ECDMPWTFEYemen?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: ECDMPWTFEYemen?

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Vorret wrote:Welcome... I take it you're another French Canadian on board or you just know your way around the language?
No, I'm just an Anglo with a smattering of Franglais and an unhealthy fascination with words and language.
"Unhealthy" fascination?
I actually gave a lot of consideration to that adjective, but I still chose poorly. "Abnormal" would have been better, or maybe "obsessive". "Autistic" would be the most honest but, the internet being what it is, many people would assume I was being dickishly figurative or setting up an excuse for bad behaviour ("I'm not an asshole, I'm just an Aspie! Tolerate me!"). For me, it's just the best frame of reference to explain how I perceive and experience the world, or how I struggle to pull coherent thoughts out of my brain and jam them into your eyes (or -- "Bob" forbid -- your ears... You *really* don't want to know how much fun it isn't to try to have a social conversation with me).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Saudi Arabia has intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Yemen, reports say, after a loud explosion was heard near Riyadh airport.

Saudi air defence forces were quoted by broadcaster Al-Arabiya as saying they intercepted the missile north-east of the capital.

A TV channel linked to Houthi rebels in Yemen said the missile was fired at the King Khalid International Airport.

Saudi state news channel Al-Ekhbariya said the missile caused no damage.

Saudi forces have reported shooting down Houthi missiles before, though none have come so close to a major population centre.

The rebel group has access to a stockpile of Scud ballistic missiles. Saudi forces have previously brought them down with Patriot surface-to-air missiles purchased from the US.
Saudi Arabia is leading a campaign to defeat the Houthis, and is the biggest power in an international air coalition that has bombed the rebel group since 2015.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Seeing an opening created by the kingdom's new pariah status after the killing of a dissident journalist, US officials say the time is ripe to move on longstanding goals, including forcing an end to the Saudi-led bombing campaign that has prompted a humanitarian crisis in neighboring Yemen.

The officials acknowledged that neither the Yemen war nor the dispute with Qatar can be solved quickly. But the administration hopes to make progress on both fronts by the end of the year, they said, and have recently stepped up public calls on Saudi Arabia to alleviate the disputes.

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo both this week called on participants in the Yemen civil war to agree to a ceasefire "in the next 30 days," a demand that comes amid fresh criticism of US support for the Saudi-led coalition in the conflict.
His call was later echoed by Pompeo, who issued a statement saying, "the United States calls on all parties to support UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths in finding a peaceful solution to the conflict in Yemen."
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

As always I find myself shocked that the voice of reason in the Drumpf administration seems to be a Marine general whose nickname is "Mad Dog".
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wait. Aren't you guys withdrawing from the UN?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're renegotiating a new UN without all those shithole countries.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The House on Wednesday passed a resolution to end U.S. military support for the Saudi-led coalition operating in Yemen, a repudiation of President Trump’s continued cooperation with and defense of the kingdom and its crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

The measure passed 248 to 177, and was supported by 230 Democrats and 18 Republicans. It marks the end of a months-long campaign from the legislation’s sponsors, whom House Republicans blocked last year from bringing the measure to the floor — even as a bipartisan majority of the Senate voted to approve it. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) had promised a vote on the measure when Democrats took over the House this year.

The war-powers legislation now heads back to the Senate, where sponsors said they are “hopeful” that similar numbers of Republicans and Democrats will vote for it when it comes up in the next few weeks. But even if they manage to pass the resolution in that body, Trump is already threatening to veto the measure — and Congress does not have the votes to overcome it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The Senate on Thursday fell short of the votes needed to override President Trump’s veto of legislation demanding an end of U.S. support for the Saudi-led military coalition operating in Yemen, a country plagued by more than four years of a devastating civil war.

The measure, sponsored by Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), passed the Senate and the House earlier this year, with the support of all Democrats, seven Republican senators and 18 House Republicans. Those same Senate Republicans — Lee was joined by Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Steve Daines (Mont.), Jerry Moran (Kan.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Rand Paul (Ky.) and Todd C. Young (Ind.) — voted with the Democrats on Thursday to override Trump’s veto in a 53-to-45 vote. Two-thirds of the Senate, or 67 senators, would have been necessary to sustain an override.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Nearly six months since the so-called Stockholm agreement was signed by Yemen’s warring parties in an effort to prevent a deepening humanitarian crisis, any semblance of progress is almost dead.

The agreement, signed on Dec. 13, stipulates the redeployment of forces away from crucial sea ports in Hodeida, the formation of a joint committee to address the long-besieged Taiz and the exchange of war prisoners and political detainees. Cheered by the international community, it brought a dose of hope among observers that the first step toward peace in Yemen might be within reach.

Yet the handshake between the heads of the warring parties’ delegations is as far as either side has budged. Since December, there is little improvement to show on the ground — and the diplomatic obstacles keep piling up. Just last month, Yemen’s internationally-recognized president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, temporarily suspended talks with U.N. envoy Martin Griffiths over allegations of bias toward the Iran-aligned Houthi militants. The move comes days after Griffiths was accused of “transgressions” while briefing the U.N. Security Council.

This failure has come as no surprise to most Yemenis, who were hesitant from the begninning to pin any hopes on the agreement being implemented. Despite warnings from Yemeni intellectuals and observers that the international community was favoring political expediency over addressing the conflict’s root causes, the parties appeared pressured to reach a limited agreement that could bring the illusion of victory.

The agreement lacked fundamental details. It did not identify the authorities who would be responsible for monitoring Hodeida’s ports, or specify the mechanism of implementing the redeployment, thereby leaving the most contentious issues to be sorted out later. More importantly, mediators from the United Nations ignored the imbalance of power between the warring parties. The government of Yemen was subjected to regional and international pressure, while the Houthis were positioned on equal footing with the legitimate government, giving them a victory simply for showing up.