Religion Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Religion Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote:
Moliere wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:thank god for Satanic temple.
Yes, I love how they insist on doing prayers at city counsel meetings. :twisted:
I am surprised the attorneys allow that.
What, cutting in on their turf like that?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I sold some dove kites to a band director at a TN public school who's going to use them in a halftime show about Noah's ark. At least I assume it's a public school because he has a "k12.tn.us" email address.

Is that even legal?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, but it would take someone getting active about it to change it.

A few years ago my youngest came home and told me during school they had gone to an assembly called 'church' where they learned about the true meaning of Christmas, "You know, Jesus and stuff." I kinda anonymously :ninja: made that go away, starting with polite emails, although it eventually took the intervention of some lawyers from Americans United for Separation of Church and State before the principle took me seriously.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Kraken wrote:I sold some dove kites to a band director at a TN public school who's going to use them in a halftime show about Noah's ark. At least I assume it's a public school because he has a "k12.tn.us" email address.

Is that even legal?
.us domain names aren't government related. You can get one for CurioCity if you wanted. If it ended in .tn.gov then the legality might be an issue.

I never realized that Noah and family were out there flying kites. I love learning new things!
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's how he discovered electricity, duh!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

He told me that a lad is going to run across the field bearing the dove to "the ark." This is a big production number. He only needs one kite, but he bought four just to make sure. Spending $176 where $44 would have sufficed made me wonder if it's a private school.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Patheos
Give some credit to the Christian Post: Reporter Leonardo Blair tried to verify this story. But you can guess how that went…
The Christian Post reached out to Joshua Media Ministries International on Monday and requested an interview with the woman and her family. A representative said they were unable to divulge personal information about the family but explained that they would pass along this reporter’s contact information and would reach out if the family wished to talk.
There’s plenty of reason to doubt this story, but one of the less obvious reasons is that Taylor has already been suspected of deception before. He was the subject of a financial corruption case last year, and his videotaped deposition made everyone’s jaw drop. He couldn’t answer basic questions about someone he claimed as a dependent on his tax returns, claimed that his mansion was really a training center for other pastors, and said he shopped at high-end clothing stores because “Macy’s don’t have the kind of suits that I wear.”
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image

Patheos
Give some credit to the Christian Post: Reporter Leonardo Blair tried to verify this story. But you can guess how that went…
The Christian Post reached out to Joshua Media Ministries International on Monday and requested an interview with the woman and her family. A representative said they were unable to divulge personal information about the family but explained that they would pass along this reporter’s contact information and would reach out if the family wished to talk.
There’s plenty of reason to doubt this story, but one of the less obvious reasons is that Taylor has already been suspected of deception before. He was the subject of a financial corruption case last year, and his videotaped deposition made everyone’s jaw drop. He couldn’t answer basic questions about someone he claimed as a dependent on his tax returns, claimed that his mansion was really a training center for other pastors, and said he shopped at high-end clothing stores because “Macy’s don’t have the kind of suits that I wear.”

Maybe if they call the toll-free number and pray for an interview?

:D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Leaving the church, 21st century style:
As Agence France-Presse reports, the Church's recent attempt to help people keep track of their religious status online has resulted in a "one-click exodus," as thousands of former Lutherans click "unsubscribe" on their faith.

Until 2012, Lutheranism was Norway's official religion, and the state has been bugging the church to clean up their messy records for years. To enable this, the church set up a website last Monday to help people check their enrollment status or to sign up.

But they also provided the option to unenroll—which proved far and away the most popular feature. According to the church's website, the first day the page was up, 10,854 people clicked the let-me-out button. By Friday, that number had climbed to 15,035. (About 550 people opted in instead, leaving the Church with a net loss of around 14,500 people.)

Poll data shows that fewer and fewer Norwegians consider themselves Christian, and the church wasn't surprised by the mass exit. As spokesperson Kristin Gunleiksrud said in a statement, "No one should be a member against his will."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Obama nominates first Muslim judge.

Indignant fury in 3...2...
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Aw man, I was going to go for furious indignation. I missed your requirement by that much.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're not Rip. What are you doing here?
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm waiting for his first judgment. Boom! Sharia law accusation!

