Brexit

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Brexit

Post by malchior »

tru1cy wrote:President Obama basically stated that the UK would effectively go to the back of the line when it comes to trade with the US if they leave.
Obama was just stating what business would do. British access to the single market was a big part of the relationship. Couple that with political and economic uncertainty and Britain has possibly severely damaged its role as a conduit through the City and without for investment and commerce.
hepcat

Re:

Post by hepcat »

cheeba wrote:
malchior wrote:
cheeba wrote:BBC has called it for leave. Turns out shouting, "racists!" at the opposition wasn't a good tactic for Remain. Who knew?
First off it is true
If Americans are going to say shit like that they're going to get Trump elected.
Haven't you heard? There is no racism any more. It's now just considered being politically incorrect...and it's a rallying cry.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I honestly don't know what it's like in Britain/UK. Are nationalism and racism the same thing? That doesn't feel right to me. Probably because in spite of all of the muck, I tend to have pretty strong nationalist feelings unto the fringes of isolationist xenophobia about my country but racism doesn't enter my nationalist equation. I don't know if that's because the US as a nation doesn't go back thousands of isolated years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:I honestly don't know what it's like in Britain/UK. Are nationalism and racism the same thing? That doesn't feel right to me. Probably because in spite of all of the muck, I tend to have pretty strong nationalist feelings unto the fringes of isolationist xenophobia about my country but racism doesn't enter my nationalist equation. I don't know if that's because the US as a nation doesn't go back thousands of isolated years.
The US is technically a nation of immigrants. Nationalism isn't as tied to a single cultural or racial identity at closely as it is in other nations.

UK nationalism isn't necessarily racist but racists have jumped on it as a way of legitimising and mainstreaming their racism.

Just like anti immigration in the US.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Rip

Post by Rip »

Has anyone noticed that Boris Johnson looks like Trump with his hair messed up?

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm going to watch Children of Men tonight to cheer myself up.
PLW

Post by PLW »

All the economists I read were so sure this wouldn't happen that I absolutely should have hedged in my retirement account. One day, I'll learn.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

PLW wrote:All the economists I read were so sure this wouldn't happen that I absolutely should have hedged in my retirement account. One day, I'll learn.
Yep, the markets usually predict such shockwaves in advance and are able to adjust. This time, all predictions were dead wrong.
Holman

Post by Holman »

What are the odds that Parliament will ignore the referendum in the name of saving the economy?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

PLW wrote:All the economists I read were so sure this wouldn't happen that I absolutely should have hedged in my retirement account. One day, I'll learn.
I've been carefully watching my accounts
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Last edited by Defiant on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Dammit, forgot to sell my one British holding in my portfolio yesterday, just in case. Down 13% this morning! :(

Thanks, Obama! (and I say that via Trump: "Donald Trump says that UK's vote to leave the European Union "might have been different" if President Obama had not voiced his support for EU unity.")
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I don't get how predictions were so wrong when it has been stated as too close to call.

I'm sure most of what Obama said was bluster. A new trade agreement will be worked out with the UK. We have years to do it anyways.

The special relationship won't just end because of Obama and Cameron, especially since both are leaving office very soon. Face it the U.S. Would have voted the same way, we have lots in common still.

I'm disappointed by the vote, but devolution has been a theme in Europe even while the EU has continued to increase. It will be interesting to watch this and see what happens.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

cheeba

Post by cheeba »

gbasden wrote:
cheeba wrote: The left has been relying on shouting "racist!" at the opposition for too long and it's no longer working. The remain campaign was awful and its reliance on calling millions of people racist was part of the reason why.
When a huge part of the leave argument was that there were too many brown people in Britain, how do you spin it?
Maybe immigration is a valid concern to some of these people and that they're not evil incarnate for not wanting to take in huge numbers of immigrants from the middle east, especially when countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait aren't taking in any?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

More like stupidity incarnate.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote:
UN hating Fox News knows exactly what they are doing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Stocks only down around 2% so far - that's not so bad (he says foolishly).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote:What are the odds that Parliament will ignore the referendum in the name of saving the economy?

I wonder about this too.
Cameron wrote:"The British people have made the very clear decision to take a different path and as such I think the country requires fresh leadership to take it in this direction," he said Friday in a televised address outside his residence.
But it was like 52-48...that is not a "very clear decision". There is totally a way they could spin this along the lines of "these are the reasons people voted to leave - we have heard them and this is what we are working on within the union to address them." They just need someone with the political will to try. Maybe I'm just jaded because we get stupid results on non-binding referrendums all the time...it doesn't mean we always listen to the result.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:Stocks only down around 2% so far - that's not so bad (he says foolishly).
Spy went from 210 down to 203, where I thought about playing the game. It was back up to 206 last time I checked. We'll see what happens.
PLW

Post by PLW »

LordMortis wrote:
stessier wrote:Stocks only down around 2% so far - that's not so bad (he says foolishly).
Spy went from 210 down to 203, where I thought about playing the game. It was back up to 206 last time I checked. We'll see what happens.
I think the market overreacted., so I bought triple-levered sp500 first thing this morning. Just with play money, though.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

PLW wrote:I think the market overreacted., so I bought triple-levered sp500 first thing this morning. Just with play money, though.
I don't have enough play money to buy at 203. If we dip back into 190 territory, I'll wince and move some savings over if my ability to move money coincides with the dip.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

cheeba wrote:
gbasden wrote:
cheeba wrote: The left has been relying on shouting "racist!" at the opposition for too long and it's no longer working. The remain campaign was awful and its reliance on calling millions of people racist was part of the reason why.
When a huge part of the leave argument was that there were too many brown people in Britain, how do you spin it?
Maybe immigration is a valid concern to some of these people and that they're not evil incarnate for not wanting to take in huge numbers of immigrants from the middle east, especially when countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait aren't taking in any?
Prepare to be called racist by the flock of sheeple. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

cheeba wrote: when countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait aren't taking in any?
There are 500,000 Syrians in Saudi Arabia, according to Nabil Othman, acting regional representative to the Gulf region at the UNHCR.
link

About a quarter of Saudi's population are foreign workers.

