For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Re: Religion Randomness

Post by Moliere »

South Park "Starvin Marvin"
reading bible plus accepting Jesus = food
:lol:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote:According to the fundies, the Rapture is starting tomorrow. Does that mean I don't have to go to my business meeting on Sunday?
It's only the fringe of a minority that believes that.

Most fundamentalists know that a just God will not deny them President Pence.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod wrote:
Grifman wrote:
Paingod wrote:Makes it sound like they're being really nice, but then you kind of realize it's a perfect opportunity to take advantage of some really beaten down, vulnerable people and get some recruiting in. It's always easier to snag some new followers if you can catch them at rock bottom.
One does not preclude the other. You can have several motivations in anything you do. Christ called his followers both to help people and spread his gospel. As long as aid is not contingent on someone converting or even listening, I see nothing to object to.
It's also possible to just render aid without stuffing your beliefs into the sandwich.
It is also possible to just sit on the sidelines espousing your beliefs while providing no sandwich.

Something something gift horses something mouths.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Grifman wrote:
Paingod wrote:
Grifman wrote:
Paingod wrote:Makes it sound like they're being really nice, but then you kind of realize it's a perfect opportunity to take advantage of some really beaten down, vulnerable people and get some recruiting in. It's always easier to snag some new followers if you can catch them at rock bottom.
One does not preclude the other. You can have several motivations in anything you do. Christ called his followers both to help people and spread his gospel. As long as aid is not contingent on someone converting or even listening, I see nothing to object to.
It's also possible to just render aid without stuffing your beliefs into the sandwich.
Sure, but there's nothing wrong with sharing with people about what you believe is very important. In fact, it would hypocritical and dishonest to not do so. If one believes that there is an eternal destination for people, and that there is a God who loves them, then just providing them food and shelter when there are issues such as this would be negligent if not immoral not so share this with them according to one's own beliefs. People are free to listen or not.
I think this is an interesting point in the discussion. For people who truly believe in their faith, if they believe that their faith has the power to save someone's soul, to not share it is far worse in the eyes of believers. I can see both sides of the argument, because I've had plenty of people try to "save" me, and it can be really irritating. But on the other hand for people who truly believe their faith has the power to save, and that salvation is necessary, to not share it with others would be wrong. They have no choice at that point. It becomes an obligation to at least invite others to listen.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote:According to the fundies, the Rapture is starting tomorrow. Does that mean I don't have to go to my business meeting on Sunday?
So the Rapture didn't happen - not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed. And our meeting was held in a church. I had to suppress the urge to make a joke about people ascending during the meeting.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Jaymann wrote:
So the Rapture didn't happen - not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed. And our meeting was held in a church. I had to suppress the urge to make a joke about people ascending during the meeting.
What if The Rapture® did happen, but nobody was worthy?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
Expect flooding in the near future? Time to build a very large boat? How do you feel about animals? Or incest?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Grifman wrote:
Paingod wrote:
Grifman wrote:
Sure, but there's nothing wrong with sharing with people about what you believe is very important. In fact, it would hypocritical and dishonest to not do so. If one believes that there is an eternal destination for people, and that there is a God who loves them, then just providing them food and shelter when there are issues such as this would be negligent if not immoral not so share this with them according to one's own beliefs. People are free to listen or not.
People lining up to receive aid because they have nothing left aren't "free to listen or not" - they're a captive audience. I personally believe that it's amoral and reprehensible for someone to try and recruit people who can't walk away and are at an extremely low point in their lives. It's how pimps find prostitutes and how religions find converts. If what you were selling was actually worth buying, you wouldn't need to preach to the desperate and downtrodden. They'd be seeking you out. To each their own. :confusion-shrug:

Not much point in arguing. You know you're right in trying to "save" them. I know you're wrong to abuse their situation.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote:
I was looking for a place that would have the highest chances of saintly folks ascending to the heavens on that day, but the only places near my apartment with large enough numbers are churches. :cry:
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
Expect flooding in the near future? Time to build a very large boat? How do you feel about animals? Or incest?
All I know is that it is hot as hell this week, and the heat wave seems to have triggered a flypocalypse in my apartment building. If I remember my Sunday school lessons aright, then those are clear signs of the End Times®.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I am absolutely miserable in this heat, and taking it out on the world in general. I remember when breaking 30C could be counted on 2 hands for the entire year (note: I am unsure this is true. It FEELS true, so I'm going with it). End of September is supposed to be 15-18C with a cool breeze and leaves changing.

