Ellen Page comes out as gay

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Ellen Page comes out as gay

Post by Moliere »

Ellen Page comes out as gay at Las Vegas conference for LGBT teens

It will be nice when this stuff is no longer news. Having been raised in CA I had so many gay co-workers, bosses, and friends to the point that it is a non-event. You're gay? Who cares? That's like telling me you have brown hair. It's a fact about you that doesn't really mean anything to me. I like Doug Stanhope's stand up bit about the value in teenagers hearing someone is gay in a tone like it doesn't mean anything. No drama, heavy tones, talk of being courageous or brave, just a statement of fact with little value. Continuing to make such a big deal out of these revelations almost seems counterproductive.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Re: Ellen Page comes out as gay

Post by El Guapo »

A steady stream of revelations that people are aware of is exactly how it becomes commonplace. Seeing the same story ('someone prominent is gay') 50 times is how that story becomes boring.
Black Lives Matter.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

El Guapo wrote:A steady stream of revelations that people are aware of is exactly how it becomes commonplace. Seeing the same story ('someone prominent is gay') 50 times is how that story becomes boring.
Yup, I saw this and my first thought was huh it's weird that she felt she had to wait.

I know there is serious bias out there but it's so alien in my daily existence. Even my students, who are not the cutting edge of liberalism, almost find the idea of overt homophobia alien. They say the wrong things and are in a culture that is homophobic, but they all seem to have friends and compatriots who are gay and progressive etc. It's part of the landscape.

Sent courtesy of the Galaxy.... note2.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

(edit fantasy)

My chances just fell but the stakes got higher. If you're reading this, Ellen, I forgive you. :dance:
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

While I never specifically thought, "I bet Ellen Page is gay", I'm really not surprised.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Kraken wrote:(edit fantasy)

My chances just fell but the stakes got higher. If you're reading this, Ellen, I forgive you. :dance:
Well, there's still a chance.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

Hard candy is still one of my favorite movies.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Markstrink wrote:Hard candy is still one of my favorite movies.
I'm sure you mean; even after all these years
not; even if she's gay.

:wink: :)
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

Honestly. I didn't care is she was gay or straight. I really am indifferent. Like Michael Sam. I don't care. I don't think Paige was using it to advance her career or put herself into the media, though I could be wrong. Where as I do think Michael Sam may have made his announcement to sort of bump his media position. I so believe it may hurt his career though.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

At least Anderson Cooper is trying to keep his battle with gayness private.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
pengo

Post by pengo »

So what.....

USA has come a long way, back in the day it was illegal to be gay. Ellen lost her sitcom coz she was gay now she is like Oprah lite. Society is slowly progressive for the better at least in the US of A.

Russia has a bit of a way to go as they think you are a kiddy fiddler if you are gay. They confuse homosexuality with being a Catholic priest.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

pengo wrote:Russia has a bit of a way to go as they think you are a kiddy fiddler if you are gay. They confuse homosexuality with being a Catholic priest.
Wow, bringing up an old thread for a tired anti-Catholic joke. Classy.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
pengo

Post by pengo »

Old thread came up in the list of view active topics list. Didn't check the date so didn't think it was an old thread.

Tired joke for tired old russia's homophobia.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Feb 15, 2014 is old now? Ouch.

Also, didn't everyone already know that Ellen was gay? Didn't she marry a woman publicly?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think you're thinking of a different Ellen... One that hosts a talk show and the Oscars
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Yeah, I guess a month isn't "old".
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
pengo

Post by pengo »

Sorry to cause confusion over the gay Ellens.

Ellen D is the talk show host, comedian, actor. She married Portia de Rossi.

Ellen P is just the actor.
Isgrimnur

Re: Elliott Page comes out as trans

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
Elliot Page, the Oscar-nominated star of “Juno” and Netflix’s “The Umbrella Academy,” has announced he is transgender.

Elliot, formerly known as Ellen Page, addressed his social media followers
Page uses both he/him and they/them pronouns, and describes himself as transgender and non-binary, meaning that his gender identity is neither man nor woman.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

But what does this mean for s3 of the umbrella academy?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Probably the same as her being gay meant for seasons 1 and 2. Nothing.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:36 pm Variety
Elliot Page, the Oscar-nominated star of “Juno” and Netflix’s “The Umbrella Academy,” has announced he is transgender.

Page uses both he/him and they/them pronouns, and describes himself as transgender and non-binary, meaning that his gender identity is neither man nor woman.
If "his" gender identity is neither man nor woman, why is "he" being described as "him"?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because that what he prefers.
“Hi friends, I want to share with you that I am trans, my pronouns are he/they and my name is Elliot."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

stimpy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:03 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:36 pm Variety

If "his" gender identity is neither man nor woman, why is "he" being described as "him"?
Because English uses pronouns.

Some people ask to be referred to as "they/them," but then someone comes along and complains about grammatical number.