(Of course, it's Jordan and Turkey thats got the most)
Last edited by Defiant on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

cheeba wrote:Maybe immigration is a valid concern to some of these people
That would make more sense if we didn't observe that the people most likely to actually deal with immigrants weren't a lot less concerned about immigration. It's always the people that don't really have any connection or interaction with immigrants that seem to be the most terrified.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Chrisoc13 wrote:I'm sure most of what Obama said was bluster. A new trade agreement will be worked out with the UK. We have years to do it anyways.
The United States isn't exactly in a "free trade" sort of mood, and after all the EU-oriented businesses in the UK move to Paris and Berlin, there won't be nearly as much reason to negotiate a great deal with whatever is left of the UK in 2018. The more immediate issue for the imbeciles who voted "Leave" will be convincing Northern Ireland, whose peace agreement relies on the free flow of people, capital, and goods into Ireland that Brexit just threw into disarray, and Scotland not to leave the UK.

Why should Scotland and Northern Ireland be dragged out of the EU by the votes of angry, old Englishmen?
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

cheeba wrote:
gbasden wrote:
It not just the middle East. This isn't just Syria fallout. It's immigrants from India, Africa, and Europe.

The sweet irony is that rich Indians, Africans, and Europeans will be buying up UK real estate on the cheap now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

And, of course, the Indians and most of the Africans are coming in because of the Commonwealth, not the European Union.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Risky click of the day. :coffee:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote:
cheeba wrote:
gbasden wrote:
Prepare to be called racist by the flock of sheeple. :mrgreen:
And the claims of just not being politically correct if you are a racist jackass who wants to pretend you aren't really. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Wow, what a monumentally poor decision by a bunch of old English people.

In addition to talk of leaving the UK in N. Ireland and Scotland, there are also rumblings now in Gibraltar, which voted around 95% to remain, about leaving the UK for Spain.

David Cameron is possibly about to go down in history as the man who caused the UK to break apart all for the hope of a small political advantage.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What next
Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which guides member states wishing to leave the EU, is a vague map towards the exit door.

Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which guides member states wishing to leave the EU, is a vague map towards the exit door.
Once Article 50 is invoked, it could take Britain up to two years to actually leave the EU.

During the two-year negotiation period, EU laws would still apply to the UK.

The UK would continue to participate in other EU business as normal, but it would not participate in internal EU discussions or decisions about its own withdrawal.

Once Article 50 is triggered, the terms of Brexit will be negotiated not by British politicians or diplomats, but by the other 27 nations of the EU.

And, when the members are ready, they will present the British government with a departure agreement on a "take it or leave it" basis.
The EU's 28 European affairs ministers will meet in Luxembourg to lay the groundwork for Brexit talks at the EU summit on June 28-29. Talks start at 12:30 GMT.
On July 1, the Netherlands hands over the EU's six-month rotating presidency to the relatively inexperienced Slovakia, which now must lead the negotiations towards Brexit.

Britain had been due to take the helm at the end of 2017 but will now give that up.

EU civil servants will delay summer holidays to begin the painstaking legal work to bring about Brexit.

The official British divorce from Europe would take at least two years. But EU president Donald Tusk has warned that the whole process of negotiating trade and immigration deals with a non-EU Britain could take seven years in all.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

RunningMn9 wrote:
cheeba wrote:Maybe immigration is a valid concern to some of these people
That would make more sense if we didn't observe that the people most likely to actually deal with immigrants weren't a lot less concerned about immigration. It's always the people that don't really have any connection or interaction with immigrants that seem to be the most terrified.
FWIW, Bostonians seemed plenty concerned in the following NYT piece that I recall reading a few months back:
NYT wrote:BOSTON, England — Workers wearing fluorescent orange clothing picked their way through rows of dark green kale, looking like inmates on a prison farm.

After a long day of labor, which pays the minimum hourly wage, they return to a makeshift camp surrounded by barbed wire and security fences put up by their employer, Staples Vegetables, which supplies supermarkets across Britain and Europe. The pickers, about a thousand of them, are required to scan their fingerprints before entering the grounds.

Many of these men and women are from Eastern Europe. They are in Britain legally under the European Union’s principle of freedom of movement and labor, which allows any citizen of a European Union nation to work in any other member country.

But their presence has caused anxiety and resentment in Boston, a town on the east coast of England that has come to epitomize this country’s rising antagonism toward immigration. The increasing number of foreigners in the country has become a central issue for voters in the June 23 referendum that will determine whether Britain stays in the European Union.

“There are far too many of them,” said Peter Chamberlain, 61, as he sat on a bench recently and watched two Polish men argue loudly in their native language. “I’d accept being less well-off to get the town back.”

Boston, a town of 67,000, experienced a sixfold increase in foreign-born residents from 2001 to 2011, and the non-British population appears to have continued growing in the last five years, official statistics show. The rapid influx has put a strain on housing, jobs, policing, hospitals and schools, which are scrambling to find more teachers of English.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke