Seattle hates jobs

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Seattle hates jobs

Post by El Guapo »

Apparently Newark and New Jersey are putting together a tax break package of $7 billion to try to attract Amazon to Newark.

Geez, have some self-respect, cities.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm surprised Jersey just didn't make an offer they couldn't refuse...
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 pm Apparently Newark and New Jersey are putting together a tax break package of $7 billion to try to attract Amazon to Newark.

How about Tucson's 21' cactus?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NJ is notorious (at least on a local and county level) for giving big business tax breaks to entice them to set up shop. And then when the tax break deal expires, the companies or businesses relocate elsewhere and devastate the local economy. It's part of what makes our state so charming.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 pm Apparently Newark and New Jersey are putting together a tax break package of $7 billion to try to attract Amazon to Newark.

Ottawa has been making noise in this direction as well, but I haven't paid enough attention to know if it's still ongoing or just a fleeting "wouldn't it be nice if".
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm NJ is notorious (at least on a local and county level) for giving big business tax breaks to entice them to set up shop. And then when the tax break deal expires, the companies or businesses relocate elsewhere and devastate the local economy. It's part of what makes our state so charming.
It is also pointless. Why NJ when they can set up shop in Philly or right outside to avoid the city tax. Then they'd have access to the NE corridor, several large Universities, and dirt cheap real estate.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The less they have going for them in other areas, the bigger their bribe has to be.

Boston is playing its cards close to its vest, but our bribe is expected to be modest compared to other serious contenders. We already have labor shortages and a tight housing market, and our transportation is at capacity, so I really don't know how we'd absorb 50,000 more tech jobs. Winning is always fun, but I hope this goes the way of the Olympics-that-weren't. Amazon already has something like 2,000 employees here anyway. We don't need their HQ.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's already feeling like Amazon Company City here, so good riddance. municipalities are shamelessly slobbering all over Amazon to attract them there. and half of the City Council here (along with their backers) are being sickingly sychophantic now. i hope whomever gets them enjoys their housing property taxes and rental rates increasing to near Silicon Valley territory, and a "thousand people a week" moving there. a standard, everyday house a block from me just went on the market for $1.25 million.

(i was hoping Detroit would get it - they could actually do some good there)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm NJ is notorious (at least on a local and county level) for giving big business tax breaks to entice them to set up shop. And then when the tax break deal expires, the companies or businesses relocate elsewhere and devastate decimate the local economy. It's part of what makes our state so charming.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm NJ is notorious (at least on a local and county level) for giving big business tax breaks to entice them to set up shop. And then when the tax break deal expires, the companies or businesses relocate elsewhere and devastate decimate the local economy. It's part of what makes our state so charming.
So you don't think it's quite that bad? Devastation can be much worse than the mere 10% loss that a decimation would impart.

I used to work for a company that closed down small town plants where they were the only game in town -- and literally turned them into ghost towns. Post-closure assistance involved helping unemployed workers move to where the jobs were.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Moliere wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 pm
The new figures average out to $118,000 a space, though the project includes $3 million for improvements unrelated to parking, such as passenger drop-off areas, new bus shelters, walk and bike paths, and illumination.
Suck on that Seattle fanboys!
[/quote]

Pftt! Amateurs, NYC built four comodes for $2 million http://reason.com/archives/2017/07/26/n ... n-on-a-par Funny thing is I went looking for something I remembered about PA spending $100,000 on a park bathroom only to find this by another two orders of magnitude boondoggle instead. lol
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I'm a big fan of Virginia Postrel: Amazon Has a Chance to Redefine Corporate Responsibility
So Amazon has a choice. It can act as a responsible corporate citizen, viewing its headquarters search as a challenge to get cities thinking about how to create better environments for all sorts of enterprises. Or it can ignore ethics and go looking for handouts.

Local officials face the same decision. They can try to create the best possible environment for their citizens, including the potential Amazon headquarters. Or they can rob Peter to pay Jeff, siphoning money from taxpayers and throwing it at the retail giant.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Employees at some Tim Hortons reportedly see benefits cut over minimum wage hike
Employees who work at Tim Hortons locations in Canada owned by the co-founders’ children will reportedly see their benefits reduced along with paid breaks over the country’s $2.40 increase to minimum wage.

The Toronto Star reported Wednesday that employees at some of the Canadian-based coffee chain’s stores received a letter about the policy changes.

The letter from Jeri Horton-Joyce and Ron Joyce Jr. reportedly informed the employees that they will need to pay for a portion of their dental and health benefits.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I do not believe that for a second.

Somehow the subway 3 blocks down is making it work.

