Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Voter Fraud/Suppression

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Voter Fraud/Suppression

Post by GreenGoo » Fri May 03, 2019 9:25 pm

There's never been an unfair fine or financial obligation. What's the problem?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue May 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Texas
Texas’s acting secretary of state, David Whitley (R), resigned Monday just months after leading the botched voter purge of nearly 100,000 suspected noncitizens that erroneously also targeted U.S. citizens, efforts that drew rebukes from a federal judge and numerous voter rights groups.

Whitley’s departure came as the Texas Senate failed to confirm him to the position by a two-thirds majority on the last day of the legislative session. He submitted his resignation letter to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) “effective immediately” just before the final gavel, as reported by the Austin American-Statesman. Abbott accepted his resignation shortly afterward, praising his “moral character and integrity.”

Neither Whitley’s resignation letter nor Abbott’s mentioned the controversy.
Whitley, a gubernatorial appointee and former aide to Abbott, spent less than six months overseeing Texas elections. He will leave office best known for the disastrous elections-integrity operation that wrongly identified thousands of naturalized citizens as suspected noncitizens illegally registered to vote.

He revealed the investigation in January, causing unsupported fears of rampant voter fraud while emboldening Republican politicians who had made similar voter fraud claims — including President Trump. Whitley’s office had claimed that, of 95,000 suspected noncitizens, 58,000 had voted in at least one Texas election over the last 18 years. Letters sent to all those suspected noncitizens threatened to disenfranchise them unless they proved their citizenship within 30 days.

But there was a problem: Nearly a quarter of those identified as possible noncitizens were actually naturalized citizens ― a realization the secretary of state’s office made just four days after its initial announcement.
In February, a federal judge blocked Texas from carrying out its “ham-handed” and “threatening” voter purge effort, saying there was no evidence of widespread voter fraud. The letters sent by the secretary of state’s office to thousands of eligible voters threatening to cancel their registration, U.S. District Judge Fred Biery wrote, “exemplifies the power of government to strike fear and anxiety and to intimidate the least powerful among us.”

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue May 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:02 pm
Texas
“exemplifies the power of government to strike fear and anxiety and to intimidate the least powerful among us.”
Some will read this part as a welcome affirmation.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann » Tue May 28, 2019 4:22 pm

In Soviet Russia, if you talk to the wrong people the KGB talks to you.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:16 pm

Esquire: Voter Suppression Is the Expressed Policy of Virtually Every Republican Officeholder
Rather than taking responsibility for his screw-up, Whitley blamed the Texas Department of Public Safety, the agency from which he'd obtained the data he used to compile his list. When Dallas state Sen. Royce West asked the secretary of state about potential voter suppression, Whitley was evasive. "Are you familiar with the concept of voter suppression?" West asked Whitley. "Anecdotally, I've heard voter suppression talked about," Whitley replied.

Upon further questioning from West, Whitley refused to say how he defined voter suppression, telling the long-serving senator that it was irrelevant. "You're the secretary of state, sir, and it's relevant to whether I'm going to vote for your confirmation," West shot back. Whitley never answered the question. "I think ensuring accurate voter rolls actually encourages participation," Whitley said, after telling West that "anecdotally" he's heard that voter suppression discourages people from voting.
Now we learn, and I guess it's not exactly a shock, that the governor was the one goosing Whitley to come up with as many names to be purged as possible. The emails emerged from the discovery process—and we love the discovery process—in a batch of lawsuits aimed at reversing the results of the purge. (Eventually, a settlement was reached whereby Texas agreed not to use the phony list and the state ended up paying various plaintiffs a total of $450,000.) The lawsuits also established that the stink of this particular fish began at its head.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm surprised Trump isn't Tweeting about the man convicted of voter fraud in California.
Prosecutors say Lerma purchased a birth certificate and Social Security card with that name in 1992. They say he voted illegally for the past 20 years.
Wow! That seems serious. I wonder why no one from the GOP is talking about this.
Lerma also testified that he supports President Donald Trump and donated to the Republican party.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:08 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:20 pm
I'm surprised Trump isn't Tweeting about the man convicted of voter fraud in California.
Prosecutors say Lerma purchased a birth certificate and Social Security card with that name in 1992. They say he voted illegally for the past 20 years.
Wow! That seems serious. I wonder why no one from the GOP is talking about this.
Lerma also testified that he supports President Donald Trump and donated to the Republican party.

Big deal. Trump has personal knowledge of 11ty million illegal voters that voted for Clinton. Big announcement coming. Massive. Huge.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT