The impact of $15 minimum wage

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

theohall

The impact of $15 minimum wage

Post by theohall »

Lost jobs, closing businesses, lost benefits.

Enjoy Seattle

Minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage. Current government entities thinking it was need to re-look at the economics of America and why the minimum wage was created.

Of course, hiking minimum wage creates more unemployed which grows the welfare state - and supposedly more democratic voters reliant upon that welfare.

Sorry for Seattle folks missing their restaurants. Sorry for Seattle employees now having to pay their own health care costs, own parking, bring their own lunch, fund their own retirement plan, and make less due to fewer tips because of the higher wage (the higher minimum wage is resulting in less actual earnings due to the reduction in tips). You get what you vote for.
Moliere

Re: The impact of $15 minimum wage

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
theohall

Post by theohall »

Moliere wrote:yeah
Sorry Moliere. I searched on Minimum Wage Seattle and that thread didn't turn up.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

theohall wrote:
Moliere wrote:yeah
Sorry Moliere. I searched on Minimum Wage Seattle and that thread didn't turn up.
More importantly please read the thread moliere linked to. Your link is a lie, as explained by the restauranteurs themselves who's restaurants were referenced as closing due to minimum wage increases. I don't mean a false representation, I mean an actual lie, full on, no truth to it, said for political purposes with no regard to actual facts, lie.

Talk about dishonest (not you theo) propaganda.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
Hiking the U.S. minimum wage to $15 per hour would give millions of Americans a raise but put a smaller share of people out of work, according to projections released Monday.

Raising the pay floor to $15 per hour by 2025 would boost wages for 17 million workers, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated. At the same time, 1.3 million people would lose jobs, according to the CBO projections.
* 17 million U.S. workers who would otherwise make less than $15 would get a raise. Another 10 million Americans “otherwise earning slightly more” than $15 an hour may also see a wage hike, according to the CBO.

* The pay increases would take the annual income of 1.3 million people above the poverty level.
* The wage increases would cause total real family income — adjusted for inflation — to fall by 0.1%.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Wow, I'd forgotten about theohall.

Lol... remember that time em2 got lumped in with the leftists?

https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... 0#p2254843
malchior

Post by malchior »

This bill is a bad idea (blanket increases without regard to localized costs) but it has no chance of implementation.

I give credit to CBO for always crunching the numbers for these dopey bills but I wouldn't read much into this analysis. Even the big cities that make this a mark are phasing it in over several years.

FWIW here is a wonk thread that argues the CBO estimates are too pessimistic and they have a model with 5 and 7 year estimates that think it would not be as bad.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Prevailing wages are already around $15 in major cities, and the minimum is well above $7.25 in most (all?) blue states.

Let the red states have their capitalist paradise with starvation wages, no health insurance, poor education, minimal services, a rudimentary safety net, and sketchy rights for women and minorities. America gets its own domestic China, and they get all the guns they want. Everybody wins! :wink:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:04 pm
Let the red states have their capitalist paradise with starvation wages, no health insurance, poor education, minimal services, a rudimentary safety net, and sketchy rights for women and minorities. America gets its own domestic China, and they get all the guns they want. Everybody wins! :wink:
Ahem.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm Wow, I'd forgotten about theohall.

Good lord, what an epic meltdown. I forgot about that guy. Now I remember why.
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm Wow, I'd forgotten about theohall.

Good lord, what an epic meltdown. I forgot about that guy. Now I remember why.
Ditto.