Religion Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Religion Randomness

Post by Max Peck »

Lord's Prayer: Pope Francis calls for change
Pope Francis has called for a translation of a phrase about temptation in the Lord's Prayer to be changed.

The current wording that says "lead us not into temptation" is not a good translation because God does not lead humans to sin, he says.

His suggestion is to use "do not let us fall into temptation" instead, he told Italian TV on Wednesday night.

The Lord's Prayer is the best-known prayer in Christianity.

The pontiff said France's Roman Catholic Church was now using the new wording "do not let us fall into temptation" as an alternative, and something similar should be used worldwide.

"Do not let me fall into temptation because it is I who fall, it is not God who throws me into temptation and then sees how I fell," he told TV2000, an Italian Catholic TV channel.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Slow down Frank! Next thing you know you will be saying that those crackers are just crackers and not the flesh of Jesus.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Legitimate point. When I was a kid I suspected that leading me into temptation was a dick move on God's part. That's supposed to be Satan's job.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is it weird that warship and worship are the same word?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm Is it weird that warship and worship are the same word?
Yes. It means you are pronouncing one of them wrong. :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm Is it weird that warship and worship are the same word?
Wait. What?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Warship. Wurship.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:41 pm
Remus West wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 pm
Wait. What?
war·ship
ˈwôrˌSHip/

wor·ship
/wərSHəp/
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:43 pm
war·ship
ˈwôrˌSHip/

wor·ship
/wərSHəp/
You would think that would help me hear the difference, but nope.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:43 pm
war·ship
ˈwôrˌSHip/

wor·ship
/wərSHəp/
You would think that would help me hear the difference, but nope.
I thought that might be a stretch, but gave it a shot. Use google for "Define warship" and in the definition is a little speaker that you can click on to hear the word. Same with worship.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:43 pm Warship. Wurship.
Wore ship. Were ship.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

W ore ship Were ship
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dialects are a thing. Everyone around here goes to Sunday warship, then comes home and warshes the deeshes.

There may be a pronunciation that is 'standard', but that doesn't make it the only correct one. Hell, I probably only hear it because I moved around so much growing up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Old Order Amish family must connect to public sewer, use electricity, Pa. court says. Yeah, let's drag those Amish into the 21st century.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:09 pm Dialects are a thing. Everyone around here goes to Sunday warship, then comes home and warshes the deeshes.
New England Hispanics?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
A state district judge in Comal County said God told him to intervene in jury deliberations to sway jurors to return a not guilty verdict in the trial of a Buda woman accused of trafficking a teen girl for sex.

Judge Jack Robison apologized to jurors for the interruption, but defended his actions by telling them “when God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it,” according to the Herald-Zeitung in New Braunfels.

The jury went against the judge’s wishes, finding Gloria Romero-Perez guilty of continuous trafficking of a person and later sentenced her to 25 years in prison. They found her not guilty of a separate charge of sale or purchase of a child.
The Herald-Zeitung reported that Robison recused himself before the trial’s sentencing phase and was replaced by Judge Gary Steele. The defendant’s attorney asked for a mistrial, but was denied.

Robison’s actions could trigger an investigation from the State Commission on Judicial Conduct, which has disciplined Robison in the past.

In 2011, the commission slapped Robison with a private reprimand for improperly jailing a Caldwell County grandfather who had called him a fool for a ruling Robison made in a child custody case involving the man’s granddaughter.

The reprimand, the commission’s harshest form of rebuke, said Robison “exceeded the scope of his authority and failed to comply with the law” by jailing the man for contempt of court without a hearing or advance notice of the charge.

The act of intervening in a jury’s deliberations is not addressed in the state’s list of judicial canons, which serves as an ethical code for judges. However, it states judges shall “comply with the law and should act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Crap..wrong thread. Sorry
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For a guy that's hinting at retirement, what happens to his campaign fund?

Also, aren't corps under the same limits that individuals are?

Also also, selling your soul for half a million dollars seems incredibly cheap. It's a shame the Dems couldn't just dip into their funds and offer him a million or something.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 am For a guy that's hinting at retirement, what happens to his campaign fund?
The final line in the article says that the contributions would be "redirected" in that eventuality. Also, IIRC, any money that ends up in a PAC would be Ryan's to keep.
GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 am Also also, selling your soul for half a million dollars seems incredibly cheap. It's a shame the Dems couldn't just dip into their funds and offer him a million or something.
That is only one of many contributions that he received in 2017 alone. The one percent is taking good care of Speaker Ryan.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:47 am
That is only one of many contributions that he received in 2017 alone. The one percent is taking good care of Speaker Ryan.
Yeah, but why accept table scraps from the Koches when he could be asking for real money?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 am Crap..wrong thread. Sorry
Heh, I was wondering . . .
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The wife expressed an interest in seeing the Shen Yun performance of "5,000 years of Civilization". I dutifully bought tickets. We went last night, and were treated to something with the production values of a community theater*, heavily leavened with religious indoctrination of Falun Gong and their persecution under Chinese rule.

The dancing and choreography were well done, but the some of the costumes looked like they'd been purchased at a mall costume store. The computerized backdrops look like they were generated on a machine that shipped with Windows 2000. You could almost taste the pixels. And the propaganda was recurrent and transparent. At one point, one of the the dancers is holding a banner that reads "Falun Dafa is Good." It's almost as if they were trying to tell me something...

The prices I paid for the tickets were ludicrously high for something that looks like there was more time spent on the messaging than the actual infrastructure.

