Religion Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Religion Randomness

Post by Holman »

What a strange article. Why is it treating this old biblical factoid as some new interpretation?

I was taught all through childhood that James was one of Jesus' brothers, and that Mary and Joseph had several children after Jesus' birth. Perhaps Catholics have had a different interpretation, but this has been a standard Protestant reading of the Bible for hundreds of years.

Of course the "Stepson of God" business is just click-bait. James and the others would be the children on Mary and Joseph. Even Catholics don't claim that God the Father hung around as some kind of head of household.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

First laugh out loud moment of the day

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ouch.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis wrote:First laugh out loud moment of the day

Somebody needs to read some St. Paul:
What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?

In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life;

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote:Ouch.
It's only ouch if you think God can be so easily fooled. Somehow, I think not :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

http://www.utilitarian.net/singer/inter ... ----02.htm
His most famous book, Animal Liberation, published in 1975, jump-started the entire animal rights movement, converting many readers to lifelong vegetarianism and inspiring reforms in humane treatment for laboratory animals and livestock. But animal liberation is only one facet of Singer's ethics. Indeed, his goal is to reconfigure our entire moral landscape.

According to Singer, religion's 2000-year domination of morality ended early this decade, specifically in 1993, when British law ruled that a comatose man named Anthony Bland could be killed by his doctors. That decision, he maintains, dealt a "mortal" blow to the unquestioned sanctity of human life.

Singer argues that ethics today should be guided by a particular brand of utilitarianism: he calls himself a "preference utilitarian." In classic utilitarianism, what is good is defined as what brings happiness. But happiness is hard to measure. Singer proposes instead that good be defined by "preference." Under this philosophy, moral decisions are based on the most intense preferences of a given individual or group.

Thus, claims Singer, many times animals will be more deserving of life than certain humans, including disabled babies and adults who are brain-injured or in vegetative comas. Presumably, a healthy chimp's preference for life is more intense than a disabled infant's. This philosophy would rule out most medical experimentation on animals, as well as the breeding of animals to provide organs for human transplants.

Even more radical, Singer suggests that since preference is influenced by self-awareness, babies should not be considered "persons" until they are one month old. Before that time, parents and their doctors should be free to kill a baby if, for instance, it has Down's syndrome and the parents don't wish to raise it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote:
It's only ouch if you think God can be so easily fooled. Somehow, I think not :)
One word responses are hard to interpret, but it wasn't my intention to make him seem foolhardy. More of a reaction that someone went there.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote:
Grifman wrote:
One word responses are hard to interpret, but it wasn't my intention to make him seem foolhardy. More of a reaction that someone went there.
Thanks for the clarification, but you'd be so surprised by how many people think that's what Christians believe, that they can do what they want and have a "get out of jail free" card.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Thanks for the clarification, but you'd be so surprised by how many people think that's what Christians believe, that they can do what they want and have a "get out of jail free" card.
While "get out of jail free" is probably not the right term, some of the foundations of Christianity are Grace, mercy, and redemption. The prodigal son isn't ubiquitous because is illustrates God's wrath.

But I don't intend to get into a theological argument, the point is that a lot of people think that about Christianity because a cursory (and "cursory" is important here) review would seem to indicate that about Christianity. Right or wrong, it's not a completely illogical position if you don't dig too deep. Plus the Church's history of indulgences (selling literal "get out of jail free" cards), Sacrament of Confession, Born Again denominations, etc, doesn't help. And yes, I know that not all Christians are Catholic.

It's not wrong to see at least some humor in the caption. It either pokes fun at what Christians believe (if you are a non-Christian) or at the common misinterpretation of what Christians believe (if you are a Christian).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Fox & Friends Says Protecting Atheists From Discrimination Is Anti-Christian!

Funny how he keeps talking about the persecution of Christians and Jews by non-believers. :roll:
Personally, I would rather the pilot of any plane I'm on not crash it because that would be wrong instead of their fear of hell.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote: Personally, I would rather the pilot of any plane I'm on not crash it because that would be wrong instead of their fear of hell.
Not to mention that the son of a bitch might be Raptured right out of the cockpit.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LawBeefaroni wrote:While "get out of jail free" is probably not the right term, some of the foundations of Christianity are Grace, mercy, and redemption. The prodigal son isn't ubiquitous because is illustrates God's wrath.
No doubt, God's grace is central to Christianity. But God's grace requires a response. Jesus wasn't requesting followers to take up their cross and follow him. And the Sermon on the Mount showed that righteousness needed to be far more than external.
But I don't intend to get into a theological argument,
It's a bit late for that :)
the point is that a lot of people think that about Christianity because a cursory (and "cursory" is important here) review would seem to indicate that about Christianity. Right or wrong, it's not a completely illogical position if you don't dig too deep.
Sure, which is why I wished to issue a corrective to this common misconception.
Plus the Church's history of indulgences (selling literal "get out of jail free" cards), Sacrament of Confession, Born Again denominations, etc, doesn't help. And yes, I know that not all Christians are Catholic.
Yep, that's big stain IMO. And one I do not agree with, being a Protestant.
It's not wrong to see at least some humor in the caption.
Sure, I laughed but I also knew it was grossly wrong. Others may not.
It either pokes fun at what Christians believe (if you are a non-Christian) or at the common misinterpretation of what Christians believe (if you are a Christian).
Actually, whether you believe or not is irrelevant to the nature of the truth of the matter. It's factually wrong according to Christian theology.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes, it is completely wrong. He should have asked Santa Claus for a bike.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grifman wrote:Actually, whether you believe or not is irrelevant to the nature of the truth of the matter. It's factually wrong according to Christian theology.
Our media is filled with death bed repentances.

