For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gilraen

Re: The Ted Cruz Train Wreck

Post by gilraen »

Holman

Post by Holman »

So... did anything come out yesterday suggesting that this was anything but a smear?

Yes, the National Enquirer has broken some genuine scandals in the past, but some of the newsier types yesterday were quick to point out that NE has lost the talent that made those stories possible. And apparently the current owner of the Enquirer is a long-time Trump ally.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote:So... did anything come out yesterday suggesting that this was anything but a smear?

Yes, the National Enquirer has broken some genuine scandals in the past, but some of the newsier types yesterday were quick to point out that NE has lost the talent that made those stories possible. And apparently the current owner of the Enquirer is a long-time Trump ally.
The only thing I know of is more allusion.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/03/21 ... age-video/

I rather doubt Anon is allowing itself to be a tool of Trump, but who knows? They're really independent cells aren't they?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote:
Holman wrote:So... did anything come out yesterday suggesting that this was anything but a smear?

The only thing I know of is more allusion.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/03/21 ... age-video/

I rather doubt Anon is allowing itself to be a tool of Trump, but who knows? They're really independent cells aren't they?
Fortunately, it isn't like any anonymous tool could claim to be Anonymous, right?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote:Fortunately, it isn't like any anonymous tool could claim to be Anonymous, right?
I have no idea. I'd think that falsely claiming to be them would inspire a vendetta that would ruin lives but I really have no idea how they work. Do they even know or care if someone someone falsely claims to be acting on their behalf?
PLW

Post by PLW »

I was so proud of my Enquirer photoshop. :cry:
Holman

Post by Holman »

PLW wrote:I was so proud of my Enquirer photoshop. :cry:
That was yours? I assumed you were linking it. Very funny!

--

As for Trump, are we now at the phase where, when you stand in his way, he tries to destroy your marriage and your personal reputation?

So he's George Wallace and Richard Nixon?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So if someone claims to be Anonymous you should demand some ID.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Actually he flubbed the last line and said, "Better dead than Ted." I guess that works in the general election.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I would assume that if there were any substance to this that there would be more on this by now. So I'm guessing not.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Meanwhile, in the Hall of Doom, Donald "Lex" Trump nods silently to himself and feeds his pet snake a fresh mouse.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

By all appearances, it was a poorly executed political hit piece from the Trump campaign. I think it helped Cruz by ensuring future stories about his infidelity need solid evidence.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tgb wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
YellowKing wrote:How could that dude find SIX women who wanted to sleep with him? The mind reels.
Forget sleeping with him. How could that dude find six other people who could stand to be in close proximity to him for any reason?
Women have always had a thing for Abbott & Costello.

Really? I get a much more McCarthian vibe from Ted than Costello...and for the gravy, both Cruz and McCarthy were both seemingly despised by almost everyone.

Fitzy

The Ted Cruz Train Wreck

Post by Fitzy »

I keep thinking there's something that reminds me of Bill O'reilly.

But when I compare pictures I can't figure it out.
Last edited by Fitzy on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Content to let the delegates handle Trump for him, Cruz goes after Kasich:
In interviews this week, Cruz has repeatedly invoked the RNC's rule 40b, which allows candidates to be nominated only if they've won total delegate majorities in eight states or more. That rule, hastily written in 2012 after then-Rep. Ron Paul of Texas nearly grabbed enough wins to be nominated, is now favored by allies of both Cruz and Donald Trump as a way of making Kasich — or any establishment "savior" — irrelevant.

"I think that would be a terrible idea for the Washington power brokers to change the rules, because they’re unhappy with the candidates who the voters are voting for," Cruz told radio host Hugh Hewitt on Tuesday. "It was the Washington establishment that put this rule in place. So now when the Washington establishment candidates are losing, they want to change the rules to try to parachute in some candidate who hasn’t earned the votes of the people. That is nothing short of crazy."
That was a slight mangling of the rule, though it went uncorrected onstage. In rule 40b, it is not enough for a candidate to have won the popular vote in eight states. He must have won a majority of pledged delegates — something tied to the seemingly capricious standards of each primary.

Trump has crossed that threshold. Cruz has not. He has won in nine states, but in three — Alaska, Iowa, and Oklahoma — he won only pluralities of delegates. Even if he won Wisconsin, current polling in upcoming states suggests that Cruz may not meet the 40b standard until May's contests in states such as Indiana and Nebraska.

But Kasich, who is optimistic about winning states later in April, would struggle to win outright majorities in eight of them. By insisting that rule 40b is immutable, Cruz is signaling to later-state voters that any Kasich victories would be nullified by the convention, raising the possibility of a sitting governor of Ohio being kept from the table at a nominating contest in Cleveland.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Isgrimnur wrote:Content to let the delegates handle Trump for him, Cruz goes after Kasich:
In interviews this week, Cruz has repeatedly invoked the RNC's rule 40b, which allows candidates to be nominated only if they've won total delegate majorities in eight states or more. That rule, hastily written in 2012 after then-Rep. Ron Paul of Texas nearly grabbed enough wins to be nominated, is now favored by allies of both Cruz and Donald Trump as a way of making Kasich — or any establishment "savior" — irrelevant.

"I think that would be a terrible idea for the Washington power brokers to change the rules, because they’re unhappy with the candidates who the voters are voting for," Cruz told radio host Hugh Hewitt on Tuesday. "It was the Washington establishment that put this rule in place. So now when the Washington establishment candidates are losing, they want to change the rules to try to parachute in some candidate who hasn’t earned the votes of the people. That is nothing short of crazy."
That was a slight mangling of the rule, though it went uncorrected onstage. In rule 40b, it is not enough for a candidate to have won the popular vote in eight states. He must have won a majority of pledged delegates — something tied to the seemingly capricious standards of each primary.

