The Confederate Flag Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Confederate Flag Thread

Post by El Guapo »

I think my favorite part was the post "Off topic. Please restrain discussion to southern LGBT issues as pertain to Michelle Obama and Judaism. Thank you."

Also the Facebook banner once the group name was switched was terrific.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RuperT wrote::|
Despicable.
That's why it was so funny when they got trolled. :wink:
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Interesting:
In an unusual legal maneuver, the district attorney in this suburb of Atlanta has won indictments against 15 supporters of the Confederate battle flag, accusing them of violating the state’s anti-street gang ordinance during a confrontation with black partygoers in July, the district attorney said on Monday.

Prosecutors say that members of the group, which calls itself “Respect the Flag,” threatened a group of African-Americans participating in an outdoor party on July 25. A cellphone video of part of the episode shows several white men driving away from the party in a convoy of pickup trucks with the Confederate battle flag and other banners, including American flags, fluttering from the truck beds.

The partygoers contend that members of the flag group yelled racial slurs and displayed a crow bar, a knife and either a rifle or a shotgun, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil-rights group in Montgomery, Ala., that is representing some of the accusers...

...Each of the 15 was indicted on one count of making terroristic threats, and a second count of unlawfully participating in “criminal gang activity.”

Mr. Fortner said that the Georgia statute upon which the second charge is based, the Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act, is “worded very broadly to deal with any type of activity that occurs with a group that’s organized that commits a crime.”

“We respect the rights of all citizens to exercise their First Amendment right,” Mr. Fortner said. “But we’re going to require them, when doing that, to respect the rights of all of the citizens to feel safe and secure.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hah, so they're officially gang bangers now? Does "thug" apply here as well?

If remember right, there were several A-team/Knight Rider/80s TV action episodes that could also be described thus:
part of the episode shows several white men driving away from the party in a convoy of pickup trucks with the Confederate battle flag and other banners, including American flags, fluttering from the truck beds.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Hah, so they're officially gang bangers now? Does "thug" apply here as well?
That was my immediate thought too ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Hah, so they're officially gang bangers now? Does "thug" apply here as well?
It sounded like it was thuggery if they threatening criminal violence, so why wouldn't thug apply here to the people making the threats? (Though thugs by name are usually either violent thieves or lower members of organized crime aren't they?)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:
It sounded like it was thuggery if they threatening criminal violence, so why wouldn't thug apply here to the people making the threats? (Though thugs by name are usually either violent thieves or lower members of organized crime aren't they?)
To a degree, this was organized crime...

tgb

Post by tgb »

Some friends of ours went to see Lynyrd Skynyrd a couple of weeks ago, and were shocked by the absence od Confederate flags. None on stage, and only a couple in the audience.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:
Somehow, "thug" recently morphed into a racial slur. We aren't supposed to say it anymore.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kraken wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Somehow, "thug" recently morphed into a racial slur. We aren't supposed to say it anymore.
So stupid, but I won't protest. Just like I didn't protest when they came after all the other words I liked to use. I've decided as long as they don't come after douchebag I will just look the other way. But if they ever do come after douchebag there will be hell to pay. They will get douchebag when they scrape it from my cold wet lips.

:horse:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rip wrote:They will get douchebag when they scrape it from my cold wet lips.
:horse:
LOL. Sig material.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Greene Co., Tenn.
Commissioners in Greene County, Tennessee resoundingly defeated a proposal Monday night to fly the Confederate flag outside the county courthouse, reports CBS Johnson City, Tennessee affiliate WJHL-TV.

The only commissioner voting in favor of the resolution was the one who proposed it, James Randolph.

The measure called for the flag to be flown as "a part of history."

"I didn't figure the resolution would pass," Randolph said following the vote. "I wish it had went through because it is a part of history and it ain't got anything to do with race or anything like that."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Greene Co., Tenn.
"I didn't figure the resolution would pass," Randolph said following the vote. "I wish it had went through because it is a part of history and it ain't got anything to do with race or anything like that."
Lol.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ole Miss
University of Mississippi campus police officers lowered and furled the state flag in a ceremony Monday morning because the flag contains the Confederate battle flag — a symbol of slavery.

Interim Chancellor Morris Stocks ordered the flag lowered and said it was being sent to the university's archives.