I'm slightly shocked there hasn't been a Muslim judge previously.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote:Obama nominates first Muslim judge.

Indignant fury in 3...2...
Old news. I'm pretty sure Alex Jones already determined that Sotomayor and Kagan are secret Qadis.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

What it's like to be a woman at the hajj.
I was at once frustrated by Islam’s nitpicky strictures on women’s dress and embraced by its warm sisterhood. Over and over again during this physical and personal journey, I was confronted by my conflicting feelings on how the faith I was raised in deals with gender, the very thing that had made me take off my hijab in college.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Mark your calendars, Oklahomans. Tomorrow is Oilfield Prayer Day!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.corespirit.com/ancient-confe ... us-christ/

I'm not smart enough to know the New Testament and how is jibes with Roman conquest but it's interesting to speculate in an ignorant masses Fox News sort of way.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Having played all those games of werewolf, this stands out.
How could this go unnoticed in the most scrutinised books of all time? “Many of the parallels are conceptual or poetic, so they aren’t all immediately obvious. After all, the authors did not want the average believer to see what they were doing, but they did want the alert reader to see it. An educated Roman in the ruling class would probably have recognised the literary game being played.” Atwill maintains he can demonstrate that “the Roman Caesars left us a kind of puzzle literature that was meant to be solved by future generations, and the solution to that puzzle is ‘We invented Jesus Christ, and we’re proud of it.'”
Thinking you are smart enough to have figured out a centuries old conspiracy by making literary connections has rarely ended well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Biyobi wrote:
Kraken wrote:I sold some dove kites to a band director at a TN public school who's going to use them in a halftime show about Noah's ark. At least I assume it's a public school because he has a "k12.tn.us" email address.

Is that even legal?
.us domain names aren't government related. You can get one for CurioCity if you wanted. If it ended in .tn.gov then the legality might be an issue.

I never realized that Noah and family were out there flying kites. I love learning new things!
School emails all end with k12.state abbreviation.us not with .gov
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote:http://www.corespirit.com/ancient-confe ... us-christ/

I'm not smart enough to know the New Testament and how is jibes with Roman conquest but it's interesting to speculate in an ignorant masses Fox News sort of way.
Ooh, look! The same guy wrote a sequel that also somehow rips the lid off Shakespeare!

There aren't enough eyes to roll.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

San Diego
A newsletter from a San Diego Catholic church has warned parishioners they’ll go to hell if they vote for Democrats.

The San Diego Union-Tribune says a flier inserted in the Oct. 16 bulletin of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church called voting Democratic a mortal sin. It cited five policies - including support for abortion and same-sex marriage - that will doom supporters to eternal damnation.

On Oct. 30, the bulletin itself took a Hillary Clinton quote out of context to claim she’s influenced by Satan. It also criticized immigration policies and gun control.

The church doubles as an election polling site.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego said Wednesday that the messages don’t reflect Catholic teaching and are inappropriate. The diocese says people should vote their consciences.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I seem to remember bigots hating Kennedy because he was Catholic. Dude's smoking something.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New Mexico
In 2007, Bloomfield (New Mexico) City Council member Kevin Mauzy proposed that citizens should be allowed to put a Ten Commandments monument in front of the city’s municipal building. The council accepted his proposal, even though nothing happened at the time. That proposal became a reality in 2011, after Mauzy was no longer on the council. The five-foot-tall granite monument was privately paid for and erected by July 4 of that year.

But a lawsuit filed by the ACLU on behalf of two local Wiccans put a stop to that. District Court Judge James A. Parker ruled in 2014 that the monument violated the Establishment Clause.
Mauzy turned out to be his own worst enemy. Judge Parker even made this point:
While Mr. Mauzy testified that he erected the Ten Commandments monument for “historical” instead of “religious” purposes, Mr. Mauzy’s religious statements have thoroughly eclipsed his putative “historical” message.
Parker included a footnote shortly after that, which pointed out another misstep by Mauzy:
At trial Mr. Mauzy testified that he views this lawsuit as an attack on his religious freedom, thereby reaffirming the impression that the Ten Commandments monument was meant to communicate a religious message.
The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals agreed that this was nothing but a religious monument, affirming that it violated the Constitution.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stessier

Post by stessier »

From the article -
Traditionally, abortion was considered such a grave sin that only a bishop could absolve a repentant woman, or a priest given special permission by a bishop.
That's not quite right. If you provide or have an abortion, you are automatically excommunicated from the Church. It's the excommunication the bishop is lifting (which is more of a technical/legal instrument) before sending the person to a confession.

