The Confederate Flag Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tgb

Re: The Confederate Flag Thread

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote: In most cases the late-19th century statues--especially statues of soldiers instead of individual generals--were a somewhat different thing from the 20th-century erections.
I know they were in my case.

<rim shot>
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Liberals need to temper their own tendency to take things to extremes.

There is exactly one Confederate war memorial in MA. It's a monument in the fort on George's Island, way out in the harbor, where 13 Rebel POWs died in custody. Despite having been erected by that Daughters of the Confederacy group in 1963, during the Civil Right era, it doesn't glorify anything or anybody. It is worth remembering (IMO) that this thing happened here. Yet it is currently boarded up and its fate is uncertain.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

BREAKING: After alt-right organizers saw huge counter-protests in Boston, they've canceled 67 "America First Rallies" scheduled in 36 states

— Jon Cooper (@joncoopertweets) August 22, 2017
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Defiant wrote:
BREAKING: After alt-right organizers saw huge counter-protests in Boston, they've canceled 67 "America First Rallies" scheduled in 36 states

Hopefully the alt-right can get a huge makeover without the KKK and Nazis getting involved. Son's of Liberty sounds much better to me than alt-right. Seems like it would be hard to sully that name. Fiscal Conservatives sounds good too, leave all the other crap at the door.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

em2nought wrote:
Defiant wrote:

Hopefully the alt-right can get a huge makeover without the KKK and Nazis getting involved. Son's of Liberty sounds much better to me than alt-right. Seems like it would be hard to sully that name. Fiscal Conservatives sounds good too, leave all the other crap at the door.
Fiscal Conservatives? No. No no no no no. Don't you dare lump in what a lot of perfectly reasonable people in this country are with those alt-right nutjobs.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

em2nought wrote:
Defiant wrote:

Right. Because their name, not their actions, is clearly what's holding them back.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

pr0ner wrote:
em2nought wrote: Fiscal Conservatives sounds good too, leave all the other crap at the door.
Fiscal Conservatives? No. No no no no no. Don't you dare lump in what a lot of perfectly reasonable people in this country are with those alt-right nutjobs.
I guess you didn't give any credence to where I write "leave all the other crap at the door"? A fiscal conservative is pretty much 99% of what I am.

And now I gotta go listen to some CCR because I wrote the word. lol "do, do, do lookin' out my backdoor."
Zarathud

The Confederate Flag Thread

Post by Zarathud »

em2nought wrote: A fiscal conservative is pretty much 99% of what I am.
But then there's that last 1%......
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: I guess you didn't give any credence to where I write "leave all the other crap at the door"?
Why would we?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Alefroth wrote:
em2nought wrote: I guess you didn't give any credence to where I write "leave all the other crap at the door"?
Why would we?
F' off :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote:
Hopefully the alt-right can get a huge makeover without the KKK and Nazis getting involved.
You really think 4 guys would have much power though?
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

em2nought wrote:A fiscal conservative is pretty much 99% of what I am.
Which is the part of you that feels that colloquialisms from the 1940s and earlier are just part of everyday normal communications on the internet in 2017?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote:
em2nought wrote:
Defiant wrote:

No shit. The republican party already had long since chased me away. (Which is not to say I'm perfectly reasonable, though I have strong fiscal conservative leaning in many areas) I won't accept being embraced by Nazis and their apologists. They can fuck the hell right off.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's always the Blue Dog Democrats.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Today the Virginia GOP called the Democratic Lt. Governor a race traitor.
link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ugh.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Welcome to 1963 again! MAGA!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

em2nought wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
em2nought wrote: Fiscal Conservatives sounds good too, leave all the other crap at the door.
I guess you didn't give any credence to where I write "leave all the other crap at the door"? A fiscal conservative is pretty much 99% of what I am.

And now I gotta go listen to some CCR because I wrote the word. lol "do, do, do lookin' out my backdoor."
Fortunate Son seems more appropriate to the discussion.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well worth the click IMHO
PLW

Post by PLW »

Not a racist country... but definitely a racist TV channel?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lovely.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — As demonstrators clashed near a downtown park here two weeks ago, a white nationalist protester in a bulletproof vest turned, pointed a pistol toward the crowd and fired a single shot at the ground, in the direction of a black man wielding an improvised torch.

To make his escape, a video recording shows, the armed protester strolled past a line of about a dozen state police troopers who were safely positioned about 10 feet away behind two metal barricades. None of them budged.

“We all heard it and ran — I know damn well they heard it,” said Rosia Parker, a community activist in Charlottesville. “They never moved.”
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

He first points it at head height and (some people say--I can't tell) appears to squeeze the trigger. The safety is on, and this gives him a second to rethink before he un-safeties it and then fires at a low angle.

Regardless of whether he intended a killing shot the first time, would an armed counter-protester have been justified in killing him once the gun was aimed and especially after it was fired? What would have happened then?

Latest news is that the asshole is in police custody.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

In the video, you can also clearly him call him the N word.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Anywhere else he'd be called an active shooter.

There's no doubt that the police were on stand down.

This has gone to the FBI, which normally I'd have confidence in. Not now.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote:He first points it at head height and (some people say--I can't tell) appears to squeeze the trigger. The safety is on, and this gives him a second to rethink before he un-safeties it and then fires at a low angle.
It wasn't the safety. He didn't have a round in the chamber. He tried to fire, got a no-bang, and racked the slide (with some difficulty, fwiw). On the one hand at least he wasn't walking around hot. On the other, he meant to fire at someone, he pulled the trigger on them, but having to chamber a round either meant he lost his target or thought better of it and shot into the ground.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Definitely need more guns, and more lax gun laws.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Definitely need more guns, and more lax gun laws.
If this guy doesn't go to jail, what is the point of gun laws? Pretty sure it's illegal to fire into a crowd.

