The politics of bathrooms

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The politics of bathrooms

Post by malchior »

I was at an event two weekends ago that took the bathroom debate to a new level and made all the bathrooms all gender -- it was clearly a political statement. I will say it was a little weird at first because...well...it was new. After a while however it was not a problem. Obviously that would be mostly because the crowd was friendly to the idea but still it was workable. I will say it was odd at first when you are taking a leak at a urinal and some girl pops out of a stall and asks how it's going in a overt display of gender-based culture differences though. :)
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

There is a thread not too far down that mentions that the Pentagon is lifting the ban on transgender troops. So hey, you can give your life for your country, but we're still going to need to check ID before you can go to the bathroom.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:Even if you made everyone get a certificate (with the idea that its like a drivers license) I can't ever imagine being in a position where someone would ask to see it. Who does that? The people you're in the bathroom with? Is there now a state employee that stands outside all public bathrooms to check ID? Will stores need to hire people to check ID? Are politicians in North Carolina sniffing glue or something? It's all just so ridiculous.
It's a jobs program. Next, they'll be telling you that you can't pump your own gas.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This just gets better and better.

It appears that up to $500,000 earmarked to defend HB2 in the legal battle against the US government may be coming from NC's ten million dollar disaster relief fund.

Apparently it's more important to McCrory to dictate where people pee-pee than it is to have funds in place for natural disasters such as hurricanes (which are all too common in NC). The guy's a piece of work.

Even without the Trump debacle, I think the state Republicans alone this year would have made me jump ship.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Ten additional states are suing the Obama administration to stop a directive that requires schools to allow transgender students to use bathrooms aligned with their gender identity under the threat of losing federal funding, bringing the total number of states challenging the guidance to 21.

Nebraska’s Attorney General Doug Peterson announced the lawsuit, filed in federal court in Nebraska, on Friday afternoon. The state is joined by nine others: Arkansas, Kansas, Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming.
Peterson argued that the administration bypassed the necessary procedures to create new federal regulations, in this case regulations that apply to every public school in the nation. Peterson also is asking for an injunction to stop the guidance while his lawsuit proceeds.
Enough

Post by Enough »

It's terrible, but I can't help read this thread title in Re-Flex,
We got the message
I heard it on the airwaves
The politicians
Are now DJ's

The broadcast was spreading
Station to station
Like an infection
Across the nation

Well you know you can't stop it
When they start to play
You gotta get out the way

The politics of bathrooms
The politics of ooo feeling good
The politics of moving
Is this message understood?
:P
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And...it's official. NBA Moves All-Star Game out of Charlotte Over HB2.

Hope McCrory is happy. He just cost the state approximately $6 million in revenue so he could dictate where people pee - not counting the enormous legal costs it's going to cost to fight this out with the federal government. Fucking guy should be tarred, feathered, and run out of the state on a rail.

McCrory's response:
“The sports and entertainment elite, Attorney General Roy Cooper and the liberal media have for months misrepresented our laws...
Nope, they're pretty clear.
...and maligned the people of North Carolina simply because most people believe boys and girls should be able to use school bathrooms, locker rooms and showers without the opposite sex present.
False. Poll after poll has shown that a majority of North Carolinians are AGAINST HB2. And saying a transgender person who identifies with a certain sex is the "opposite sex" shows his stunning ignorance on the issue.
Twenty-one other states have joined North Carolina to challenge the federal overreach by the Obama administration mandating their bathroom policies in all businesses and schools instead of allowing accommodations for unique circumstances.
In other words, a majority of states in the country do not give a fuck where people pee. And I'm puzzled at what a "unique circumstance" would be that would allow McCrory to allow an exception for the Pee Pee Police to wave someone through.
Left-wing special interest groups have no moral authority to try and intimidate the large majority of American parents who agree in common-sense bathroom and shower privacy for our children.
Do I look like a left-wing special interest group? I'm a card carrying Republican (until this shit). And again, "large majority" is a bald-faced LIE. At BEST, he can cherry pick some isolated phone polls that show support, but none show a "large majority."
American families should be on notice that the selective corporate elite are imposing their political will on communities in which they do business, thus bypassing the democratic and legal process.”
FEAR FEAR TERROR! THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR CHILDREN. What a piece of work.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I enjoy that he thinks he speaks for America while America keeps kicking him.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I am entertained and sickened by watching the party of individual liberty and personal responsibility completely vilify private companies and citizens using free speech and free market repurcussions. It makes the whole thing such a farce.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Enough

Post by Enough »

OMG, the stupid, it burns. A high school has decided it has the perfect solution for the schools/bathroom issue (that really isn't an issue). Let's make all those scary transgendereds wear brightly colored "badge of shame" arm bands so they are more easy to monitor at the bathroom. Nope, nothing weird at all about that, errrr....

