The Hillary Clinton thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: The Hillary Clinton thread

Post by hepcat »

Rip hates that Hillary Clinton and her unbridled sexuality, seductive curves and full lips! At least that's what his "I Hate That Hillary Makes Me Feel This Way!" page states.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

I can easily come up with better, just not as funny.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/publishin ... cle/795079
In an email this evening, a veteran publishing source calls the latest Hillary Clinton book, Hard Choices, a memoir of her State Department years, a “bomb.” The source is referring to the early but underwhelming sales figures.

“Between us, they are nervous at S&S [Simon & Schuster],” says the source, who gave permission for his email to be published. “Sales were well below expectations and the media was a disaster.”

According to this source, a Simon & Schuster insider, “They sold 60,000 hard covers first week and 24,000 ebooks.” The publishing house was “hoping and praying for 150,000 print first week.”

“The 60k represents a less than 10% sell thru based on what they shipped,” says the source.

It’s been reported that one million copies of Clinton’s book were shipped weeks before the June 10 publication date. “They will be lucky to sell 150,000 total lifetime,” the source writes in the email.

Hillary reportedly received a near-$14 million advance, a sum the publishing house will unlikely make back.

“It’s a bomb but it will be interesting to see how they spin it.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Nah, still disappointing - that's still basically "low ratings". Her election supposedly threatened the future viability of America! You have to do better than this.
Black Lives Matter.
Andrew Wonser

Post by Andrew Wonser »

Wait.. is it ok to use anonymous sources now? I thought that was considered fake news.
Ah, so he has retractable metal claws that punch through his flesh, just like a real wolverine.
Right, just like a real wolverine.
Ah, and his metal retractable claws can easily cut through hardened steel, just like a real wolverine.
Just like a real one, exactly.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Andrew Wonser wrote:Wait.. is it ok to use anonymous sources now? I thought that was considered fake news.
Apparently not since Trump was elected, now anonymous sources are enough to launch special counsel investigations these days.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Andrew Wonser wrote:Wait.. is it ok to use anonymous sources now? I thought that was considered fake news.
If you're Trump, they're great when they praise you, fake news when they don't.
Rip wrote:I can easily come up with better, just not as funny.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/publishin ... cle/795079
<Rip doing the internet equivalent of pulling on the ponytail of a girl he likes.>
Sheesh, you and Hil should just stop this Sam and Diane schtick and get on with it.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Since Rip is slacking I will post this here:

FBI denies FOI request regarding Hillary's emails because of a lack of public interest.

How is public interest measured in a case like this?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rip

Post by Rip »

Moliere wrote:Since Rip is slacking I will post this here:

FBI denies FOI request regarding Hillary's emails because of a lack of public interest.

It is measured in how bad it makes Hillary look. If it will don't release it, otherwise the public has an interest.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Apparently the FBI knew about Hillary's book sales. :)

Can't be bothered by pardons (of a Republican) but e-mails are something REALLY important? Sigh.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's worth pointing out that Trump has had like a dozen campaign emails released, and *every one of them* is worse than anything in the Clinton/Podesta/DNC dumps of thousands.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It would probably take a lawspeaker to make real sense of this, but one passage caught my eye:
Some public interest factors are properly taken into consideration and accorded great weight. For example, the courts have found the public interest in disclosure to be strong when requested information would inform the public about proven violations of public trust. See, e.g., Columbia Packing Co., Inc. v. Department of Agriculture, 563 F.2d 495, 499 (1st Cir. 1977) (federal employees found guilty of accepting bribes); Congressional News Syndicate v. Department of Justice, 438 F. Supp, 538, 544 (D.D.C. 1977) (misconduct by White House staffers). As one court has observed, there is an "obvious public interest in a full and thorough airing of . . . serious abuses that did in fact occur, in the hope that such abuses will not occur in the future." Tax Reform Research Group v. IRS, 419 F. Supp. 415, 418 (D.D.C. 1976).
That implies that nothing in the files supports any contention that Clinton committed anything along the line of "proven violations of public trust", if nothing else.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote:

It would probably take a lawspeaker to make real sense of this, but one passage caught my eye:
Some public interest factors are properly taken into consideration and accorded great weight. For example, the courts have found the public interest in disclosure to be strong when requested information would inform the public about proven violations of public trust. See, e.g., Columbia Packing Co., Inc. v. Department of Agriculture, 563 F.2d 495, 499 (1st Cir. 1977) (federal employees found guilty of accepting bribes); Congressional News Syndicate v. Department of Justice, 438 F. Supp, 538, 544 (D.D.C. 1977) (misconduct by White House staffers). As one court has observed, there is an "obvious public interest in a full and thorough airing of . . . serious abuses that did in fact occur, in the hope that such abuses will not occur in the future." Tax Reform Research Group v. IRS, 419 F. Supp. 415, 418 (D.D.C. 1976).
That implies that nothing in the files supports any contention that Clinton committed anything along the line of "proven violations of public trust", if nothing else.
Which is pretty much what the conclusion of all the GOP Benghazi! witch hunt investigations as well as the FBI investigation were.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Holman wrote:It's worth pointing out that Trump has had like a dozen campaign emails released, and *every one of them* is worse than anything in the Clinton/Podesta/DNC dumps of thousands.
I like the juxtaposition.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hillary blaming Sanders for offering even more free stuff to get votes.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

She's actually spot-on.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Yeah, I remember that pony meme, and it was spot on. During the primary, whereas Clinton came up with concrete (and dull) plans for how to accomplish things, Sanders was, meanwhile, pissing all over the Obama administrations very hard-fought accomplishments.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Hillary blaming Sanders for offering even more free stuff to get votes.
Worked for Trump - his whole schtick is essentially affirmative action for whites.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

People buy the bullshit, impossible promises politicians make during campaign runs? Imagine if strategists figured that out!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

...and?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote:...and?
BENGHAZI!
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You have a sitting president willing to cause economic harm to American companies because their CEO resigns from one of his councils, but Clinton is all about settling scores.