Don't want to go all gun debate, just saying that there are laws against what he did. The cops stood by and watched.

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

Or maybe justice is just not as swift as we would like?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/man-ar ... index.html
A man who is suspected of firing a gun at counterprotesters during the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, earlier this month has been arrested, police said Saturday.

Richard Wilson Preston, 52, was arrested following the release of a video, filmed by the ACLU of Virginia, that allegedly shows him in a verbal altercation on August 12 with counterprotestors near the Southwest corner of Emancipation Park. In the video, counterprotesters appear to throw objects at right-wing marchers.
With his pistol out and pointed at the crowd, he walks toward them before pausing, taking a step back, and racking the slide to load a bullet in his weapon's chamber. The man aims again, seemingly lower, and quickly fires a shot, before turning around, holstering his weapon, and rejoining the march.
As the camera pans to follow the man, police officers in high-visibility vests -- including Virginia State Police troopers in their distinctive hats -- can be seen manning barricades some 50 feet away. They appear not to react to the shot.
Aside from identifying the shooter in the video as Preston, Charlottesville police spokesman Lt. Thomas McKean declined to comment.
The Virginia State Police confirmed Saturday that their officers were nearby, but said they were unaware of the incident.
"From where they were standing, none was witness to the incident," Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller told CNN in an email. "Nor did they hear the single shot being fired because it was muffled by the loud volume of the crowd yelling and chanting, drums and music."
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

arrested following the release of the video rather than immediately after firing a gun at people while standing in front of the police? You're right. Justice is not as swift as I would like. Or accept.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Not trying to take sides and I think the guy firing the gun should have been immediately arrested but why did the police let a guy shoot flames in anyone's direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Rip

Post by Rip »

Perhaps you guys missed it.
The Virginia State Police confirmed Saturday that their officers were nearby, but said they were unaware of the incident.

"From where they were standing, none was witness to the incident," Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller told CNN in an email. "Nor did they hear the single shot being fired because it was muffled by the loud volume of the crowd yelling and chanting, drums and music."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:Perhaps you guys missed it.

They were 10 feet away. It was at least a 9mm. If they were "unaware" is wasn't an accident.

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rip wrote:Perhaps you guys missed it.

The shot was in between them and the other noise sources. Unless those cops all had earbuds in and had death metal roaring in their ears, you can't miss a gunshot from even 50 feet away, regardless of crowd size and drumbeats.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rip

Post by Rip »

That is silly. Suggesting that cops would just purposely ignore a man firing a gun in a crowd of people is ridiculous.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Rip wrote:That is silly. Suggesting that cops would just purposely ignore a man firing a gun in a crowd of people is ridiculous.
You're right. Nothing like that has ever happened in this country before that might cause people to suspect the police in that area of the country might be inclined to ignore a white man firing a gun at a black man.

While I'm not saying there was definitely a racial element going on here, there is a certain history with regards to policing in the south that means it's not exactly out of the question.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Rip

Post by Rip »

Chaz wrote:
Rip wrote:That is silly. Suggesting that cops would just purposely ignore a man firing a gun in a crowd of people is ridiculous.
You're right. Nothing like that has ever happened in this country before that might cause people to suspect the police in that area of the country might be inclined to ignore a white man firing a gun at a black man.

While I'm not saying there was definitely a racial element going on here, there is a certain history with regards to policing in the south that means it's not exactly out of the question.
Until you factor in that once they were aware they did arrest him and it appears he will be prosecuted. I live in the south and I can say I have never met a cop that would ignore someone firing a weapon in a crowd, no matter their skin color.

No wonder no one is interested in being a cop anymore.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Your personal anecdote has convinced me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote:No wonder no one is interested in being a cop anymore.
It's a dangerous job with shitty pay and it no longer commands the respect it used to.

We need to pay cops more, restore the prestige, and restore their ties to community.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Until you factor in that once they were aware they did arrest him and it appears he will be prosecuted.
He was arrested after the feds and the ACLU got involved.

It not so much about race. It's about avoiding confrontation with certain groups and there is evidence that the order was to so.

I have several friends that are CPD and CCS and we have some very interesting conversation. I have a pretty good feel for how this happens and it does happen. Just last week a tac vehicle was shot at while on a traffic stop. Another unit began pursuit but the Sgt called it off in about 15 seconds. 7 or so rounds shot at cops. You can freaking bet that if they call off that pursuit, there is a lot more they'll let go before it even starts.

I have little doubt that if a copper there in Charlottesville saw or heard that shot, he had to think long and hard about diving into that clusterfuck. At which point the guy was gone.
I live in the south and I can say I have never met a cop that would ignore someone firing a weapon in a crowd, no matter their skin color.
Not hearing of something doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Like I said, it's not purely a race thing. The shooter was a racist, yes. But the police are political pawns and they weren't there to make firearm arrests.

No wonder no one is interested in being a cop anymore.
Most cops I know are burned out and depressed. It's a shitty job a lot of the time.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I think I've finally figured out what the Alt-Right wants.

Affirmative Action for Whites (or a bailout, if you want to call it that).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.