Religion Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Religion Randomness

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote:During basic training, not turning out for church parade was not an option. The choices were Catholic or Protestant, where "Protestant" was defined as everything that wasn't Catholic. Hindu? Sikh? Jewish? Atheist? Fall in with the Protestants!
When I was in Basic, there were services (well one, non-denominational actually) offered on Sundays and they were 100% optional with nobody openly judging you either way. Sometimes the guys that stayed back got to use the phones for calls home. Sometimes they had to do extra work. Often it was just free time. It was pretty balanced.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:Amish buggy racing

:coffee:
I'm pretty sure that's U.S. Route 30 in Lancaster County, PA.

The buggies are usually much, much slower.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ken Ham meets Pokemon Go
The explanation the museum’s staff offered Ham was featured on his Facebook page via a Live broadcast. In it, Ham advised that one of his staff members “nearly got thrown out” when they used the word “evolve” in their description of the game and its contents. “What did you tell me about Pokémon and evolve?” he asked.

The staff member advised that Pokémon do, in fact, evolve, citing that “apparently, you give them candy and they become stronger.” Ham retorted that such an act was “no good for the Creation Museum.”

When the staff member asked if Ham would like to evolve one of the Pokémon, offering the Creationist his phone, game at the ready, he advised he didn’t believe in evolution right before asking how to proceed.

Ham pressed the appropriate buttons with the staff member’s guidance, and the Pokémon (described as a “bird”) simply became a “bigger, better bird.” This was not the act of evolving, according to Ham, as it “[was still] a bird! … That’s not evolution!”

“It should have evolved into something else,” he continued. “It just grew up into a big bird. It definitely shows that birds remain birds. Okay, we’ve figured that out.”
Ham later called the game dangerous, but advised that he “found out one thing… it teaches birds stay birds. I found that out. So that’s good.”
Video at the link.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

:cry:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Arkansas is not content to learn from Oklahoma's mistake:
A granite monument of the Ten Commandments planned near Arkansas' Capitol will weigh 6,000 pounds and stand more than 6 feet tall, the group lined up to install the display said in an application filed Monday.

The American History and Heritage Foundation detailed its plans for the privately-funded monument in papers submitted to the secretary of state's office. The majority-Republican Legislature and GOP Gov. Asa Hutchinson approved a law last year that requires the state to allow the monument to be built on Capitol grounds.
The law requires Secretary of State Mark Martin to consult the Capitol Arts and Grounds Commission before approving the design and site for the monument. The law has prompted other groups to demand the state allow competing monuments, including a satanic statue.
Story and state Sen. Jason Rapert, who sponsored the law requiring the state to allow the monument, said its design was modeled after a Ten Commandments display at the Texas state Capitol. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the Texas display in 2005 while striking down Ten Commandments displays in two Kentucky courthouses. The court said the key to whether a display is constitutional hinges on whether there is a religious purpose behind it.

Oklahoma voters in November are set to decide whether to abolish an article of the state constitution so that a Ten Commandments monument can be returned to the Capitol grounds. The state Supreme Court ordered the display removed last year.
Rita Sklar, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas, said the state would be using government property to endorse a religion if it moves forward with the display.
Of course, neither is Oklahoma.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And for context, here are the monuments on the Texas capitol grounds.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Atheos
Can you support your positions about God, religion or the supernatural?

Atheos is an app being developed by Dr. Peter Boghossian and his team that helps people have non-confrontational discussions about gods, religion, faith, and superstition. It will show you how to gently explore a person's strongest beliefs.

Atheos will provide you with the skills you’ll need to spot flaws in weak statements and use reason to politely help people understand why they may not be correct.

It's the perfect app for atheists, agnostics, humanists, skeptics, freethinkers, and even believers who want to find out how best to engage in religious discussions.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holy crap, the last thing I want to do is engage peoples' religious beliefs.

That sounds like a fun way to spend your time.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Every time I see a video of Trump speaking, spouting his crap, I want to punch him in the nose.