*No offense to those that run community theater and put on the best shows that they possibly can. Given that this organization supposedly has five troupes touring the globe, one would think that they could spend a bit more on costumes that don't appear to be made out of orange Naugahyde.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Seems legit.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I find myself drawn towards Penetrating the Two Cosmic Extremes.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 pm I find myself drawn towards Penetrating the Two Cosmic Extremes.
It really pays off if you do it with jazz hands.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm Image
YooCA?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's the Chinese version.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've been trying to convince one of my coworkers that does yoga that "Dog barks at pudding" is an actual position.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:52 pm I've been trying to convince one of my coworkers that does yoga that "Dog barks at pudding" is an actual position.
:clap:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 pm The wife expressed an interest in seeing the Shen Yun performance of "5,000 years of Civilization". I dutifully bought tickets. We went last night, and were treated to something with the production values of a community theater*, heavily leavened with religious indoctrination of Falun Gong and their persecution under Chinese rule.

The dancing and choreography were well done, but the some of the costumes looked like they'd been purchased at a mall costume store. The computerized backdrops look like they were generated on a machine that shipped with Windows 2000. You could almost taste the pixels. And the propaganda was recurrent and transparent. At one point, one of the the dancers is holding a banner that reads "Falun Dafa is Good." It's almost as if they were trying to tell me something...

The prices I paid for the tickets were ludicrously high for something that looks like there was more time spent on the messaging than the actual infrastructure.

*No offense to those that run community theater and put on the best shows that they possibly can. Given that this organization supposedly has five troupes touring the globe, one would think that they could spend a bit more on costumes that don't appear to be made out of orange Naugahyde.
My mom gave us tickets to that show for Christmas, and we’ll be seeing it in March. I wasn’t really looking forward to it to begin with, and now I’m even less interested. $120 already seemed a bit insane.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 pm The wife expressed an interest in seeing the Shen Yun performance of "5,000 years of Civilization". I dutifully bought tickets. We went last night, and were treated to something with the production values of a community theater*, heavily leavened with religious indoctrination of Falun Gong and their persecution under Chinese rule.

My mom gave us tickets to that show for Christmas, and we’ll be seeing it in March. I wasn’t really looking forward to it to begin with, and now I’m even less interested. $120 already seemed a bit insane.
At least you can write it off as a religious donation.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Raw Story
A local newspaper in Texas removed references to a gay couple in their mother’s obituary, citing ”religious and ethical reasons,” Fox News 4 reports.

Barry Giles and John Gambill, who have been married for 31 years, say the Olto[n], Texas paper scrubbed references to Gambill after Giles’ mom died. The couple had included both their names in the obituary they sent to Giles’ hometown paper, writing “those left to cherish her memory include her son, Barry Giles and his husband, John Gambill of Dallas.”
Gambill said he confronted Phillip Hamilton, the newspaper publisher, asking why his name was excluded from his mother-in-laws obituary. Hamilton replied, ‘Because I wanted to.’”
In a statement, Hamilton defended his decision to leave out Gambill’s name and relationship to Giles.

“It is my religious conviction that a male cannot have a husband,” Hamilton said. “It is also my belief that to publish anything contrary to God’s Word on this issue would be to publish something in the newspaper that is not true.”

“The newspaper respects the First Amendment rights of those who express such opinions,” Hamilton said. “The newspaper’s decision to edit the obituary is both ethical and lawful. It would be unethical to publish a news item that is known by the editor to be false. Based on the truth found in the Word of God, I could not in good conscience identify Mr. Gamabill [sic] as the husband of Mr. Giles.”
Given that obituaries are generally paid placements, I'm pretty sure the publisher doesn't have a leg to stand on, as it's not a "news item".
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He could choose not to publish the obit at all, probably. It would be hard for him to accept money and then not fulfill the contractual obligation associated with it though, as you said.

Also, what a giant c**k of a publisher. Other people's grief is not a playground for you to exert your personal belief system.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tennessee
A bill requiring Tennessee schools to prominently display the national "In God We Trust" motto is headed to the governor for his signature.

The legislation, sponsored by Rep. Susan Lynn, R-Mt. Juliet, overwhelmingly passed the state House on Monday with 81 of the 99 members voting in favor of it. Before the vote, the Republican lawmaker spoke from the House floor about the prominence of the phrase.
The bill requires schools display the motto in a prominent location where students are likely to see it, like a school entryway, cafeteria or common area. It offers more freedom on what form it takes, suggesting that it could be a mounted plaque or student artwork.
Laws requiring the display of "In God We Trust" in schools are already on the books in other states.

The Tennessee legislation appears to be a part of a wave of similar "In God We Trust" bills under consideration this year by state lawmakers across the country. Like-minded legislation has popped up in Arkansas, Florida, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Wyoming, according to news reports.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just more stupid shit from my state Gov. Im sure this will go over great with the Feds, atheists, and the ACLU.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

In the bathrooms. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The Florida Legislature tried to do the same thing. It was actually pushed through the FL House by Democrats.

I don't think it made it out of the FL Senate though. The last news articles I see are from when it was approved in the House.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You just know the church of satan or whatever it is they call themselves will push to have something like that with satan in it hung in schools too. Its the entire reason for their being.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unfortunately, for "In God we trust," it's gotten plenty of court decision coverage that it's not specific enough to violate the establishment cause. Which, on it's face, might be arguable. But in practice, it's anything but.