European Migrant Crisis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: European Migrant Crisis

Post by Holman »

But Chris Matthews doesn't seem to make enough sense to make a point in the quote above.

Yes, Matthews is right that it's hard to occupy a Mid East country; we've done more than anyone to prove that, and we shouldn't sign up for another try at it. But then he seems to want to use this as an argument for dismissing the refugees as... what, cowards for leaving Syria? He suggests they should "lead the fight," but how could they possibly do that?

Is he perhaps suggesting that they should serve in Assad's army to fight ISIS? The majority of refugees come from regions devastated by Assad's forces and further threatened by them; ISIS is their second problem, not their first. There's no good choice left in Syria.

ISIS will be destroyed by an international coalition (the only "local partners" who matter in this situation). Assad might be forced out but more likely will be allowed to remain atop his pile of corpsey rubble. At this point the people fleeing Syria are powerless to "lead" either one of those efforts.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:My argument was not that Syrian "refugees are needed to stay to fill space," as you tried to suggest.
Again, he didn't TRY to suggest it. You suggested it by actually typing those words.

You made that comment in response to a conversation about the refugees themselves and why we couldn't take them in here (for reasons that weren't straight up cowardice and xenophobia), implying that we shouldn't be taking them in because we need someone to occupy that space. Now - you've clarified that by "that space" you mean "that space, after the US military defeats ISIS and creates yet another power vacuum in that region" - which is fine.

Except perhaps you need to look again that the demographics of these Syrian refugees. I don't know how many of these kids, women and elderly are going to be in a position to rule, rebuild and defend a nation after it's been blown to bits by three different armies. You aren't going to find your local ally in these refugee camps.

Also, if possible, lose the smarmy and dismissive tone that you are using here. You are belittling people for having the nerve to treat your words as what those words actually mean rather than what you wanted them to mean. If you don't mean them, the problem lies in your word selection, not in how they were interpreted. Either way, you come across as a needlessly (an inaccurately) condescending douchenozzle.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

R&P is where we come to be snide and condescending. AB is not alone in that and I think it's unfair that he be singled out for it.

I don't agree with AB's point but I value his participation in the discussion.

That's it.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

RunningMn9 wrote:Either way, you come across as a needlessly (an inaccurately) condescending douchenozzle.
Mea culpa. But if you're the self-appointed OO arbiter of needless condescending douchenozzlery, I daresay we're all fucked. :lol:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rip

Post by Rip »

Who better to identify the douchenozzle than the douchebag?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Uh oh, the gloves are off!

Or maybe he just knows he's being ignored. :D
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Mea culpa. But if you're the self-appointed OO arbiter of needless condescending douchenozzlery, I daresay we're all fucked. :lol:
Think of it this way, if it's bad enough that *I* am saying something about it, you know you've done fuct up. :)
Make up bags of change
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'll relate what the discussion is among a super small sample size of elderly folks in NJ. I went roller skating today at a local rink which constituted 97+% of people 65+. (I was the only one there under 65). Favorite topics overheard: Trump will be the greatest American president, refugees bring in the terrorists, and there are terrorists everywhere and Obama doesn't care. Keep in mind that to many of them *I* was a terrorist today because I was skating WAY TOO FAST for these people so their standards of 'terror' are probably very low.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

malchior wrote:I'll relate what the discussion is among a super small sample size of elderly folks in NJ. I went roller skating today at a local rink which constituted 97+% of people 65+. (I was the only one there under 65). Favorite topics overheard: Trump will be the greatest American president, refugees bring in the terrorists, and there are terrorists everywhere and Obama doesn't care. Keep in mind that to many of them *I* was a terrorist today because I was skating WAY TOO FAST for these people so their standards of 'terror' are probably very low.
Old people roller skate? Check that....people roller skate?
Make up bags of change
malchior

Post by malchior »

RunningMn9 wrote:Old people roller skate? Check that....people roller skate?
Surprisingly yes - a lot of people still roller skate but you'd never know since there isn't a rink in your area anymore. Closest is probably Morristown (which has no open skates and is roller derby/roller hockey only) and then Florham Park. :)
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

malchior wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Old people roller skate? Check that....people roller skate?
Surprisingly yes - a lot of people still roller skate but you'd never know since there isn't a rink in your area anymore. Closest is probably Morristown (which has no open skates and is roller derby/roller hockey only) and then Florham Park. :)
There are still roller rinks in my area, but they are desolate wastelands outside of roller derby and kid's birthday parties. The notion that there are operating roller rinks, with actual customers for open skates is mind-blowing to me. I thought that stopped being a thing in the mid-80s.

