ISIS

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Biyobi

Re: ISIS

Post by Biyobi »

Rip wrote:
President Barack Obama warned Russia on Friday against doubling down on sending support for Syrian President Bashar Assad, casting recent buildup of Russian military equipment and personnel in Syria in an effort to help prop up the embattled leader.

"The strategy they're pursuing right now of doubling down on Assad is a mistake," Obama said during a town hall with U.S. military personnel.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09 ... tcmp=hpbt1

Poor Putin must be literally quaking in his boots.

:roll:

No one takes Obama's warnings seriously. At this point everyone already knows it is just rhetoric with no teeth.
Think strategically instead of petulantly. At this point, Obama knows if he says "stop it" that Putin is sure as hell going to give him the finger and do it anyway. Putin will never allow himself the public shame of doing what the Americans demand he do. We don't want to go in with boots on the ground, but something really needs to be done about ISIS. Why not let them swing at each other for a while?

With the sanctions due to the Crimea and oil prices so low, Russia's economy is in a lot of pain and the expense of sending/maintaining this support to Assad will weigh heavily on them. Assad gears up and more ISIS troops start pumping in because they can't be seen to lose a country that's part of their name. Three groups we really don't want to go to war with are doing us the favor of grinding each other down while we denounce everybody, take in some refugees, and look like a good guy.

What would you change in this equation to make it better for the US?
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Biyobi wrote:
Rip wrote:
President Barack Obama warned Russia on Friday against doubling down on sending support for Syrian President Bashar Assad, casting recent buildup of Russian military equipment and personnel in Syria in an effort to help prop up the embattled leader.

"The strategy they're pursuing right now of doubling down on Assad is a mistake," Obama said during a town hall with U.S. military personnel.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09 ... tcmp=hpbt1

Poor Putin must be literally quaking in his boots.

:roll:

No one takes Obama's warnings seriously. At this point everyone already knows it is just rhetoric with no teeth.
Think strategically instead of petulantly. At this point, Obama knows if he says "stop it" that Putin is sure as hell going to give him the finger and do it anyway. Putin will never allow himself the public shame of doing what the Americans demand he do. We don't want to go in with boots on the ground, but something really needs to be done about ISIS. Why not let them swing at each other for a while?

With the sanctions due to the Crimea and oil prices so low, Russia's economy is in a lot of pain and the expense of sending/maintaining this support to Assad will weigh heavily on them. Assad gears up and more ISIS troops start pumping in because they can't be seen to lose a country that's part of their name. Three groups we really don't want to go to war with are doing us the favor of grinding each other down while we denounce everybody, take in some refugees, and look like a good guy.

What would you change in this equation to make it better for the US?

Stop taking in Syrian refugees.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote:
Drazzil wrote:And yet a lot of the people of the middle east are too cowardly or complicit to say or do anything against ISIS.
What would you do in their situation?
Well gee, if a whole convoy of ak wielding Islam enthusiasts rolled into my neighborhood I would like to think I would try and kill them any way I could, if at least to avoid the wrath of all the people trying to kill them myself. Or barring that then a phone call to the people trying to kill them would be nice, maybe a little "Hey this convoy of guys just rolled into town and are trying to impose sharia law... Mind coming to kill them for us?" But instead of that they waive the white flag, roll out the red carpet and or run, and where ever they go, trouble follows.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Drazzil wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Drazzil wrote:And yet a lot of the people of the middle east are too cowardly or complicit to say or do anything against ISIS.
What would you do in their situation?
Well gee, if a whole convoy of ak wielding Islam enthusiasts rolled into my neighborhood I would like to think I would try and kill them any way I could, if at least to avoid the wrath of all the people trying to kill them myself. Or barring that then a phone call to the people trying to kill them would be nice, maybe a little "Hey this convoy of guys just rolled into town and are trying to impose sharia law... Mind coming to kill them for us?" But instead of that they waive the white flag, roll out the red carpet and or run, and where ever they go, trouble follows.
That's damned easy for you to say from the comfort of your special chair. For many of these people, they've seen ISIS roll in and kill everyone that got in the way. Maybe you are actually the next incarnation of John Wayne but unless you want to saddle up and do something real, throwing stones at civilians in a war zone is pretty chicken shit.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote:Stop taking in Syrian refugees.
What, like the joke of ~1,500 we have taken in so far? Or the proposal to try and allow for more like maybe ~10,000 in the next year?

