The Biden Ballyhoo

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Anonymous Bosch

The Biden Ballyhoo

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Given all the rumours and rumblings, it seems like we ought to have a Biden thread for 2016.

WSJ.com - Joe Biden Is Leaning Toward a 2016 Run:
WSJ.com wrote:Vice President Joe Biden, who has long been considering a presidential bid, is increasingly leaning toward entering the race if it is still possible he can knit together a competitive campaign at this late date, people familiar with the matter said.

Mr. Biden still could opt to sit out the 2016 race, and he is weighing multiple political, financial and family considerations before making a final decision. But conversations about the possibility were a prominent feature of an August stay in South Carolina and his home in Delaware last week, these people said. A surprise weekend trip to Washington to meet with Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D., Mass.), a darling of the party’s liberal wing, represented a pivot from potential to likely candidate, one Biden supporter said.

“The vice president has not made a decision about his political future,” Biden spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said. “Anyone speculating that he has made a decision is wrong.”

Mr. Biden would enter as a clear underdog. Polling shows Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton running far ahead of the vice president, who would be building a campaign team largely from scratch. Mrs. Clinton, who declared her candidacy four months ago, has a robust campaign operation and an outside super PAC raising money on her behalf.

Still, the vice president’s deliberations illustrate how, with just six months before the first presidential nominating contests, both major parties’ campaigns are in a state of flux. Democrats are increasingly insecure about Mrs. Clinton’s candidacy, given her dipping approval ratings and continuing questions about her use of a private email server while secretary of state. Republicans, meanwhile, are struggling to find the proper tone in reacting to Donald Trump, whose no-holds-barred campaign style is dominating coverage of the GOP contest and nudging top contenders into uncomfortable sound bites.

For Democrats, Mr. Biden’s meeting with Ms. Warren fueled speculation that he is sounding out support he might receive among those at the party’s progressive base should he seek to challenge Mrs. Clinton. James Smith, a Democratic state representative from South Carolina, said a Biden alliance with Ms. Warren “would be a strong message to primary voters.”
Politico.com - Potential Biden run divides Obama orbit:
Politico.com wrote:While many say they’ll stick by Clinton, several members of the Obama orbit acknowledge they’ve become hesitant to say positive things publicly about Clinton, worried that this could be interpreted as tipping Obama’s hand toward her or insulting Biden.

It’s not so much lingering animosity against Clinton from the 2008 campaign that’s dividing loyalties, but the intense affection so many of them have developed for Biden as part of Obama’s team, and the personal connection he’s formed with so many of them.

Bring up Biden with many current and former Obama staffers, and conversation stops. They sigh. Pained looks appear on faces. They may try to change the topic. The conversation tends to go like this: “You think there’s an opening?” “Nah … but — maybe?”

But a number of Obama veterans say confidently that there’d be a heavy dose of Obama alumni who’d show up for a Biden campaign.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Moliere

Re: The Biden Ballyhoo

Post by Moliere »

Does this thread not count for Uncle Joe?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

:doh:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

a Biden alliance with Ms. Warren “would be a strong message to primary voters.”
It would. I think it would resonate with disaffected democrats for keeping that dirty Bernie out of the primaries. Which is sad for me. While I won't be voting for Hillary, it would take a Cruz to make me consider voting Joe, whereas Bernie is as close as it comes to actually having a guy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is really our newest Biden thread? :lol:

How about Joe Biden's war story (click thru to the WaPo story if you haven't heard it):
"This guy climbed down a ravine, carried this guy up on his back under fire," the former vice president said during a campaign stop in New Hampshire last week. "The general wanted me to pin the Silver Star on him. I got up there, and this is the God's truth, my word as a Biden. He stood at attention. I went to pin it on him. He said, 'Sir, I don't want the damn thing. Do not pin it on me, sir. Please, sir, do not do that. He died! He died!'"

