Gun Politics

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Gun Politics

Post by GreenGoo »

That's a brilliant insight that no one has ever brought up before. Good show.

Of course any sort of assault rifle in the same circumstances and population density would have been more efficient and effective, so one has to wonder why they didn't just use those like they do in the states.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote:Ban trucks! :ninja:
Although the NRA believes trucks should still be made readily available to anyone on the terrorist watch list.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Until the terrorist watch list involves due process, I would say that makes sense.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stessier wrote:Until the terrorist watch list involves due process, I would say that makes sense.
Commie!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:
Although the NRA believes trucks should still be made readily available to anyone on the terrorist watch list.
If you infringe on their right to transport their guns, then OMFG THEY ARE COMING TO TAKE ALL OF YOUR GUNS AWAY!
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote:
hepcat wrote:
If you infringe on their right to transport their guns, then OMFG THEY ARE COMING TO TAKE ALL OF YOUR GUNS AWAY!
There are reports that the truck was full of guns, so that closes the circle, doesn't it?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Smoove_B wrote:
Rip wrote:Do I think lack of access to guns would cut suicide rates?

No, not at all.
Doesn't change the fact that for the second time in six weeks, another person killed themselves at a shooting range here in northern NJ.
Wow. I go to that range... Hadn't heard about this..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This writeup of Obama's Town Hall meeting yesterday is pretty good:
When the 33 invited participants to Wednesday’s “White House Convening on Building Community Trust” filed into the conference room in the cavernous and ornate Eisenhower Executive Office Building, they discovered they would be placed next to improbable seatmates.

Rashad Robinson, a black political activist, had Pittsburgh's police chief, Cameron McLay, on one side of him and Anaheim, Calif., Mayor Tom Tait on the other. Fraternal Order of Police Executive Director James O. Pasco was placed between NAACP President Cornell Brooks and Harvard University economics professor Roland Fryer, who just published an analysis on racial disparities in aspects of law enforcement.

It was diversity “by design,” as Obama later told reporters, an unorthodox, four-hour experiment in policymaking through the kind of emotional exchanges that are more often associated with therapeutic encounter sessions than bureaucratic seminars. And according to interviews with about a third of those who participated, it worked.

“There’s not a lot of places and spaces for this kind of conversation,” said Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, one of the participants. He added that “the right people were there” to begin to tackle the challenge of reexamining how policing is done and how protesters should engage with law enforcement. “I hope it kind of strengthened their guts for the task that lies ahead.”
It's the kind of approach that's needed, IMHO, and I'm glad we have a President with the vision to try this approach.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, now it's going to get real interesting:
The head of the Cleveland police union on Sunday urged Ohio's governor to declare a state of emergency and to suspend laws allowing the open carrying of firearms during the Republican National Convention, after the shooting of six police officers in Louisiana.

"I don't care what the legal precedent is, I feel strongly that leadership needs to stand up and defend these police officers," Steve Loomis, the head of the police union, told Reuters in an interview at the union's headquarters on Sunday. The four-day convention is due to begin on Monday.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I love the official response:
"Ohio governors do not have the power to arbitrarily suspend federal and state constitutional rights or state laws as suggested."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:I love the official response:
"Ohio governors do not have the power to arbitrarily suspend federal and state constitutional rights or state laws as suggested."
Me too actually. It's particularly vexing to hear it coming from those representing law enforcement. They are literally asking to suspend constitutional rights. Not what I want to hear from those charged with protecting those rights.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

"I don't care what the legal precedent is..."

That's the sort of talk you want to hear from police leadership.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

RunningMn9 wrote:"I don't care what the legal precedent is..."

That's the sort of talk you want to hear from police leadership.
Don't you understand? Almost 10 police officers have been killed recently. If that doesn't call for martial law, I don't know what does.

Please note, I'm mocking the absolutely insane rhetoric of those calling for a suspension of rights, not the deaths of the officers themselves, which are brutal and tragic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
After being hit in the head with a bullet shortly after midnight on New Year's Eve, state Rep. Armando Martinez plans to file legislation aimed at reducing or preventing celebratory gun firings.
What exactly that legislation will look like is unclear, but it would possibly work to regulate or prevent celebratory gunfire, he said. The next legislative session starts on Jan. 10.

“Something dealing with celebratory gunfire, definitely,” Martinez said. “But I need to talk to our sheriff’s department and maybe our (district attorney) and see exactly what type of ideas they have as well, so that way we can get an idea of how we’re going to do it and propose it.”