Identifying as nonbinary but asking for this or that pronoun is pretty routine. Yeah, it's complicated, but so is identity.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I would just think that someone that doesnt want to be identified as either man nor woman, would find offense to still being called he or she.
Eh.......to each their own, I guess.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stimpy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:29 pm I would just think that someone that doesnt want to be identified as either man nor woman, would find offense to still being called he or she.
In Hollywood, He's make more than the She's, generally.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stimpy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:29 pm I would just think that someone that doesnt want to be identified as either man nor woman, would find offense to still being called he or she.
That's not an uncommon thought - at least, I don't think so. However, it's what he's asked we all use, so that's what we do.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

It's weird that this is in the "religion and politics" section. He's just this guy, you know?
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Eel Snave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:35 am It's weird that this is in the "religion and politics" section. He's just this guy, you know?
In 2014 we naively thought that a switch hitting actress changing teams was politically relevant.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Not weird until the world comes to terms with this kind of choice. Pretty sure if the thread started in EBG, it would get moved here soon enough.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Eel Snave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:35 am It's weird that this is in the "religion and politics" section. He's just this guy, you know?
As Jaymann points out, folks were weirder in 2014. You're absolutely correct that this feels weird (and a bit shameful) in 2020.
Freyland wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:09 am Not weird until the world comes to terms with this kind of choice. Pretty sure if the thread started in EBG, it would get moved here soon enough.
Ummmm... no.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was my first reaction as well. I was even going to comment on it. Then I checked and saw the date and let it pass.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

The Meal wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:10 am
As Jaymann points out, folks were weirder in 2014. You're absolutely correct that this feels weird (and a bit shameful) in 2020.
Freyland wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:09 am Not weird until the world comes to terms with this kind of choice. Pretty sure if the thread started in EBG, it would get moved here soon enough.
Ummmm... no.
For discussions sake, what do you mean by "no"? I'm curious if we are talking about the same thing.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Freyland wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 am
Ummmm... no.
For discussions sake, what do you mean by "no"? I'm curious if we are talking about the same thing.
Threads don't get moved based on how their topic morphs. The "this thread will get moved if I talk about [blah blah blah]" is not how these boards operate. I've sensed a rise in folks saying such things lately and this happens to be the time I'm responding.

I recognize we've all got different reference points in terms of our experience with non-binary sex/gender organization, and that has a heavy influence on what we think of as typical. I'm at the point where my world has come to terms with this. Based on your quote, above, I'm guessing this is not (yet) your reference point.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Back in 2014, it was still (kind of) a political statement when a major celebrity came out as gay.

These days? Not so much.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

The Meal wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:27 am
Freyland wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 am
Ummmm... no.
Threads don't get moved based on how their topic morphs. The "this thread will get moved if I talk about [blah blah blah]" is not how these boards operate. I've sensed a rise in folks saying such things lately and this happens to be the time I'm responding.

I recognize we've all got different reference points in terms of our experience with non-binary sex/gender organization, and that has a heavy influence on what we think of as typical. I'm at the point where my world has come to terms with this. Based on your quote, above, I'm guessing this is not (yet) your reference point.
Ah! We are on the same page. Except I was expecting there would be others, not myself, who did not share this Reference Point.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This is not addressed to anyone here or really towards this thread in particular, but just a thought while on the subject. I wish people would not be so preachy/judgy about correct pronoun usage, etc. I'm talking mostly about snark-filled posts I've seen on Facebook/Twitter. It's fine to educate, but this is a new concept to a lot of people and we can't expect everyone to just magically know exactly how to address someone - particularly when people have various tolerance levels as to how they are addressed.

Case in point, there is a transgender man that is part of our roller coaster enthusiasts group, and I knew this person for years as a woman. So I saw this person as a woman one year, and the next year they had started sex change hormones and when we met back up she was a he. While we were all very accepting of this, it was difficult to remember that the person I'd known for years as my friend's little sister was now my friend's little brother. Fortunately he was very understanding and never got upset or corrected us when we inevitably slipped up in conversation.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:33 pm This is not addressed to anyone here or really towards this thread in particular, but just a thought while on the subject. I wish people would not be so preachy/judgy about correct pronoun usage, etc. I'm talking mostly about snark-filled posts I've seen on Facebook/Twitter. It's fine to educate, but this is a new concept to a lot of people and we can't expect everyone to just magically know exactly how to address someone - particularly when people have various tolerance levels as to how they are addressed.

Case in point, there is a transgender man that is part of our roller coaster enthusiasts group, and I knew this person for years as a woman. So I saw this person as a woman one year, and the next year they had started sex change hormones and when we met back up she was a he. While we were all very accepting of this, it was difficult to remember that the person I'd known for years as my friend's little sister was now my friend's little brother. Fortunately he was very understanding and never got upset or corrected us when we inevitably slipped up in conversation.
The trans folx I know are very understanding when someone slips up. Where it gets hostile is when (they feel) someone is intentionally dead gendering them. I can understand why it gets difficult to deal with all the time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:30 pm dead gendering
Quick! To the Googlemobile!

Most of the people I've seen get genuinely angry over the accidental misuse of a pronoun were not the people that pronoun applied to, but some other person trying to champion for them.

When we first got Payton (our new pigeon) after Barry (our old pigeon) died, we kept calling her Barry. It takes time to change word associations, or to get used to words that have always been plural being used for singular. It's a cultural linguistic change, and lots of people who are doing their best are going to slip up. Patience wins them over. Hostility turns them away.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gbasden wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:30 pm The trans folx I know are very understanding when someone slips up. Where it gets hostile is when (they feel) someone is intentionally dead gendering them. I can understand why it gets difficult to deal with all the time.
Same. As long as someone's not actively trying to be a dick (I.E. "I don't care what pronoun they want, I'm going to call that person 'he' no matter what!"), I think most trans folks are fairly forgiving.

We have a consultant that works for us who transitioned from F-->M, has requested that we use 'he", but still goes by his given name of Helen. It gets a bit tough to parse sometimes, but he's great with gentle reminders when people inevitably slip.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:00 amIt gets a bit tough to parse sometimes, but he's great with gentle reminders when people inevitably slip.
I feel like I'm an old dotard when it comes to trans conventions and I worry I'd insult people accidentally. It doesn't help that my only exposure to the culture and concepts is through the internet. The closest contact I have is "someone who knows someone" and I don't have a real world peg to hang that hat on. It'd probably help.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.