Militia Takes Over Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Enough

Militia Takes Over Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

Post by Enough »

Here we go again, the Cliven Bundy brothers with the help of their militia friends have taken over the world famous Malheur National Wildlife Refuge near Burns, Oregon.
In phone interviews from inside the occupied building Saturday night, Ammon Bundy and his brother, Ryan Bundy, said they are not looking to hurt anyone. But they would not rule out violence if police tried to remove them, they said.

"The facility has been the tool to do all the tyranny that has been placed upon the Hammonds," Ammon Bundy said.

"We're planning on staying here for years, absolutely," he added. "This is not a decision we've made at the last minute."
These nitwits are taking over one of the most revered refuges established by Teddy Roosevelt in 1908 that has a thriving outdoor rec/birding economy built up over the years in this area known as one of the finest birding destinations in the world. They want their friends freed over arson charges and the land to be turned over to ranchers and miners in Burns,
Ammon Bundy said the goal is to turn over federal land to local ranchers, loggers and miners. He said he met with 10 or so residents in Burns on Friday to try to recruit them, but they declined.
Well no shit sherlock, maybe they realize that after over a hundred years as a refuge that it would do more harm to the local economy to "take back the refuge from the feds."
"We went to the local communities and presented it many times and to many different people," he said. "They were not strong enough to make the stand. So many individuals across the United States and in Oregon are making this stand. We hope they will grab onto this and realize that it's been happening."
Arg, the stupid it burns! (no pun intended, heh)

:roll: :roll: :roll: :hawk: :hawk: :hawk: :binky: :binky: :binky: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Last edited by Enough on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Re: Militia Takes Over Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

Post by Holman »

Don't felons lose the right to possess firearms?

That will be sweet.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Post by tgb »

tgb is calling for a total and complete shutdown of White men entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

When Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia send their people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending dbt. They’re not sending Rip. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing guns. They’re bringing stupidity. They’re inbred. And some, I assume, have all their teeth.
Last edited by tgb on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tgb wrote:tgb is calling for a total and complete shutdown of White men entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on.
I heard Trump wants to raid and shut down all US churches until we can get a handle on this sort of terrorism.

On a more serious note, :cry:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Calling all women and children to stand in front of with us.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Soon to be a campaign cause celebre for the wacko candidates (if they haven't jumped on it already).
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I say make sure they're all holed up in that building and call in a drone strike...
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

gilraen wrote:I say make sure they're all holed up in that building and call in a drone strike...
We could say we thought they had a knife or that they were running away. That seems to work for regular cops.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Assuming this thing eases down and doesn't end in SWAT and blood, what all would the occupiers be charged with? Presumably trespassing is different when you hold off the police with guns and threats of violence while inciting others to similar acts of armed confrontation.

The militia types will invoke Rosa Parks in due course, but I don't recall that she hijacked a bus and aimed guns at police and witnesses.

And I can't imagine that a heavily armed #BlackLivesMatter action would last two minutes before the tear gas started.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Did I read correctly somewhere that there are 100-150 heavily armed militia that have taken over this building?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I haven't paid attention, but it sounds like there's no body in the building apart from the militia?

Assuming diplomacy fails, can they just cut the power and starve them out?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote:I haven't paid attention, but it sounds like there's no body in the building apart from the militia?

Assuming diplomacy fails, can they just cut the power and starve them out?
I don't think they're surrounded by an armed cordon. Sympathizers can just keep bringing them overpriced survivalist food.

Non-sympathizers (such as reporters) are being turned away by armed militia. So I guess they haven't really seized the land "for the people" after all.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

RunningMn9 wrote:Did I read correctly somewhere that there are 100-150 heavily armed militia that have taken over this building?
That's gotta be starting to smell.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Freyland wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Did I read correctly somewhere that there are 100-150 heavily armed militia that have taken over this building?
That's gotta be starting to smell.
The really special part is they are now bringing in their children, just don't call them human shields.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

These are the sorts of people these "patriots" are defending,
"Five years ago, a federal grand jury charged Dwight and Steven Hammond with committing arson on public lands and endangering firefighters," Williams wrote for the newspaper. "Steven Hammond was also found guilty of committing a second arson in 2006."

The prosecutor said witnesses saw the Hammonds illegally slaughter a herd of deer on public land.

"At least seven deer were shot with others limping or running from the scene," Williams wrote.

He said a teenage relative of the Hammonds testified that Steven Hammond gave him a box of matches and told him to start the blaze. "The fires destroyed evidence of the deer slaughter and took about 130 acres of public land out of public use for two years," the prosecutor wrote.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote:And I can't imagine that a heavily armed #BlackLivesMatter action would last two minutes before the tear gas started.
Could you imagine the howling if this had been 150 armed black men? Or Muslim Americans? Oregon would have been carpet bombed within the hour.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote:Could you imagine the howling if this had been 150 armed black men? Or Muslim Americans? Oregon would have been carpet bombed within the hour.
Alternatively, we get to discuss where statutes, flags and memorials will be raised after these armed insurrectionists are properly ventilated and turned to pulp...which I can only assume is where this is all heading. At least if they get their way.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Could you imagine the howling if this had been 150 armed black men? Or Muslim Americans? Oregon would have been carpet bombed within the hour.
Alternatively, we get to discuss where statutes, flags and memorials will be raised after these armed insurrectionists are properly ventilated and turned to pulp...which I can only assume is where this is all heading. At least if they get their way.
I think Waco and Ruby Ridge will stay the Fed's fist for a while. It's not like there's a bunch of Islamists holed up there or anything like that ya know... :wink:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This is the building-

Enlarge Image

It's in one of the lowest population density areas in the country, and was apparently unoccupied at the time.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Don't these people have jobs or a Steam account? I can't imagine my life being centered around finding ways to piss off the government in order to make a political point.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote:
I don't think they're surrounded by an armed cordon.
If not, why not?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

It strikes me as funny that the arsonists that they arrived to support have made a public announcement that they don't want the support.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote:
Holman wrote:
I don't think they're surrounded by an armed cordon.
If not, why not?
The Feds don't want to escalate. So far they have no reason to.