Martinez, who said he is “doing great,” was hit in his head with a bullet just north of Weslaco early Sunday morning, while enjoying New Year's Eve festivities with his family and friends. Martinez described the shot as feeling like a sledgehammer “hit him over the head.” His wife observed a hole on the top of his head, and Martinez was taken to an emergency room in Weslaco. A bullet was found in his skull, and he was transferred to Valley Baptist Medical Center in Harlingen where he underwent surgery to have the bullet removed.
The Monitor reported that the sheriff's office has launched a deadly conduct investigation, which Martinez said is still underway. A spokesperson with the Hidalgo County Sheriff's office could not be immediately reached for comment Monday.

Martinez said that there were a lot of people in the area celebrating the start of the new year by firing guns in the air before he was hit.

“I think that’s something that definitely needs to change.” Martinez said. “Growing up, we grew up around guns. You know, I have a (concealed handgun license). I’m a hunter. But everybody knows better than to get a gun and fire it up in the air because what goes up must come down.”
You want to launch an education campaign? More power to you. You want to pass another law about something that's already illegal? In Texas? good luck with that.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maryland
Maryland's ban on 45 kinds of assault weapons and its 10-round limit on gun magazines were upheld Tuesday by a federal appeals court in a decision that met with a strongly worded dissent.

In a 10-4 ruling, the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia, said the guns banned under Maryland's law aren't protected by the Second Amendment.

"Put simply, we have no power to extend Second Amendment protections to weapons of war," Judge Robert King wrote for the court, adding that the Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller explicitly excluded such coverage.
Judge William Traxler issued a dissent. By concluding the Second Amendment doesn't even apply, Traxler wrote, the majority "has gone to greater lengths than any other court to eviscerate the constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms." He also wrote that the court did not apply a strict enough review on the constitutionality of the law.

"For a law-abiding citizen who, for whatever reason, chooses to protect his home with a semi-automatic rifle instead of a semi-automatic handgun, Maryland's law clearly imposes a significant burden on the exercise of the right to arm oneself at home, and it should at least be subject to strict scrutiny review before it is allowed to stand," Traxler wrote.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

From Monday’s opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas (joined by Justice Neil Gorsuch), dissenting from denial of certiorari in Peruta v. California:
For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Moliere wrote:From Monday’s opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas (joined by Justice Neil Gorsuch), dissenting from denial of certiorari in Peruta v. California:
For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.

Is it purely a political decision that the supreme court declines to visit this topic?
For the record, I am in the middle of the roadish with this topic. I believe that if a state isn't open carry, then it should be a "shall issue" state.. no more may issue or nopes..
However, I do agree that some control is needed. I am OK with criminal and mental background checks for example.. and restrictions on certain types of firearms being carried around.. (Sure, you can own an M60 if you want, but just for using at the range or collecting or the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse.)
I really wish the Supreme Court would just come around to making a decision one way or the other though. Just to nip this in the bud.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Has anyone mentioned the Dana Loesch NRA recruitment video that's basically a call for civil war?

She equates protest marches with terrorism, claims the police can't stop them, and says the only way "we" can fight "them" is by joining the NRA. (And she does it with a clench-jawed intensity that would have sent Joseph Goebbels reaching for an aspirin.)

Guns aren't mentioned specifically, but... yeah.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Holman wrote:Has anyone mentioned the Dana Loesch NRA recruitment video that's basically a call for civil war?

She equates protest marches with terrorism, claims the police can't stop them, and says the only way "we" can fight "them" is by joining the NRA. (And she does it with a clench-jawed intensity that would have sent Joseph Goebbels reaching for an aspirin.)

Guns aren't mentioned specifically, but... yeah.
Someone made someone adorable with that clip. Empire, star wars themed.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
A federal appeals court reportedly ruled on Tuesday that a Washington, D.C., law requiring people to prove they have "proper reason" for a concealed-carry gun permit is unconstitutional.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled that the law, which requires people to show "proper reason to fear injury" in order to carry a firearm, is unconstitutional and a violation of D.C. residents' Second Amendment rights.
The court's divided three-judge panel overruled several lower courts, who disagreed on the constitutionality of the law.

Judge Karen Henderson dissented, saying the law was constitutional.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Not gun politics exactly...but...
The katana once was the weapon of the samurai. But a new law soon will make it perfectly legal for Texans to publicly carry the warrior blade – along with a range of swords and other long knives.

In a twist on typical open-carry laws that deal with guns, Texas starting Sept. 1 will end its ban on the open-carry of any blade longer than five-and-a-half inches.

“Some other states are looking at us as a return to the old Wild West,” said Dianna Knipp, owner of Charlie’s Knife Shop in El Paso.

The new law, while drawing some attention in the press, has stayed relatively under the radar. Some Texas residents Fox News spoke with didn’t know about the change.