And certainly I didn't think that it was something old people would be doing, given the fall risk.
Make up bags of change
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fair enough - yea - there are more than you'd probably think and they manage to make money. I've seen four to five hundred people at open skates - the last time was about 3-4 weeks ago (whenever Jersey week was).
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Another week, another doomed lawsuit from the state of Texas.
Six Syrian refugees expected to arrive in Dallas this week will stop first in New York City where they will be greeted by the CEO of the International Rescue Committee and family members already settled in North Texas, a source tells NBC 5 Thursday.

The refugees are expected to be placed in North Texas despite the objection of Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who said they pose a security threat to Texans. The state filed a lawsuit Wednesday seeking a preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order in an effort to block the family, and other refugees, from resettling in DFW.

Texas, citing security concerns, is seeking to delay their arrival for at least a week, until a federal judge can hear the state's challenge. However, the Obama administration has said states don't have the authority to block refugees.
The Refugee Act of 1980 dictates that refugee resettlement within the United States is managed by the federal government. State refugee coordinators are consulted by the federal government and the nine refugee resettlement agencies that have contracts with the government, but that consultation is largely to ensure refugees are settled in cities with adequate jobs, housing and social services.

Federal courts -- including the U.S. Supreme Court -- have upheld that immigration and admission of noncitizens to the United States is a federal responsibility and one managed wholly by the federal government.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lol. I'm wondering if the governor is trying to make Texas so hostile that their home country of Syria looks warm and comfortable by comparison.

Sadly, moving somewhere where everyone hates you is *STILL* a significant improvement.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:Lol. I'm wondering if the governor is trying to make Texas so hostile that their home country of Syria looks warm and comfortable by comparison.

Sadly, moving somewhere where everyone hates you is *STILL* a significant improvement.
The wife has some friends who were placed in Lubbock in the 90s (refugees from the Bosnian war). They said it was like moving to Mars. But a Mars where no one was shelling their house or trying to snipe them when they went to the store. Of course they didn't have the added benefit of being branded terrorists. They were just weird Euros.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I lived in Lubbock from '89 to '07. The Mars description is apt, especially on haboob dust storm days.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Buzzfeed
Hours after the Obama administration opposed Texas’s request for a temporary restraining order stopping Syrian refugee resettlement in the state, Texas withdrew the request. The state is now only seeking a hearing on or before Dec. 9 on the preliminary injunction request it has made in the case.
raydude

Post by raydude »

If, as I suspect, the 6 refugees were mostly mothers with children I was going to suggest someone photograph them and put a caption "Is the Great State of Texas really afraid of this?". But apparently someone in Texas saw who the 6 looked like and figured it would not be good optics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott held a news conference at 10 a.m. Tuesday to discuss Cruz's Terrorist Refugee Infiltration Prevention Act.

Cruz said he disagrees with Donald Trump's call to ban Muslims from coming into the United States, but he supports governors like Abbott who don't want Syrian refugees in their states.
Cruz is calling on banning refugees for a three-year period if they are from a state where the Islamic State Group is active. He also said any American who trains with ISIS should lose citizenship.
Meanwhile, groups said they settled a Syrian refugee family in Texas, defying efforts Abbott's efforts.

A Syrian family of six went to live near relatives Monday who were already living in the Dallas area, said Lucy Carrigan, a spokeswoman for the International Rescue Committee.
Texas has taken in more refugees than any other state in the last five years, including about 250 Syrian refugees. But it also fought harder than any other state to stop Syrian refugees after the attacks.

Texas' health commissioner sent letters to refugee resettlement agencies threatening them with the loss of state cooperation if they continued to bring in Syrians. They then filed a lawsuit against the International Rescue Committee and the federal government.
According to court filings made by federal officials, 15 additional Syrians are expected to arrive in Houston this week.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I had a co-worker express that he had no problem with Syrian refugees coming to Canada, his issue was with the terrorists that would be coming with them.