As a practical matter, this doesn't change anything in the US and Canada as our bishops had already delegated this power to the local priests. It's a bigger issue in other parts of the world.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Natalie Portman to put up first Christmas tree
“So excited! Like my whole life no Christmas tree, and then all of a sudden they have this great excuse, because it’s every Jew’s kind of secret wish to have a Christmas tree,” Portman explained.
Speak for yourself, Portman. I, for one, would rather not have the rotting corpse of a tree in my home.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Defiant wrote:I, for one, would rather not have the rotting corpse of a tree in my home.
It always struck me as a little weird to cut a tree down and stick it in the middle of your living room. I prefer shrubs.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:
Defiant wrote:I, for one, would rather not have the rotting corpse of a tree in my home.
It always struck me as a little weird to cut a tree down and stick it in the middle of your living room. I prefer shrubs.
Ever do it with flowers?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

But that's how you celebrate life, dammit!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

GreenGoo wrote:
But few government leaders suggest that everyone should just believe them on faith and threaten punishment from a higher power for all of eternity if they don't.

I've already stated that religion is not inherently bad. I would say that it is almost uniquely positioned to be used to bad ends, however.
Really?

I don't recall Stalin being all that religous. Religions is just a subset of culture.For instance, I highly doubt organized crime is doing it for a higher power.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote:
Well, to be fair, before it was a "Living Room" it was actually the Parlour - where you'd put your dead relatives on display. A tree is a refreshing change of pace. Uncle Bernie looks horrible when he's propped up and wrapped with garland.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'm Jewish, but in the USSR, it was "New Year's tree" - we didn't know anything about Christmas, the tree would go up on December 31st :whistle: In Russia, they still do it the same way (since Russian Orthodox Christmas isn't until Jan. 7 and doesn't involve decorating a tree anyway).
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

gilraen wrote:I'm Jewish, but in the USSR, it was "New Year's tree" - we didn't know anything about Christmas, the tree would go up on December 31st :whistle: In Russia, they still do it the same way (since Russian Orthodox Christmas isn't until Jan. 7 and doesn't involve decorating a tree anyway).
Yakov Smirnoff wrote:In Russia you put the living room in the tree.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Baylor
ith people of all faiths currently living through a crisis of religious freedom unparalleled in world history, the United States Congress has taken action and passed H.R.1150-Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act.

On Dec. 13, the House of Representatives voted unanimously to pass an amendment to the landmark international religious freedom law. The legislation, which was approved by the Senate on Dec. 10, was sent Dec. 15 to President Obama to be signed into law.

According to the text, the act “will improve the ability of the United States to advance religious freedom globally through enhanced diplomacy, training, counterterrorism, and foreign assistance efforts, and through stronger and more flexible political responses to religious freedom violations and violent extremism worldwide.”
The Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act amends the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 (IRFA). Among other things, the bill requires an annual report on international religious freedom which will include information about: 1) severe violations of religious freedom; 2) identification of prisoners in a country; 3) action taken by a government to censor religious content, communications, or worship activities online; 4) persecution of human rights advocates seeking to defend the rights of members of religious groups or highlight religious freedom violations; and 5) country-specific analysis of the impact of U.S. actions on religious freedom.
Jewish Telegraphic Agency, May 18th.
The bill, passed Monday, would broaden the definition of “violations of religious freedom” in the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 to include the persecution of advocates of male circumcision or ritual animal slaughter. Atheists would become a new protected class.
The bill integrates the 1998 law’s protections into U.S. national security priorities, mandating that the ambassador at large for religious freedom – currently Rabbi David Saperstein, a veteran Reform movement leader — report directly to the secretary of state. It also adds new requirements for presidential reporting to Congress on religious freedom violations and training for diplomats in identifying violations of religious freedoms.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Why didn't we ever talk about this kind of stuff in CCD?
The reputed miracle is locally known and accepted, though has not been the subject of official Church recognition. The liquefaction is believed to happen at least three times a year: the Saturday before the first Sunday of May, Sept. 19, which is the saint's feast day, and Dec. 16, the anniversary of the 1631 eruption of the Mount Vesuvius volcano.