Or are you just feeling like we should turn our back on these people entirely? let others take them in? what is it?

putting that in context:
Some 450,000 refugees have arrived in Germany this year, and the pace picked up in the past week. The country is expecting at least 800,000 this year — the most in Europe
Drazzil, for a fella that will likely bank on the generosity and kindness of others in life (like most of us), you should be ashamed of your attitude.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote:
Well gee, if a whole convoy of ak wielding Islam enthusiasts rolled into my neighborhood I would like to think I would try and kill them any way I could
You've seen way too many Hollywood action films and have subsequently convinced yourself you're Chuck Norris. The reality is that you'd shit yourself and beg for mercy within 10 minutes of their arrival. Of that, I'm absolutely sure.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WOLVER-OHGODDON'THURTME!!!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
Well gee, if a whole convoy of ak wielding Islam enthusiasts rolled into my neighborhood I would like to think I would try and kill them any way I could
You've seen way too many Hollywood action films and have subsequently convinced yourself you're Chuck Norris. The reality is that you'd shit yourself and beg for mercy within 10 minutes of their arrival. Of that, I'm absolutely sure.
Killing them any way you can doesn't mean "going at them like Chuck Norris" It means talking whatever actions you can towards the end of killing them any way you can. But, yes. given the choice between going "all Chuck Norris" on a large group of jihadists" or "shitting myself and begging for mercy" I would prolly go with option 2, but so would you Hepcat.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote:
Drazzil wrote:Stop taking in Syrian refugees.
What, like the joke of ~1,500 we have taken in so far? Or the proposal to try and allow for more like maybe ~10,000 in the next year?

Or are you just feeling like we should turn our back on these people entirely? let others take them in? what is it?

putting that in context:
Some 450,000 refugees have arrived in Germany this year, and the pace picked up in the past week. The country is expecting at least 800,000 this year — the most in Europe
Drazzil, for a fella that will likely bank on the generosity and kindness of others in life (like most of us), you should be ashamed of your attitude.
Five'll get you ten that five or ten years down the road Germany will regret taking these people in. And yes, I am totally ashamed of my attitude, but I see no other alternative other then to force these people to confront their own problems.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just like the Chinese, Irish, Italians, et al. before them. :roll:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
Killing them any way you can doesn't mean "going at them like Chuck Norris" It means talking whatever actions you can towards the end of killing them any way you can. But, yes. given the choice between going "all Chuck Norris" on a large group of jihadists" or "shitting myself and begging for mercy" I would prolly go with option 2, but so would you Hepcat.
Yup, I thought it was implied that that would be the case.

And no, you most likely wouldn't go all Wolverines on them. As I said, the reality of such a situation is far from the heroic one depicted on the big screen. A rare few will fight. But unlike you, I don't condemn those who fear for their lives of their families and loved ones (and themselves) in a war zone. To do so is hypocritical and...to be blunt...a real dick move.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Well gee, if a whole convoy of ak wielding Islam enthusiasts rolled into my neighborhood I would like to think I would try and kill them any way I could, if at least to avoid the wrath of all the people trying to kill them myself. Or barring that then a phone call to the people trying to kill them would be nice, maybe a little "Hey this convoy of guys just rolled into town and are trying to impose sharia law... Mind coming to kill them for us?" But instead of that they waive the white flag, roll out the red carpet and or run, and where ever they go, trouble follows.
You can't kill them all and you can't call for help (no one will come help you). So your only choices are to resist and surely die, submit and maybe live, or run and maybe live. From a risk-reward standpoint most people will take door #3 for themselves and their family.

We in the rest of the world can turn this into an opportunity gained or an opportunity lost. And I'm not talking all peace and love and holding hands. I'm talking about a major hearts and minds propaganda win. And who knows, maybe create a free Syrian army in exile indoctrinated in Western culture.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
Yup, I thought it was implied that that would be the case.

