Go Bernie!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Re: Go Bernie!

Post by hitbyambulance »

i do not identify with the "Democratic" party, but I think of all the "D" candidates, Sanders really is the closest to where I am politically (and naturally - because of the ridiculous two party system of this country - Sanders is only in the "D" camp for eligibility purposes.) but i'm still thinking Warren is the best choice.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:34 am i do not identify with the "Democratic" party, but I think of all the "D" candidates, Sanders really is the closest to where I am politically (and naturally - because of the ridiculous two party system of this country - Sanders is only in the "D" camp for eligibility purposes.) but i'm still thinking Warren is the best choice.
Did any other Bernie supporters get the political survey?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bernie says legal pot so he is ok by me. The country fusses about opiates but gives us no working alternatives.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

He should just hire Trump's doctor.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Who cares if he’s not healthy.
If he’s elected and dies in office it’s not like Earth falls into the sun. His perfectly capable Vice President would take over.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:47 pm Who cares if he’s not healthy.
If he’s elected and dies in office it’s not like Earth falls into the sun. His perfectly capable Vice President would take over.
You don't think Trump or the GOP will latch on to this like he did with Hillary Clinton's health issues during 2016?
Hodor.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:47 pm Who cares if he’s not healthy.
I care if he's not healthy. The job that he's applying for is stressful and can take a toll on anyone, let alone a 78-year-old who recently had a heart attack. He doesn't have to keel over for his health to negatively impact his Presidency; there can be impairment of capacity and judgment well before then.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Working for a hospital, I'm more sympathetic to people not wanting to release their medical records. Medical information is one of the most protected, private pieces of data an individual has. There's a reason we have HIPAA laws and regulations that can cost hospitals millions if they are violated.

As valuable as I think the information is, I think Bernie has every right not to release it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 pm Working for a hospital, I'm more sympathetic to people not wanting to release their medical records. Medical information is one of the most protected, private pieces of data an individual has. There's a reason we have HIPAA laws and regulations that can cost hospitals millions if they are violated.

As valuable as I think the information is, I think Bernie has every right not to release it.
I don't think that anyone disputes his right not to release it. It's more about how pre-Trump there was a norm that a candidate would release their physical results, because the nation has an interest in the long-term health of the president. With Bernie those concerns are obviously elevated at least somewhat.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Honestly if Bernie is the nominee and he has someone younger and more moderate as a VP, I'm not entirely against him being 78 with heart issues. :ninja:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In Bernie's case, it's also the hypocrisy of him saying the American people have a right to full disclosure about the health of someone running for president, while thinking that releasing a couple of letters counts as "full disclosure".
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:08 pm Honestly if Bernie is the nominee and he has someone younger and more moderate as a VP, I'm not entirely against him being 78 with heart issues. :ninja:
Exactly.

This is exactly what I said.

Ninja
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Well, I guess if they're going for sowing division and confusion, this is on-brand for Russia:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Dogstar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 pm Well, I guess if they're going for sowing division and confusion, this is on-brand for Russia:
Or our own administration. Who are these "US Officials?"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Dogstar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 pm Well, I guess if they're going for sowing division and confusion, this is on-brand for Russia:

Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:08 pm Honestly if Bernie is the nominee and he has someone younger and more moderate as a VP, I'm not entirely against him being 78 with heart issues. :ninja:
Bernie's health issues are why Warren needs to stay in the race even if she's in fourth place...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:11 pm
Bernie's health issues are why Warren needs to stay in the race even if she's in fourth place...
+1

Warren is a heartbeat away from being my favorite canidate.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't take him as being actually being 'super mad' but I grabbed this tweet because I find the video to be interesting. The backstory here is it seems that Bernie got the same briefing a month ago about Russia looking to help him and Trump that got the Acting DNI canned. His complaint seems to be that the story came out right before the caucus. Sorta fair but this is an everybody sucks story. It also highlights he is pretty shady in that he keeps playing up interference without mentioning the intel folks told him it was in his favor.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:53 pm I don't take him as being actually being 'super mad' but I grabbed this tweet because I find the video to be interesting. The backstory here is it seems that Bernie got the same briefing a month ago about Russia looking to help him and Trump that got the Acting DNI canned. His complaint seems to be that the story came out right before the caucus. Sorta fair but this is an everybody sucks story. It also highlights he is pretty shady in that he keeps playing up interference without mentioning the intel folks told him it was in his favor.

Cue the research that Trump has the best chance of beating Bernie if he's the one that gets the nod.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How long has Bernie been 78? This writer pored over old video clips, trying to pin down when Sanders reached his current age. Video and pictures at the link.
Spoiler:
It was 1987.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Chris Matthews' continuing 'panic' about Bernie is fun to watch. 4-more years of Trump is better for the Democrats?!? :lol:

Azza

Post by Azza »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:53 pm I don't take him as being actually being 'super mad' but I grabbed this tweet because I find the video to be interesting. The backstory here is it seems that Bernie got the same briefing a month ago about Russia looking to help him and Trump that got the Acting DNI canned. His complaint seems to be that the story came out right before the caucus. Sorta fair but this is an everybody sucks story. It also highlights he is pretty shady in that he keeps playing up interference without mentioning the intel folks told him it was in his favor.