This is NOT how I expect my favourite season to behave.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We're looking at 32c (91f) for almost a full week here. Should have relief by Thursday when we dip all the way down to the mid 70s. September may have been hotter than July. We certainly had more 90+ days.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote:We're looking at 32c (91f) for almost a full week here. Should have relief by Thursday when we dip all the way down to the mid 70s. September may have been hotter than July. We certainly had more 90+ days.
That's pretty much what we're seeing here this week; temperatures of around 32C, with the humidex hitting 40C. The forecast is for the heat wave to break on Wednesday or Thursday, with a return to seasonal temperatures by the weekend, FSM willing (to get back on topic).

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:We're looking at 32c (91f) for almost a full week here. Should have relief by Thursday when we dip all the way down to the mid 70s. September may have been hotter than July. We certainly had more 90+ days.
That's pretty much what we're seeing here this week; temperatures of around 32C, with the humidex hitting 40C. The forecast is for the heat wave to break on Wednesday or Thursday, with a return to seasonal temperatures by the weekend, FSM willing (to get back on topic).
Oh, so you're of the FSM-controls-the-weather sect? May He have mercy on your misguided meatballs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Time for another reformation. Anyone got a hammer? Or maybe a pasta spoon?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

There were a ton of religious organizations that were doing flood assistance. All I got was food, labor, condolences, and well wishes. I think any proselytizing was overly exaggerated. I didn't even get any prayers from them. All that was random folk on the facebook.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

GreenGoo wrote:I am absolutely miserable in this heat, and taking it out on the world in general. I remember when breaking 30C could be counted on 2 hands for the entire year (note: I am unsure this is true. It FEELS true, so I'm going with it). End of September is supposed to be 15-18C with a cool breeze and leaves changing.

This is NOT how I expect my favourite season to behave.
God bless this post for its truth.

I want me some real Fall weather please.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

noxiousdog wrote:There were a ton of religious organizations that were doing flood assistance. All I got was food, labor, condolences, and well wishes. I think any proselytizing was overly exaggerated. I didn't even get any prayers from them. All that was random folk on the facebook.
Who didn't really pray, they just said they would on facebook, because see what good people they are?
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:There were a ton of religious organizations that were doing flood assistance. All I got was food, labor, condolences, and well wishes. I think any proselytizing was overly exaggerated. I didn't even get any prayers from them. All that was random folk on the facebook.
Who didn't really pray, they just said they would on facebook, because see what good people they are?
I pray we find something more interesting to randomly discuss.

Or did I?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pray tell, did you?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I will prey upon anyone that continues this conversation.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Raw Story
An evangelical church already under investigation for luring foreign believers to the U.S., where they were kept as virtual slaves, has been accused of encouraging parishioners to file fraudulent unemployment claims so they could keep tithing.

According to an Associated Press investigation, the founder of the Word of Faith Fellowship reportedly encouraged church members to defraud the government so that they could keep filling her coffers at Sunday services, saying it was “God’s plan.”

In an interview, contractor Randy Fields related how he appealed to church founder Jane Whaley to allow him to scale back his tithing because his business was faltering, only to have the religious leader encourage him to file fraudulent unemployment claims in the names of his employees.

According to the report, Fields was not alone, with multiple other church members — and fellowship employees – also admitting they committed fraud in the name of the church. The report goes on to note that the allegations are being investigated by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
In June of this year, a church member admitted that she led approximately 30 parishioners from her church to attack and beat a gay member of the church in an effort to “expel his demons.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In an interview, contractor Randy Fields related how he appealed to church founder Jane Whaley to allow him to scale back his tithing because his business was faltering, only to have the religious leader encourage him to file fraudulent unemployment claims in the names of his employees.
Someone explain this to me.... "allow him to scale back his tithing"

