Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

College students and their safe space

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
Scraper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:59 pm

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Scraper » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:32 pm

I just read an article where the current late teens, early 20s generation is being called the marshmallow generation, because they are so soft and can't take any form of criticism or dissenting opinion. I think it fits.

There are probably a ton of reasons for the behavior but I would bet that the wide spread use of helicopter parenting is finally showing it's side effects in young adults.
FTE

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 37823
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by hepcat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Every generation considers the last one weak and soft. At some point later in our lives, we all turn into Klingons, apparently.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 15826
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by coopasonic » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:07 pm

hepcat wrote:Every generation considers the last one weak and soft.
But this time we're right! :horse:
-Coop

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 37823
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by hepcat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:08 pm

My dad wants to fight you, wuss boy.

:tjg:
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 15826
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by coopasonic » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:21 pm

Your dad might want to pick someone softer and weaker. Try hepcat.
-Coop

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7557
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Max Peck » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:25 pm

coopasonic wrote:
hepcat wrote:Every generation considers the last next one weak and soft.
But this time we're right! :horse:
FTFY

At any rate, all I know is that if you're not about the same age as someone who stormed the beaches at Normandy, your generation ain't all that great.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6149
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by msteelers » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Get off my lawn, you damn marshmallows!
There they are, those preening narcissists who have to document every banal moment with their cutting-edge communications technology.
Spoiler:
That's from a magazine dated 1985.
Or this one:
They have trouble making decisions. They would rather hike in the Himalayas than climb a corporate ladder… They crave entertainment, but their attention span is as short as one zap of a TV dial…
Spoiler:
That's from a magazine dated 1990.

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 15826
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by coopasonic » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 pm

"TV dial"?

WTF?

Damn old people.
-Coop

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 37823
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by hepcat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Max Peck wrote:
hepcat wrote:Every generation considers the last next one weak and soft.
FTFY
Whoops, that is correct.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
geezer
Posts: 7319
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Yeeha!

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by geezer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:54 pm

msteelers wrote:
Or this one:
They have trouble making decisions. They would rather hike in the Himalayas than climb a corporate ladder… They crave entertainment, but their attention span is as short as one zap of a TV dial…
Spoiler:
That's from a magazine dated 1990.
Right - talking about Gen X. Honestly I wouldn't quibble with that generalization. Beyond the "they don't want to pay their dues" complaint that I will concede seems to be generic and universal, the specific criticisms of my generation (as noted above), and the "marshmallows" seem to be widely, if not individual specifically, somewhat accurate.

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7557
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Max Peck » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:56 pm

hepcat wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
hepcat wrote:Every generation considers the last next one weak and soft.
FTFY
Whoops, that is correct.
The alternative interpretation is "last" as in "final" in which case the whole "weak and soft" assessment is sort of self-evident -- but moot.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 20824
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Holman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Apparently Germans do it better.
Indeed, 71 percent of German women and 83 percent of men between ages 18–24 live at home. Once they near their thirties, those numbers plunge—to 9 percent of women and 18 of men—but that’s because almost half of that demographic is married or cohabitating, compared to 31.6 percent of their American counterparts.

German adults routinely live at home until they settle down with a partner. Yes, this saves money. And yes, saving money is praktisch, or practical, the Germans’ highest compliment, so it’s no surprise they do it this way. But still—living at home isn’t some new trend that surfaced with Merkel austerity, it’s a long-established custom. And strangely, most of these German young people are functioning adults, and neither they nor their parents are in a shame spiral about their living arrangements.

First off, German parents don’t seem to have the obsession with “reclaiming” their home from their children that Americans do. This is because they live with their adult children—prepare to be shocked—in the same way they’d live with any other adults in a Wohngemeinschaft, a nice long German word for “flat share” that literally translates to “living community.” Young adults are expected to pick up after themselves, do some or most of their own shopping, and if they’re earning money, contribute to the rent or other household expenses. Perhaps many American parents bemoan the continued encroachment of their nests simply because they don’t know how to stop treating their children like children.

...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7557
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Max Peck » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:42 am

Enlarge Image
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Moliere » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Univ. of Chicago pushes back on trigger warnings, safe spaces
Welcome and congratulations on your acceptance to the college at the University of Chicago. Earning a place in our community of scholars is no small achievement and we are delighted that you selected Chicago to continue your intellectual journey.