That intel was classified by the Trump admin and he couldn't speak of it until the leak, malchior. Bernie's com director has suggested they were set up to look bad, and I buy it.
I have no sig!
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Azza wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm That intel was classified by the Trump admin and he couldn't speak of it until the leak, malchior. Bernie's com director has suggested they were set up to look bad, and I buy it.
It doesn't have to be a binary choice. Both explanations are plausible. It could be a bit of Column A AND a bit of Column B.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Dogstar wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:43 pm
Azza wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm That intel was classified by the Trump admin and he couldn't speak of it until the leak, malchior. Bernie's com director has suggested they were set up to look bad, and I buy it.
It doesn't have to be a binary choice. Both explanations are plausible. It could be a bit of Column A AND a bit of Column B.
True but I dont believe him. I think he wanted to have it both ways. He gets the potential benefit and then gets a benefit for decrying it. Win/win for him.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

And does anyone actually believe Trump doesn’t want to face Bernie??? Of course he does.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kurth wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:03 pm And does anyone actually believe Trump doesn’t want to face Bernie??? Of course he does.
He absolutely wants to face Bernie. Why do you think he keeps tweeting about the Democratic primary being rigged against Bernie? I think he knows what oppo is out there against Bernie, and a Bernie nom is the easiest way to 4 more years of Trump.
Hodor.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

pr0ner wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:37 pm
Kurth wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:03 pm And does anyone actually believe Trump doesn’t want to face Bernie??? Of course he does.
He absolutely wants to face Bernie. Why do you think he keeps tweeting about the Democratic primary being rigged against Bernie? I think he knows what oppo is out there against Bernie, and a Bernie nom is the easiest way to 4 more years of Trump.
Bernie is everything Trump isin't. This is why Bernie will win. Obama was America's reaction to Bush. Trump was the reaction to Obama, on and on it will go till America's political compass settles down. I have to hope for the best until it does.

Perhaps this will be the election in which the forgotten gen X and the Millenials finally wrest political control from the boomers. No offense boomers.

Perhaps 'Merica has one more election left to it before they become irrelevant.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Your logic is bullshit, Drazzil. GenX and millennials claim the lead by bringing in Boomer Bernie?

Bernie is bribing Millennials the way Trump bribed Anti-Abortionists.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm
Bernie is everything Trump isin't. This is why Bernie will win. Obama was America's reaction to Bush. Trump was the reaction to Obama, on and on it will go till America's political compass settles down. I have to hope for the best until it does.

Perhaps this will be the election in which the forgotten gen X and the Millenials finally wrest political control from the boomers. No offense boomers.

Uhhh..no.

I mean I sure hope so bc my 3yo is a better choice as prez than trump, but bernie is the disaster we always knew the Dems would nominate. They just can't help themselves.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

GungHo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:46 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm

Uhhh..no.

I mean I sure hope so bc my 3yo is a better choice as prez than trump, but bernie is the disaster we always knew the Dems would nominate. They just can't help themselves.
Because the Dem's did so great with Clinton, I mean she just carried the election right?

Bernie's not a compromise canidate. He's going to turn off a lot of people. Between him and Warren though I believe Bernie is the better canidate.

Time will tell.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Bernie is Russia's favorite candidate.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

8-)
Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:16 pm Bernie is Russia's favorite candidate.
Russian plant says what?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Dude, you didn't read the Intelligence report clip posted in this very forum?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Freyland wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:39 pm Dude, you didn't read the Intelligence report clip posted in this very forum?
I'll read it. But I think this is all Russian bullshit aimed at attacking the presumptive nominee and I believe the biggest threat to Trump's term #2.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Spoiler:
чувствовать ожог
Translated from Russian by Google
feel burn
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Any Democratic candidate is going to have to work hard to unify the party. Sanders, as a factional candidate, probably has a bigger hill to climb, and you would hope he would start early, but instead...

And then he'll whine when the establishment (superdelegates) vote against him.

He's making it really, really hard to hold my nose and vote for him should he become the nominee.
Azza

Post by Azza »

Dogstar wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:43 pm
That Sanders hid this information for political gain in a failed attempt to deceive America is conjecture. That this intel was classified and Sanders could not publish it himself is fact. It makes little sense for the senator to attempt to hide or lie about damaging info that's sourced from Trump's own FBI (and thus bound to be publicly weaponized), and I think it says a great deal about one's personal biases to make such a leap.

I disagree. 45's renewed focus on attacking socialism and his private comments about Sanders suggests he's quite worried. On the Parnas tapes, Trump himself said Bernie is the one person he was worried about having on the ticket in 2016. Additionally:

Trump Is Growing Concerned About Bernie Sanders
https://theintercept.com/2020/01/29/tru ... -election/
...[Trump] has also long been concerned that the populism embraced by Sanders, as well as Sen. Elizabeth Warren, would play out in unpredictable ways in a general election.