During the miracle, the dried, red-colored mass confined to one side of the reliquary becomes blood that covers the entire glass. In local lore, the failure of the blood to liquefy signals war, famine, disease or other disaster.

The blood did indeed liquefy on Sept. 19, 2016.

Prayer was the response to a rare failure of a saint’s blood to liquefy in Naples, an occurrence some believe to portend misfortune.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Zuckerberg abandons atheism:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... 3cb9abd467
The founder of Facebook has found religion, it seems, according to a cheery holiday message he posted on the social network he created.

On Christmas Day, Zuckerberg indicated in a Facebook status that he was “celebrating Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah from Priscilla, Max, Beast and me,” he wrote, naming his wife, daughter and dog. Then a commenter asked him: Aren’t you an atheist?

Zuckerberg identified himself as an atheist for years, but on Facebook on Christmas he wrote back: “No. I was raised Jewish and then I went through a period where I questioned things, but now I believe religion is very important.”
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur, Aug 09, 2016 wrote:Arkansas is not content to learn from Oklahoma's mistake:
A granite monument of the Ten Commandments planned near Arkansas' Capitol will weigh 6,000 pounds and stand more than 6 feet tall, the group lined up to install the display said in an application filed Monday.
Of course, neither is Oklahoma.
ABC
A proposal to erect a satanic monument on the Arkansas state Capitol grounds has advanced to a public hearing.

A subcommittee of the state Capitol Arts and Grounds Commission on Wednesday cleared the proposal by the Satanic Temple to build a Baphomet statue. A date has not been set for the public hearing, but a spokeswoman said it'll likely be held after this year's legislative session.

The proposal was made in response to a privately funded Ten Commandments monument lawmakers approved last year. A public hearing was held last month on that proposal, but a date has not been set for the commission to vote on the Ten Commandments display.

The Baphomet proposal would still need to be authorized by the Legislature even if it's approved by the commission.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

PA
The Freedom From Religion Foundation is delighted to announce the successful settlement of a longstanding federal lawsuit challenging a 6-foot Ten Commandments monument in front of a Pennsylvania public high school.
U.S. District Judge Terrence McVerry dismissed the New Kensington challenge in July 2015, ruling that Schaub and her child did not have frequent enough contact with the decalog monolith, which meant that they did not have standing to sue over the violation.

In August 2016, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Schaub's legal right to challenge the bible monument. The three- judge panel unanimously found that Schaub's removal of her daughter from the school due to the presence of the monument, and prior contact with it, established their clear injury to sue.

That ruling set in motion negotiations with the school district, which has now agreed to remove the Ten Commandments monument within 30 days. The district's insurer will pay attorneys' fees of $163,500, of which more than $40,000 will go to FFRF for its attorney fees as well as reimbursement for its costs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Launch Good campaign:
On the heels of bomb threats and hate crimes against dozens of Jewish community center's across the United States, a historical Jewish cemetery was vandalized this past weekend when over 170 headstones were damaged. Muslim Americans stand in solidarity with the Jewish-American community to condemn this horrific act of desecration against the Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery. We also extend our deepest condolences to all those who have been affected and to the Jewish community at large.

The Campaign
In a campaign organized by Linda Sarsour of MPower Change and Tarek El-Messidi of CelebrateMercy, the Muslim-American community extends our hands to help rebuild this sacred space where Jewish-American families have laid their loved ones to rest since the late 1800's. Campaign proceeds will go directly to the Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in lieu of the recent damage. Any remaining funds - after the cemetery is restored - will be allocated to repair any other vandalized Jewish centers.
UPDATE 1 (Feb 21, 5:00 PM EST): We are overjoyed to reach our goal of $20,000 in three hours. Please note that we are still accepting funds. Any additional funds raised in this campaign will assist other vandalized Jewish centers nationwide.