That's great that Christianity doesn't work that way, but you've got a sea of movies, tv, books and culture that thinks it does. Hence, funny joke.

That's all Lawbeef was saying.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's funnier as "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission." Same joke, less likelihood of winding up in this thread.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote:It's funnier as "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."
Not to me it's not. It's not really a joke like that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote:
Actually, whether you believe or not is irrelevant to the nature of the truth of the matter. It's factually wrong according to Christian theology.
Jokes don't need to maintain factual accuracy. It helps, but considering that jokes often rely on hyperbole or gross stereotyping it's certainly not a requirement.

Taking it seriously (or worrying that someone else will in this case) is like protesting that you know several intelligent blondes or that you highly doubt that an a bishop, rabbi, and an imam would walk into a strip bar at all, let alone together. You'd have a point but...

:wink:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Grifman wrote:
Jokes don't need to maintain factual accuracy. It helps, but considering that jokes often rely on hyperbole or gross stereotyping it's certainly not a requirement.
I wasn't talking about the joke in that statement, I was talking about what you said non-Christians vs Christians believe,
Taking it seriously (or worrying that someone else will in this case) is like protesting that you know several intelligent blondes or that you highly doubt that an a bishop, rabbi, and an imam would walk into a strip bar at all, let alone together. You'd have a point but...
You're not making much sense here. We both know that blondes aren't really dumb, yet you've admitted some if not many non-Christians believe this about Christians. Your examples are not equivalent.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Moliere wrote:Fox & Friends Says Protecting Atheists From Discrimination Is Anti-Christian!

Funny how he keeps talking about the persecution of Christians and Jews by non-believers. :roll:
Personally, I would rather the pilot of any plane I'm on not crash it because that would be wrong instead of their fear of hell.
Wow, watching that made my blood boil. I don't even know what to say.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Grifman wrote:
In Your version of Christianity perhaps but I've known many a Christian who believe in the inalienable right to forgiveness.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

US demographic shifts
Christianity still dominates American religious identity (70%), but the survey shows dramatic shifts as more people move out the doors of denominations, shedding spiritual connections along the way.

Atheists and agnostics have nearly doubled their share of the religious marketplace, and overall indifference to religion of any sort is rising as well. Only the historically black Protestant churches have held a steady grip through the years of change.
The percentage of people who describe themselves as Christians fell about 8 points — from 78.4% to 70.6%. This includes people in virtually all demographic groups, whether they are "nearing retirement or just entering adulthood, married or single, living in the West or the Bible Belt," according to the survey report.
Massachusetts is down on Catholics by 10 percentage points. South Carolina is down the same degree on evangelicals. Mainline Protestants, already sliding for 40 years or more, declined all over the Midwest by 3 to 4 percentage points.The Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church, the country's two largest Protestant denominations, are each down roughly the same 1.4 to 1.5 percentage points.Every tradition took a hit in in the West as the number of people who claim no religious brand continues to climb.

Christian faiths are troubled by generational change — each successive group is less connected than their parents — and by "switching" at all ages, the report shows. While nearly 86% of Americans say they grew up as Christians, nearly one in five (19%) say they aren't so anymore.

"Overall, there are more than four former Christians for every convert to Christianity," said Cooperman.
According to the survey, white "born-again or evangelical" Protestants — closely watched for their political clout within the GOP — now account for 19% of American adults, down slightly from 21% in 2007.
The "nones" — Americans who are unaffiliated with brand-name religion — are the new major force in American faith. And they are more secular in outlook — and "more comfortable admitting it" than ever before, said John Green, director of the Bliss Institute of Applied Politics at the University of Akron.

Their growth spans the generations, as well as racial and ethnic groups, said Green, a senior fellow in religion and American politics for the Pew Research Center.

"Nones," at 22.8% of the U.S. (up from 16% just eight years ago) run second only to evangelicals (25.4%) and ahead of Catholics (20.8%) in religious market share.
Atheists rose from 1.6% to 3.1%, and agnostics from 2.4% to 4%. Combined, there are more "nones" than Evangelical Lutherans, United Methodists and Episcopalians all together.
The bulk of the "nones" (15.8%, up from 12.1% in 2007) don't even commit to any view on God. Instead, they say they believe "nothing in particular."

But among the "nothings," there's a distinct split between "spiritual" and totally indifferent "nones."