But according to the Washington Post, who spoke to more than a dozen military and campaign sources, "Biden got the time period, the location, the heroic act, the type of medal, the military branch and the rank of the recipient, as well as his own role in the ceremony" wrong.
Biden is unapologetic, telling reporters the essence of the story, about military bravery, loss and guilt, is true.

In an interview Thursday, Biden called the criticisms "ridiculous," saying, "...The central point is it was absolutely accurate what I said ... The story was that he refused the medal because the fella he tried to save, and risked his life saving, died. That's the beginning, middle and end."
Uh, no, Joe. That's not how reality works. That's how trumpality works.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Biden is currently the candidate most like to fuck things up running against the Trump shit-show. We really need for him to not be the front-runner. Keep in mind we not only need to bury Trump, but also accomplish something. Even if Biden manages the former, I'm increasingly certain he won't accomplish the later and in 2024 Moscow Mitch will have another stooge to control.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is kind of a weird poll that wondered who Democrats dislike the most. Biden is the front runner!
Former Vice President Joe Biden is more unsatisfactory for Democratic primary voters than fellow 2020 candidates Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, according to recent Insider polling.

In our polling, we ask respondents who they would be satisfied with in the event the candidate became nominee, and who they would be dissatisfied with.

Right now, 27% of likely Democratic voters would be dissatisfied with Biden. That's higher than the 21% of Democratic primary voters who would be dissatisfied with Sanders as nominee, and the 15% who would be unhappy if Warren was the nominee.

Among voters who'd be satisfied with Sanders, Biden is considered unsatisfactory by 32%. Just nine percent of Sanders supports would be dissatisfied with Warren and just over 9% dislike Mayor Pete Buttigieg, while 18% dislike Sen. Kamala Harris.

And among voters who support Warren, Biden is the second-most unpopular of the candidates, after author and motivational speaker Marianne Williamson.
It's an unscientific throwaway poll, but interesting anyway. Because it skews to internet users, Biden supporters are probably underrepresented. Joe just isn't good at the cyber.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I like Biden the person just fine, it's Biden the presidental candidate I'm not too fond of. I probably dislike Sanders the candidate more, though, but for pretty much the same reason. I think both are too old for the rigors of the campaign, much less the job. But I'm still waiting for a younger candidate to step up with way Obama and Bill Clinton did during their initial primary runs.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:38 am I like Biden the person just fine, it's Biden the presidental candidate I'm not too fond of. I probably dislike Sanders the candidate more, though, but for pretty much the same reason. I think both are too old for the rigors of the campaign, much less the job. But I'm still waiting for a younger candidate to step up with way Obama and Bill Clinton did during their initial primary runs.
I mean, there are plenty of younger candidates available, it's just that for the most part voters haven't indicated much of an interest in voting for them. With the partial exception of Buttigieg.
Black Lives Matter.
Roman

Post by Roman »

I've no dog in this race (not US citizen) but I think that Biden is the only one who can take on Trump head to head in debates.
Enough of the DEMs stance about staying 'high'

Fight back. Push back!
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:53 am I mean, there are plenty of younger candidates available, it's just that for the most part voters haven't indicated much of an interest in voting for them. With the partial exception of Buttigieg.
That's just thing, none seem to be making any sort of move to get some decent momentum going. As mentioned earlier, Mayor Pete seems to have a problem with support among minorities, and I've not seen him trying to fix this in a big way, so while he might still be considered a contender, he's one with limited ability to unify voters. I'm still hoping for at least one candidate it's by design -- IIRC, neither Obama nor Bill Clinton became front runners until the primary season was under way.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 pm As mentioned earlier, Mayor Pete seems to have a problem with support among minorities, and I've not seen him trying to fix this in a big way,
He has been (he's introduced a number of policy proposals targeted at minorities, given interviews with media that has majority black audiences and he hired a director for African American outreach).

A large part of the problem appears to be that the African American community is much more socially conservative than other parts of the party. When one seems to think that introducing one's husband is "flaunting" one's sexuality maybe you're the problem.