To be clear, this thank god isn't the arm band they are being asked to wear but seriously didn't they think of how this would feel to those asked to wear them?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Enough wrote:but seriously didn't they think of how this would feel to those asked to wear them?
People that believe this way are incapable of empathy. Just look at all the Pat McCrory quotes I've posted in this thread - there is absolutely no regard whatsoever for the people he is impacting. He's got it in his head that something is right, and all the forces of the universe will not dissuade him or make him look at it from another angle.

His response to the NBA All-Star Game pulling out of Charlotte? "Politically correct B.S." That's it. That's his reply to costing the state 6 million dollars.

We are facing a very real struggle with stupid people, and it's scary because they have numbers.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote:We are facing a very real struggle with stupid people, and it's scary because they have numbers.
We could try to pass a law to force them to wear colored wrist bands in public. If nothing else, it will make them easier to spot.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

Couldn't we just make them wear one of those Clockwork Orange noses?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

We should just close all restrooms and set up port-a-potties instead. Then everyone can be equally miserable.

On a side note who the heck puts the toilet paper dispenser in the same space that should be occupied by your left or right knee? Are they just plain stupid? You'd think the ADA would be all up in their crap? Yes, that's right Wawa I'm talking about you. Not even mentioning having to go get the TP from the clerk, and then finding that there's no soap. Yuck!
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Or you could, you know, not give a crap about this and let everything work itself out like it has for centuries.

It's like governor screwtop just found out that transgenders were in the washroom with him and/or his wife for decades and now he has a vendetta against them for their "deception".
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Enough wrote:OMG, the stupid, it burns. A high school has decided it has the perfect solution for the schools/bathroom issue (that really isn't an issue). Let's make all those scary transgendereds wear brightly colored "badge of shame" arm bands so they are more easy to monitor at the bathroom. Nope, nothing weird at all about that, errrr....

To be clear, this thank god isn't the arm band they are being asked to wear but seriously didn't they think of how this would feel to those asked to wear them?
On Wisconsin!

Seriously, do these people have no idea what kind of history they are repeating?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

What is extremely sad is that this doesn't surprise me in the least.

What awful things we are doing to people.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

GreenGoo wrote:Or you could, you know, not give a crap about this and let everything work itself out like it has for centuries.

It's like governor screwtop just found out that transgenders were in the washroom with him and/or his wife for decades and now he has a vendetta against them for their "deception".
So much this. It's not like transgenders just suddenly popped up out of nowhere. They've been here all this time and people just didn't give a shit about it until now, for some unknown reason.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

They've been here all this time and people just didn't give a shit about it until now, for some unknown reason.
At least in the case of HB2, it came about because the city of Charlotte passed an ordinance explicitly allowing people to use a restroom according to their gender identity. This pissed McCrory and state Republicans off so bad that they negated it with HB2.

It's infuriating because Charlotte wasn't passing an ordinance allowing anything that wasn't already happening; they were just affirming that someone could not be discriminated against doing what they had been doing all along.

No matter how McCrory likes to spin it, it was a blatant knee-jerk reaction to an ordinance banning discrimination. And McCrory didn't like the idea of being banned from discriminating against people. He's a loathsome shit-stain of a human being, and basically destroyed all respect I had for the Republican party. So msduncan, et al you can blame McCrory for not only screwing over the people of NC, but for forcing me to change my political affiliation. That's the level of asshole he is.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Their answer is that you were obviously a RINO anyway, so good riddance.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

McCrory continued his descent into driving me mad by joking about restrooms at a Trump rally. Because when your discriminatory, unnecessary policy has cost your state millions of dollars in lost revenue and jobs and embroiled your state in a costly lawsuit with the federal government, you just gotta laugh, right?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DOE and DOJ are walking a fine line:
The U.S. Justice Department in legal filings said the policies are recommendations that do not have the force of law, and the plaintiffs, including 13 states led by Texas, have no standing to request an injunction to suspend them.

The U.S. government’s directive, issued in May, said public schools must allow transgender students to use bathrooms that correspond with their gender identity, as opposed to their birth gender, or face federal funding loss.
[The states] say in a court filing the Obama administration, using thinly veiled threats and systematic inspections, has “quietly been in enforcement mode at a micro level, sowing the seeds for macro results.”

The states argue they could lose billions of dollars in federal funds for education if they fail to comply. Ten other states have also sued over the guidelines, bringing the total to 23.

The U.S. Education and Justice Departments said in the letter sent to school districts nationwide that while its guidance carried no legal weight, they must not discriminate against students, including based on their gender identity.

