The Confederate Flag Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The Confederate Flag Thread

Post by LordMortis »

em2nought wrote:Since slavery isn't an issue, I don't see why we don't just agree to divide the country in two. It's pretty clear that we've become incompatible.
You are dangerously close to getting me banned from this place.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

em2nought wrote:Since slavery isn't an issue, I don't see why we don't just agree to divide the country in two. It's pretty clear that we've become incompatible.
You continue to be disgusting. Please go away.
Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

#DailyGodwin
https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/8 ... 9634232320
Mike Godwin wrote:By all means, compare these shitheads to Nazis. Again and again. I'm with you.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

BTW I'll recommend not reading the article attacking the slain woman unless you want to truly blow out an artery. The racism is ugly but that article was beyond the pale. These people are without values or decency. They are beyond deplorable. They are probably beyond saving.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So what do you do when an African-American CEO quits your manufacturing council over your Charlottesville response? Attack the bastard!
DonaldJTrump wrote:Now that Ken Frazier of Merck Pharma has resigned from President's Manufacturing Council,he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!
Unbelievable.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's exactly what is so damning for President Trump. He doesn't have a problem going after specific people or even comparing the U.S. Intelligence Community to "Nazi Germany". But actual Nazis marching in the streets? Nothing to say about them at all. It's astounding.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Every day when I think I couldn't possible hate him more, he tops himself. God fucking damn we're so screwed.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

It'd be real swell if we can find a smoking gun financial crime and absent that I would accept his heart exploding from the KFC or anything. He has to go.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

What an truly unbelievable coward.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Fire Trump.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Seems he's going to have a few press conferences today. Lets see how many different ways he will dance around directly denouncing them. I'm betting that he will just say he's already done so and that the fake news is making shit up. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

YellowKing wrote:So what do you do when an African-American CEO quits your manufacturing council over your Charlottesville response? Attack the bastard!
DonaldJTrump wrote:Now that Ken Frazier of Merck Pharma has resigned from President's Manufacturing Council,he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!
Unbelievable.
It is entirely believable. It's exactly what anyone should expect from Trump. And it's what his supporters love about him.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The problem now, of course, is that it's too late for him to fix it. Even if he came right out and denounced all these hate groups specifically, it will only be after politicians from both sides of the aisle demanded it and a guy resigned over it.

He had a very narrow window of opportunity to correct himself shortly after his statements when the press blowback was in full swing, and instead he decided to ignore it completely.

I'm also tired of this administration complaining about the negative press. If you don't want negative press, don't do stupid shit!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

They don't see it as their job to not do stupid shit. They see it as their job to do whatever the hell they want, and the press' job to tell them they're doing great. The press is only supposed to be critical when Trump says it's okay, and fortunately, he hasn't felt that way yet.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Perhaps the only good that will come out of this weekend's tragedy is that cities across the United States will voluntarily start (speed up?) removing the ridiculous statues and monuments to Robert E. Lee and other Confederacy "heroes". While I'm not stupid enough to believe it will stop gross white supremacists and wanna-be Nazi supporters from being idiots, it will certainly prevent a community from having a focal point for toxic racist idiocy.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

The Confederate Flag Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Chaz wrote:They see it as their job to do whatever the hell they want, and the press' job to tell them they're doing great.
Yup. Specifically Trump thinks of the press from the perspective of the joke of the reality TV star he is...to be nice to him and give him "press".

These non entertainment ones are not playing by his previous rules. They shouldn't ask tough questions based on critical thought. That's "mean".

IMO the mainstream press is being way too soft on him. So they aren't calling him out as they should: He can objectively be called an habitual liar (among other things), but you don't see any non opinion piece in the mainstream media doing that. They dance around it like pussies for whatever reason, be it years of tradition/habit of "respect for the office" (that trope has now been blown up by the Idiot), fear of seeming liberal biased due to recent war on MSM, or fear of losing access to the WH.

I've lost quite a respect for NPR news as result of this. I always considered them to lean left of course, but overall one of the few remaining sources telling it straight, with lots of due diligence. You know, actual journalism.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I believe that the reluctance to call him a racist and/or liar is going to be looked back as a point of shame for them at some point in the near future.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

https://twitter.com/epicciuto/status/896690377897508864
@epicciuto wrote:Trump was more willing to call his country's intelligence community Nazis than he was to call actual Nazis Nazis.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Was reading a story about an officer placed on leave for laughing about the incident on a Facebook page, and it reminded me that I've had (Trump supporting) co-workers make off-hand comments in the past about running over protesters. Because of course, they made a choice to be in the road.

Which begs the question - if someone jaywalks and gets hit by a car, did they "deserve" to die?

I think the biggest problem with this country, particularly on the right, is an astonishing lack of empathy for other human beings. It's really disturbing.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote:https://twitter.com/epicciuto/status/896690377897508864
@epicciuto wrote:Trump was more willing to call his country's intelligence community Nazis than he was to call actual Nazis Nazis.
We all thought he was insulting the intelligence community.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, it's true that he does insult intelligence...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Meanwhile there was that drunk American tourist in Dreseden who got beat up for giving the Nazi Salute in a bar.

We have cops being forced to protect armed bigots spreading intimidation.

And believe me, these assholes are preparing for war.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well he finally came out and directly addressed them. So yay I guess? So glad that everyone has to poke and prod him for 2 days, before he says he doesn't approve of it. :P

On the more positive side, he's not in my state right now. YAY!!!!! I feel bad for anyone that lives in that area. Especially the local airports that are getting shutdown for weeks on end so that he can play golf and tweet bullshit.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Copy/paste from another forum, pretty much sums up my reaction to today's response:
Dear Mr. President...

You had your chance a couple of days ago. You had the opportunity to tell the hateful bigots of the country that you do not support them. You had the chance to tell them that you do not condone nationalist, white supremacists, ideals, or actions. When you had that opportunity you said that ALL sides were at fault.

You empowered those groups. They think you agree with them. So does the rest of the country. So do I. To come out today, 2 days later, and say anything at all about those groups is obvious pressure from the media. It is not how you truly feel.

They know it. We know it.

You wasted your only opportunity. Your damage control is bullshiat.

That is all... Thank you...
The fact that he read the statement as if there was a gun to his head, then immediately bolted without taking a single question pretty much sums up everything I need to know about his level of sincerity.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote:Well he finally came out and directly addressed them. So yay I guess? So glad that everyone has to poke and prod him for 2 days, before he says he doesn't approve of it. :P
Anything short of immediate condemnation is taken as tacit approval by the racist faithful. Their glee at his weak-willed tweets about the incident is proof.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Octavious wrote:Well he finally came out and directly addressed them. So yay I guess? So glad that everyone has to poke and prod him for 2 days, before he says he doesn't approve of it. :P
Anything short of immediate condemnation is taken as tacit approval by the racist faithful. Their glee at his weak-willed tweets is proof.
I don't disagree. Nobody should need to shame the president into saying he's not for the KKK. It's not like you should have to stop and think about it. :doh:

malchior

Post by malchior »

Lets condense the Trump presser: Economy is great due to *ME*. <lowers voice>btw I don't approve of white supremacists *wink* *wink*. <Runs off without answering any questions.>
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Of course there's the fact that Obama added more jobs during the same time period. But JOBS JOBS JOBS. It's all about the art of the con.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I still don't understand why this bullshit was allowed:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

We're already fucked, but maybe that's a big reason why. A country where any civilian idiot can walk around armed to the teeth in a situation rife with tension like that...just moronic. Speaks to our current values. Is that not threatening? Country is bought and paid for by the fucking NRA.

These idiots are already welcoming the End Times, and expecting a showdown. So let's just allow them to walk around in full military gear through our streets. No problem! I'm sure denouncing them with words will be effective.

Just so fucking exasperated and disillusioned about the state of the country, and the massive racism on display in 2017. Truly sad.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, was today one of Trump's "serious" days, or was he "just kidding" again? I probably need a Trumpster to help me translate.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I still don't understand why this bullshit was allowed:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

We're already fucked, but maybe that's a big reason why. A country where any civilian idiot can walk around armed to the teeth in a situation rife with tension like that...just moronic. Speaks to our current values. Is that not threatening? Country is bought and paid for by the fucking NRA.

These idiots are already welcoming the End Times, and expecting a showdown. So let's just allow them to walk around in full military gear through our streets. No problem! I'm sure denouncing them with words will be effective.

Just so fucking exasperated and disillusioned about the state of the country, and the massive racism on display in 2017. Truly sad.
But I'm sure if those protesters were all black or brown, they would been treated exactly the same.

(Damn, it hurts to have my eyes reflexively roll that far back in my head)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote:So, was today one of Trump's "serious" days, or was he "just kidding" again? I probably need a Trumpster to help me translate.
Here's an easy quiz to help:

Is it objectively stupid, nonsensical, or outright offensive?
If yes, then: "he didn't mean it literally, you liberal gotcha man" Or "he's still learning, he's not a career politician" or "he speaks his mind, and shouldn't have to apologize for it"
If no, then: "See? He's VERY presidential, contrary to what the liberal press says, and of course he meant it. That's a silly question!"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Anything short of immediate condemnation is taken as tacit approval by the racist faithful. Their glee at his weak-willed tweets about the incident is proof.

+1 What was the worst thing that could have happened going off half cocked? He offends Nazis emboldened to gather in a town sounds like the populace objected to their presence for? He conflates a person who uses his vehicle as murder weapon with Nazis?

I need to stay away from this thread and the news today. Because this is like getting in a car and driving way past a step beyond a step too far.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Meanwhile there was that drunk American tourist in Dreseden who got beat up for giving the Nazi Salute in a bar.
It may be that I'm just desperately looking for something funny in all of this, but this was what came to my mind.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, the administration needed a 48 hour probe to determine if Nazis were evil... :ninja:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

YellowKing wrote:The problem now, of course, is that it's too late for him to fix it. Even if he came right out and denounced all these hate groups specifically, it will only be after politicians from both sides of the aisle demanded it and a guy resigned over it.
If you have to be forced to do/say what is right, it really doesn't count - you can't regain your credibility by being forced to do/say something.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I still don't understand why this bullshit was allowed:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Open carry is legal there. Obviously all the tacticool assholes bent on thuggery stretches the law but they're within it.

On the one hand I'd love for BGM or some other equally pro 2A minority group to show up in protest but undoubtedly that would be a wet dream for these guys. They want a shooting war.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:
I need to stay away from this thread and the news today. Because this is like getting in a car and driving way past a step beyond a step too far.
Here's hoping you missed the Detroit Right Wings shit. Hopefully the deep pockets of the NHL can do some damage.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"The Winged Wheel does not stand for hate"

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.