And no, you most likely wouldn't go all Wolverines on them. As I said, the reality of such a situation is far from the heroic one depicted on the big screen. A rare few will fight. But unlike you, I don't condemn those who fear for their lives of their families and loved ones (and themselves) in a war zone. To do so is hypocritical and...to be blunt...a real dick move.
Dick move yes. But I am not convinced taking them in would be a better path. Wasn't the Boston Marathon massacre a refugee? What about that dude who attacked the naval base? Refugee right? Charlie Hedbo, some of those guys were refugees, I am not sure that the world is equipped to take all these refugees in. And refugees don't have the best track record right now.

Although I do like Lawbeefs idea of using the refugees to form the westernized core of a pro US Syria.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Drazzil wrote: Well gee, if a whole convoy of ak wielding Islam enthusiasts rolled into my neighborhood I would like to think I would try and kill them any way I could, if at least to avoid the wrath of all the people trying to kill them myself. Or barring that then a phone call to the people trying to kill them would be nice, maybe a little "Hey this convoy of guys just rolled into town and are trying to impose sharia law... Mind coming to kill them for us?" But instead of that they waive the white flag, roll out the red carpet and or run, and where ever they go, trouble follows.
You can't kill them all and you can't call for help (no one will come help you). So your only choices are to resist and surely die, submit and maybe live, or run and maybe live. From a risk-reward standpoint most people will take door #3 for themselves and their family.

We in the rest of the world can turn this into an opportunity gained or an opportunity lost. And I'm not talking all peace and love and holding hands. I'm talking about a major hearts and minds propaganda win. And who knows, maybe create a free Syrian army in exile indoctrinated in Western culture.
Yea, we have done the hearts and minds propaganda win, it didn't turn out so well. It seems the hearts and minds don't stay won for long.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote: Wasn't the Boston Marathon massacre a refugee? What about that dude who attacked the naval base? Refugee right? Charlie Hedbo, some of those guys were refugees, I am not sure that the world is equipped to take all these refugees in. And refugees don't have the best track record right now.
Charles Manson was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. James Ruppert was from Hamilton, Ohio. Anthony Sowell? Ohio! Jeffrey Dahmer wasn't born in Ohio...but he lived there for a while.

I'm not sure the world is equipped to handle Ohio.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:I'm not sure the world is equipped to handle Ohio.
As seen elsewhere -- 24 astronauts have come from Ohio. What is it about Ohio that motivates so many people to leave the planet?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If we use Drazzil logic, they're obviously leaving Earth in search of new life forms to kill.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The difference between Rip and Drazzil is that Rip knows he's trolling, while Drazzil seems to believe the nonsense he writes down. I can't believe you guys even bothered to address the "here's a couple of immigrants who did bad things, so...Q.E.D."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote:The difference between Rip and Drazzil is that Rip knows he's trolling, while Drazzil seems to believe the nonsense he writes down. I can't believe you guys even bothered to address the "here's a couple of immigrants who did bad things, so...Q.E.D."
To be fair, I ALMOST did. Sooo tempting. Sooo easy.

Like someone putting a big slab of chocolate ice cream cake on a plate with a string tied to it. I KNOW it's a trap, dammit...but that cake....it's WORTH it! It's ice cream cake! And is that dark chocolate ganache on the outside?! *faint*
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can I hear a little more about this trap? This...delicious...delicious trap?
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote:[Like someone putting a big slab of chocolate ice cream cake on a plate with a string tied to it.
What kind of frosting? If it's creamy frosting, I'll pass, but if it's that solid chocolate frosting that's almost like cutting into a sort of thin chocolate candy bar then I'm in. I can just use the string to floss with, right?
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: What kind of frosting? If it's creamy frosting, I'll pass, but if it's that solid chocolate frosting that's almost like cutting into a sort of thin chocolate candy bar then I'm in. I can just use the string to floss with, right?
What about a cream cheese based frosting? I recently tried a cake with that and it was amazing. I could see myself falling for that trap.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:[Like someone putting a big slab of chocolate ice cream cake on a plate with a string tied to it.
What kind of frosting? If it's creamy frosting, I'll pass, but if it's that solid chocolate frosting that's almost like cutting into a sort of thin chocolate candy bar then I'm in. I can just use the string to floss with, right?
Rip

Post by Rip »

As far as trap, who cares. When people don't fall into it they jump into it.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Stop spamming irrelevant Hillary shit in every single thread. It's getting old.

Enlarge Image
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can we get back to a cake based discussion...please.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Stop spamming irrelevant Hillary shit in every single thread. It's getting old.
ARRgggghhh! Will the traps never cease?! Must..resist...old people...funny...cause they're old...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Stop spamming irrelevant Hillary shit in every single thread. It's getting old.

Enlarge Image
Reported ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I agree. To get back on topic, the real question is what would Tom Brady do about ISIS? I bet he could easily deflate their regime.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Image
In! I don't know what kind of cake that is but I think it's the exact one I've been waiting for.

I don't know if I've ever had cream cheese based frosting. I'm intrigued.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: Enlarge Image
In! I don't know what kind of cake that is but I think it's the exact one I've been waiting for.

I don't know if I've ever had cream cheese based frosting. I'm intrigued.
Frozen Mocha Cake with Chocolate Ganache Glaze
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So it's a cake that eats like pie/ice/mouse cream? Sign me up!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Enlarge Image
It isn't irrelevant. I didn't turn the discussion to traps and cake.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Lies. All lies.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:

Enlarge Image
It isn't irrelevant. I didn't turn the discussion to traps and cake.
We're not playing six-degrees of separation here.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That should either be a groom's cake, or have a cake made out of red velvet or something.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Here's a nice slice of boring old IS information...

Islamic State and chemical weapons use
Enlarge Image
There has been no official response from the Islamic State group (IS) to US claims that it has used chemical weapons in Syria and Iraq. However, there have been signs that IS and its supporters would not shy away from their use. A month ago, online supporters of the group boasted of an attack against Kurdish forces near the Tigris river in northern Iraq, saying they had used an unspecified chemical weapon. They said 40 mortar rounds had been used to deliver the weapons targeting Kurdish Peshmerga fighters in the village of Tall Rim on 11 August. The next day, IS officially acknowledged firing mortars in the area and published photographs showing the rounds being fired, apparently illustrating the same attack, but it did not mention chemical weapons.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Prestigious" Australian ISIS agitator is actually an American troll in Florida.
A young Jewish American man has been charged with pretending to be an Australian-based Islamic State jihadist after a FBI joint investigation with the Australian Federal Police based on information provided by Fairfax Media.

Joshua Ryne Goldberg, a 20-year old living at his parents' house in US state of Florida, is accused of posing online as "Australi Witness," an IS supporter who publicly called for a series of attacks against individuals and events in western countries.

In recent days Australi Witness has claimed online that he is working with other jihadists to plan attacks in Australia and the United States. He distributed pictures of a bomb that he was working on with "2 lbs of explosives inside".

Australi Witness's online actions might have had fatal real-world consequences in May.

In the leadup to an exhibition in Garland, Texas, at which pictures of the Prophet Mohammed were to be displayed, "Australi Witness" tweeted the event's address and reposted a tweet urging people to go there with "weapons, bombs or with knifes".

Two Muslim men attempted an attack at the exhibition, and were killed by police. Australi Witness then praised them online as martyrs.

He allegedly instructed someone how to fill the bomb with nails, metal and other items dipped in rat poison.

Police base the charge on his communication of five web links to sites that provided instructions that could be used to make explosives as part of a plot to explode a bomb on September 13 at a memorial ceremony in Kansas City, commemorating the 9/11 the terrorist attacks.

The affidavit, released by Special agent William Berry of US Customs and Border Protection, says that Goldberg had initially denied to officers that he had any involvement with distributing information on how to make a bomb, but then later admitted it.

"Goldberg further admitted that he believed the information would create a genuine bomb," Agent Berry alleged.

However, Goldberg also claimed that he meant for the person he was communicating with to either kill himself creating the bomb or, that Goldberg intended to warn police in time so that he would receive "credit for stopping the attack".

MYT