“Plaintiffs have identified no enforcement action threatened or taken against them as a result of defendants’ interpretations, nor have they established that the guidance documents have any binding legal effect,” the U.S. Justice Department said in its filing ahead of Friday’s hearing.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

A different kind of bathroom politics in NC:
Megan Davies, North Carolina’s chief epidemiologist, resigned this week in the latest bit of drama over drinking water safety — drama that involves the state’s biggest utility and the administration of Republican Gov. Pat McCrory. Davies, who accused state officials of deliberately misleading residents, gives up her post of seven years and an $188,000 annual salary.

The story begins in 2014, when a Duke Energy power plant spilled 40,000 tons of toxic coal ash and 27 million gallons of wastewater into the Dan River. The ash is a byproduct of burning coal, and it’s harmful to people and ecosystems, containing silica, mercury, cadmium, and arsenic.

In the aftermath of the spill, public concern grew over Duke’s 32 coal ash storage sites around the state. Many of them were revealed to be unprotected, sitting in unlined basins — just heaps of coal ash in giant pits, leaching toxic elements and a carcinogen called hexavalent chromium into the water table.

Soon after, hundreds of households near the storage sites were told by state officials not to drink from their wells due to concerns over water quality. In April 2015, Duke Energy began providing bottled water to those homes.

The do-not-drink order, however, didn’t last. A year after warning residents that their well water wasn’t safe, representatives from the state’s Department of Environmental Quality and the Department of Health and Human Services changed their minds, writing to the impacted households that their water was actually fine.

Testing, however, showed that well water near the coal ash sites still had levels of hexavalent chromium higher than in the municipal water supply. And Duke Energy, it turned out, had lobbied the state to reverse the do-not-drink order, even though nothing about most of the storage sites had changed. There were still unlined coal ash sites dotting the state, and there were still toxins in the water.
Hexavalent Chromium is what Erin Brockovich was all about, if you recall...

Charlotte Observer article if you prefer.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
A federal judge in Fort Worth has blocked the Obama administration from enforcing rules requiring public schools to let transgender students use bathrooms and locker rooms that conform to their gender identity.

Responding to a lawsuit filed by Texas and joined by 12 other states, U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor issued a preliminary injunction late Sunday, ruling that the directive violated federal notice and comment requirements and contradicted existing law and regulations.

The injunction applies nationwide, but O’Connor said states that have chosen to accommodate transgender students “will not be impacted.”
The injunction was issued hours before most Texas public students began the 2016-17 school year.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said Monday that he was pleased that O’Connor “ruled against the Obama administration’s latest illegal federal overreach.”
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Let me get this straight, a transgender born as a male but identifies as a female, going to a public school, is supposed to go into the boys room, hike up her skit and pee in a urinal. What could possibly go wrong?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Scottsman have been doing it for centuries.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, and they've been brawling about it just as long.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

NCAA just moved 7 championship events out of NC because of HB2, including the first and second rounds of the NCAA basketball tourney in 2017.

Add another "thats gotta hurt" to the pile.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Cooper's currently ahead by 6 points on that sack of shit. So hopefully come November NC can return to the 21st century and stop hemorrhaging money from this stupid law.

Even if you believe wholeheartedly that transgender issues don't matter and that boys should be boys and girls should be girls, you would think at some point your devotion would be to the state above your own twisted moral compass. It just goes to show McCrory doesn't give a damn about North Carolina or anyone but himself.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Malificent wrote:There is a thread not too far down that mentions that the Pentagon is lifting the ban on transgender troops. So hey, you can give your life for your country, but we're still going to need to check ID before you can go to the bathroom.
I'd put that down to the fact that it must be getting a bit hard to recruit troops that know this administration and Hillary's if she has one won't have their back. :ninja:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We probably should have stopped Bush from starting multiple wars in that case.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If anyone wants to know (particularly my conservative friends) why I dropped out of the Republican party, it's because of statements like this:
Dallas Woodhouse, the Executive Director for the North Carolina Republican Party (NCGOP), said the move was "so absurd it's almost comical."

"Under the NCAA's logic, colleges should end all women's sports and merge them with the men's teams, should make cheerleaders and football players share bathrooms, showers and hotel rooms," Woodhouse continued. "This decision without logic clearly puts women's sports and athletic scholarships for women at risk. If you can't have a women's rest room how do you have a women's team?"

NCGOP spokesperson Kami Mueller added to Woodhouse's statement, saying "I wish the NCAA was this concerned about the women who were raped at Baylor. Perhaps the NCAA should stop with their political peacocking— and instead focus their energies on making sure our nation’s collegiate athletes are safe, both on and off the field.”
I've never, and I mean never, in 24 years of being eligible to vote, been this angry over a political issue or towards one politician. Not even Bill Clinton, when I was in the most fiery right-wing passions of my youth, stirred my ire more than this set of Republicans.