I asked him which ones were terrorists. He didn't know. I asked him what percentage of refugees are expected to be terrorists. No idea on that as well. Before I got even more obnoxious I just stopped, but I should have asked him if he was just expressing an opinion or if he had thoughts on how to approach this from a practical standpoint.

Being afraid of people because they might be murderers seems like a rationale to fear all people, all the time. Every time a white guy murders someone I start to view my neighbours with more suspicion.

I'm starting to think my co-worker might be a terrorist.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What's the constitution have to say on citizenship these days?

I'd actually be somewhat flattered if a state's highest politicians thought I was a problem worthy of their attention and new laws to deal with me.

That's kind of cool.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote:I had a co-worker express that he had no problem with Syrian refugees coming to Canada, his issue was with the terrorists that would be coming with them.

I asked him which ones were terrorists. He didn't know. I asked him what percentage of refugees are expected to be terrorists. No idea on that as well. Before I got even more obnoxious I just stopped, but I should have asked him if he was just expressing an opinion or if he had thoughts on how to approach this from a practical standpoint.

Being afraid of people because they might be murderers seems like a rationale to fear all people, all the time. Every time a white guy murders someone I start to view my neighbours with more suspicion.

I'm starting to think my co-worker might be a terrorist.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Germany
Germany’s Vice-Chancellor, Sigmar Gabriel, has threatened to withdraw aid from north African countries if they don’t cooperate on taking back rejected asylum seekers.

“Germany is more than willing to give economic aid to North Africa, but only when the governments there reciprocate by allowing people whose asylum applications have been rejected to travel back into the country,” Gabriel, leader of the centre-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), told public broadcaster ARD.
The German government has in recent weeks flagged problems in expelling Algerians and Moroccans, saying their countries of origin were often unwilling to take them back because of missing identity documents.
The conservative Christian Social Union (CSU) are demanding that the government categorize Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia as “safe countries of origin” meaning that new arrivals from those countries would have very little chance of being granted refugee status and would be deported more quickly.

In the summer the Balkan states of Albania, Montenegro and Kosovo were labeled as “safe countries of origin”. This categorization contributed to a sharp fall in asylum applications from those countries in 2015.

Last week Chancellor Angela Merkel received Algerian prime minister Abdelmalek Sellal in Berlin in an effort to improve cooperation on the issue of deportations.

But Sellal warned that his country would only take deportees if it could be established they were Algerian.

Tunisia has also claimed that some people who have sought asylum in Germany destroy their documentation and pretend to be Tunisian.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
A federal judge has again denied a bid by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton to block the federal government from resettling Syrian refugees in the state.

Dallas-based U.S. District Judge David C. Godbey on Monday rejected Paxton’s request for a preliminary injunction to bar the Syrian refugees
“The Court does not deny that the Syrian refugees pose some risk. That would be foolish,” Godbey wrote. “In our country, however, it is the federal executive that is charged with assessing and mitigating that risk, not the states and not the courts.”

The court cannot “interfere with the executive’s discharge of its foreign affairs and national security duties based on a possibility of a harm,” and Texas failed to prove that refugee resettlement poses a “substantial threat of irreparable injury,” Godbey wrote.

Paxton’s office in December dropped its first request for a temporary restraining order to block the arrival of two Syrian families that arrived in Houston and Dallas that month. Godbey then knocked down a second request for a temporary restraining order to bar nine other Syrian refugees from arriving in Texas. But the state has emphasized it would still move forward with its lawsuit to block Syrian refugee resettlement.
I almost wish I was a lawyer specializing in issues that the State of Texas decides to be on the losing side. It's got to be a cash cow.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pity the poor Syrians who got sent to Texas.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Austria
Austria’s chancellor resigned Monday, citing insufficient political support within his party to deal with challenges, including efforts to confront the ongoing migrant crisis.

The surprise move by Werner Faymann followed a back-of-the-pack showing last month by his Social Democratic Party in the first round of the presidential election, which was led by the right-wing Freedom Party that favors a harder line against migrants and refugees streaming into Europe.

