What is the greatest threat to America?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

What is the greatest threat to America?

Post by Kraken »

I like polls, but decided not to bias responses by putting up my own list of suggestions.

There are three ways you could interpret the question: What's the biggest existential threat to America as a country or society (which is what I mean to ask); what's the biggest physical threat to Americans in general; and what threatens you personally as an American? One might also consider immediate, near-term, and long-term threats to be different things.

Answer it however you like.
Holman

Re: What is the greatest threat to America?

Post by Holman »

Income inequality is the biggest threat to what we used to call the American Dream and the American way of life.

The overreach of the Security State is the biggest threat to liberty, particularly to freedom of the press.

I don't see any external existential threats to America in general. Terrorists could hurt us badly (a dirty bomb ruins a city), and foreign governments could sabotage our economy, but neither will destroy us. The greatest short-/mid-term existential threat is ideological fragmentation into two or more incompatible societies. Our cultural-political echo chambers will do more harm than Al Qaeda could ever imagine.

The long-term existential threat is environmental collapse, but that will get everyone if it happens.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote:Terrorists could hurt us badly (a dirty bomb ruins a city)
Imagine what happens to our liberty and freedom of speech when (because it will happen eventually) a terrorist manages to nuke a U.S. city. You can kiss the Constitution goodbye.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:
Holman wrote:Terrorists could hurt us badly (a dirty bomb ruins a city)
Imagine what happens to our liberty and freedom of speech when (because it will happen eventually) a terrorist manages to nuke a U.S. city. You can kiss the Constitution goodbye.
I'm pretty sure we already did. Big Brother is watching.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

What Holman said.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

My greatest concern is that Corporate America is no longer truly invested in the nation's future. With growing markets all over the globe, there's no longer any concern about, for example, growing the American Middle Class the way Henry Ford and other industrialists attempted to do 100 years ago. Now the US is just another market to be exploited fiscally and politically.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Security state/big brother. In that sense the 9/11 terrorists delt the biggest blow to who we are than anything that has happened to us previously.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What AWS said about what Holman said.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

What Holman and Apollo said.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

People. People are the greatest threat to America.

We got 99 problems, but non-made-man ones aren't one. No people, no problems.

People are also our greatest safeguard.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dreadnoughts.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ourselves.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I agree that income inequality and the decline of the middle class is our greatest existential threat, along with the closely related ratification of selling the government to the 1% via Citizens United. The country will cease to represent the people who nominally constitute the government, if it hasn't already. This could end with Drazzil's hoped-for revolution. More likely, though, the elite preserves its hegemony with bread and circuses and populist charades while the military-industrial complex thrives on perpetual war (thanks, Muslims!) that brings a new imperium. If Rome's patricians could pull it off, so can ours.

In other words the American Republic is already dead or close to it, but the American Empire's greatest days might be aborning.

Long-term, climate change will lead to a general collapse of the world civilization. Maybe the Muslim world will finally prevail by virtue of having never joined civilization in the first place. ;)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In the short term the only real existential threats to America as a country are apocalyptic - nuclear weapons (which if they're destroying America are probably destroying the world) or some super-plague that wipes out tens of millions (thereby causing general societal breakdown). Or advanced aliens discover Earth.

Over the long-term (50+ years) I suppose it's theoretical that China or a Chinese led alliance could pose an existential threat.
Black Lives Matter.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Growth of the welfare state has already doomed the USA, too late to even bother worrying about big brother or income inequality. So yeah "people" and human nature were what was most dangerous to us. :horse:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Rip

Post by Rip »

Rock music?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Aw c'mon, nobody's going to take ebola?
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Fear is the greatest threat. Fear leads to stupid decisions. Stupid decisions destroy.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

El Guapo wrote:In the short term the only real existential threats to America as a country are apocalyptic - nuclear weapons (which if they're destroying America are probably destroying the world) or some super-plague that wipes out tens of millions (thereby causing general societal breakdown). Or advanced aliens discover Earth.