I will not subject my kids to that kind of thinking and those kinds of discriminatory laws. I will not support that in any way, shape, or form. If that means never casting another Republican vote, even at the expense of economic policies I favor, then so be it. This is not the "liberal media" saying Republicans are discriminatory. This is not a conspiracy theory. This is real life - these people are writing into law things that discriminate against people. This set of yahoos already got busted on redrawing districts to discriminate against African-Americans.
stessier

Post by stessier »

YellowKing wrote: NCGOP spokesperson Kami Mueller added to Woodhouse's statement, saying "I wish the NCAA was this concerned about the women who were raped at Baylor. ”
[/quote]

I have to say, this part of the quote is pretty much spot on. It goes off the rails from there, of course.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

stessier wrote:
YellowKing wrote: NCGOP spokesperson Kami Mueller added to Woodhouse's statement, saying "I wish the NCAA was this concerned about the women who were raped at Baylor. ”
I have to say, this part of the quote is pretty much spot on. It goes off the rails from there, of course.
Of course, the implication here is bat-shit insane. Women were raped at Baylor, one of the largest Baptist colleges in the world, because of their restroom policies?

There also seems to be some weird and rancid idea among some in the GOP that proximity between the sexes inevitably leads to rape (see Trumps comments on sexual assault in the military).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I love how they trot out "logic" or lack thereof when defending this law, when the law itself fails every test of logic.

There's this weird notion that if they repeal HB2, men and women will suddenly start using each other's restrooms willy-nilly. When in fact before HB2, this never occurred. Repealing a law that didn't exist before isn't going to change the behavior of people BEFORE the law was passed.

Unfortunately they've successfully portrayed this law as something that - should it be repealed - is allowing something to take place that never took place before. When in fact the exact opposite is true.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Captain Caveman wrote:
stessier wrote:
Of course, the implication here is bat-shit insane. Women were raped at Baylor, one of the largest Baptist colleges in the world, because of their restroom policies?
I didn't see that as the implication at all - like that never even crossed my mind. It was just a statement that the NCAA is pulling games because of bathrooms where no one is currently physically hurt and doing nothing to punish Baylor where people were actually hurt.

Now that you've said it, I guess that might have been what he meant, but I don't know that the average person would pick up on it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

YellowKing wrote:I love how they trot out "logic" or lack thereof when defending this law, when the law itself fails every test of logic.

There's this weird notion that if they repeal HB2, men and women will suddenly start using each other's restrooms willy-nilly. When in fact before HB2, this never occurred. Repealing a law that didn't exist before isn't going to change the behavior of people BEFORE the law was passed.

Unfortunately they've successfully portrayed this law as something that - should it be repealed - is allowing something to take place that never took place before. When in fact the exact opposite is true.
We are just over the border so get some commercials aimed at the Ashville area and he has clearly chosen this hill to die on. There was one commercial saying something like "Not on my watch" and went on to detail how the person was going to keep boys out of the girls bathroom. I was making dinner and just listening and shook my head and ask my wife "NC bathroom thing, right?" and she said "Yep, that's the governor." I was floored - I can't imagine the Ashville area being receptive to that at all - why even run it?!?

Of course Trump also held a rally there yesterday, so maybe my perception of that area is just off.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

stessier wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Of course Trump also held a rally there yesterday, so maybe my perception of that area is just off.
Nope, your perception is right. Asheville rivals Chapel Hill as the most liberal town in the state, and increasingly is one of the more liberal towns in the country.

Trump has deliberately gone to these kinds of liberal areas-- when he came to Texas last week, he chose to go to Austin-- I think in part because it increases the chance for protests that help reinforce the need for his "law and order" persona.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

stessier wrote:It was just a statement that the NCAA is pulling games because of bathrooms where no one is currently physically hurt and doing nothing to punish Baylor where people were actually hurt.
This is a common tactic. Distract from the actual problem by pointing out some kind of hypocrisy elsewhere. They did the same thing by pointing out that artists who had canceled concerts due to HB2 had played in years past in some country with human rights issues. As if everything in the world is binary, and if you don't do A then you have no right to do B. It's a bunch of smoke and mirrors (just as their common refrain of the words "logic" and "liberal media.") It's all designed to distract you from the fact that they're discriminating against a bunch of innocent people for no reason.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Following on the heels of the NCAA, the ACC is now pulling all of its neutral site championships out of NC for 2016-17:

- Women's soccer
- Football
- Men's and women's swimming and diving
- Women's basketball
- Men's and women's tennis
- Men's and women's golf
- Baseball

It was a little unclear from the article I read, but it also sounds like the ACC football championship will be moved, with an estimated economic impact of 32.4 million dollars. Reading comprehension fail - I listed football.

I don't think I've seen a governor in our lifetime hurt the state more than McCrory has. FOR NO REASON other than he doesn't want to say he was wrong.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.