It's the "and much more" at the end that is particularly convincing.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Moliere wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm Jack in the Box CEO Says It "Makes Sense" to Consider Replacing Human Cashiers with Robots If Wages Rise

I feel sorry for teenagers trying to get a job.
Why? Who do you think will be coding the robots?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 pm
Moliere wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm Jack in the Box CEO Says It "Makes Sense" to Consider Replacing Human Cashiers with Robots If Wages Rise

Former coal workers.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Moliere wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Former coal workers.
Fake news - I have it on good authority that coal production is about to take off.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

They have the computer ordering kiosks at McDonald's in Florida. It's coming.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:27 pm They have the computer ordering kiosks at McDonald's in Florida.
...and it's particularly annoying. I think they purposely set it up so it's especially hard to find the dollar menu(which isn't even really a dollar menu anymore).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Let's say it costs $20,000 a year to install and maintain a Kiosk. You have have four of them running 24/7 for $80,000 a year plus the cost of a manager and slightly above minimum wage attendant 24/7. Say $15 and hour plus all of the insurances you need to pay them, probably another $200,000. So you have about $280,000 a year to run four lines 24/7. Which is probably cheaper than having two live cashiers running 24/7.

That why UScans have like 16 lines and there are only 2 cashiers left at most grocers.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Coding robots, of course.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I haven't had a drive through order be correct in about 2 years.

Fingers crossed robots can get it right. Being subjugated is a small price to pay for a correct takeout order.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The future will have self-driving cars and nanobots telling you what to eat. No effort required on your part!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 pm I haven't had a drive through order be correct in about 2 years.

Fingers crossed robots can get it right. Being subjugated is a small price to pay for a correct takeout order.
[/Pesci]
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If they could eat it for me too, that would be nice.

Edit: I don't understand the Pesci reference.

I'll probably look it up. Eventually.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lethal Weapon 2, I think. Leo Getz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWfaiTLPUKQ
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Since this is the de facto Amazon HQ thread: 20 finalists
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Austin, Texas
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • Columbus, Ohio
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Miami, Florida
  • Montgomery County, Maryland
  • Nashville, Tennessee
  • Newark, New Jersey
  • New York City, New York
  • Northern Virginia, Virginia
  • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Toronto, Ontario
  • Washington, DC.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm kind of surprised Miami was the only city from Florida to make the cut. I though for sure the Orlando/Tampa area would be desirable for Amazon.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

'as far away from here as possible' is my vote
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Newark Nj? Ya that's never going to happen. They have been trying to fix that city since forever and always fail.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:23 pm 'as far away from here as possible' is my vote
That's Boston's prevailing sentiment. We're a leading contender for assorted reasons, and the biggest strike against our bid is that it didn't include a hefty bribe (as most did). We'll accept their HQ if they want to move here anyway, but there are already 2,000 Amazon employees here, the economy's at full employment, housing is scarce, transportation is crowded. We don't need this or especially want it. Still, politicians and business leaders like to win, so Bostonians will tolerate it as long as government doesn't give away the candy store to get it.

It's my understanding that one of the three locations in the DC area will probably win. Bezos already owns a house and a lot of politicians there.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 pm It's my understanding that one of the three locations in the DC area will probably win. Bezos already owns a house and a lot of politicians there.
this is my guess as well.

(and going to 'the exact opposite side of the country' works for me)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Way to go Costco! Don't just put up with a 1.75 cent tax on every ounce of sweetened beverage that you sell.
http://deplorablesspeak.com/seattle-sugar-tax-1-a/
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

UK is going there too, but much more nanny state.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:09 pm UK is going there too, but much more nanny state.
They won't feel the pain, they don't use mixers. :wink:
Enlarge Image
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan Takes Cronyism to the Next Level With $5 Billion Bid for Amazon Headquarters
"Amazon sent a clear signal that Maryland truly is open for business by selecting Montgomery County as one of an elite group of contenders for this transformative project," Hogan said today as he unveiled the sycophantically named Promoting ext-Raordinary Innovation in Maryland's Economy (PRIME) Act.

The PRIME Act offers a lot of sweeteners. It includes 10 years of tax credits against any state and local property taxes, plus a 10-year exemption on any sales taxes owed by Amazon on purchases of construction equipment and warehouse equipment. Maryland would also give Amazon a 10-year tax credit to cover state income taxes paid by any employee Amazon hires within 17 years of setting up shop in the state, as long as that employee earns between $60,000 and $500,000.

And it's not just tax abatements. The proposal offers the online retailer $150 million in direct grants. Add the legislation's road, transit, and infrastructure upgrades, and the whole package comes to $5 billion—the same amount Amazon plans to spend on the new headquarters.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hah. Boston's initial bribe totaled $150 million, and people are chapped about offering them that much. Godspeed, Maryland!