The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Art of the Donald Trump Sideshow

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote:I have no doubt that he'll drag the election process down to levels we've not seen before. It's been bad in the past...but he'll prove that we've not even come close to the bottom before.
It's inevitable. The only question is how long he stays in it. I have a feeling that a lot of democrats and independents and content-hungry pundits/bloggers will be voting for him in the early primaries, if he makes it that far.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
hepcat wrote:I have no doubt that he'll drag the election process down to levels we've not seen before. It's been bad in the past...but he'll prove that we've not even come close to the bottom before.
It's inevitable. The only question is how long he stays in it. I have a feeling that a lot of democrats and independents and content-hungry pundits/bloggers will be voting for him in the early primaries, if he makes it that far.
Currently leading in the polls. Dems might not even have to hold their nose and vote in the Republican party just to get this goof on the ballot -- seems the Republicans will take care of it themselves.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Don't expect Trump to go the distance. Long primaries allow the loudest extremes to emerge early. Remember when Herman Cain led the field for about a month in 2011? And Michelle Bachmann and Ron Paul both (IIRC) had their turns as straw poll winners if not frontrunners.

Republicans know that polls aren't votes, and they know the party convention is a year off.

The real question is how Trump himself will take it when he begins to taper off. With an ego like his, there's no telling whether he'll settle for fading away.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I doubt he'll fade away no matter what happens in his life. I think he's incapable of such an action. Best case scenario is he'll suddenly start claiming he has a self made sex tape. Worst case scenario is he'll prove it.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Is this stuff helping or hurting?

Is McCain a war hero?

Seems like a flameout is imminent as more people criticize him and he needs to lash out in an ever more dramatic manner.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The GOP's problem isn't Trump; it's the voters
The problem for the GOP is that the inmates are running the asylum.

Trump might be a deeply clownish figure, immune to facts, evidence, and good taste — but he’s not stupid. He clearly understands, as many members of the Republican Party did before bashing immigrants became a political liability, the way to the heart of a rank-and-file Republican voter.

This, in a nutshell, is the dilemma that risks turning the GOP into a rump political party. Their base of voters is overwhelmingly white and old, cultivated by two generations of Republican officeholders who played on their resentments and fears. Now the GOP is paying the price. Those white voters don’t much like illegal immigrants, don’t look kindly on politicians who want to improve the party’s appeal among Hispanics, and can clearly be reached by a racist demagogue with lots of money and bad hair.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Boycott Mexico!
“I think we should boycott Mexico, frankly. Mexico is treating us very, very badly.”
tgb

Post by tgb »

Please don't make me change my sig.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tgb wrote:Please don't make me change my sig.
BTW, Paula or James?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I doubt he'll fade away no matter what happens in his life. I think he's incapable of such an action. Best case scenario is he'll suddenly start claiming he has a self made sex tape. Worst case scenario is he'll prove it.
Americans want a virile president to lead them.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Slamming John McCain is not going to sit well with those old white male voters. It remains to be seen if that self-inflicted foot wound will be fatal -- probalby not -- but he is wise to double down on hating Mexico while hoping the McCain gaffe blows over.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Max Peck wrote:
tgb wrote:Please don't make me change my sig.
BTW, Paula or James?
Why, Paula, of course.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Couldn't Trump afford a full hair transplant? I'm just sayin...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Someone needs to do a video mash-up of Trump and that Internet meme of the guy saying "hide your wife, hide your kids, people be raping up in here!" or whatever that was.

Edit: OK, that was fast. Thanks, Internet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kelp6KGOHDw

It's not the best editing I've seen, but it does the job.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

#DonaldTrump is like if a Comments Section ran for office.
link
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I never realized how much I absolutely adore this man until this election cycle. Even after putting myself to sleep by The Soup for years I never really understood following celebrity but I just can't turn away from him. I'm totally hooked. He's got me like no reality TV ever could. I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... an-iq-test
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really don't know how Jon Stewart is going to walk away from this. He returned last night after a two week break and he has three weeks left to go. He could barely contain himself over the Trump nonsense -- it actually took up two entire segments there was so much to cover.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Classy as ever...

Donald Trump gives out Republican rival's private number
US presidential candidate Donald Trump has given out the mobile phone number of Senator Lindsey Graham - one of his Republican rivals for the White House. At a campaign rally, he called the South Carolina senator an "idiot" and then told the crowd to try the number. A Politico reporter called the number on Tuesday, and Mr Graham answered. Mr Graham recently called Mr Trump "a jackass" and condemned the real estate mogul's comments about Senator John McCain.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Enough

Post by Enough »

Donald the doxxor eh? Wow, this primary season doesn't disappoint. :pop:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tgb

Post by tgb »

