ISIS

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: ISIS

Post by Isgrimnur »

Idiot.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think canning for bubblegum on the sidewalk is a bit much, but I wouldn't mind seeing this guy get beaten.

Stupid.
Rip

Post by Rip »

President Obama just found out how many good anti-ISIS fighters $500 million buys: five, at most.
Gen. Lloyd Austin, who leads the U.S. military’s Central Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday there are only four or five Syrian fighters left out of 54 who were trained as part of a U.S. program.
http://www.wnd.com/2015/09/obamas-syria ... -implodes/

Of course even those five may turn out to be as poor fighters as the Iraq military people we trained.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Meh. We spend more on toilet seats for military planes.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:
President Obama just found out how many good anti-ISIS fighters $500 million buys: five, at most.
Gen. Lloyd Austin, who leads the U.S. military’s Central Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday there are only four or five Syrian fighters left out of 54 who were trained as part of a U.S. program.

Of course even those five may turn out to be as poor fighters as the Iraq military people we trained.
Ahh, love WND's fuzzy math. No, sorry, did I say "fuzzy math?" I mean their outright bullshit.

ABC wrote:General Lloyd Austin, the commander of U.S. Central Command leading the war on ISIS, told Congress today that only "four or five" of the first 54 U.S.trained moderate Syrian fighters remain in the fight against ISIS.

Christine Wormuth, the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, also told the Senate Armed Services Committee that there are currently between 100 and 120 fighters in a program that was slated to have trained 5,400 fighters in its first 12 months.

Austin told the panel that goal was not going to be met and that options are being explored about how to retool the program which was intended to train moderate Syrian rebels to fight ISIS. So far, $42 million has been spent to develop the $500 million program which began training in April.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Rip wrote:

Ahh, love WND's fuzzy math. No, sorry, did I say "fuzzy math?" I mean their outright bullshit.

ABC wrote:General Lloyd Austin, the commander of U.S. Central Command leading the war on ISIS, told Congress today that only "four or five" of the first 54 U.S.trained moderate Syrian fighters remain in the fight against ISIS.

Christine Wormuth, the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, also told the Senate Armed Services Committee that there are currently between 100 and 120 fighters in a program that was slated to have trained 5,400 fighters in its first 12 months.

Austin told the panel that goal was not going to be met and that options are being explored about how to retool the program which was intended to train moderate Syrian rebels to fight ISIS. So far, $42 million has been spent to develop the $500 million program which began training in April.

So only ten million each. Which it appears means we get 50 soldiers for $500 million. Well that makes me feel better.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If we can't create a friendly faction for Syria's civil war then maybe the rest of that $500M could be channeled into helping refugees.

Hahahaha
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote: So only ten million each. Which it appears means we get 50 soldiers for $500 million. Well that makes me feel better.
Yeah, that's not how it works but have at it in fantasyland.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We have a program and have a small group of 54 to start just 5 months ago. They'll have 3 more classes of 100-120 trained, vetted fighters and the expectation to be able to ramp up later over time.

There's nothing like deception to make America think their money has been wasted. That's what happens when you rely on a conservative conspiracy theory news network best known for promoting the Obama citizenship controversy.

It's the vetting process that's cutting down the numbers -- 42 of 1,100 initial men were accepted. Plus, ISIS has been picking off and capturing the trained recruits. NYT. We need more volume of troops to be trained, but that's not going to happen in the first year or if we keep being extremely selective.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

The Pentagon spent $41.8 million (out of $500 million set aside for the training program) to vet, arm and pay the 54 rebels trained to date. They were inserted into Syria in July, only to be killed, captured or scattered after they ran into the Nusra Front, Al Qaeda's Syrian affiliate.

Some of the rebels also went home for the end of Ramadan and never returned.

"It was some expensive kit we gave them -- dune buggies, M-16s, body armor, night vision goggles, helmets, boots," the official said, describing where some of the $41.8 million went.

The cost of the program -- and its meager results so far -- have lawmakers skeptical about authorizing it again.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09 ... tcmp=hpbt2

I'm guessing all that stuff made for some nice Ramadan gifts.

:think:
At Wednesday's Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., challenged the Pentagon's request for $600 million for more training next year.

"We're counting on our fingers and toes at this point," she said of the trained fighters.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., called it a "total failure."

The Pentagon had hoped to train 5,400 Syrian rebels in a year, and 12,000-15,000 over the next three years, but Austin admitted Wednesday the U.S. military would fall short.

"We certainly won't, at the pace we're going, reach the goal that we had initially established for ourselves," he told lawmakers.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What would be the cost to train and deploy US troops? Only Rand Paul was willing to leave ISIS alone. If the Republicans actually believed ISIS is an existential threat to the West, $500 million is well worth expanding the program. And $42 million worth the proof of concept.

In 1982, Congress authorized $19 million to fund the Contras in Nicaragua. That's $47 million in 2015 after inflation.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

Zarathud wrote:What would be the cost to train and deploy US troops? Only Rand Paul was willing to leave ISIS alone. If the Republicans actually believed ISIS is an existential threat to the West, $500 million is well worth expanding the program. And $42 million worth the proof of concept.

In 1982, Congress authorized $19 million to fund the Contras in Nicaragua. That's $47 million in 2015 after inflation.
In this case proof of shitty concept.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

As mentioned on a previous page, the shitty turnout is because the US priorities are not aligned with the majority of those we are trying to recruit for the program. Namely, that we want an anti-ISIS group, but the guys we are recruiting are only (or more) interested in fighting Assad.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Carpet_pissr wrote:As mentioned on a previous page, the shitty turnout is because the US priorities are not aligned with the majority of those we are trying to recruit for the program. Namely, that we want an anti-ISIS group, but the guys we are recruiting are only (or more) interested in fighting Assad.
Yea, like I said shitty concept.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Posts links to secret forum.

Badmouths the St. Reagan.

Only one answer -- the Chinese have hacked Rip's account!
Rip

Post by Rip »

一切一心識
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Rip wrote:As far as trap, who cares. When people don't fall into it they jump into it.

Did Hillary really tell Bill to "F-you"? That's awesome if true.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I might be awesome if she wasn't known to have a filthy mouth.

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2013/08/25 ... y-clinton/
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rip wrote:I might be awesome if she wasn't known to have a filthy mouth.

She's so unladylike.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How does that change how awesome it is?
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:

How does that change how awesome it is?
Because it is hard for something to be awesome when it is done dozens of times a day.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I guess. It's not like the Golden Gate bridge is any less awesome just because you drive across it every day to get to work.

I wonder how many times former presidents get told "fuck you" on a daily basis.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Another heritage site destroyed by ISIS.

Arch of Triumph in the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

History will ridicule and despise these guys.

I mean while it's a huge loss on paper for me and probably most of us in the west, it's not really a tangible one. But for their "own" people it's a huge, unrecoverable, and very tangible loss.

It's also a huge show of impotency, blowing up stones. Great job guys, I bet the rocks in Dumayr are scared shitless now. Your domination of 2,000 year old stone monuments is unparalleled. What crumbling stack of blocks could possible stand against you now?

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:History will ridicule and despise these guys.

I mean while it's a huge loss on paper for me and probably most of us in the west, it's not really a tangible one. But for their "own" people it's a huge, unrecoverable, and very tangible loss.

It's also a huge show of impotency, blowing up stones. Great job guys, I bet the rocks in Dumayr are scared shitless now. Your domination of 2,000 year old stone monuments is unparalleled. What crumbling stack of blocks could possible stand against you now?
They are despised now.

I feel the opposite about impotency though. When they can reach and destroy history that the whole world mourns, they and the whole world feel they are unstoppable. Because let's face it, we'd prefer they not blow up these stones, and no one is stopping them.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:

They are despised now.

I feel the opposite about impotency though. When they can reach and destroy history that the whole world mourns, they and the whole world feel they are unstoppable. Because let's face it, we'd prefer they not blow up these stones, and no one is stopping them.
As long as they are contained no one is really trying to stop them. And it's not because of their own strength as a deterrent, but because of the political mechanizations of actual nation-states with actual power. You're exactly right that they "feel they are unstoppable". They have to blow up stones to feel this way, rather than actually being unstoppable. If they blow up Mada'in Saleh, then we can start to talk about a show of power.

I'm not saying that it's not a big loss. I'm saying it's militarily ill-advised and culturally damaging to their "own" regions only. Inwardly, sure, it's them saying "We're so fucking awesome, we are untouchable!" Outwardly it's a bunch of short-term bluster.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

BTW, FWIW, I have a friend who is an Ivy League archeology professor specializing in Assyrian culture and history. He has led surveys in Syria, Iraq Iran, and Turkey, among other places. He's been to many of these sites and probably written journal articles on some of them. I'm sure this is an immeasurable loss for him and his colleagues and future generations. I don't mean to down play the significance of what we're losing here, even to the West. It's just that my view of the ISIS threat is unchanged as they blow up more and more sites. And I don't think we should be all that impressed when they do so.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm not saying that it's not a big loss. I'm saying it's militarily ill-advised and culturally damaging to their "own" regions only. Inwardly, sure, it's them saying "We're so fucking awesome, we are untouchable!" Outwardly it's a bunch of short-term bluster.
Yeah, but it's still depressing, and the loss is to humanity, not just the region. That said, stuff disappears all the time, it's just that we like to try to preserve the really old stuff, so while it's fairly normal to lose stuff, it still sucks.