Once here you will discover that one of the University of Chicago’s defining characteristics is our commitment to freedom of inquiry and expression. … Members of our community are encouraged to speak, write, listen, challenge, and learn, without fear of censorship. Civility and mutual respect are vital to all of us, and freedom of expression does not mean the freedom to harass or threaten others. You will find that we expect members of our community to be engaged in rigorous debate, discussion, and even disagreement. At times this may challenge you and even cause discomfort.
...
Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so called ‘trigger warnings,’ we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
geezer
Posts: 7319
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Yeeha!

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by geezer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Moliere wrote:Univ. of Chicago pushes back on trigger warnings, safe spaces
Welcome and congratulations on your acceptance to the college at the University of Chicago. Earning a place in our community of scholars is no small achievement and we are delighted that you selected Chicago to continue your intellectual journey.

Once here you will discover that one of the University of Chicago’s defining characteristics is our commitment to freedom of inquiry and expression. … Members of our community are encouraged to speak, write, listen, challenge, and learn, without fear of censorship. Civility and mutual respect are vital to all of us, and freedom of expression does not mean the freedom to harass or threaten others. You will find that we expect members of our community to be engaged in rigorous debate, discussion, and even disagreement. At times this may challenge you and even cause discomfort.
...
Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so called ‘trigger warnings,’ we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.
Good Lord, this is embarrassing:
...Similarly, many universities are creating “safe spaces” where students can relax free from ideas that might be stressful or anxiety-inducing. Among these is Brown University, which last year created a room “with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies” because a debate on sexual assault was taking place on campus.
More on this, from NYT
The safe space, Ms. Byron explained, was intended to give people who might find comments “troubling” or “triggering,” a place to recuperate. The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies, as well as students and staff members trained to deal with trauma. Emma Hall, a junior, rape survivor and “sexual assault peer educator” who helped set up the room and worked in it during the debate, estimates that a couple of dozen people used it. At one point she went to the lecture hall — it was packed — but after a while, she had to return to the safe space. “I was feeling bombarded by a lot of viewpoints that really go against my dearly and closely held beliefs,” Ms. Hall said.
Teh horror. The thing is, I fully understand how something like that could be traumatic for a rape survivor, but can we deal with it appropriately - having counselors available or a hotline or something - instead of a regression to the womb where everything is fuzzy and warm? Jeebus.

User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 9577
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by wonderpug » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Scraper wrote:I just read an article where the current late teens, early 20s generation is being called the marshmallow generation, because they are so soft and can't take any form of criticism or dissenting opinion. I think it fits.
I have a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old, and just recently I unearthed some of my own childhood toys to share with them. One thing they latched onto was this old Fisher Price barn I had, specifically this grumpy kid character in the red hat:
Image

They were really drawn to him, and were both more interested in playing with him than all the other characters. "Can I have a turn with the angry kid?" "The angry kid isn't letting anyone play with his toys." It was fascinating.

It made my wife and I think for a bit and realize that this was more or less the first toy they've seen that doesn't have a happy dappy giant smile on its face, or at least the first with something more negative than a neutral expression. Heaven forbid modern toys expose my children to these other emotions. Everyone is supposed to be ridiculously happy, 100% of the time, right?

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Moliere » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:56 pm

wonderpug wrote:Everyone is supposed to be ridiculously happy, 100% of the time, right?
Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11444
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by ImLawBoy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:16 pm

My kids have grumps like Eeyore, FWIW.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 9577
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by wonderpug » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:50 pm

ImLawBoy wrote:My kids have grumps like Eeyore, FWIW.
Even Eeyore toys are smiling more often than not these days.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13662
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Zarathud » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:46 pm

University of Chicago is where fun goes to die.

If a bunch of college kids want to throw a baby party while the adults are having a discussion, fine. That's no different than the frat saying "Don't take Prof. Hardass, take Basket Weaving and get drink at the house instead."
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 33809
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Kraken » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Scraper wrote:I just read an article where the current late teens, early 20s generation is being called the marshmallow generation, because they are so soft and can't take any form of criticism or dissenting opinion. I think it fits.

There are probably a ton of reasons for the behavior but I would bet that the wide spread use of helicopter parenting is finally showing it's side effects in young adults.
Huh, I would swear I wrote almost exactly that same post a month or two ago but forum search says Nope. Fully agree, anyway. Now that the Millennials are nominally adults we need to call the next generation something and Marshmallows sounds just right.

