Holman

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Holman »

He lived in NYC for seven decades without learning to pronounce "Puerto Rico."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Holman wrote:He lived in NYC for seven decades without learning to pronounce "Puerto Rico."
Well he was born in Jamaica, so it figures he has an accent.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just keeps proving he is an egotistical uncaring moron. Total nitwit moron. And yet no one seems to care. Good Lord we suck. Seems he only embarrasses smart Americans.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enlarge Image
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I would venture to guess that Eminem isn’t too fond of Mr. Trump. :shock:
https://twitter.com/bet/status/917918947017666561
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote: link
Heh, this one was pretty good too.
@impiri wrote:“OK, I need a name for an oil company executive”
“Tex Drillerson!”
“Christ, please, just try for once”
“Rex… Tillerson?”
“…”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Worth noting that she's a grad student TA, not a professor with courses of her own.

Apparently she's already being talked to by her department and administration.

But, sure, according to right-wing Twitter this is the end of Western Civilization.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 am Worth noting that she's a grad student TA, not a professor with courses of her own.

Apparently she's already being talked to by her department and administration.

But, sure, according to right-wing Twitter this is the end of Western Civilization.
Apparently being a critic makes you a nazi.

Holman

Post by Holman »

I imagine she *has* heard from quite a few Nazis since this blew up on her.
tgb

Post by tgb »

A question regarding PC.

How is it that "people of color" is an acceptable term, while "colored people" (a term used by my parents and their peers) isn't?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

tgb wrote:A question regarding PC.

How is it that "people of color" is an acceptable term, while "colored people" (a term used by my parents and their peers) isn't?
Because POC wasn't what was written on water fountains and bathrooms, and restaurants.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Holman

Post by Holman »

tgb wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:59 am A question regarding PC.

My sense is that writers and activists in the 80s and 90s promoted the term specifically as a repurposing and reorientation of the old term "colored." Denotatively, they would seem to be equivalent, but connotation is everything here.

Maybe in a decade or two the unwieldy "people of color" will be slanged back to "colored," but it won't be the same any more than "queer" (then a slur, now a badge of pride) is the same now as it was in the 1950s.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Fair points, both.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tgb wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:24 am Fair points, both.
Also, from my understanding of the American context in particular, "colored" historically means "black" while "people of color" means "not white" and is intended to encompass all racial minorities.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Personally, I just prefer the term "minorities" , which would include religious minorities, sexual minorities and women (yeah, yeah, I know that women are technically a majority, but under that logic, Caucasian is a racial minority and, well, white is a color. No wait, a second, isn't black not a color? Or is it white that's not a color or is it both?)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Moliere wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:10 am Image
What was her context to shove this out into the world? Can we just stop read/posting/retweeting twitter already? Nothing good comes of it. Are people just that thirsty for attention? Do they all want to be president now too? Sigh.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think her tweet was badly done, but in the interest of full context, here's what I understand went down:

The much-quoted tweet came at the end of a chain of discussion (now made private, but discussed here and there before it was) on class participation and student involvement in class. Part of the discussion (or one of its premises, anyway, since people talk about this same topic all the time) was that minority or disadvantaged students often arrive at college less willing to speak up in class than their more affluent and comfortable peers.

Basically, she (probably) wasn't saying "I will never call on white males because FUCK WHITEY" as much as "I don't need to call on white males because they will usually make sure that they talk enough anyway."

It's possible that she runs such a tight ship that no one ever gets to speak unless called upon, but it seems more likely (based on every college classroom I've ever seen) that she's talking about calling on students when no one has volunteered anything already. In other words, she's probably TRYING to say (and saying badly) that she goes out of her way to call on the minorities when it's necessary to call on someone.

I can't guarantee it, but it's possible that this is just an instance of the same advice given to all teachers everywhere: when given the chance, call on the quiet kids.

FWIW, the Daily Pennsylvanian (Penn's student paper) has interviewed white students who say they saw no signs of bias in her class.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

POC? Pocahontas?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

She doesn't deserve to be a teacher with a mind like that. And isn't her name racist?