Over the long-term (50+ years) I suppose it's theoretical that China or a Chinese led alliance could pose an existential threat.
Not sure... I think some sort of EMP type disruption could be the most dangerous and likely existential threat. Forget about the fact that you could create these conditions in a somewhat limited way by detonating a nuke above the United States because I think the likelihood of that happening is probably pretty rare. A Carrington Level (or worse) event of a double hit by two back to back solar ejections would destroy our electric infrastructure for many months or even a year or more. This would cause absolute chaos and death, and a chain reaction of death from related events.

Contrary to popular belief, automobiles would not "blink out" and stop working. You could drive around for a while. However, with no electricity the flow of gasoline would dry up pretty quickly. Without the massive logistic infrastructure (semi trucks) for delivering food -- that would dry up quickly too.

Some scientists give as much as a 10% change of a Carrington level event to occur during solar maximums, and nobody really knows how frequently it's happened to earth since it really went undetected prior to the telegraph.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msduncan wrote:
El Guapo wrote:In the short term the only real existential threats to America as a country are apocalyptic - nuclear weapons (which if they're destroying America are probably destroying the world) or some super-plague that wipes out tens of millions (thereby causing general societal breakdown). Or advanced aliens discover Earth.

Not sure... I think some sort of EMP type disruption could be the most dangerous and likely existential threat. Forget about the fact that you could create these conditions in a somewhat limited way by detonating a nuke above the United States because I think the likelihood of that happening is probably pretty rare. A Carrington Level (or worse) event of a double hit by two back to back solar ejections would destroy our electric infrastructure for many months or even a year or more. This would cause absolute chaos and death, and a chain reaction of death from related events.

Contrary to popular belief, automobiles would not "blink out" and stop working. You could drive around for a while. However, with no electricity the flow of gasoline would dry up pretty quickly. Without the massive logistic infrastructure (semi trucks) for delivering food -- that would dry up quickly too.

Some scientists give as much as a 10% change of a Carrington level event to occur during solar maximums, and nobody really knows how frequently it's happened to earth since it really went undetected prior to the telegraph.
That would be devastating for Americans to be sure, but as "existential" threat to the *country* would have to cause the United States to cease to exist as an independent country. Destruction of our electric infrastructure for months or a year would cause enormous personal suffering, but it's not like the states would suddenly secede or the union would dissolve (though maybe Texas takes its chance to leave).

So that's why I said any existential threat (other than foreign conquest, which is almost impossible now but could become possible many decades down the line) has to be essentially apocalyptic in nature, a la Mad Max. Breakdown in civil authority where armed gangs can take and hold large chunks of territory.

I should say that in the rosy version of the future, I assume that one day the United States would become a subset of a continental / global / solar government of some type (say, the United Federation of Planets) - could be some type of North American union before joining a planetary (or close to it) government. That would cause the U.S. to cease to exist as an independent nation, so I suppose would be existential in nature, though it would be voluntary (hopefully) in nature, so wouldn't exactly be a "threat."
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msduncan wrote:

Tremendous loss of capital, property, and lives? Yes. End of America? I doubt it. Recovery is completely possible.

Still, it's a legitimate threat but we're working on preventive measures.

Tangental good reading: Electricity Today.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

em2nought wrote:Growth of the welfare state has already doomed the USA, too late to even bother worrying about big brother or income inequality. So yeah "people" and human nature were what was most dangerous to us. :horse:
Tell that to most of Western Europe. They seem to be chugging along just fine.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Big Brother is already changing our expectations of government oversight. Just 15 years ago it would have been hard to imagine all of the cameras we now have spying on our cities. I remember going to Eastern Europe in 2000 and being stunned by the amount of government cameras they had watching their streets. Now our major cities have even more.