I'm curious is it a certain dollar amount to prevent going to hell or is it a percentage? I thought that was Scientology stuff.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tithing is 10% of your income. I know it's very common among protestant denominations and trying to make a comeback in Catholic circles. Not sure about other faiths.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I didn't realize it was literally a tenth. Can you tell I never attended church after my sunday school days? :oops:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:Someone explain this to me.... "allow him to scale back his tithing"
You could say that his mandatory donations to the church were financially decimating his business. :coffee:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Max Peck wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Someone explain this to me.... "allow him to scale back his tithing"
You could say that his mandatory donations to the church were financially decimating his business. :coffee:
Beat me to it!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

coopasonic wrote:I didn't realize it was literally a tenth. Can you tell I never attended church after my sunday school days? :oops:
The etymology is "tenth," but none of the churches I've personally known ever declared a specific expectation.

Grifty scam churches? Sure. I'll bet they do.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote:Tithing is 10% of your income. I know it's very common among protestant denominations and trying to make a comeback in Catholic circles. Not sure about other faiths.
I had thought it was mostly Mormons in the US.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Most churches of every stripe pass the plate weekly. That's how they pay the preacher and the secretary and the light bill and the janitor. (The Catholic church, as a massive and centralized international body, might do it differently.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

2015 article
Which brings us to today's big question: If almost no one at church tithes these days, and if among those few who do, many are in better-than-average financial shape, does this mean that "only rich folks tithe"?

That seems to be the gist of what MarketWatch resident financial expert Quentin Fottrell argues. According to Fottrell, people who tithe 10 percent or more of their income to church are a rare and well-off bunch. Simply put, they tithe because they can afford it -- but most of us cannot.
MarketWatch bases this argument on research in a 2013 "State of the Plate" research report sponsored by such organizations as Christianity Today and the Evangelical Christian Credit Union.

This report, currently the most comprehensive research available on trends in tithing among churchgoers, tends to support MarketWatch's take. For example, statistics cited in "State of the Plate" confirm that churchgoers who tithe do have their finances in better order than those who do not tithe. For example, they are:
  • 40 percent less likely (15 percent versus 25 percent) than the average churchgoer to owe significant debt (more than $50,000).
  • Only half as likely (20 percent vs. 40 percent) to be overdue on their credit cards.
  • Twice as likely to be entirely debt-free (28 percent versus 13 percent).
But as well off as they may be, there aren't a lot of tithers. In fact, out of the U.S. population of 315 million (circa 2013), State of the Plate says only 10 million people tithed 10 percent or more of their income.

That "10 million" is an interesting number. Gallup polling data show that 43 percent of Americans attended church weekly (or nearly so) in 2013. Out of a population of 315 million, that's roughly 135 million souls.

State of the Plate estimates 10 million of these people tithed 10 percent of their income, implying only 7.4 percent of professed churchgoers are tithing 10 percent. What's more, out of the whole U.S. population, this suggests that barely 3 percent of us tithe 10 percent or more.

And yet, State of the Plate reports that these 10 million tithers donate more than $50 billion annually to their churches.
State of the Plate reports that 77 percent of tithers polled do give more than 10 percent on Sunday. Specifically, 23 percent give 10 percent, but:
  • 54 percent give between 11 and 15 percent.
  • 14 percent "tithe" 16 to 20 percent.
  • and 9 percent give 20 percent or more.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Saw a chalk statement on campus today:

Zionism = Racism

Can someone point me towards a definition of Zionism for this point? Or any, really?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:2015 article
Which brings us to today's big question: If almost no one at church tithes these days, and if among those few who do, many are in better-than-average financial shape, does this mean that "only rich folks tithe"?

That seems to be the gist of what MarketWatch resident financial expert Quentin Fottrell argues. According to Fottrell, people who tithe 10 percent or more of their income to church are a rare and well-off bunch. Simply put, they tithe because they can afford it -- but most of us cannot.
MarketWatch bases this argument on research in a 2013 "State of the Plate" research report sponsored by such organizations as Christianity Today and the Evangelical Christian Credit Union.