Last week, the New York Times reported that some of Trump’s advisers believe that Sanders is a beatable general election candidate and have worked to elevate him, a report that former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s campaign seized on to argue that Sanders is a risky nominee. But the same article suggested that Trump himself disagrees and has been working to undermine Sanders with his public comments. “The president, his advisers say, has been in need of a clear target for months, and he believes he is actually hurting Mr. Sanders. Mr. Trump’s advisers do not necessarily share that view,” the Times reported. The divergent views among Trump and his aides lead to an amusing strategic synchronicity: Trump believes that he is hurting Sanders by attacking him, while the president’s advisers believe that he is helping Sanders with those same attacks — and so Trump attacking Sanders serves the interests (as they understand them) of both Trump and his advisers.
Poll: Trump edges out all top 2020 Democratic candidates except Sanders
https://theintercept.com/2020/01/29/tru ... -election/
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is the only Democratic presidential contender to beat President Trump in a head-to-head match-up, according to a new Emerson College poll released Wednesday.

Sanders edges out Trump by a 51 percent-49 percent margin in the poll. Meanwhile, Trump leads former South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) and former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg by 2 points. All those margins are within the poll’s margin of error of 2.7 percentage points.

Trump also leads former Vice President Joe Biden 52 percent-48 percent, an advantage outside the poll’s margin of error.
Bernie Sanders Leads Donald Trump By Widest Margins Of All 2020 Candidates
https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders ... rg-1483423
Senator Bernie Sanders leads President Donald Trump by the widest margin of all the candidates in the Democratic Party's 2020 race when Americans are asked to choose in a face-off against the Republican incumbent, according to a poll.

SurveyUSA asked 4,069 registered voters nationwide how they would vote in an election today if Trump was pitted against each of the 2020 candidates in the Democratic race. The progressive Vermont independent came out on top.

The poll found that 52 percent of voters would choose Sanders and 43 percent Trump, giving the veteran senator a nine-point lead.
Regardless of what the GOP establishment (or Russia) thinks, Donald Trump is wary of populism from the left and he has been since 2016.
I have no sig!
malchior

Post by malchior »

The full results aren't in but it is looking like Bernie is essentially on track to have essentially a similar vote count to 2016. "Hillary's" votes seem to have spread out to Biden, Pete, and Warren. Obviously this isn't one to one but this is looking to be similar to 2016 where the divisive person with the plurality is becoming the front-runner. It is certainly interesting but we'll see what happens in SC and more importantly Super Tuesday. It's a win but the predictable media loves talking about the horse race versus the big picture. However, this isn't necessarily the path to victory they are making it out to be yet.

Meanwhile, I have already seen the outlines of increasing wailing and gnashing of teeth happening already in the 'center' as his chances rise. There are already stories dropping about some big name Democrats who are wondering the wisdom of backing Sanders. For example, we have this plutocratic asshole. The article indicates that just because you are the rich ex-CEO of Goldman Sachs it doesn't mean that you aren't an idiot. By the by another ex-Goldman Sachs executive was a very ineffective and insanely out of touch NJ Governor (Jon Corzine). Maybe it's a thing?

Ex-Goldman CEO Blankfein: ‘I might find it harder to vote for Bernie than Trump’
“Look, I am a Democrat, but they said those things in a shrill way to raise the stakes on the outcome,” Blankfein says. “I don’t think it’s unreasonable or cynical for a legislator to have said that what Trump did was wrong, and showed bad character, but it was not at a level where we’re going to overturn an election nine months before the next one.”

But Trump is already taking revenge on those who testified against him, I protest. “Bill Clinton, who I supported, perjured himself,” Blankfein replies. “That’s a literal crime. And he was acquitted.”

Just to be clear, I press, you do not share the Democratic Party’s fears about Trump’s autocratic leanings? “Look, it’s crazy not to acknowledge the economy has expanded under Trump,” Blankfein says. “Some of this is related to tax reform. The cheapest stimulus is getting rid of dopey regulations [including on Wall Street]. All I’m saying is that Democrats would have a far stronger case if they conceded what was good.”

Though Blankfein remains as cheerful as when we sat down, I can feel the thermometer rising a little. Who would you pick if it boiled down to Trump or Sanders, I ask. For the first time in our exchange, he pauses.

“I think I might find it harder to vote for Bernie than for Trump,” he says. “There’s a long time between now and then. The Democrats would be working very hard to find someone who is as divisive as Trump. But with Bernie they would have succeeded.”

But you would say that, I reply, because you are a billionaire. Sanders is proposing a wealth tax on people like you.

“I don’t like that at all,” Blankfein says. “I don’t like assassination by categorization. I think it’s un-American. I find that destructive and intemperate. I find that just as subversive of the American character as someone like Trump who denigrates groups of people who he has never met. At least Trump cares about the economy.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is there a name for rich democrats that are on board with everything the (D) party is for unless it includes restructuring taxes in a way that impacts them? Is he really saying Trump should be praised over the economy - that he's not all bad? That having children at the border in cages is ok because his 401Ks is doing great? Maybe Bernie really is the candidate we deserve, in reaction to a-holes like this.
Maybe next year, maybe no go