Thirty percent of all "nones" still showed "a sort of religious pulse" by saying that religion is still at least somewhat important to them, said Cooperman.
However, the bulk of this group (39%) are not agnostic, atheist or vaguely spiritual — they're just not interested. Religion is not even somewhat important to them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

However, the bulk of this group (39%) are not agnostic, atheist or vaguely spiritual — they're just not interested. Religion is not even somewhat important to them.
I didn't know that was a choice!

I am not longer an agnostic atheist. It just doesn't matter to me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apatheism
Apatheism , also known as pragmatic atheism or practical atheism, is acting with apathy, disregard, or lack of interest towards belief or disbelief in a deity.

An apatheist is someone who is not interested in accepting or denying any claims that gods exist or do not exist. An apatheist lives as if there are no gods and explains natural phenomena without reference to any deities. The existence of gods is not rejected, but may be designated unnecessary or useless; gods neither provide purpose to life, nor influence everyday life, according to this view.

In other words, an apatheist is someone who considers the question of the existence of gods as neither meaningful nor relevant to their life. Some apatheists hold that if it were possible to prove that God does or does not exist, their behavior would not change
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'd say I need a T-shirt, but I'd probably be shot for wearing it in Texas.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Everyone already knows because of your car's lack of a Jesus fish. You can combat this by getting the, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could." bumper sticker.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Apatheism
Apatheism , also known as pragmatic atheism or practical atheism, is acting with apathy, disregard, or lack of interest towards belief or disbelief in a deity.

An apatheist is someone who is not interested in accepting or denying any claims that gods exist or do not exist. An apatheist lives as if there are no gods and explains natural phenomena without reference to any deities. The existence of gods is not rejected, but may be designated unnecessary or useless; gods neither provide purpose to life, nor influence everyday life, according to this view.

In other words, an apatheist is someone who considers the question of the existence of gods as neither meaningful nor relevant to their life. Some apatheists hold that if it were possible to prove that God does or does not exist, their behavior would not change
That is awesome. It doesn't describe me as I believe in spirit but it's still pretty close to where I sit on the spectrum and I love and support the idea of theistic apathy even if it doesn't describe me.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Huh, apatheist describes me pretty well. I don't think I'm going to self-identify that way because it sounds like something they just made up.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kraken wrote:Huh, apatheist describes me pretty well. I don't think I'm going to self-identify that way because it sounds like something they just made up.
There was a thing and someone gave it a name. Pretty much every name for everything was just made up at some point. Usage legitimizes the name. I will agree that not all names sound this dumb at first. Speaking of sound, how the hell do you say that?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You can always go with Jediism, especially if required on a government survey.
In Australia more than 70,000 people (0.37%) declared themselves members of the Jedi order in the 2001 census.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:Speaking of sound, how the hell do you say that?
I'd say apathy-ist, except say it fast so there is not accidental pretentious stressed syllable which makes it sound more like apa-thiest
Jaymann wrote: Jediism,
Now that's one you could have fun with the pronunciation. It could look really religious if you said jed-ee-ism insteady of jed-eye-ism.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Speaking of sound, how the hell do you say that?
I'd say apathy-ist, except say it fast so there is not accidental pretentious stressed syllable which makes it sound more like apa-thiest
Jaymann wrote: Jediism,
Now that's one you could have fun with the pronunciation. It could look really religious if you said jed-ee-ism insteady of jed-eye-ism.
app-pay-theist but with the middle sound blurred into the first and last sound.

I don't know why you would avoid making the "theist" sound, as that's clearly the word AND meaning in this context. So the way you're trying to avoid saying it is almost certainly the way it's pronounced.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think I am with Mortis on this one. I think in the Apathy should get the emphasis.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote:apay
I aggressively reject your oppression!

You make it sound like I have to care about the A in a-theism this way.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A-pə-THEE-ist
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote:
Kraken wrote:Huh, apatheist describes me pretty well. I don't think I'm going to self-identify that way because it sounds like something they just made up.
There was a thing and someone gave it a name. Pretty much every name for everything was just made up at some point. Usage legitimizes the name. I will agree that not all names sound this dumb at first. Speaking of sound, how the hell do you say that?
People already have enough trouble understanding "agnostic." Plus "apathy-ist" sounds like "I strongly believe in not caring!"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Plus "apathy-ist" sounds like "I strongly believe in not caring!"
And that's why I like it.

A A P A T H Y apathy is our battle cry
Hey, that's not how it's spelled
Aw, we don't give a fuck
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bill O'Reilly blames rap music for the decline of organized religion.

:roll:
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

When the bigoted, divisive voices of the Christian right-wing drown out everyone else, it makes young people and progressives feel unwelcome in the pews. Like anything else in this world, Christianity can be used as a justification for doing great good, or unspeakable evil.

The challenge is to those of us who are part of the amorphous "religious left" and mainstream to reassert our role in the public face of our faith. People need to know that Christianity is meant primarily for those who are are seeking and unsure, not those who think they have all the answers.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Then make up something better!
Black Lives Matter