Brexit

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gilraen

Re: Brexit

Post by gilraen »

hitbyambulance wrote:i am guessin the Scots, Welsh and Catholics in N. Ireland are not *at all* in favor. i could see if it did succeed, the next Scottish independence vote might happen sooner than later, pass, and rejoin the EU.
It seems like the more rural parts of N.Ireland are all voting to leave - the Belfast vote is more toward staying. Not sure why (I know some about NI history but certainly not enough).
Last edited by gilraen on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geezer

Post by geezer »

"leave" seems to be outperforming expectations. This populist/nationalist stuff really needs to stop.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The biggest own goal in modern history is happening right now. I'm really quite surprised. Europe is really tearing itself apart. Oh and there will be a hell of a sell off tomorrow. The pound is free falling right now. Down about 10% in Asia.
malchior

Post by malchior »

SNP is already claiming a constitutional crisis and Sinn Fein is calling for Irish reunifucation. This is nuts.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Plucky English are getting the f$#% out, who'd have thought. Up Nationalism! Gold is soaring, fiat currency is plummeting! :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4

Fill in that channel tunnel! :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Psst. Hey, Humanity. You're backsliding.

Quit it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
geezer

Post by geezer »

Blackhawk wrote:Psst. Hey, Humanity. You're backsliding.

Quit it.
This is what decades of fearmongering, tribalist media, and those that take advantage of it to further personal power has done. Idiots.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ironic that the United Kingdom is failing to see the benefit of being in a union.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Apparently England missed the part where they are taking a giant shit on the world economy.

Hopefully they don't miss Scotland too much, they don't get to keep it much longer.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

BBC has called it for leave. Turns out shouting, "racists!" at the opposition wasn't a good tactic for Remain. Who knew?
geezer

Post by geezer »

gilraen wrote:Apparently England missed the part where they are taking a giant shit on the world economy.

Hopefully they don't miss Scotland too much, they don't get to keep it much longer.
That's the thing though. People that think like this are, if I'm being charitable, to stupid to realize that it's going to blow back on them eventually. If I'm not being charitable, I'd say that they just don't give a damn and are happy to burn it all down because their whiny selves feel like they got a bad deal because immigrants, or liberals, or the UN or the EU or some other nonsensical but rage-fueled bs.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Looks like England gets the chance to be Great Again™ first.

Not buying the doom and gloom.

I think it will work out fine for them.

:flags-wavegreatbritain:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rip wrote: :flags-wavegreatbritain:
OK, I'll bite. You do know that's not *England's* flag, right? ;)
malchior

Post by malchior »

cheeba wrote:BBC has called it for leave. Turns out shouting, "racists!" at the opposition wasn't a good tactic for Remain. Who knew?
First off it is true and second did it really make a difference. This isn't even close.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Market circuit breaker in Tokyo just tripped. Ugly as hell. I'm gonna be at an exchange in the morning...should be interesting.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Wow, buckle your seat belts. Was also just reading up on the market reaction, and shit is about to get real.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

gilraen wrote:
Rip wrote: :flags-wavegreatbritain:
OK, I'll bite. You do know that's not *England's* flag, right? ;)
malchior

Post by malchior »

There were a lot of Remain bets...the unwind will be sharp. US futures have been worsening for a few hours now.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Rip wrote:Looks like England gets the chance to be Great Again™ first.

I have a feeling this is a quote we'll be seeing reposted in the future.

I know you don't really care, but, respectfully, you are full of shit.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:Market circuit breaker in Tokyo just tripped. Ugly as hell. I'm gonna be at an exchange in the morning...should be interesting.
Dow is down 600 points in futures trading for tomorrow.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote:
Rip wrote:Looks like England gets the chance to be Great Again™ first.

I have a feeling this is a quote we'll be seeing reposted in the future.

I know you don't really care, but, respectfully, you are full of shit.
To be fair he got the England part right. They will be pretty much on their own soon.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Pyperkub wrote:
malchior wrote:Market circuit breaker in Tokyo just tripped. Ugly as hell. I'm gonna be at an exchange in the morning...should be interesting.
Down 720 and falling.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Down 720 and falling.
I hope that's an overreaction.

It's a bad day for the establishment. Remains to be seen if it's a good day for the dispossessed. I am skeptical, if only because days are never good for the dispossessed.

But yeah, in the US it will be spun as an endorsement of Trump (who, I am told, is going to Scotland not to meet with government officials, but to dedicate a golf course).
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

malchior wrote:
cheeba wrote:BBC has called it for leave. Turns out shouting, "racists!" at the opposition wasn't a good tactic for Remain. Who knew?
First off it is true
If Americans are going to say shit like that they're going to get Trump elected.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Can you imagine what is going to happen in the City in a few hours? Might as well throw away any strategic plans and uncertainty will likely reign for months or even years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

cheeba wrote:
malchior wrote:
First off it is true
If Americans are going to say shit like that they're going to get Trump elected.
Bullshit. This is complete and utter bullshit. Being called racists didn't drive 2 million more votes to Leave. It was because they were *actually* racists.

Edit: Obviously not every single voter...but the leave campaign had a lot of racist / nationalist overtones.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote:
cheeba wrote:
malchior wrote:
First off it is true
Bullshit. This is complete and utter bullshit. Being called racists didn't drive 2 million more votes to Leave. It was because they were *actually* racists.
No, no, no. Weren't you listening to the UKIP leader's "victory" speech? They were "ordinary people, real people, decent people!"
malchior

Post by malchior »

UKIP now to be known as just the IP or maybe the Recession Party?

In other news Dow futures bottom out on the CME. Where the actual bottom will be today...nobody knows.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

malchior wrote:
cheeba wrote:
malchior wrote:
First off it is true

Edit: Obviously not every single voter...but the leave campaign had a lot of racist / nationalist overtones.
The left has been relying on shouting "racist!" at the opposition for too long and it's no longer working. The remain campaign was awful and its reliance on calling millions of people racist was part of the reason why.
Enlarge Image
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The prices on gamesplanetuk.com just got better.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

S&P has now announced that Britain will most likely lose its AAA credit rating.

Multiple currency exchange bureaus in Britain suspended their services as GBP hit a 30-year low.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

cheeba wrote:
malchior wrote:
cheeba wrote:
malchior wrote:
First off it is true

The left has been relying on shouting "racist!" at the opposition for too long and it's no longer working. The remain campaign was awful and its reliance on calling millions of people racist was part of the reason why.
Enlarge Image
Yeah, that's right. Britain voted itself out of the Euro just to spite everyone calling them racists. "If you call me racist one more time I'm going to jump of this bridge! I swear! '
Zarathud

Brexit

Post by Zarathud »

UK already negotiated so many exceptions to the EU, but this takes the cake. Greece took much harsher medicine to stay. It's a multinational world and European unification was the only way to stay relevant in the world economy. The UK just burned its capital as a world leader and backslides into tribalism. For nothing.

This will also freak out the markets until after the US election in November. If the US votes for Trump and our own trade war, the global economy is fucked.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

51.9 to 48.1 is what I'm seeing...this is not a landslide and not legally binding. I wonder if Cameron doesn't decide to stay anyway. Does anyone know what the breakdown in Parliament is?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Cameron just announced that he'll only be staying until October, and then he'll leave it to the next prime minister to negotiate the actual exit procedures.

Basically he wanted this referendum to "show" the eurosceptic faction of his party that Brits really wanted to stay in the EU. It was a political bet, and he lost...spectacularly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think it will settle out for the best for England.

Wouldn't American have something to gain by jumping in and being the first to support the UK? More trade and such?

Im sure now that the UK voted to leave other EU countries will try to leave.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

cheeba wrote: The left has been relying on shouting "racist!" at the opposition for too long and it's no longer working. The remain campaign was awful and its reliance on calling millions of people racist was part of the reason why.
When a huge part of the leave argument was that there were too many brown people in Britain, how do you spin it?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Down 720 and falling.
I shorted the market yesterday but I still think it's a bad move to leave. They'll be celebrating the fallout for a few days but reality will settle in after a few months as the world moves on.

Taking profits on the short today and using them to buy blue chips at a Brexit discount.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Daehawk wrote:
Wouldn't American have something to gain by jumping in and being the first to support the UK? More trade and such?
President Obama basically stated that the UK would effectively go to the back of the line when it comes to trade with the US if they leave.

Honestly, the "special relationship" the US and the UK will only go so far and Obama and Cameron haven't been the best of friends.

It was probably bluster from Obama but you never know
Last edited by tru1cy on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote:I think it will settle out for the best for England.

No, that's not it how it works. And now they'll have no say in TTIP.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT