Netanyahu address to Congress

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zekester

Netanyahu address to Congress

Post by Zekester »

Pretty substantial event today, and no comments here yet?

Kudos to him, Republicans, and most Democrats there. For the Democrats that "boycotted"....shame on you.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
hepcat

Re: Netanyahu address to Congress

Post by hepcat »

I hope Netanyahu's blatantly obvious campaign stunt backfires on him in the near future.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't really have a full perspective on this. Is there a history of foreign leaders coming to the U.S. and address the public regarding international policy without being directly invited by the sitting President?

Politically, it just seems like...not such a great idea - and that's not even taking into consideration the elections that will be occurring in Israel in two weeks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When even Fox News says it's a bad idea, you know something's amiss.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote:I don't really have a full perspective on this. Is there a history of foreign leaders coming to the U.S. and address the public regarding international policy without being directly invited by the sitting President?
Not really. While tons of foreign leaders address congress, they traditionally do it through the White House. In this case the White House would have refused because it is too close to the foreign local election and they don't want to be seen as endorsing a candidate currently running for office.

It was a deliberate snub to Obama by Boehner and Bibi.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There is in fact zero precedent for Congress inviting a foreign leader to speak without even notifying the White House first. The fact that Netanyahu is there to speak against a foreign policy agreement that the White House is currently in the process of negotiating compounds the foreign policy issues involved.

That's why, in addition to Fox News, other Iran lovers like a group of 180 Israeli former generals and top security officials were also opposed to the speech.
Black Lives Matter.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

...except that there is a true concern for the safety of Israel, and the U.S. I am glad that our Congress takes an Iranian threat seriously, even if our administration doesn't.

The only political stunt here was that of the "boycotting" scum, I mean Democrats.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Yes, let's oppose a speech concerning National security threats....threats from a regime who openly makes such threats.

Let's also oppose the 1st Amendment....and snuff all speech that we dont agree with.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

hepcat wrote:I hope Netanyahu's blatantly obvious campaign stunt backfires on him in the near future.
For someone who lectures me about being racist and homophobic, you sure sound Anti-Semitic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

You're not quite sure what anti-semitic means, are you?
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

hepcat wrote::lol:
can't talk about it without being an asshat?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Israel is a nation, by the way.
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

hepcat wrote::lol:

You're not quite sure what anti-semitic means, are you?
I dont give an F what the right words are.

You preach anti-racism and anti-gay to me and others, yet you're intolerant of Jews and Conservatives.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So every time the citizens of Israel vote against a prime minister during elections, they're anti-semitic?

Also, conservative isn't a race. But the Grand Prix is.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

hepcat wrote:So every time the citizens of Israel vote against a prime minister during elections, they're anti-semitic?
by you're own words on this forum, if I and other Conservatives bash Obama we're all racists.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have no problem with questioning his policies. It's when the tea party nuts start holding up blatantly racist signs during rallies, or start questioning his birth certificate with no reason that things get racist.

Normally folks just tell you you're wrong...then prove it.
Zekester wrote: You preach anti-racism and anti-gay to me and others
I'm hardly the only one. :wink:
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

hepcat wrote:I have no problem with questioning his policies. It's when the tea party nuts starting holding up blatantly racist signs during rallies, or start questioning his birth certificate with no reason that things get racist.
You're not pulling me in to side issues this time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

This has the potential to be a great thread.
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Obama himself just said it's important to not make this a political issue......so stick that in your pipe and suck on it, hep :lol:
Last edited by Zekester on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Good speech not that it will change anything. At least he did all he could to persuade us that opening the door for Iran to have a weapon in ten years is a mistake.

Nothing left for him to do now except prepare his forces to handle it themselves. I only wish I was of an age I could go contribute. They are going to need all the help they can get.

I look forward to revisiting this thread in 6-10 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zekester wrote:Obama himself just said it's important to not make this a political issue......so stick that in your pipe and suck on it :lol:
I'm not even sure what this means, but please continue to contribute! I absolutely love it when you go off on a rant.
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Rip wrote:Good speech not that it will change anything. At least he did all he could to persuade us that opening the door for Iran to have a weapon in ten years is a mistake.

Nothing left for him to do now except prepare his forces to handle it themselves. I only wish I was of an age I could go contribute. They are going to need all the help they can get.

I look forward to revisiting this thread in 6-10 years.
Would be quite the event if an Arab nation joins Israel's fight.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:pop:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zekester wrote:Let's also oppose the 1st Amendment....and snuff all speech that we dont agree with.
Who was arrested? What law was passed?
Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;
No one is owed a venue or an audience. Or should the House Majority Whip have committed false imprisonment to make them view the speech?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I swear to God Issie, if you scare him off again, I'm going to give you a very verbal dressing down at Gencon this year!
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No snowflake considers themselves responsible for the avalanche.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote::pop:
I object to that post. You can't use the sitting back eating popcorn smiley when you are the run involved in the "debate", shame on you Hep.