Faymann, chancellor since 2008, was the European Union’s second-longest-serving national leader after German Chancellor Angela Merkel, and among the highest-profile political casualties amid backlash against established parties and uneasiness over the waves of migrants and others seeking to reach Europe.

It also could amplify debates inside Austria over border controls and other steps as the migrant flow potentially shifts from Aegean Sea crossings to routes across the Mediterranean to Italy — putting Austria among the countries next on the trail of those heading north.

The Austrian chancellor is the head of government, so effectively the most powerful politician in the country. But the chancellor’s level of influence depends on how much backing exists in parliament for the governing party or coalition.

The Austrian president, which appoints the chancellor, has a mostly ceremonial role with limited powers to intervene in parliament.

In Vienna, Faymann said the decision was prompted by the question over “whether in this difficult time . . . one has the full backing in one’s party.”

“I have to answer this with no,” he added.
Rip

Post by Rip »

The post office in Denmark has halted deliveries to a troubled, high-immigration neighborhood because its drivers are afraid to go there.

PostNord, the national mail carrier, this week pulled it staff from Vollsmose, a district of Odense, Denmark’s third-largest city.

It said the decision was made after one of their vans was broken into during a delivery. Violent threats have also been made against two other drivers.

Local media reports noted that immigration and crime are a problem in the area.
https://heatst.com/world/danish-post-of ... -go-there/

:ninja:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
The post office in Denmark has halted deliveries to a troubled, high-immigration neighborhood because its drivers are afraid to go there.

PostNord, the national mail carrier, this week pulled it staff from Vollsmose, a district of Odense, Denmark’s third-largest city.

It said the decision was made after one of their vans was broken into during a delivery. Violent threats have also been made against two other drivers.

Wow. Two people said nasty things, and someone broke into a van. Those are some mean streets indeed.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Max Peck wrote:
Rip wrote:

Wow. Two people said nasty things, and someone broke into a van. Those are some mean streets indeed.
Sounds like a job opening for you then, hurry as they're thinking about building their own border wall to keep out the riff raff. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:42 am 1/2 a million / year
The United Nations Refugee Agency released new figures Tuesday showing that it expected 400,000 migrants to reach Europe this year by sea, with 80% of those arrivals coming from the world's top 10 refugee-producing countries such as Syria, Afghanistan and Eritrea.
Here's hoping Eritrea drops down the list.
thio­pian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed traveled Sunday to Eritrea, once a bitter adversary, and agreed to normalize ties after an unprecedented summit.

The rapprochement between the two neighbors could have far-reaching consequences for improving the stability of the Horn of Africa, which is home to several conflicts and environmental crises.

The two nations, sworn enemies for two decades, fought a brutal war from 1998 to 2000 in which at least 70,000 people were killed. In the intervening years, the two sides have clashed repeatedly and supported rival rebel movements.
The two countries will reopen embassies, restore flight links and allow direct telephone calls. Landlocked Ethi­o­pia will look to start using Eritrea’s Red Sea ports.
Hallelujah Lulie, a political analyst specializing in the Horn of Africa, said the two countries had come to the realization that the status quo — no war, no peace — could not continue. As Eritrea’s relations with the West and Arab countries improved, it also became more open to rapprochement. In Ethi­o­pia, the accession of Abiy, who represented a break from the party that once conducted the war with Eritrea, also made it easier to find an end to the stalemate.

Hallelujah added that mediation over the past month from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which have increasingly close ties to Eritrea, probably helped create the breakthrough.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Several swift fires gutted Europe's largest refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesbos, sending 12,000 asylum-seekers scrambling for emergency shelter.

The camp, named Moria, after a nearby village tucked into olive groves, was already notorious because of its horrific conditions, which included severe overcrowding, poor sanitation and lack of soap and water taps. Asylum-seekers at the camp often lined up for hours for food that was often spoiled.

A state of emergency has been declared on the island. No deaths have been attributed to the fire but some people experienced breathing problems because of smoke inhalation.

It's unclear what sparked the fires but Migration Minister Notis Mitarachi told reporters that they "began with asylum seekers" after at least 35 COVID-19 cases were confirmed at the camp. He said some asylum-seekers who tested positive for the virus did not want to be quarantined.