The politics of bathrooms

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

em2nought

Re: The politics of bathrooms

Post by em2nought »

YellowKing wrote:I don't see how multiple single bathrooms isn't prohibitively more expensive than multi-stalls, even if you had the significantly extra room it would require.
Several four inch walls versus a 5/8 inch MDF divider? It's just not that much more room, even better they can recess the toilet paper roll into the wall so it doesn't have to be where me knee belongs. Those divider things aren't that cheap by the time you assemble them with tamper proof screws that scumbags can't remove. lol And for a sink https://www.amazon.com/SinkPositive-D/d ... sink+combo and now you're using less water too, and no more hot water to get sued over. lol
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our old Parisian store had a single use bathroom. Was super nice to be alone. With a shy bladder its hell to piss when others are with you especially if its quiet. The single use had a toilet and sink. Would be even better for parents if it had a changing table / board. I see no savings when they have the same amount of toilets and sinks as a multi use one. Nor could it be much more. Id prefer it. I always used it.

At home do you invite strangers into your bathroom while you use it? I dont even let my wife in. Yet in town Im forced to share my personal space and personal hygiene with strangers.

Its a simple change and one for the better for sure. Safer for kids and adults too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Malls will have plenty of space for individual toilets as soon as Kmart and Sears are gone this year, and JC Penny next year. :wink:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Have you ever cleaned a publicly used toilet? You don't want people to have too much privacy in there -- they do disgusting things in the bathroom they don't own.

I could get people to push carts and shovel in the deep freeze of Chicago winter for a shift over the alternative of cleaning the grocery store bathrooms and cleaning the chrome on the freezers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

They should just do away with bathrooms and put a few porta potties in every parking lot.

:ninja:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Don't get me wrong - I'd always prefer a private bathroom over a public one. I get the occasional bashful bladder myself. But you're asking for an extremely expensive shift in the way businesses are constructed and operated to fix a problem that very few people have. And the data simply doesn't support the idea that public restrooms are havens of crime and pedophilia, as much as Republicans want you to believe it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Zarathud wrote:Have you ever cleaned a publicly used toilet? You don't want people to have too much privacy in there -- they do disgusting things in the bathroom they don't own.
I concede that point, but you're making Rip's case for outdoor porta potties instead. :wink: Theft prevention has probably already championed this idea, except for the fact that the toilets themselves might be stolen. :mrgreen:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Outdoor Porta Potties are vile, disgusting things for emergency use only. I'm pretty sure they can't be cleaned by human means.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Zarathud wrote:
El Guapo wrote:It's a fixable issue. Say, you compete as a boy until your gender reassignment therapy is complete, for example.
Therapy is not always completed. A transgender friend continues to have hormone therapy but ran out of cash to do the genital surgery.

It's fixable by adopting a medical standard based on hormone levels, for example.
Reassignment also isn't always desired. For some individuals, they want to undergo full reassignment surgery. Others don't want to because of cost, access (many doctors won't/can't perform the surgery), or because the available surgical options are still pretty crude. Some might only want a partial surgical transition. For some people, HRT represents a "complete transition" for them. For still others, they don't need or want to undergo any kind of medical transition, and simply living as their gender is enough.

When you start defining what a complete transition is for all trans individuals, things get really dicey, and should probably be avoided.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stay classy, Texas
A day after California officials said they are banning state workers from traveling to Texas on official business, an aide to Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott returned a verbal volley claiming mistreatment of businesses.

On Thursday, California Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra said Texas and three other states were being put on a list of states that had adopted laws seen by Becerra as discriminatory to the LGBT community and therefore were off-limits for state-sponsored travel.

That drew a response Friday from John Wittman, Abbott’s press secretary.

"California may be able to stop their state employees, but they can't stop all the businesses that are fleeing over taxation and regulation and relocating to Texas,” Wittman said.

Becerra put Texas on the travel-ban list after the governor signed HB 3859 last week. The new law allows foster care agencies to deny adoptions and services to children and parents based on “sincerely held religious beliefs.” Becerra said the measure allows agencies to discriminate against children in foster care and potentially disqualify LGBT families from the state’s foster and adoption system.

A spokesman for Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin also criticized California officials.

“It is fascinating that the very same West Coast liberals who rail against the President’s executive order, that protects our nation from foreign terrorists, have now contrived their own travel ban aimed at punishing states who don’t fall in lockstep with their far-left political ideology,” said Woody Maglinger, Bevin’s press secretary.
Also making the list are Alabama and South Dakota.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"Low" is a kind of class. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My brother's girlfriend is performing in a production of The Laramie Project which is a play about the murder of Matthew Shepard.

My mom said she wasn't going because "it's this super-liberal" play. I replied, "If by super-liberal you mean it portrays killing gay people as wrong, then yeah, it's pretty liberal."

She didn't get my sarcasm. :grund:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote:Stay classy, Texas
A day after California officials said they are banning state workers from traveling to Texas on official business, an aide to Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott returned a verbal volley claiming mistreatment of businesses.

“It is fascinating that the very same West Coast liberals who rail against the President’s executive order, that protects our nation from foreign terrorists, have now contrived their own travel ban aimed at punishing states who don’t fall in lockstep with their far-left political ideology,” said Woody Maglinger, Bevin’s press secretary.
Also making the list are Alabama and South Dakota.
It's not like California has the funds available to send anyone anywhere anyway. :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
The Education Department has confirmed to BuzzFeed News that it will not investigate or act on complaints from transgender students who allege that they were prevented from using a bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity.

Spokesperson Liz Hill told the news outlet in a statement on Thursday that the department does not consider bathroom complaints from transgender students to be covered by Title IX anti-discrimination laws.

Asked to clarify, Hill later told BuzzFeed that “Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, not gender identity.”

According to the news outlet, she said that while certain complaints related to transgender discrimination may be investigated, bathroom complaints will not be.
However, some argue that the stance the Education Department has taken might not hold up legally. The stance also conflicts with two federal appeals courts that ruled transgender students have the right to use the restroom that matches their gender identity under Title IX.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

By the way, down here in NC with the bathroom laws all struck down and behind us, we still haven't seen the wave of transgender bathroom stalking child molesters we were promised.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 pm By the way, down here in NC with the bathroom laws all struck down and behind us, we still haven't seen the wave of transgender bathroom stalking child molesters we were promised.
YET. They want to make sure that the coast is definitely clear before they go nuts with all the molesting.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We get a year of reprieve from the Texas legislature putting anything together, but I'm sure they're working in darkness for another attempt in 2019.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:27 pm
Crappy article headline buries the important parts:
In a one-sentence order, the Supreme Court vacated an appeal’s court decision in favor of a transgender boy, Gavin Grimm, and sent the case back for further consideration in light of the new guidance from the Trump administration.
The Department of Education said in 2015 that schools “generally must treat transgender students consistent with their gender identity.” Last year, the department went further, saying that schools could lose federal money if they discriminated against transgender students. The Trump administration withdrew that guidance last month.
CNN
The Supreme Court on Monday left in place a decision that allowed a transgender student to use the bathroom that corresponded to his gender identity, a victory for the LGBTQ community that has been fearful the high court would take up the case and reverse a lower court opinion.
The court's decision not to review an opinion by the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals means that public school students in the mid-Atlantic states covered by the 4th Circuit, as well as states governed by the 7th Circuit and the 11th Circuit, can use the bathroom that corresponds to their gender identity.