This report, currently the most comprehensive research available on trends in tithing among churchgoers, tends to support MarketWatch's take. For example, statistics cited in "State of the Plate" confirm that churchgoers who tithe do have their finances in better order than those who do not tithe. For example, they are:
  • 40 percent less likely (15 percent versus 25 percent) than the average churchgoer to owe significant debt (more than $50,000).
  • Only half as likely (20 percent vs. 40 percent) to be overdue on their credit cards.
  • Twice as likely to be entirely debt-free (28 percent versus 13 percent).
But as well off as they may be, there aren't a lot of tithers. In fact, out of the U.S. population of 315 million (circa 2013), State of the Plate says only 10 million people tithed 10 percent or more of their income.

That "10 million" is an interesting number. Gallup polling data show that 43 percent of Americans attended church weekly (or nearly so) in 2013. Out of a population of 315 million, that's roughly 135 million souls.

State of the Plate estimates 10 million of these people tithed 10 percent of their income, implying only 7.4 percent of professed churchgoers are tithing 10 percent. What's more, out of the whole U.S. population, this suggests that barely 3 percent of us tithe 10 percent or more.

And yet, State of the Plate reports that these 10 million tithers donate more than $50 billion annually to their churches.
State of the Plate reports that 77 percent of tithers polled do give more than 10 percent on Sunday. Specifically, 23 percent give 10 percent, but:
I grew up in suburban (Atlanta, Birmingham) conservative evangelical churches in generally well-to-do neighborhoods. There were always a few very wealthy congregants who gave very generously (as in "enough to build the new auditorium" generously).

In theory they were anonymous, but everyone knew. It produced great social status, but the tax write-off was surely at least as significant.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote:Can someone point me towards a definition of Zionism for this point? Or any, really?
Basically it means Netanyahu's support for West Bank settlements.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:2015 article
[...]
Incidentally, is this pattern the basis for the claim that conservatives give more to charity than liberals?

Does donating to pay the preacher's mortgage count the same as giving to Oxfam?

Post by Default »

Holman wrote:Most churches of every stripe pass the plate weekly. That's how they pay the preacher and the secretary and the light bill and the janitor. (The Catholic church, as a massive and centralized international body, might do it differently.)
My ex's church does it electronically. The last time I was in there, the impression I got was <$50 was physically collected.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
The Freedom From Religion Foundation has prevailed in federal court against Texas Governor Greg Abbott, who ordered the removal of FFRF’s winter solstice Bill of Rights Nativity from the Texas Capitol in 2015.

In his decision, handed down late on Friday, Oct. 13, U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks for the Western District of Texas – Austin Division, ruled that Abbott violated FFRF’s free speech rights.

FFRF had placed a duly permitted display celebrating the Winter Solstice and Bill of Rights Day, in response to a Christian nativity at the Texas Capitol. The display, depicting founding fathers and the Statue of Liberty celebrating the birth of the Bill of Rights (adopted Dec. 15, 1791), had the requisite sponsorship from a Texas legislator.

Abbott, as chair of the Texas State Preservation Board, ordered FFRF’s display taken down only three days after it was erected, lambasting it as indecent, mocking and contributing to public immorality.

"Defendants have justified removal of FFRF's exhibit by arguing the exhibit's satirical tone rendered it offensive to some portion of the population. That is viewpoint discrimination,” writes Sparks in a 24-page ruling. The court also held that a reasonable official in Governor Abbott's position would have known that removing FFRF's display based on its viewpoint would violate FFRF's First Amendment rights, thus FFRF can sue Governor Abbott in his personal capacity.
Sparks did not find that Abbott’s actions violated the Establishment Clause, but also ruled in FFRF’s favor that FFRF has the right to depose the governor for one hour. Abbott had fought the request for a deposition.
Zarathud

Religion Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

The Satanists are going to have some fun with this precedent.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is that George Washington taking a knee?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Austria burqa ban: PR agency told man to dress as shark to violate new law
A man dressed as a shark has been fined under new anti-burqa laws in Austria. A PR agency has admitted the incident was a stunt designed to make a "socially relevant" point.

Austrian PR agency Warda Network has admitted it told one of its employees to dress as a shark to challenge the country's new anti-burqa laws.

Police had confronted a man on Friday after he was seen promoting a new outlet of the McShark electronics store in Vienna in a costume that covered his face. When he refused to remove his shark head, he was given a fine of €150 ($176).