Now if you'll excuse me I don't want to get involved: :pop:
FTE
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zekester wrote:Pretty substantial event today, and no comments here yet?

Kudos to him
How anti-American of you. ;)

-because it's fun to paint the right wing with the anti-american colors they are so fond of splashing about every once in awhile (not picking on you in particular here, just a general statement directed at Guiliani, etc - those who hate Obama more than they love America.

On a more serious note - here's the best write-up I've seen of this foo-foo-raw:
Why is Benjamin Netanyahu going ahead with his speech to Congress in a few hours' time, despite complaints from all quarters about the damage it is causing? It's a trickier question than it seems...

...Maybe I am giving Netanyahu too much credit. Maybe he genuinely believes everything listed above—that he's been right all along, that we need to hear his message, that Obama and his administration will take no offense, and that this is a life-or-death existential issue because of a suicidal Iranian leadership.

Maybe. But I think he is smarter than any of that. And thus the explanation that rings truest to me is one offered in The National Interest by Paul Pillar, a veteran of the CIA...

...The prime objective that Netanyahu is pursuing, and that is quite consistent with his lobbying and other behavior, is not the prevention of an Iranian nuclear weapon but instead the prevention of any agreement with Iran. It is not the specific terms of an agreement that are most important to him, but instead whether there is to be any agreement at all...

...This is the heart of Israel's problem. ... Israel does not want to be considered by the United States as one power among many. It is focused on the issue of a nuclear Iran, but it knows that there is no certainty that Iran's nuclear facilities can be destroyed or that sanctions will cause the Iranians to abandon the nuclear program. What Israel fears is an entente between the United States and Iran and a system of relations in which U.S. support will not be automatic.
Which is at least thought provoking (though the idea that we'd ever have closer relationships with Iran than Israel is rather ludicrous to me), rather than the jingoistic flag-waving going on.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote:
hepcat wrote::pop:
I object to that post. You can't use the sitting back eating popcorn smiley when you are the run involved in the "debate", shame on you Hep.

Now if you'll excuse me I don't want to get involved: :pop:
Would you like some salt? Also...quiet! The show's starting!
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

No one is owed a venue or an audience.
Including you. So how does that sit with you?

And, like I said in a different thread, it's not an issue of it being "owed"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote:There is in fact zero precedent for Congress inviting a foreign leader to speak without even notifying the White House first.
That's what I sort of figured, but I don't really have a great depth of historical knowledge for these types of things. If there was a historical precedent, well that's something. But it immediately struck me as something done in defiance and as a demonstration of perceived power/authority. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something I hadn't considered. I have to believe this is a new all-time low for Congress.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Smoove_B wrote:
El Guapo wrote:There is in fact zero precedent for Congress inviting a foreign leader to speak without even notifying the White House first.
That's what I sort of figured, but I don't really have a great depth of historical knowledge for these types of things. If there was a historical precedent, well that's something. But it immediately struck me as something done in defiance and as a demonstration of perceived power/authority. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something I hadn't considered. I have to believe this is a new all-time low for Congress.
funny how 2 views can vary so much......I see it as an all-time high for Congress.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zekester wrote:
No one is owed a venue or an audience.
Including you. So how does that sit with you?

And, like I said in a different thread, it's not an issue of it being "owed"
I have not one whit of an issue with it.
Zekester wrote:its not a matter of being owed a venue. no one is being forced to endure it. you dont like it, you have choices to avoid it. key word being choice here.
And those that chose not to attend chose to not endure it. They avoided it. They had that choice.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Interestingly Bibi didn't call for war, he just doesn't want peace.

Given Iran and its massively bloody state sponsored terrorism, I don't really blame him.
Last edited by Jag on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

And those that chose not to attend chose to not endure it. They avoided it. They had that choice.
Correct. But some of them had said, both before and after, that he shouldn't be allowed to do it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zekester wrote:
Correct. But some of them had said, both before and after, that he shouldn't be allowed to do it.
And we all know that everything that Congressmen say is fully correct within the law and Congressional rules, right?

Can you give me an example of "shouldn't be allowed to"? I can find shouldn't have offered / shouldn't have accepted, but that's a far cry from "shouldn't have been allowed to".
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zekester wrote:Correct. But some of them had said, both before and after, that he shouldn't be allowed to do it.
"Allowed" is such a funny word. I think people are suggesting maybe it's not appropriate or that it seems like a political power play. This isn't a tipping thread or what you're obligated to do on the highway during a merge. We're talking about heads of state and international policy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I figure one more logical argument ought to convince Zekester. Two at the most.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sssshhhhh! And if you're the one with the cell phone, turn that damn thing off! It's distracting to the rest of us in this theater!
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

So about the "boycotters" today.....did they do it because they're anti-Israel-pro-Iran, or did they do it to support the President? Which would then make Obama anti-Israel-pro-Iran?