Fuck off.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hillary's next book will explain why her book "What Happened" failed.
Saying it would provide a candid account of her experiences writing an unsuccessful tell-all, sources confirmed Thursday that Hillary Clinton is already working on a follow-up book casting blame for the failures of her previous memoir What Happened. “From my agent negotiating that underwhelming deal with Simon & Schuster, to the graphic designer’s lackluster cover art, to my so-called supporters who couldn’t be bothered to drop $17.99 for the hardcover copy—everyone had a hand in undermining my last book’s success,” reads a passage from the introduction to Clinton’s What Also Happened, which repeatedly decries her prior book’s “indecipherable” font and dedicates an entire chapter to lashing out at her copy editor for making her look like “an idiot third-grader.”
Holman

Post by Holman »

Given how weird, contentious, and culturally significant the 2016 election was, it's crazy that people think there's something wrong in Clinton telling her side of it. The attacks on her for writing a book are part of the same pattern that keeps Sean Hannity harping on her emails even today. And never mind, of course, that .1% of the people complaining about the book have actually opened it.

Meanwhile, I can think of someone prominent who complains, brags, or tweets about the 2016 election pretty much every day.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What Happened!?
Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:Given how weird, contentious, and culturally significant the 2016 election was, it's crazy that people think there's something wrong in Clinton telling her side of it. The attacks on her for writing a book are part of the same pattern that keeps Sean Hannity harping on her emails even today. And never mind, of course, that .1% of the people complaining about the book have actually opened it.

Meanwhile, I can think of someone prominent who complains, brags, or tweets about the 2016 election pretty much every day.
It's an interesting thought experiment to consider - is there anything Clinton could say publicly that would not be widely attacked?
Black Lives Matter.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Holman wrote:And never mind, of course, that .1% of the people complaining about the book have actually opened one.
Mortoned.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote:Given how weird, contentious, and culturally significant the 2016 election was, it's crazy that people think there's something wrong in Clinton telling her side of it. The attacks on her for writing a book are part of the same pattern that keeps Sean Hannity harping on her emails even today. And never mind, of course, that .1% of the people complaining about the book have actually opened it.

Can you even begin to imagine the book that Trump would have released had he lost? My God, the amount of thrashing and flailing about in an effort to blame everyone but himself would have been epic. I can't wait for his ass to get bounced in 2020 so that book comes to fruition. :wub:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

It won't be a book. It will be a weeks-long tweetstorm that doesn't end until he accidentally-on-purpose declares that he has a Vladimir Putin tattoo on his butt because Vlad is "Way way better than Sad President Pocahontus Warren who is also a girl."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:

Can you even begin to imagine the book that Trump would have released had he lost? My God, the amount of thrashing and flailing about in an effort to blame everyone but himself would have been epic. I can't wait for his ass to get bounced in 2020 2018 so that book comes to fruition. :wub:
[fingers crossed]
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apologies to Hillary supporters, but some of the fake excerpts of her book are pretty funny.. :lol:
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

How archaic to care about things like how a policy would actually work and its practical feasibility.

That said, man, I do wish she had run on that. It's both a progressive policy and one that actually has a lot of academic support, including from non-partisan center-right scholars.

Although I think that would have been pretty easy for Trump to politicize / racialize as a giveaway from hardworking white folk to lazy minorities.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Obama is the anti-christ because only rich people should expect to live, but somehow the right is on-board with free money for everyone?

Also, minimum wage is bad, but we'll just take your money and give it away works?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote:Obama is the anti-christ because only rich people should expect to live, but somehow the right is on-board with free money for everyone?

Also, minimum wage is bad, but we'll just take your money and give it away works?
Why Milton Friedman Supported a Guaranteed Income (5 Reasons).

The Conservative Case for a Guaranteed Basic Income.

The Libertarian Case for a Basic Income.

A Guaranteed Income for Every American (WSJ op-ed).

I could go on.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Until I see Rush's name in there, I think you're missing the point.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I understand that politics being what it is, a soon as Clinton (or any other democratic nominee) adopted the idea, it would immediately become the End of America as far as the GOP establishment is concerned. But that's true for literally any policy, so it's irrelevant to which policies a candidate chooses to adopt.

But, that it has a some support in bipartisan sources has some value during a campaign, in forming those all important bullet points. Having one bullet point being "Guaranteed Basic Income for all Americans" is a solid bullet point help with progressives. "Supported by left and right wing scholars for decades, including Milton Freedman" is helpful to avoid the fear that this is some crazy scheme. The goal being to win your base and enough shaky centrists on the center-right to get you over the 51% voting threshold.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

GreenGoo wrote:Until I see Rush's name in there, I think you're missing the point.
I'm totally missing your point. Could you spell it out for me?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

ImLawBoy wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Until I see Rush's name in there, I think you're missing the point.
I'm totally missing your point. Could you spell it out for me?
Hillary is a big fan of their Tom Sawyer song. And Mark Twain advocated for Guaranteed Basic Income. Do you see the connection now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What is her position on Fortunate Son? Scathing takedown of American society, or patriotic anthem worthy of a Wrangler commercial?
It's almost as if people are the problem.