EDIT: Oh never mind she did lose her job. Then she blamed racists for getting her racist ass fired.

Enlarge Image

LINK to comments
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Defiant wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:12 pm Image
There was a neighbor when I was a kid that Id go to their house on Halloween and a giant empty bowl sat there with a note saying "Please take only one" ....So either they were Republican or they just didn't give us anything to start with and pretended they did. Oh wait.....
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 am
Defiant wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:12 pm Image
There was a neighbor when I was a kid that Id go to their house on Halloween and a giant empty bowl sat there with a note saying "Please take only one" ....So either they were Republican or they just didn't give us anything to start with and pretended they did. Oh wait.....
If somebody wanted to scare the living crap out of some kids they could set up a video camera, and if anyone took more than one set off police sirens and flashing lights.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
PLW

Post by PLW »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:44 am She doesn't deserve to be a teacher with a mind like that. And isn't her name racist?
Help me understand. If studies show that teachers unconsciously call on men more than women, why does trying to consciously do the reverse mean that you don't deserve to be a teacher?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

PLW wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:27 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:44 am She doesn't deserve to be a teacher with a mind like that. And isn't her name racist?
Help me understand. If studies show that teachers unconsciously call on men more than women, why does trying to consciously do the reverse mean that you don't deserve to be a teacher?
Because they don't show that teachers pick women only when all other options have been exhuasted.

My bigger beef is her design is sketchy. There's no doubt you should pick anyone but Hermione. Often that winds up being a guy. But for every guy that plays that role there's also a Neville. It's not the gender, it's the aggressiveness and specifically calling out gender warrants criticism.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rand Paul: You know you are in too many wars in too many places when even warmonger Lindsay Graham can’t keep track anymore
Rip

Post by Rip »

At this point I'm not sure a majority of congress could recall what they had for breakfast.....
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

The tweet storm will be epic.

Another vote unshackled and perhaps better late than never but I have a hard time mustering up too much sympathy.

Let's see how the next votes go before anointing him.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:11 pm The tweet storm will be epic.

Another vote unshackled and perhaps better late than never but I have a hard time mustering up too much sympathy.

I'm tired of these guys retiring. Corker supported Trump and now runs away from the mess he helped make. Fucking stay in office and fight all the idiocy coming from the WH. You helped put the shit pile there. You stay and help clean it up. Reach across the aisle and work with the Dems. Pull other borderline Rupubs into a coalition of sanity. Do what you can but running away from it by retiring is simply cowardice in my eyes.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I assume that it's distancing and re-positioning for running again later, once Trump is gone.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

TheMix wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:09 am I assume that it's distancing and re-positioning for running again later, once Trump is gone.
Which is even worse really. There is a real and present danger in the form of Trump but rather than stand and face that danger they are hiding under their desks to try and emerge later? Wow. Great leadership there. They could easily gain so much of my respect by simply taking a stand against him and doing what they can with their votes and public voices to minimize the damage he does instead of running. Instead they choose the path of least resistance and thus simply reinforce my view of the Repub party in general.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:09 am I assume that it's distancing and re-positioning for running again later, once Trump is gone.
I also think it's that they had zero chance of remaining in office after elections. There is still way too much idiocy in the voting pool in the areas they come from, so they'll vote for whatever the dumb orange guy on TV that promised them things says...or whatever candidate can ensure a white, straight world for their children.
Covfefe!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Remus West wrote:

I'm tired of these guys retiring. Corker supported Trump and now runs away from the mess he helped make. Fucking stay in office and fight all the idiocy coming from the WH. You helped put the shit pile there. You stay and help clean it up. Reach across the aisle and work with the Dems. Pull other borderline Rupubs into a coalition of sanity. Do what you can but running away from it by retiring is simply cowardice in my eyes.
I don't disagree.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
malchior

Post by malchior »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:30 pm
Remus West wrote:

I don't disagree.
It is a matter of them not having a choice about staying in office. They are victims of the civil war in the GOP. The certainty that they would lose is why they are both free to attack and hopefully save others on the periphery right now.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.