User avatar
tjg_marantz
Posts: 14607
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Queen City, SK

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by tjg_marantz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:13 pm

Zarathud wrote:University of Chicago is where fun goes to die.

If a bunch of college kids want to throw a baby party while the adults are having a discussion, fine. That's no different than the frat saying "Don't take Prof. Hardass, take Basket Weaving and get drink at the house instead."
They haven't banned safe spaces, the grown babies are free to hold their cuddle parties.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

User avatar
em2nought
Posts: 3301
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:48 am

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by em2nought » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:36 am

geezer wrote:The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies, as well as students and staff members trained to deal with trauma. Emma Hall, a junior, rape survivor and “sexual assault peer educator” who helped set up the room and worked in it during the debate, estimates that a couple of dozen people used it. Jeebus.
So Play-Doh is important after all. LOL :wink:
wonderpug wrote:Everyone is supposed to be ridiculously happy, 100% of the time, right?
Worked for Rosemary Kennedy. :doh:
Waiting for the tide to bring me a sail.

User avatar
Combustible Lemur
Posts: 3695
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: houston, TX
Contact:

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Combustible Lemur » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:53 pm

geezer wrote:
Moliere wrote:Univ. of Chicago pushes back on trigger warnings, safe spaces
Welcome and congratulations on your acceptance to the college at the University of Chicago. Earning a place in our community of scholars is no small achievement and we are delighted that you selected Chicago to continue your intellectual journey.

Once here you will discover that one of the University of Chicago’s defining characteristics is our commitment to freedom of inquiry and expression. … Members of our community are encouraged to speak, write, listen, challenge, and learn, without fear of censorship. Civility and mutual respect are vital to all of us, and freedom of expression does not mean the freedom to harass or threaten others. You will find that we expect members of our community to be engaged in rigorous debate, discussion, and even disagreement. At times this may challenge you and even cause discomfort.
...
Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so called ‘trigger warnings,’ we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.
Good Lord, this is embarrassing:
...Similarly, many universities are creating “safe spaces” where students can relax free from ideas that might be stressful or anxiety-inducing. Among these is Brown University, which last year created a room “with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies” because a debate on sexual assault was taking place on campus.
More on this, from NYT
The safe space, Ms. Byron explained, was intended to give people who might find comments “troubling” or “triggering,” a place to recuperate. The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies, as well as students and staff members trained to deal with trauma. Emma Hall, a junior, rape survivor and “sexual assault peer educator” who helped set up the room and worked in it during the debate, estimates that a couple of dozen people used it. At one point she went to the lecture hall — it was packed — but after a while, she had to return to the safe space. “I was feeling bombarded by a lot of viewpoints that really go against my dearly and closely held beliefs,” Ms. Hall said.
Teh horror. The thing is, I fully understand how something like that could be traumatic for a rape survivor, but can we deal with it appropriately - having counselors available or a hotline or something - instead of a regression to the womb where everything is fuzzy and warm? Jeebus.
It's a weird thing. I totally understand the idea. There have been times when I would have liked to offer that to some of my highschool students rather than have them listen to people who don't know what they're talking about speak as authorities. However unless the debate is mandatory why is someone making an official space for this?, Color in your room. Second, I think some of the ridiculousness comes from excitment.
A:Let's make a space where people who are freaked out can chill for a minute.
B:Cool what if we tossed in some coloring books?
A:Shit yeah! I'd rather color than listen to assholes .
B:How 'bout pillows and puppies? I have both in my room.
A:Cool, I'll hook up my super cool easy listening mix! You gotta have jams.

C:.... why are you two doing all this stuff? It's a room, that's quiet.


A&B:Well, we just want this safe space to be awesome. Why are you hateful and lazy?


C:.... walking away slowly.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.

Jeff V
Posts: 31238
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Jeff V » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Kraken wrote:
Scraper wrote:I just read an article where the current late teens, early 20s generation is being called the marshmallow generation, because they are so soft and can't take any form of criticism or dissenting opinion. I think it fits.