And while I agree they mostly contained, the people in those regions are getting absolutely wrecked by these boogey men.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

An interesting essay on IS propoganda.

Fishing and ultraviolence
I’ve been researching propaganda issued by the so-called Islamic State for some time now - it’s part of my day job. On a normal day, I’m desensitised. I recognise that what's before me is abhorrent but I rarely experience the full horror of what I'm exposed to. However, on 4 July, one particular IS video caused my normal defence mechanisms to fail. A group of teenage boys was lined up with 25 allegedly pro-Assad soldiers kneeling in front of them. The boys were pointing guns at the back of the soldiers' heads. The stage for this chilling execution was Palmyra's Roman Theatre. As usual, I stopped the film before the act of killing itself.

I've grown used to IS ultraviolence, but this video was different. Different because, at my office desk, the place where I conduct all my research, I have a photograph of myself with my now-wife, dad and step-mum taken at that very same Palmyran theatre almost five years ago. At that time I was living in Syria, and they were some of the last people to visit me before I had to leave the country, which was rapidly descending into civil war.

Back then, I had no idea what was in store.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Syrian training program halted:
The Obama administration on Friday abandoned its effort to build a rebel force inside Syria to combat the Islamic State, acknowledging the failure of its $500 million campaign to train thousands of fighters and saying the remaining money would be used to provide lethal aid for groups already engaged in the battle.

Senior officials at the White House and the Pentagon said the strategy to pull fighters out of Syria, teach them advanced skills and return them to face the Islamic State had failed, in part because many of the rebel groups were more focused on a campaign against the Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad.

But officials said they were trying to adapt their strategy by seeking to identify the leaders of “capable, indigenous forces” in Syria who — after what the officials described as a vigorous vetting process — will for the first time be given military equipment to distribute to their forces engaged in fighting on the ground.
rip should be happy. Of course, the article makes no effort to discuss the actual amount spent, but trots out the $500M number.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

As I have said. They should have just sent money and weapons to the Kurds where it would actually reap benefits.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Iraqi air force says it hit convoy of ISIS chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
The Iraqi air force struck a convoy of Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in western Anbar province close to the Syrian border on Sunday, a military statement said.

The fate of the militant leader, who has declared himself the leader of a caliphate in areas his ultrahardline Sunni group controls in Iraq and Syria, is unknown, the military said. "Iraqi air forces have bombed the convoy of the terrorist Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi while he was heading to Karabla to attend a meeting with Daesh commanders," the statement read, using the Arabic acronym for Islamic State.

The military said the air force bombed a location where Baghdadi was planning to meet Islamic States commanders. "The location of the meeting was also bombed and many of the group's leaders were killed and wounded. Fate of murderer al-Baghdadi is unknown and he was carried away by a vehicle. His health condition is still unclear," the military said.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ex-soldier who volunteered with Kurdish forces killed by suicide bomber
Enlarge Image
The mother of John Gallagher, a Canadian who was killed while fighting against ISIS militants in Syria, says she would like him to be remembered as a passionate defender of human rights. "If people reading about him could take away that there are causes that are worth thinking about and that are worth engaging in," a tearful Valerie Carder told CBC News. "It's not just enough to sit back and go, 'I'm glad I was born in Canada. Being here, there's a responsibility, and if I believe that I should be willing to act on my beliefs.'"

"It's very numbing," Carder said, describing the feeling of having lost her son.

Carder said a journalist informed her Wednesday that her son had been killed and suggested she call the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights in London. The organization said Wednesday it was informed Gallagher died when an ISIS militant "detonated himself" during fighting in the al-Hool area of Syria. Carder said the person who answered her call "stated some facts from my son's passport, which matched up with birthplace and birthdate." She said her son believed "a lot of evils around the world have come out of religious fundamentalist attitudes, not merely Islamic, but fundamentalist Christians, fundamentalist anything. "It is fundamentalism that he thought got in the way of human rights, and it's a fight he chose to pursue," Carder said.

Carder, who spoke with her son last Friday, said she'll miss his conversations and his smile. "He's really funny, he's very insightful," she said, her voice breaking.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Russian plane crash: French 'rule out engine failure'
The Russian plane crash in Egypt last week was not due to technical failures, French aviation officials familiar with the investigation have told the BBC.

Other French officials said the flight data recorder suggested a "violent, sudden" explosion caused the crash, killing all 224 people on board.

Intercepted militant calls indicate a bomb was put in the hold before take-off, according to UK officials.

Militants linked to the Islamic State group (IS) say they downed the plane.

The Metrojet Airbus A321 was flying from Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg when it came down in Sinai last Saturday. Most of the victims were Russian.

The Sinai Province militants have not said how they downed the plane. IS has called for a war against both Russia and the US over their air strikes in Syria.

