry. :P
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok, so he's a hard of hearing asshole.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

The trailer for the new Adam McKay movie Vice about Dick Cheney has some pretty spot on portrayals (Cheney is played by Christian Bale):

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Christian Bale has really let himself go.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:30 am To be fair he treats most reporters like that.
No he doesn't. This one stands out as particularly mean-spirited.
Last edited by Alefroth on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:32 am One time I wish a reporter would say, "You know what, fuck you, Mr. President."

I'd like to ask Trump supporters - would you stand for a teacher treating your daughter like that?
I'd like to see them stick together and if a reporter gets passed over, ask their question. Or if one gets insulted, keep asking for a follow up to the insult.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:01 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:32 am One time I wish a reporter would say, "You know what, fuck you, Mr. President."

I'd like to see them stick together and if a reporter gets passed over, ask their question. Or if one gets insulted, keep asking for a follow up to the insult.
I'd love it too but they won't for a lot of reasons.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:59 am
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:30 am To be fair he treats most reporters like that.
No he doesn't. This one stands out as particularly mean-spirited.
Perhaps not most, but he has certainly used that "you never do" line before, and he has certainly been more aggressively disdainful before as well.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Captain Caveman wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:46 am The trailer for the new Adam McKay movie Vice about Dick Cheney has some pretty spot on portrayals (Cheney is played by Christian Bale):
Bale said that he "ate a lot of pies" to train for the role.

Sam Rockwell as W? I'm in.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:51 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:46 am The trailer for the new Adam McKay movie Vice about Dick Cheney has some pretty spot on portrayals (Cheney is played by Christian Bale):

Great casting, but is this a black comedy?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I would never recognize Bale in that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:51 pm

I gather that it's about Cheney's shadow presidency. Good luck playing that for laughs. I used to hear Benjamin Franklin referred to as "the only President of the US who was never President of the US," but now he has company.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:51 pm

I gather that it's about Cheney's shadow presidency. Good luck playing that for laughs. I used to hear Benjamin Franklin referred to as "the only President of the US who was never President of the US," but now he has company.
I think that was more for his overall influence on the founding of the US rather than for him being any type of shadow president. Washington was inaugurated on April 30, 1789 and Franklin died on April 17, 1790. He was pretty frail at the time and lived in Philadelphia, while the seat of the government at that time was in New York (it didn't move to Philadelphia until some time after that).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 pm I gather that it's about Cheney's shadow presidency. Good luck playing that for laughs.
Same director as The Big Short, so I think they've got a chance.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Unfortunately, both sides right now would flock to that - and half the US would grunt, roll over, and go back to sleep.
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paingod wrote:Unfortunately, both sides right now would flock to that - and half the US would grunt, roll over, and go back to sleep.
Or ask “what’s a midterm?” :(