There are probably a ton of reasons for the behavior but I would bet that the wide spread use of helicopter parenting is finally showing it's side effects in young adults.
Huh, I would swear I wrote almost exactly that same post a month or two ago but forum search says Nope. Fully agree, anyway. Now that the Millennials are nominally adults we need to call the next generation something and Marshmallows sounds just right.
My 3-year old immediately starts crying or goes into a tantrum whenever I say "no" or anything negative at all. He certainly didn't get that from me or his mother and he is never rewarded for such behavior. :x

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Moliere » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Part IV: Yale Students and Nicholas Kristachis

I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry when I see these students accost administrators about safe spaces.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 33809
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Kraken » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Do you know how to drive a Millennial insane?
Spoiler:
Put a trigger warning on her safe space.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39396
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:16 pm

While not a safe-space issue, our state university is experiencing extended power outages on one of the larger residential campuses. It started last night at some point and power has been on and off (more off than on) for the last 24 hours. It's absolutely a big deal but the parents of the impacted students are clogging up the university Facebook page to talk about how scared their "kids" are and how they're driving to the college to pick up their "kids" because not having power is unacceptable. Or they're posting about how rude the campus police office is when the parents call and ask for updates to the power situation.

You want to know how safe spaces happen? When you continue to coddle 18+ year olds like they're six.

User avatar
geezer
Posts: 7319
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Yeeha!

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by geezer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:44 pm

Moliere wrote:Part IV: Yale Students and Nicholas Kristachis

I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry when I see these students accost administrators about safe spaces.
There's really no other way to put it - some of those kids are giant, arrogant, assholes.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 37823
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by hepcat » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:52 pm

They're college students. I remember when I was their age. I acted like a dick too.

But eventually I grew up and...

...well...became an older dick.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 33809
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Kraken » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Moliere wrote:Part IV: Yale Students and Nicholas Kristachis

I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry when I see these students accost administrators about safe spaces.
I have no context for this video. What horrible offense did this monster commit?

User avatar
tjg_marantz
Posts: 14607
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Queen City, SK

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by tjg_marantz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Kraken wrote:
Moliere wrote:Part IV: Yale Students and Nicholas Kristachis

I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry when I see these students accost administrators about safe spaces.
I have no context for this video. What horrible offense did this monster commit?
His wife disagreed with some of the school policies about prohibiting certain outfits during a Halloween party. He wrote an email in support of her disagreement. That fucker.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 33809
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Kraken » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:21 pm

tjg_marantz wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Moliere wrote:Part IV: Yale Students and Nicholas Kristachis

I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry when I see these students accost administrators about safe spaces.
I have no context for this video. What horrible offense did this monster commit?
His wife disagreed with some of the school policies about prohibiting certain outfits during a Halloween party. He wrote an email in support of her disagreement. That fucker.
Oh. Well then, I...um, :facepalm:

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 pm

I remember when I thought trivial shit was important too.

I don't recall acting like that, but I'm fairly sure I was just a different flavour of dick, as it were.

In any case, that was embarrassing.

Remember when students protested big things, like Vietnam?

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Moliere » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:28 pm

tjg_marantz wrote:His wife disagreed with some of the school policies about prohibiting certain outfits during a Halloween party. He wrote an email in support of her disagreement. That fucker.
The scary part is how accurate this summary is for those that doubted it. Of course his other sin was disagreeing with students that said his email incited violence. And the students were mad that he didn't memorize all 500 of their names. Oh, and he didn't apologize and genuflect enough for his crimes against the students.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
Grifman
Posts: 17998
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Grifman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 pm

The finger snapping thing is annoying. But it is not the only thing that is annoying here.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Moliere » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:47 pm

Grifman wrote:The finger snapping thing is annoying. But it is not the only thing that is annoying here.
Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:53 pm

Of course the costumes were black faced minstrels but still...

User avatar
tjg_marantz
Posts: 14607
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Queen City, SK

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by tjg_marantz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:09 am

GreenGoo wrote:Of course the costumes were black faced minstrels but still...
Which has no bearing on wether they should be prohibited by the school itself. Not saying that that is what you are saying just clarifying that the student body should shame those people being truly offensive if that is what they want to do. The school should stay out of it.

I specifically took it to the core problem.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:14 am

tjg_marantz wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Of course the costumes were black faced minstrels but still...
Which has no bearing on wether they should be prohibited by the school itself. Not saying that that is what you are saying just clarifying that the student body should shame those people being truly offensive if that is what they want to do. The school should stay out of it.

I specifically took it to the core problem.
Actually, I just made that up.

But schools don't stay out of racist or sexist behaviour. That's not how it works nor how it has worked for decades.

In any case, these kids need to see what actual oppression is. Perhaps their overventing spleens might get some perspective.

Post Reply