Another viable threat that I don't think anyone has mentioned is A.I. In the past we could just write it off as science fiction, but more and more knowledgeable people raise it as an area of concern, so I think it will become possible that an A.I. becomes "self aware" and sees humanity as problem, unless we are careful.
FTE
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Death panels.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Death panels.
Gay Marriage will do us in long before death panels.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

(Willful?) Ignorance and (short sighted) greed.

They're a horrible combination. America has a sense of entitlement. We vote with it. We work for it. And we fight for it. We are collectively became the alpha male of the world from 1914 to 1888.

And now we have this us vs them mentality and we are also victims of us vs them while we continue to use resources at a rate that might not be sustainable for 20 years, let along 50 or 100. We put politicians in office beholden to corporate interests that drain or ability to produce while feeding our desire to consume that will flee to China and leave the US hanging the moment it is in their interest to do so and they are reinforcing that interest because China are a growing market where the US is saturated. And the US and China that us vs them attitude all the while.

Would/Will it be ecology, economy, or tribalism that does us in? I have no idea but ignorance and greed will/would be the vehicle we ride in to get there.

As an American, nothing threatens me much. As an American, I fear a bit of the post employment economy we are riding Walllstreet to deliver us to and racial/nationalistic pride making global war for my nieces and nephews a reality. But I have very little national pride, I suppose. I'd love to see America go gracefully into the night. Go the way of Europe, while economies in China and India and South Korea prop up the world economy. But I don't think we're capable of that. I think we fear too much and there is too much of us and them between us and them to let that happen.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It took two world wars and tens of millions of deaths for Europe to "Go the way of Europe" and being rebuilt and propped up by an economic powerhouse that had a strategic need to keep them as a speedbump against the efforts of hegemony by another economic powerhouse bent on world domination.

If America slides downhill, there will be no reason for anyone to step in and help us. Even our allies will smell blood in the water, make the appropriate noises, and take advantage.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:It took two world wars and tens of millions of deaths for Europe to "Go the way of Europe" and being rebuilt and propped up by an economic powerhouse that had a strategic need to keep them as a speedbump against the efforts of hegemony by another economic powerhouse bent on world domination.

If America slides downhill, there will be no reason for anyone to step in and help us. Even our allies will smell blood in the water, make the appropriate noises, and take advantage.
I think it's possible to go the way of Europe without the wars, or so I hope because if it's not then it's not America I fear for so much as the coming generations of my family.

Or maybe we'll get those nanobots and will be good.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was going to say "apathy" last night when I saw this post, but I couldn't be bothered.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
You are both wrong. Nekkid boobies on TV will eventually result in all of the puritanical pundits to spontaneously combust, opening the door for the Taliban to say "told you so!" as they infiltrate our media and begin their subversive campaign.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

coopasonic wrote:I was going to say "apathy" last night when I saw this post, but I couldn't be bothered.
I was going to say "ignorance", but I'm not so sure anymore.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
You are both wrong. Nekkid boobies on TV will eventually result in all of the puritanical pundits to spontaneously combust, opening the door for the Taliban to say "told you so!" as they infiltrate our media and begin their subversive campaign.
Damn you Time Warner (parent of HBO and Cinemax)!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Damn you Time Warner (parent of HBO and Cinemax)!
Oh, those puritans are cheap bastards and never pay for premium channels, so boobies have roamed freely on such channels since the 80's. It's those that appear on broadcast TV that seem to be the most insidious.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Moliere wrote:
coopasonic wrote:I was going to say "apathy" last night when I saw this post, but I couldn't be bothered.
All I can be certain of is that I don't know, and don't care.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote:
Moliere wrote:
All I can be certain of is that I don't know, and don't care.
Put this man in cell #1, and give him a drink.

What do you drink?

I don't care.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

britney spears
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ezmacncheese

Post by ezmacncheese »

1) Cyber Crime

2) WMD Proliferation

3) Environmental Degradation
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

School lunch programs.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Sugar.

No, honestly.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

cheeba wrote:Sugar.

No, honestly.
Hmm, I can vote for that. Good one.