Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Gun Politics

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Gun Politics

Post by Jaymann » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 pm

How is TSA going to detect plastic guns?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Jaymann wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 pm
By the bullets.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:06 pm
Jaymann wrote:
By the bullets.
https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spo ... ekQAvD_BwE
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 pm

em2nought wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:35 pm
NPR says the US gov't has been inflating the number of reported school shootings by 66%. WOW

This is the same US gov't that refuses to collect or analyze gun violence data? Is the US gov't multiple personalities?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm

Punisher wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
By the bullets.
Casings still have to be brass or steel or aluminum and are pretty hard to miss. But good luck with rubber bullets in plastic casings in plastic gun.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:32 am

Chemical sniffers. Which of course are cheap and super convenient.

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:33 am

Jaymann wrote:
They won't. Soon we're all going to be required to climb naked into hermetically sealed containers so we can be shipped like cargo. Just hope your wife and kids get shipped to the right vacation destination.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: BattleTech, Rimworld

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:57 am

Paingod wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:33 am
Jaymann wrote:
They won't. Soon we're all going to be required to climb naked into hermetically sealed containers so we can be shipped like cargo. Just hope your wife and kids get shipped to the right vacation destination.
That actually sounds more comfortable than current economy class seats.

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:11 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm
Punisher wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
By the bullets.
Casings still have to be brass or steel or aluminum and are pretty hard to miss. But good luck with rubber bullets in plastic casings in plastic gun.
Between that and the resin gun powder I will print out, I will be undetectable!!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us

UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 am

Jaymann wrote:
Same way they detect mini repeating crossbows.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=cr ... 7f33d3c3d7
No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:31 pm

What's the protocol for this? Will people be burning their jeans or simply shooting holes in them?

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

em2nought

Post by em2nought » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:48 am

Max Peck wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:31 pm
What's the protocol for this? Will people be burning their jeans or simply shooting holes in them?
I"ll take "letting loose their bowels in them" for $100. :mrgreen:
Run Hillary! Run!

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Had a pretty amazing weekend at an unbelievable police/federal agent training facility. There's a lot I'm still unpacking but the most revelatory part was the training simulator (VirTra and Ti for anyone interested).

We did de-escalation and shoot/don't shoot stuff. I "aced" all the de-escalation and shooting but the AAR was crazy. People were asking if I noticed X or heard Y and I didn't. I mean things like gunshots behind me. The whole 80% auditory exclusion thing seemed like BS but I can now say it's true. It's absolutely amazing how your perception changes in a simulated deadly force encounter, can't imagine a real one.

I mean one scenario I could recall the interest rates a bank teller was quoting and what kind of gun a guy flashed but couldn't remember if the teller was black or white or what the shooter was wearing. I didn't hear (or remember?) the aforementioned gunshots as I was assessing the threat.

I think everyone from legislators to gun owners to anti-gun advocates need to go through at least a minimal amount of some kind of training. At the very least to be able to speak the same language.

MYT

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm
The whole 80% auditory exclusion thing seemed like BS but I can now say it's true. It's absolutely amazing how your perception changes in a simulated deadly force encounter, can't imagine a real one.
First, very cool experience. Totally awesome.

Second, I can attest through video game experience and video evidence (confirming what got missed) that when under pressure (real pressure despite simulation of events) all sorts of things get excluded from your brain as your focus narrows to a needle's point on what matters "in the moment".

While understanding that things get missed in general, I am now certain that under extreme pressure like you're describing, entire events will go unacknowledged or even sensed and without some form of "proof" the person in question might even deny their existence. :oops:

em2nought

Post by em2nought » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:59 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm
We did de-escalation and shoot/don't shoot stuff. I "aced" all the de-escalation and shooting but the AAR was crazy. People were asking if I noticed X or heard Y and I didn't. I mean things like gunshots behind me. The whole 80% auditory exclusion thing seemed like BS but I can now say it's true. It's absolutely amazing how your perception changes in a simulated deadly force encounter, can't imagine a real one.

I mean one scenario I could recall the interest rates a bank teller was quoting and what kind of gun a guy flashed but couldn't remember if the teller was black or white or what the shooter was wearing. I didn't hear (or remember?) the aforementioned gunshots as I was assessing the threat.
This sounded so familiar, I knew I had just read something akin to it the night before http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017071 ... a-disaster
Run Hillary! Run!

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Reading an article about something else, I saw these stats:
There have been about 40 shootings by people with concealed carry licenses since Illinois became the last state to allow them four years ago, according to a recent Tribune analysis.

The review found that most of the shootings have been in public places in the Chicago area, and half the cases have involved concealed carry holders firing to defend themselves or someone else from robbers. At least 11 people have been killed, including a man with a license who tried to fend off carjackers on the West Side.

More than 265,000 people have licenses to carry concealed guns in Illinois, about 2 percent of the adult population. Cook County, the state’s most populous county, has nearly 74,000 holders of conceal carry licenses.
In perspective, that's roughly the ususl casualty and body count of one weekend in Cook County by unlicensed/illegal firearm users.

4 years, 265,000 individuals. All with guns, most probably carrying at least a few days a week. And at least half the shootings in self defense against armed robbery alone. I remember predictions 4 years ago of blood in the streets and every car horn honk ending is a shootout. Hasn't happened.

MYT

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:24 am

Vice Reporter: There's something profoundly fucked up about shooting a backpack.

The Disturbing Reality of Bulletproof Backpacks
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: BattleTech, Rimworld

em2nought

Post by em2nought » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:11 am

Paingod wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:24 am
Vice Reporter: There's something profoundly fucked up about shooting a backpack.
Cool, I can use my ink rewards at Office Depot to get one!

Meanwhile leftist France considers arming all municipal police with firearms. :shock:
https://www.thelocal.fr/20180911/all-po ... carry-guns
Enlarge Image
Run Hillary! Run!

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:43 am

Gun control doesn’t mean disarming the police. You know that, right? Not all people who didn’t vote for the Orange Klansman are advocating a total ban. Just as not all those who did are racist pieces of human waste.

I hope.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Another story flying under the radar: The NRA is lying low.
the midterm elections Tuesday could show a weakening of the gun lobby’s grip on US politics, with Democrats in key districts openly campaigning on the issue of gun control, some Republicans in retreat, and the NRA hamstrung financially.

Already vulnerable Republicans in swing districts have distanced themselves from the National Rifle Association, downplaying their top ratings that long were a political boon. And the NRA has drastically cut back political spending this cycle, leaving openings for newly energized gun control groups to run emotional ads attacking Republicans over gun violence.

“What you’re witnessing is a sea change in our politics,” said Peter Ambler, executive director of the gun control group founded by former congresswoman Gabby Giffords.
I hope that indicates a real trend, and not just a temporary election tactic.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Not holding my breath.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 am

Anti gun groups are winning in the fundraising battle and the NRA appears to be turtling up to save resources.

MYT

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:51 am

I hope the dems dont start spouting gun control again. It never helps them and hurts I think. im dem but do not want more gun control. Its already good and yet people die. More wont help. If they start spouting it now it will hurt them.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Daehawk wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:51 am
I hope the dems dont start spouting gun control again. It never helps them and hurts I think. im dem but do not want more gun control. Its already good and yet people die. More wont help. If they start spouting it now it will hurt them.
Dem candidates are using gun control to good advantage. A large majority of Americans, including most gun owners, support common-sense measures like expanded background checks.