Right now we have a lot of noise, a closed park, and perpetrators racking up criminal charges, fines, and evidence against themselves. There's no reason to give them the spectacle of victimhood they're obviously really after.

--

One of the organizers of this protest is Jon Ritzheimer, the racist activist who calls for war against Islam and has led armed intimidation rallies at American mosques. It would be nice to see him behind bars.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: The Feds don't want to escalate. So far they have no reason to.

Right now we have a lot of noise, a closed park, and perpetrators racking up criminal charges, fines, and evidence against themselves.
So if the militia doesn't escalate this either, what's to prevent this from going on indefinitely?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote:
Holman wrote: The Feds don't want to escalate. So far they have no reason to.

Right now we have a lot of noise, a closed park, and perpetrators racking up criminal charges, fines, and evidence against themselves.
So if the militia doesn't escalate this either, what's to prevent this from going on indefinitely?
Even without escalation, their legal problems pile up day by day. Presumably most of these guys have land/cattle/houses/trucks that they can't bring into the park with them. Pretty soon they will realize that they stand to lose all of these while the media has moved on to the next story.

Of course it's entirely possible that they're crazier than that. (Not the hangers-on, probably, but the core fanatics.) Maybe they really do want to dig in and force a long standoff. In that case, the Feds have a great deal to lose by using violence, but that's where the cordon comes in.

Locking yourself into a siege limits your options severely. But then apocalyptic thinkers always have trouble with the long term.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What I read is that the militia have *claimed* to have 100 - 150 people there, but that most of the evidence suggests that it's far fewer than that (in the range of one or two dozen people).
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

They also claim to have enough food to last for years, but I'm fairly sure that building couldn't hold all the food they would need if they really have 150 men.

Oh, and I believe the charge would be seditious conspiracy
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
Last edited by Sepiche on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

It's a park of some sort, right? Maybe they could find some food to eat on some nearby shrubbery.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: One of the organizers of this protest is Jon Ritzheimer, the racist activist who calls for war against Islam and has led armed intimidation rallies at American mosques. It would be nice to see him behind bars.
It'd be nice to see them convicted of felonies.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bill Harris is all over it:
All of it wrote:Here's the news blurb:
On Saturday, armed extremists seized buildings at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge—300 miles southeast of Portland—to protest prison time for Dwight and Steven Hammond, father-and-son ranchers convicted of arson for torching more than 100 acres of federal land, allegedly to cover up poaching.

"Armed extremists" in this case is shorthand for "angry white redneck", basically.

The mocking has been extremely clever, though, which makes this far more entertaining than usual.

Some of the best mocks so far:
YallQuaeda
VanillaISIS
YokelHarem [sic, should be ...Haram, I believe -Isg]
Wingnut Woodstock

Engaged in a "Yeehad", of course.

Also, thank you, Lars Petticord:
Every successful revolution starts with takeover of closed visitor center with gift shop.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Alefroth wrote:
This is the building-

Enlarge Image

It's in one of the lowest population density areas in the country, and was apparently unoccupied at the time.
What can't a group play Fallout 4 in real life?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, the Bill Harris piece had me laughing out loud quite a few times.

Yeehad. :lol:
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's in a secluded neck of the woods.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote:Bill Harris is all over it:
All of it wrote:Here's the news blurb:
On Saturday, armed extremists seized buildings at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge—300 miles southeast of Portland—to protest prison time for Dwight and Steven Hammond, father-and-son ranchers convicted of arson for torching more than 100 acres of federal land, allegedly to cover up poaching.

"Armed extremists" in this case is shorthand for "angry white redneck", basically.

The mocking has been extremely clever, though, which makes this far more entertaining than usual.

Some of the best mocks so far:
YallQuaeda
VanillaISIS
YokelHarem [sic, should be ...Haram, I believe -Isg]
Wingnut Woodstock

Engaged in a "Yeehad", of course.

Also, thank you, Lars Petticord:
Every successful revolution starts with takeover of closed visitor center with gift shop.
I think if they make a movie about this they should call it Bundy Boogaloo: Unfinished Business. :horse:

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well to their credit Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio have so far come forward and said the YeeHadists should leave peacefully. I was half afraid some of the candidates would latch onto this like they did the original Bundy standoff, but I suppose we might just need to give Trump a little more time to weigh in.

"These are the classiest, most luxurious militias anywhere in the world!"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How are the Civil War reenactors not jumping on this opportunity to do it for real?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Because they're not insane extremists? :wink:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is "y'all" really used (not ironically) in Oregon? I thought that was exclusive to the South. :think:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote:Well to their credit Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio have so far come forward and said the YeeHadists should leave peacefully. I was half afraid some of the candidates would latch onto this like they did the original Bundy standoff, but I suppose we might just need to give Trump a little more time to weigh in.

"These are the classiest, most luxurious militias anywhere in the world!"
I think they learned from jumping too early on Clive Bundy's bandwagon, then getting burned when Bundy Sr. said black people were better off as slaves.
Black Lives Matter.