“I think it will be similar to the open-carry law in Texas [for firearms] in that it will be a big stir for a while and then it will die down,” Knipp said.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08 ... words.html

:whistle:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Rip wrote:Not gun politics exactly...but...
The katana once was the weapon of the samurai. But a new law soon will make it perfectly legal for Texans to publicly carry the warrior blade – along with a range of swords and other long knives.

In a twist on typical open-carry laws that deal with guns, Texas starting Sept. 1 will end its ban on the open-carry of any blade longer than five-and-a-half inches.

“Some other states are looking at us as a return to the old Wild West,” said Dianna Knipp, owner of Charlie’s Knife Shop in El Paso.

The new law, while drawing some attention in the press, has stayed relatively under the radar. Some Texas residents Fox News spoke with didn’t know about the change.

“I think it will be similar to the open-carry law in Texas [for firearms] in that it will be a big stir for a while and then it will die down,” Knipp said.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08 ... words.html

:whistle:
don't really see an issue with it.. People can already open carry guns, so doubt there would be any extra danger from carrying a sword..
Rip

Post by Rip »

Who said there was an issue with it?

If anything I am kind of looking forward to seeing people actually doing it.....
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Rip wrote:Who said there was an issue with it?

If anything I am kind of looking forward to seeing people actually doing it.....
I am sure someone will have an issue with it..
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't see the point of carrying a sword. Some knives I can understand as utility items and last resort defense, but a sword? Talk about warrior fantasies. Pepper spray would be a much better choice.

I don't have a problem with it, other than the inevitable idiots misusing them. I mean if open carry of firearms is a thing, no reason not to have swords. But there's a reason swords became largely ornamental once firearms came into their own.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Context on the Texas knife laws and history.
In 1871, the Texas Legislature passed a bill forbidding Texans from carrying Bowie knives and other arms like slingshots, swords, canes and brass knuckles. In 2017, these restrictions have ended.
Texas experienced lawlessness after the end of the Civil War. Armed organizations known locally as Pale Face, Knights of the White Camellia and the White Brotherhood — better known as the Ku Klux Klan — operated east of the Trinity River with their own brand of justice.

Outlawing the knife named after Jim Bowie followed in the footsteps of the passage of an 1856 act that doubled the punishment for assault with intent to murder if a “Bowie knife or dagger” was used, according to Stephen Halbrook, a lawyer and noted authority on the history of gun policy in Texas. He wrote about the laws in a paper titled “The Right to Bear Arms in Texas: The Intent of the Framers of the Bills of Rights,” which was published in the Baylor Law Review.

Halbrook said in his paper that the Bowie knife was originally used as “the main eating implement, to cut limbs from trees, and to skin and butcher game." But Texas lawmakers, determined to bring order and justice to the Texas frontier, outlawed all blades longer than 5½ inches, he said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

In 1871, the Texas Legislature passed a bill forbidding Texans from carrying Bowie knives and other arms like slingshots, swords, canes and brass knuckles. In 2017, these restrictions have ended.
Wait, so brass knuckles are back on the table? Also, canes? Surely the mean cane-swords. Regular old canes couldn't have been banned, could they? Not even New Jersey has banned canes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Did you previously need a CCP for swords in Texas?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Not sure how that applies, CCP doesn't let you open carry anything. Concealed sword?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:Not sure how that applies, CCP doesn't let you open carry anything. Concealed sword?
Sword canes, maybe?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rip wrote:Concealed sword?
That's the joke.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Wait, so brass knuckles are back on the table? Also, canes? Surely the mean cane-swords. Regular old canes couldn't have been banned, could they? Not even New Jersey has banned canes.
jersey has enough restrictions, lets not give them any more ideas..
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote:Not sure how that applies, CCP doesn't let you open carry anything. Concealed sword?
Enlarge Image
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Unagi wrote:
Enlarge Image
That's open carry. Or the German's were blind.
Rip

Post by Rip »

12 States Where the Second Amendment is Your Carry Permit

Alaska
Arizona
Idaho
Kansas
Maine
Mississippi
Missouri
New Hampshire
North Dakota
West Virginia
Wyoming
Vermont
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rip wrote:12 States Where the Second Amendment is Your Carry Permit

Alaska
Arizona
Idaho
Kansas
Maine
Mississippi
Missouri
New Hampshire
North Dakota
West Virginia
Wyoming
Vermont
Road trip!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Does Texas require a permit?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Punisher wrote:Does Texas require a permit?

Yes, as does Louisiana. For handguns.

They differ in that Texas you can open carry a handgun with permit, in Louisiana a permit is not required for open carry, only for concealed carry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Louisiana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Interesting.. Always thought that Texas was a 2nd amendment carry state..