It's just a matter of time before he starts having the other candidates wacked.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm beginning to strongly suspect that Trump's campaign is a set up for a reality show. I'm not joking.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This already is reality TV and it's the first one of it's kind that has caught my attention. He is my Paris and Kim.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Agree. It's both horrible and fantastic, making it impossible not to watch.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote:This already is reality TV and it's the first one of it's kind that has caught my attention. He is my Paris and Kim.
The BBC is on board -- they seem to cover him more than all the other candidates combined. :)

Donald Trump: Master of the demolition derby
Donald Trump always threatened to turn the race for the Republican presidential nomination into even more of a reality television show. And lately it has come to resemble a gruesome episode of Big Brother, where it becomes near impossible to evict a boorish and abusive housemate because of his popularity with viewers. Trump, evidently, is more than a guilty pleasure, the political equivalent of a late-night fix of tabloid TV for those returning, drunkenly, from a long night in the pub or bar.
Trump Unfiltered
On Islamic State building a hotel
"They just built a hotel in Syria. Can you believe this? They built a hotel. When I have to build a hotel, I pay interest. They don't have to pay interest, because they took the oil that, when we left Iraq, I said we should've taken."
- Declaration speech, 16 June 2015
Enlarge Image

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: The BBC is on board -- they seem to cover him more than all the other candidates combined. :)
Of course they will. It plays directly into the popular international view that our political system is dysfunctional. A view I do think is a bit unwarranted when compared with the open brawls you find in so many other parliamentary settings outside the U.S..
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Can't we just build a really big Thunderdome and lock all the Republican candidates inside until the lone survivor emerges victorious?
Spoiler:
50 quatloos on Christie.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You KNOW I hate it when you mix your movie quotes, damn it!

p.s. here's a quote I never thought I'd see from Trump's camp:
:shock:
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was funnier than it had any right to be. :lol:
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A quick analysis of why Trump is doing well in the polls:

1. Blunt, rhetoric that hasn't been poll-tested (the same appeal that Perot had)
2. Distrust of politicians, since he's a business man
3. Court Jester antics gets media attention
4. Some people strongly support his stance on China and illegal immigrants.

I'd also add in name recognition and the large field that divides some portions of the republican political spectrum among several candidates.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Two big pieces of Trump news today:

1) The first polls taken after Trump's slam at McCain are in, and Trump is still the frontrunner (although by a slim margin).

What gives? Trump should have been allowed his fifteen minutes and then booted to the curb, especially after doubling down on McCain like that. But now he's starting to look more and more like the deformed love child of George Wallace and Sarah Palin, both of whom showed us the worst that can still be successful in American politics.

2) Trump has begun to threaten a third-party run if the RNC doesn't treat him with the respect he feels the polls have earned him.

This would be good news for Democrats, obviously, but it points to something that could really sour the entire media-driven process: the billionaire spoiler who can hold an entire party hostage.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Defiant wrote:A quick analysis of why Trump is doing well in the polls:

1. Blunt, rhetoric that hasn't been poll-tested (the same appeal that Perot had)
2. Distrust of politicians, since he's a business man
3. Court Jester antics gets media attention
4. Some people strongly support his stance on China and illegal immigrants.

I'd also add in name recognition and the large field that divides some portions of the republican political spectrum among several candidates.
He has the cult of personality from his TV shows, but that already existed from the public's perception of him as a "successful" business man.

I mean really, how many real estate development million/billionaires can you name? For the average person, that is one, and that's only if they know how he made his money. To them he's what's good about capitalism and the American dream and the lay person's idea of success.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:Two big pieces of Trump news today:

1) The first polls taken after Trump's slam at McCain are in, and Trump is still the frontrunner (although by a slim margin).

What gives? Trump should have been allowed his fifteen minutes and then booted to the curb, especially after doubling down on McCain like that. But now he's starting to look more and more like the deformed love child of George Wallace and Sarah Palin, both of whom showed us the worst that can still be successful in American politics.

2) Trump has begun to threaten a third-party run if the RNC doesn't treat him with the respect he feels the polls have earned him.

This would be good news for Democrats, obviously, but it points to something that could really sour the entire media-driven process: the billionaire spoiler who can hold an entire party hostage.
Well, if there's anything that could get the GOP behind campaign spending limitations, it would be Trump costing them a presidential election.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't think a spending cap could ever pass muster. Contribution restrictions and transparency rules, yes, but someone spending his own money? Even I would agree that that's a free speech issue.

...which makes me wonder "Are people actually contributing money to Donald Trump?"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote:This would be good news for Democrats, obviously, but it points to something that could really sour the entire media-driven process: the billionaire spoiler who can hold an entire party hostage.
My memory could be off but isn't that how a Clinton got elected the first time?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

LordMortis wrote:
Holman wrote:This would be good news for Democrats, obviously, but it points to something that could really sour the entire media-driven process: the billionaire spoiler who can hold an entire party hostage.
My memory could be off but isn't that how a Clinton got elected the first time?
Yep, good old Ross Perot. Whatever happened to that guy, anyway?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's still keeping on.
It's almost as if people are the problem.