The action came days after the student senate, the faculty senate and other groups adopted a student-led resolution calling for removal of the banner from campus.
In removing the flag, the University of Mississippi campus becomes the fourth public university in the state to do so, joining Jackson State University, Mississippi Valley State University and Alcorn State University.
The state flag has been a sticky topic during this election year in Mississippi, with the governor and most lawmakers seeking re-election Nov. 3. Republican Gov. Phil Bryant has said he won't call lawmakers into special session this year to debate changing the flag. He said if the design is to be reconsidered, he thinks it should be done by another statewide election.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lawmaker sends colleagues Christmas card urging them to repent for what they've done:
The card sent by Rep. Chris Corley, R-Graniteville, has a photo on the front of the Statehouse with the battle flag flying prominently in the foreground with Christmas wishes from the Corley family.

“May your Christmas be filled with memories of a happier time when South Carolina’s leaders possessed morals, convictions and the principles to stand for what is right,” the card read. “May you have a blessed Christmas, and may you take this joyous time as an opportunity to ask for forgiveness of all your sins such as betrayal.”
Religion of peace, indeed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:Lawmaker sends colleagues Christmas card urging them to repent for what they've done:
The card sent by Rep. Chris Corley, R-Graniteville, has a photo on the front of the Statehouse with the battle flag flying prominently in the foreground with Christmas wishes from the Corley family.

“May your Christmas be filled with memories of a happier time when South Carolina’s leaders possessed morals, convictions and the principles to stand for what is right,” the card read. “May you have a blessed Christmas, and may you take this joyous time as an opportunity to ask for forgiveness of all your sins such as betrayal.”
Wow, what an asshole and what a shitty message. But then again, it's a state rep. The bar to entry is pretty low.

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

How ironic that he specifically indicates that voting to remove the flag was done by leaders who didn't possess enough morals to "stand for what is right". Wow.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

“May you have a blessed Christmas, and may you take this joyous time as an opportunity to ask for forgiveness of all your sins such as betrayal.”
Is he seriously calling his fellow legislators Judas for voting to take down the Stars and Bars?

Am I reading that incorrectly?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, he really is. This is how deep the problem is - even still as we end 2015. There's apparently an entire generation of people that just need this to still be a thing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The CSA allegiance is dumb and ugly, but how professional is a "Merry Christmas and Fuck You" card? Thanks, public servant!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote:The CSA allegiance is dumb and ugly, but how professional is a "Merry Christmas and Fuck You" card? Thanks, public servant!
Eh? It was sent to his co-workers/peers/fellow lawmakers.

I mean, your question is rhetorical but you make it sound like he sent them to strangers.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote:
Holman wrote:The CSA allegiance is dumb and ugly, but how professional is a "Merry Christmas and Fuck You" card? Thanks, public servant!
Eh? It was sent to his co-workers/peers/fellow lawmakers.

I mean, your question is rhetorical but you make it sound like he sent them to strangers.
That's why I called it unprofessional. I do think the behavior of elected officials towards their colleagues matters, and it matters to more than just them.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: That's why I called it unprofessional. I do think the behavior of elected officials towards their colleagues matters, and it matters to more than just them.
For the record, I think that's why it's noteworthy and it's something to discuss.

I was just confused by your public servant reference.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had no idea this was a thing:
Two weeks before the Mississippi Legislature allowed 19 state flag bills to die in committee, Gov. Phil Bryant took out a pen and signed an official governor's proclamation, declaring the month of April "Confederate Heritage Month," a routine occurrence in Mississippi and several other southern states.

On Bryant's gubernatorial letterhead, the proclamation starts out by explaining that April is the appropriate month to honor Confederate heritage because it "is the month in which the Confederate States began and ended a four-year struggle." It adds that the state celebrates Confederate Memorial Day on April 25 to "recognize those who served in the Confederacy."

It then explains that it is "important for all Americans to reflect upon our nation's past" and "to gain insight from our mistakes and successes," adding that we must "earnestly strive to understand and appreciate our heritage and our opportunities which lie before us."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:Lawmaker sends colleagues Christmas card urging them to repent for what they've done:

The problem isn't the religion, it's the idiot who doesn't understand his religion. He's a tool and an embarrassment.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Mississippi has declared April as Confederate Heritage Month with 4/25 as Confederate Memorial Day.
Mississippi governor Phil Bryant recently proclaimed April to be Confederate Heritage Month, adding an official flourish to a longstanding tradition in his state and several others. April, he wrote in the proclamation, is “the month in which the Confederate States began and ended a four-year struggle”.
Here's the punchline:
The proclamation set off an outcry around the state. Bryant may have expected less-than-universal acceptance of his declaration: he did not issue it on the official Mississippi state website, alongside other proclamations. Instead it appeared without notice on the site of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