Trump has crossed that threshold. Cruz has not. He has won in nine states, but in three — Alaska, Iowa, and Oklahoma — he won only pluralities of delegates.
Even if he won Wisconsin, current polling in upcoming states suggests that Cruz may not meet the 40b standard until May's contests in states such as Indiana and Nebraska.

But Kasich, who is optimistic about winning states later in April, would struggle to win outright majorities in eight of them. By insisting that rule 40b is immutable, Cruz is signaling to later-state voters that any Kasich victories would be nullified by the convention, raising the possibility of a sitting governor of Ohio being kept from the table at a nominating contest in Cleveland.

It would be so very very awesome if Trump's people started pointing this out loudly, if only to watch Cruz twist and equivocate like the lying piece of garbage that he is.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

My understanding is that rule 40b is one of the rules they decide the week before the convention, so I don't think it's as big an issue as it's made out to be,
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

If Cruz and Trump have the vast majority of delegates, which barring a Trump majority they will, then they can work the system (Cruz probably better than Trump) to get loyal delegates assigned to the Convention rules committee, which would allow them to block a change of the eight-state majority threshold. That would be wise for both of them. Forcing the rest of the delegates to pick between the two of them is probably the best chance either has of winning a contested convention.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Holman

Post by Holman »

I really like it when Fireball shows up and lays down 8 or 10 posts based on professional experience.

Hope you're around during the rest of the election season, Fireball!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

That's a good idea (well, terrible in terms of it's consequences). But I'm not sure it would work. IIUC, some of the delegates pledged to Trump are supporting him only because they're required to on the first ballot, but might not support him on the second ballot. Though that would depend on how many of the delegates are in that position.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I want to someone to have a recording when Trump's delegates on the rules committee demand Cruz's long form birth certificate right after they conspire to disqualify Kaisch.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

tgb

Post by tgb »

I don't know what's scarier, him or his Stepford family.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My ultra-conservative stepdad has fallen into lockstep behind Cruz. Not surprising, since he also falls squarely into the evangelical camp. I don't think Cruz was his first choice, or even second or third, but he's certainly not going to give his vote to a liberal like Trump. :D
tgb

Post by tgb »

Words fail me.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

eh? That seems like a nice picture.

Maybe I need context.
Rip

Post by Rip »

YellowKing wrote:My ultra-conservative stepdad has fallen into lockstep behind Cruz. Not surprising, since he also falls squarely into the evangelical camp. I don't think Cruz was his first choice, or even second or third, but he's certainly not going to give his vote to a liberal like Trump. :D
Makes sense. That is who I gave my vote to. Though I have severe doubts about his ability to win the general.

I will reluctantly vote for Trump and I think he may well have the best chance to give the Republicans a win.

A win's a win baby!

:character-blues:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:
YellowKing wrote:My ultra-conservative stepdad has fallen into lockstep behind Cruz. Not surprising, since he also falls squarely into the evangelical camp. I don't think Cruz was his first choice, or even second or third, but he's certainly not going to give his vote to a liberal like Trump. :D
Makes sense. That is who I gave my vote to. Though I have severe doubts about his ability to win the general.

I will reluctantly vote for Trump and I think he may well have the best chance to give the Republicans a win.

A win's a win baby!

:character-blues:
How is it a "win" when everybody loses? Do you know what "win" means?
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Sometimes you must go back to go forward.
tgb

Post by tgb »

GreenGoo wrote:eh? That seems like a nice picture.

Maybe I need context.
You don't think that it's both creepy and awkward?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:Sometimes you must go back to go forward.
Ridiculous when you talk about the untold misery the collapse of our economy would bring.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jeff V wrote:
Ridiculous when you talk about the untold misery the collapse of our economy would bring.
Does that mean I can count on seeing you stroll the streets of Chicago with one of those "The End is Near" billboards on and nothing else if Trump gets elected?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Does that mean I can count on seeing you stroll the streets of Chicago with one of those "The End is Near" billboards on and nothing else if Trump gets elected?
You think I'd be able to afford a billboard, much less a train ticket downtown? Forget about driving, as gas will only be affordable by the uber rich as foreign oil sources are closed to us.

I work for a global company that will be unable to function with isolationism in effect. Approximately 48,000 employees could be displaced and presumably provide a labor pool for those quality $2 per hour migrant farm worker jobs Trump seems to think Americans are anxious to fill.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jeff V wrote:
Rip wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
You think I'd be able to afford a billboard, much less a train ticket downtown? Forget about driving, as gas will only be affordable by the uber rich as foreign oil sources are closed to us.
Yea, that foreign oil, we don't need it anymore.

If we did we could always just take it anyways.
Rip

Post by Rip »

As far as the employment goes, I wouldn't worry too much. We will need lots of military men and folks to guard and paint walls and such.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rip wrote:As far as the employment goes, I wouldn't worry too much. We will need lots of military men and folks to guard and paint walls and such.
Oh, so an expansion of big government?

"Brownshirts - good jobs at good wages!"
Rip

Post by Rip »

gbasden wrote:
Rip wrote:As far as the employment goes, I wouldn't worry too much. We will need lots of military men and folks to guard and paint walls and such.
Oh, so an expansion of big government?

"Brownshirts - good jobs at good wages!"
Oh no, he will privatize most of it so we can feel good about it, like the prisons.

Good ol Christie has set a good example.

http://www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/pr ... tions.html