Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Brexit

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Brexit

Post by Jaymann »

What about Northern Ireland, are they already out?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Independent
Japan has given Britain just six weeks to sign up to a post-Brexit trade deal or face disruption to its imports and exports.

In the latest sign that the “swashbuckling” drive to sign deals with countries around the world is proving less than straightforward, the UK could lose favourable access to Japanese markets it enjoyed as part of EU membership if no agreement is signed.

UK negotiators also face the prospect of being bounced into a deal on unfavourable terms, as countries like Japan seek to use the reopening of talks to gain further concessions against the UK.

Japanese negotiators this week piled extra pressure on Boris Johnson by accelerating the schedule for a deal, citing a lack of time in their parliamentary calendar.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A long, hilarious thread about a guy who lives next to a British couple's summer home in France, who voted for Brexit and are now screwed and are sending their son to demand satisfaction from the local French mayor. I'm eagerly awaiting the meeting they've set up for later this week.

Just a few of the great tweets:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That story is entertaining, but it seems a little too good to be true.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't follow what is being asked of the Mayor nor what is to be lost by the parents.

Edit: Nevermind - found the full tweet chain (didn't realize that first one had a longer thread under it). Got it now.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

TheMix
Loading…

Post by TheMix »

I had to read pretty far down to find the problem that is apparently at the root of it: that they won't be able to come and go, to use their vacation home, whenever they want. And they definitely won't be able to retire to it in a handful of years. At least not without jumping through hoops. Now there are likely restrictions on the amount of time they can be there as well as visa requirements. Basically, they seemed to think that Brexit meant that they could prevent foreigners from coming to the UK, but that they would still be able to move about freely through the EU.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thank you. I didn't understand but wasn't curious enough to put in the effort to connect any dots.

TheMix
Loading…

Post by TheMix »

LordMortis wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:02 pm
Thank you. I didn't understand but wasn't curious enough to put in the effort to connect any dots.
The thread was pretty entertaining in itself. But it definitely bugged me that I couldn't figure out what initiated everything. :D
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politics
And so on Tuesday it finally began. After four years of hearing how everything would stay the same, things started to change. First, parliament passed the Immigration Bill, which definitively terminated freedom of movement in law. Then, at midnight, the deadline passed for the UK and EU to extend the Brexit transition period. There is now, to all intents and purposes, no going back. We've had the rhetoric, and now comes the reality.
The Immigration Bill was more predictable. It was, after all, the central plank of Brexit and the issue ministers most enjoyed promoting. Sure enough, it passed by a majority of 94 votes in the Commons. MPs even rejected an amendment from Yvette Cooper which sought to preserve the rights of unaccompanied child refugees. And yet, for all the inevitability and cruelty, the vote was still a moment of historic shock. Here was a democratic legislature voting to take away its citizens' rights and those of its closest neighbours and allies. One of the few constants, necessities and joys of human civilisation has been to seek a better life in another place. Since 1973, millions have taken the opportunity to work, study, find love or retire in a place where they were not born. MPs denounced and discarded that freedom, and then celebrated.
On Tuesday alone, while parliament was ending free movement and Johnson was promising investment, major companies announced almost 10,000 job losses. A government which paid basic lip service to caring about its people would act to stem the flow. This one simply blows another stick of dynamite in the dam.