The SCV is a group dedicated to preserving the vestiges of southern rebellion – including the Mississippi state flag, which is the last in the nation to feature a version of the Confederate battle flag.
However, this is what surprised me - I had no idea:
Other states around the south – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas and, until a few years ago, Virginia – celebrate similar months, with variations. Unlike Mississippi, Alabama’s proclamation keeps the cause of the war in view: “Our recognition of Confederate history also recognizes that slavery was one of the causes of the war, an issue in the war, was ended by the war and slavery is hereby condemned.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, at least Alabama gets a little credit for addressing the enslaved elephant in the room.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote:Well, at least Alabama gets a little credit for addressing the enslaved elephant in the room.
That's because it is not pushing for a higher minimum wage.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

VA Cemeteries
[J]ust yesterday the House of Representatives voted 265 to 164 (with 84 Republicans joining almost all Democrats) to ban the Confederate battle flag from display in all Veterans Administration cemeteries. An exception was included to allow for small flags to be displayed on individual graves only on Memorial Day and Confederate Memorial Day.

Representative Jared Huffman (D-Calif.) who proposed the amendment spoke for many when he asked, “Why in the year 2016 are we still condoning displays of this hateful symbol on our sacred national cemeteries?”
It is likely that the Senate will follow the House’s vote on Confederate flag at VA cemeteries and limit even further the right to display it on public property.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Surely Trump has an opinion on this?

a) I like hearing his insanity
b) I understand that I don't have to support/vote for things I see on tv and/or the internet, so it's ok if I want to read about the doofus.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS, Jun 23 '15
Newly-minted presidential candidate Donald Trump joined his fellow Republican contenders Tuesday in calling for the South Carolina legislature to remove the Confederate flag from the statehouse grounds.

"I think they should put it in the museum and let it go," Trump said of the flag during an appearance at his new golf course in the Washington, D.C. suburbs. "Respect whatever it is you have to respect, because it was a point in time, and put it in a museum. But I would take it down. Yes."
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:CBS, Jun 23 '15
Newly-minted presidential candidate Donald Trump joined his fellow Republican contenders Tuesday in calling for the South Carolina legislature to remove the Confederate flag from the statehouse grounds.

"I think they should put it in the museum and let it go," Trump said of the flag during an appearance at his new golf course in the Washington, D.C. suburbs. "Respect whatever it is you have to respect, because it was a point in time, and put it in a museum. But I would take it down. Yes."
But this is Trump we're talking about. What he said about an non-Wall®-related issue a year ago has virtually no bearing on what he thinks about it at any subsequent moment. :P
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote:VA Cemeteries
[J]ust yesterday the House of Representatives voted 265 to 164 (with 84 Republicans joining almost all Democrats) to ban the Confederate battle flag from display in all Veterans Administration cemeteries. An exception was included to allow for small flags to be displayed on individual graves only on Memorial Day and Confederate Memorial Day.

Representative Jared Huffman (D-Calif.) who proposed the amendment spoke for many when he asked, “Why in the year 2016 are we still condoning displays of this hateful symbol on our sacred national cemeteries?”
It is likely that the Senate will follow the House’s vote on Confederate flag at VA cemeteries and limit even further the right to display it on public property.
I believe it's that pesky first amendment that the soldiers fought to protect.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WREG
The 265-159 vote would block descendants and others seeking to commemorate veterans of the Confederate States of America from flying the Confederate Battle Flag over mass graves on the two days a year that flag displays are permitted.
Huffman’s amendment is mostly symbolic and applies only to instances in which Confederate flags are flown on flagpoles over mass graves.

The amendment would not ban the display of small Confederate flags placed at individual graves.
Go drape whatever flag you want over whatever grave, it's just eliminating governmental action to sanction it. Your first amendment is unsullied in this case.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote:WREG
The 265-159 vote would block descendants and others seeking to commemorate veterans of the Confederate States of America from flying the Confederate Battle Flag over mass graves on the two days a year that flag displays are permitted.
Huffman’s amendment is mostly symbolic and applies only to instances in which Confederate flags are flown on flagpoles over mass graves.

The amendment would not ban the display of small Confederate flags placed at individual graves.
Go drape whatever flag you want over whatever grave, it's just eliminating governmental action to sanction it. Your first amendment is unsullied in this case.
"An exception was included to allow for small flags to be displayed on individual graves only on Memorial Day and Confederate Memorial Day."