Now I suppose I'll have the Secret Service on my ass.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've always felt that way about him, going back to his early appearances on Howard Stern, then his reality shows. I have always disliked that bag of crap.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The mayor of Cannes has decided that wearing too many clothes on the beach is "not respectful of good morals." :roll:
The mayor of Cannes in southern France has banned full-body swimsuits known as "burkinis" from the beach, citing public order concerns. David Lisnard said they are a "symbol of Islamic extremism" and might spark scuffles, as France is the target of Islamist attacks. France is on high alert following a series of incidents including July's truck attack in nearby Nice. Anyone caught flouting the new rule could face a fine of €38 (£33). They will first be asked to change into another swimming costume or leave the beach. Nobody has been apprehended for w
"Access to beaches and for swimming is banned to any person wearing improper clothes that are not respectful of good morals and secularism. Beachwear which ostentatiously displays religious affiliation, when France and places of worship are currently the target of terrorist attacks, is liable to create risks of disrupting public order." Mr Lisnard confirmed to local media that other religious symbols such as the kippah (Jewish skullcap) and the cross would still be permitted, and the ban would not apply to the veil that some Muslim women wear over their hair.
That's some top-notch knee jerking right there.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife showed me an article a few years ago about a girl who was expelled from some Catholic school for wearing a swimsuit on a beach during a family vacation when school was not in session -- and posting the picture on FB. These sorts of puritanical pukes are everywhere.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Private schools get to ignore things like privacy and societal acceptance when they're upfront about it. I'm all for them isolating themselves from the rest of society and continuing to demonstrate why they aren't mainstream.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote:My wife showed me an article a few years ago about a girl who was expelled from some Catholic school for wearing a swimsuit on a beach during a family vacation when school was not in session -- and posting the picture on FB. These sorts of puritanical pukes are everywhere.
I'm guessing that such discipline for such things is closer to "very rare" than "everywhere."

But the original point was that the French mayor was outlawing modesty rather than flauntery.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The French are on the opposite end of religious tolerance, slipping into blanket oppression that primarily impacts the 'other'.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote:
Jeff V wrote:My wife showed me an article a few years ago about a girl who was expelled from some Catholic school for wearing a swimsuit on a beach during a family vacation when school was not in session -- and posting the picture on FB. These sorts of puritanical pukes are everywhere.
I'm guessing that such discipline for such things is closer to "very rare" than "everywhere."

But the original point was that the French mayor was outlawing modesty rather than flauntery.
A 10 year old wearing a swimsuit is hardly "flauntery." By "everywhere" I didn't necessarily mean "common," only that such examples can be found all over the world if you look for them.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dead State
Tony Perkins, president of the anti-gay religious lobbying group the Family Research Council, had his home destroyed by the massive flooding ravaging Southern Louisiana this week.
Calling into his own radio show, Perkins described the flood as being of “biblical proportions,” adding that he and his family will have to live in a camper for 6 months until the damage is repaired.

But Perkins was careful to point out that this particular flood wasn’t because of the gays, but rather an “incredible, encouraging spiritual exercise to take you to the next level in your walk with an almighty and gracious God who does all things well.”
Holman

Post by Holman »

But Perkins was careful to point out that this particular flood wasn’t because of the gays, but rather an “incredible, encouraging spiritual exercise to take you to the next level in your walk with an almighty and gracious God who does all things well.”
Floods, especially. God does targeted, unambiguous, message-delivering floods like a fucking artiste.
Rip

Post by Rip »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pened.html
Under-fire EU chief Jean-Claude Juncker risked widening divisions with European leaders today by saying borders were the 'worst invention ever'.
You know who else didn't like national borders?

Everyone needs a little Lebensraum.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rip wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pened.html
Under-fire EU chief Jean-Claude Juncker risked widening divisions with European leaders today by saying borders were the 'worst invention ever'.
Doctors?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Jaymann wrote:
Rip wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pened.html
Doctors?
Jesus?

Just trying to bring it back on-topic.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I will give you a hint.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now if someone asked to follow that reincarnated individual, I'd be more inclined to listen.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rip wrote:I will give you a hint.

Snopes say False.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Says who?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote:
Rip wrote:I will give you a hint.

[...]
Snopes say False.
I'm grateful to that link for giving me the phrase "Reductio ad Hitlerum," although I like "ad Nazium" even better.