French air accident investigators cited by AFP news agency said the flight data recorder had shown that "everything was normal during the flight, absolutely normal, and suddenly there was nothing". A similar conclusion was drawn by another investigator speaking to France 2 television.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Investigators '90 percent sure' of bomb on crashed Russian plane
Investigators of the Russian plane crash in Egypt are "90 percent sure" the noise heard in the final second of a cockpit recording was an explosion caused by a bomb, a member of the investigation team told Reuters on Sunday.

The Airbus (AIR.PA) A321 crashed 23 minutes after taking off from the Sharm al-Sheikh tourist resort eight days ago, killing all 224 passengers and crew. Islamic State militants fighting Egyptian security forces in Sinai said they brought it down.

"The indications and analysis so far of the sound on the black box indicate it was a bomb," said the Egyptian investigation team member, who asked not to be named due to sensitivities. "We are 90 percent sure it was a bomb."

His comments reflect a higher degree of certainty about the cause of the crash than the investigation committee has so far declared in public.

Lead investigator Ayman al-Muqaddam announced on Saturday that the plane appeared to have broken up in mid-air while it was being flown on auto-pilot, and that a noise had been heard in the last second of the cockpit recording. But he said it was too soon to draw conclusions about why the plane crashed.

Confirmation that militants brought down the airliner could have a devastating impact on Egypt's lucrative tourist industry, which has suffered from years of political turmoil and was hit last week when Russia, Turkey and several European countries suspended flights to Sharm al-Sheikh and other destinations.

It could also mark a new strategy by the hardline Islamic State group which holds large parts of Syria and Iraq.

Asked to explain the remaining 10 percent margin of doubt, the investigator declined to elaborate, but Muqaddam cited other possibilities on Saturday including a fuel explosion, metal fatigue in the plane or lithium batteries overheating.

He said debris was scattered over a 13-km (8-mile) area "which is consistent with an in-flight break-up".

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I always wonder whether "sources familiar with the matter" are people who cannot keep their mouths shut, or are whatever agency is involved using unofficial channels to push a narrative/agenda.

Russian officials believe Sinai plane brought down by bomb: U.S. sources
Russian communications intercepted by U.S. intelligence agencies showed Russia believed the plane that crashed in Sinai, Egypt, on Oct. 31 was brought down by a bomb, U.S. sources familiar with the matter said on Monday. The intercepts are among pieces of evidence leading U.S. officials to suspect that a device planted on Metrojet Flight 9268 exploded shortly after the Airbus A321 took off from the resort city of Sharm al-Sheikh, the sources said.

All 224 passengers and crew were killed when the plane crashed in the desert on the way to St. Petersburg, Russia. Egypt and Russia have yet to formally announce the cause of the disaster. Both countries dismissed as premature U.S. and British assessments last week that a bomb likely was responsible. Foreign airlines canceled a wave of flights to Egypt's Red Sea resorts following the crash. After initially signaling normal air traffic would proceed, Russia late last week suspended passenger flights to Egypt. Over the weekend, Russia mounted an airlift to repatriate thousands of Russian vacationers who had been stranded in Sinai after regular flights were canceled. Within days of the crash, U.S. and British government sources were suggesting that intercepted communications chatter indicated that the plane had been brought down by a bomb.

The Islamic State's local affiliate, which calls itself the Sinai Province of Islamic State, claimed responsibility for the crash, and indicated it was in retaliation for Russia's military intervention in the Syrian civil war. The group has been fighting the Egyptian army in the Sinai, most of which is a closed military zone, in a conflict that human rights groups say has claimed thousands of civilian lives.

A U.S. government source said on Monday that neither Russia nor Egypt has accepted an offer from the FBI to assist them in investigating the crash. The FBI has offered "forensic assistance" and other unspecified services to both Russia and Egypt, FBI spokesman Joshua Campbell said.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The scary part to me is that they don't give a shit about history, or what we in the West think of their naughty behavior. They have one goal, and will apparently do anything to achieve it. It's not about us at all this time. Yay?
deucalion

Post by deucalion »

I am not sure what the correct path to dealing with a threat like ISIS but I sure wish that Canada would not pull out of the area and abrogate it's international responsibilities in this situation. I think it is kind of embarrassing that (as a Canadian) we are walking away from helping the US try and contain the situation in a combat role. Not that we were a big contributor but I think it is a good idea to support the US and international community in efforts like this as much as we can.

Anyway thanks to the US OO members that pay taxes and / or contribute otherwise to combating / addressing this terrible situation. Hope we contribute more again someday ourselves.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Don't worry, we'll pick up the tab for a bunch of refugees.

For the record, meeting our international obligations have been at an all time low during the last ten years.

THAT has been embarrassing.