That's what I was replying to.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Which is consistent with general VA policies.

Nashville
Graves are decorated with small United States flags the day before Memorial Day and are removed immediately after the holiday. Flags are not permitted on graves at any other time.
The national cemetery staff will decorate all graves prior to Memorial Day with small flags. These flags will be removed immediately after Memorial Day and are not permitted on graves at any other time.
Knoxville and Calverton
Graves are decorated with small United States flags a few days before Memorial Day and are removed immediately after the holiday. Flags are not permitted at any other time.
etc.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote:Which is consistent with general VA policies.

Nashville
Graves are decorated with small United States flags the day before Memorial Day and are removed immediately after the holiday. Flags are not permitted on graves at any other time.
The national cemetery staff will decorate all graves prior to Memorial Day with small flags. These flags will be removed immediately after Memorial Day and are not permitted on graves at any other time.
Knoxville and Calverton
Graves are decorated with small United States flags a few days before Memorial Day and are removed immediately after the holiday. Flags are not permitted at any other time.
etc.
I didn't know that, but it's irrelevant. Either you allow flags or you don't. I don't think you get to decide what flags get put there any more than what religious symbol.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:

The problem isn't the religion, it's the idiot who doesn't understand his religion. He's a tool and an embarrassment.
Karma?
The children of a South Carolina politician accused of battering his wife can be heard screaming "just stop, Daddy" on a 911 call recording.

Republican representative Chris Corley has been charged with first degree domestic violence and pointing a firearm at a person.

The call was made on Monday evening, and released by police to local media.

Mr Corley, 36, recently voted for legislation toughening punishments for domestic violence.

"Just stop Daddy. Just stop...Daddy, why are you doing this?'' can be heard in a recording released to the Aiken Standard newspaper.

In a second call, a woman identified by the Aiken County Sheriff's Office as Mr Corley's mother-in-law tells a dispatcher: "He beat his wife and he's threatening to kill himself.''

Mr Corley hit his wife "about the head and face with a closed fist" before pointing a handgun at her, the Aiken Standard reports, citing the arrest warrant. The violence was allegedly committed in front of an 8-year-old child.

The couple have three children.

Mr Corley told police his wife thought he was cheating on her, and he pushed her away when she attempted to strike him, the newspaper reports.

The 36-year-old attorney is known for his efforts to keep the Confederate flag flying outside the South Carolina state house.

The flag was removed in July 2015 after the massacre of nine people in a black church in Charleston by white supremacist Dylann Roof.

During a debate on the issue last year Mr Corley suggested that the Confederate flag should be replaced with the white flag of surrender.

Mr Corley was released on a $20,000 bond and could face up to 15 years in jail if convicted of both charges.
I don't know about morals and principles, but I foresee some convictions in his future.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Karma?
The children of a South Carolina politician accused of battering his wife can be heard screaming "just stop, Daddy" on a 911 call recording.

Republican representative Chris Corley has been charged with first degree domestic violence and pointing a firearm at a person.

The call was made on Monday evening, and released by police to local media.

Mr Corley, 36, recently voted for legislation toughening punishments for domestic violence.

"Just stop Daddy. Just stop...Daddy, why are you doing this?'' can be heard in a recording released to the Aiken Standard newspaper.

In a second call, a woman identified by the Aiken County Sheriff's Office as Mr Corley's mother-in-law tells a dispatcher: "He beat his wife and he's threatening to kill himself.''

Mr Corley hit his wife "about the head and face with a closed fist" before pointing a handgun at her, the Aiken Standard reports, citing the arrest warrant. The violence was allegedly committed in front of an 8-year-old child.

The couple have three children.

Mr Corley told police his wife thought he was cheating on her, and he pushed her away when she attempted to strike him, the newspaper reports.

The 36-year-old attorney is known for his efforts to keep the Confederate flag flying outside the South Carolina state house.

The flag was removed in July 2015 after the massacre of nine people in a black church in Charleston by white supremacist Dylann Roof.

During a debate on the issue last year Mr Corley suggested that the Confederate flag should be replaced with the white flag of surrender.

Mr Corley was released on a $20,000 bond and could face up to 15 years in jail if convicted of both charges.
I don't know about morals and principles, but I foresee some convictions in his future.
And a divorce.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm no lawyer, just some northerner from the socialist state of Massachusetts but $20,000 bond seems rather low considering he pointed a gun at his wife and was a danger to himself.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?