In any case, the guy on the left is clearly the better candidate because he had bigger rallies.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The bigger danger is Hillary being associated with Spock. Damn filthy alien. We're gonna need a planetary shield for that shit.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:OK State Capitol Ten Commandments vandalized:
State Supreme Court tells them to get rid of it.
Following a court order requires a vote, apparently.
Ballot measure approved
Back in March, the Oklahoma State Senate approved a ballot measure that would remove Article 2, Section 5 from the constitution. The State House later passed the same measure on a 65-7 vote.

Gov. Mary Fallin completed the process last night by signing a proclamation putting the following question on November’s ballot:
This measure repeals Section 5 of Article 2 of the Oklahoma Constitution. This section prohibits the use of public monies or property for sectarian or religious purposes.

SHALL THE PROPOSAL BE APPROVED?
In addition, groups like the Satanic Temple would almost immediately file applications to place their own monuments in the same general location. It’s what they did in Oklahoma before, and it’s what they’re doing in Arkansas right now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's a great picture of Hillary.

Also, I never expected to be saying this, but thank god for Satanic temple.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote:thank god for Satanic temple.
Yes, I love how they insist on doing prayers at city counsel meetings. :twisted:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Female UK backpacker killed by French backpacker at Australian hostel. French backpacker was heard to exclaim Allahu Akbar as he was led away. Another backpacker was stabbed in the face 15 times trying to rescue the woman.

article

Wasn't sure where to post this.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote:Female UK backpacker killed by French backpacker at Australian hostel. French backpacker was heard to exclaim Allahu Akbar as he was led away. Another backpacker was stabbed in the face 15 times trying to rescue the woman.

article

Wasn't sure where to post this.
Too many countries being listed. I got lost in the description. :think:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Welcome to hostelling. Or at least that's what I've heard.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote:Welcome to hostelling. Or at least that's what I've heard.
The only time I've slept in a hostel was in Berlin. I bought every bed in the room (6 or 8 I think) so I would be alone. :wink:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Worshipping the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not a real religion, US court rules
A Nebraska inmate who has professed his allegiance to the divine Flying Spaghetti Monster lost his bid demanding that prison officials accommodate his Pastafarianism faith.

A federal judge dismissed the suit Tuesday brought by Stephen Cavanaugh, who is serving a 4- to 8-year term on assault and weapons charges at the Nebraska State Penitentiary. US District Judge John Gerrard ruled that "FSMism" isn't a religion like the ones protected under the Constitution.

"The Court finds that FSMism is not a 'religion' within the meaning of the relevant federal statutes and constitutional jurisprudence. It is, rather, a parody, intended to advance an argument about science, the evolution of life, and the place of religion in public education. Those are important issues, and FSMism contains a serious argument—but that does not mean that the trappings of the satire used to make that argument are entitled to protection as a 'religion,'" the judge ruled.
In his lawsuit, the inmate sought $5 million and claimed he has "several tattoos proclaiming his faith" and demanded that prison officials afford his "faith" the "ability to order and wear religious clothing and pendants, the right to meet for weekly worship services and classes and the right to receive communion." Corrections officials determined FSMism was a parody religion and rejected his requests. (The religious clothing at issue is "a pirate costume," the judge notes.)

According to the ruling:
This is not a question of theology: it is a matter of basic reading comprehension. The FSM Gospel is plainly a work of satire, meant to entertain while making a pointed political statement. To read it as religious doctrine would be little different from grounding a "religious exercise" on any other work of fiction. A prisoner could just as easily read the works of Vonnegut or Heinlein and claim it as his holy book, and demand accommodation of Bokononism or the Church of All Worlds. 6 See, Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle (Dell Publishing 1988) (1963); Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land (Putnam Publ'g Grp. 1961). Of course, there are those who contend—and Cavanaugh is probably among them—that the Bible or the Koran are just as fictional as those books. It is not always an easy line to draw. But there must be a line beyond which a practice is not "religious" simply because a plaintiff labels it as such. The Court concludes that FSMism is on the far side of that line.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moliere wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:thank god for Satanic temple.
Yes, I love how they insist on doing prayers at city counsel meetings. :twisted:
I am surprised the attorneys allow that.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter