Brexit

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Brexit

Post by hepcat »

Careful. The precedent has been set. If the next president is a dem, you may just be told to leave the country if you continue to disparage the ruling class.
Covfefe!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 pm Careful. The precedent has been set. If the next president is a dem, you may just be told to leave the country if you continue to disparage the ruling class.
That's the main difference between our sides I think. Your side likes having a "ruling class", we like having someone who represents "we the people". :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yet another lie Trump got you to believe. :lol:
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:23 am Yet another lie Trump got you to believe. :lol:
Seriously, how dumb do you have to be to believe Trump is a man of the people?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, Trump DID warn them about the dangers of Windmill Cancer. So he obviously cares about his followers.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:19 am Well, Trump DID warn them about the dangers of Windmill Cancer. So he obviously cares about his followers.
People are saying Windmill Cancer is real.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And you'll be able to meet them all in front of Area 51 this weekend.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

em2nought wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:26 am
hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 pm Careful. The precedent has been set. If the next president is a dem, you may just be told to leave the country if you continue to disparage the ruling class.
That's the main difference between our sides I think. Your side likes having a "ruling class", we like having someone who represents "we the people". :think:
To be honest, both sides have ruling classes.

Now here's a question for you - if Trump represents "we the people", then why did the vast majority of his tax cuts go to the super wealthy and corporations? Surely, someone representing "the people" would have targeted their tax cuts, to , you know, the actual people? Can you answer that question for me?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:18 am

Now here's a question for you - if Trump represents "we the people", then why did the vast majority of his tax cuts go to the super wealthy and corporations? Surely, someone representing "the people" would have targeted their tax cuts, to , you know, the actual people? Can you answer that question for me?
Pfft, the people want racism, bigotry and misogyny, not silly tax cuts.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 am

Pfft, the people want racism, bigotry and misogyny, not silly tax cuts.
You forgot extinction.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't think it's so much honest as it is not-stupid.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I doubt many other than the ruling class want a ruling class.

That said, one side sure seems to favor policies that enable a ruling class.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Boris really is the British Trump, right down to being cozy with Russians.

Ex-Russian arms tycoon quietly wields influence in British PM race
A former Russian arms tycoon who had connections at the highest levels of the Kremlin is a major donor to Britain’s ruling Conservative Party and counts himself a friend of the man expected to be the country’s next prime minister.

Alexander Temerko, who forged close ties with the Russian defence ministry and security services in the 1990s, has gifted over £1 million to the Conservatives over the past eight years.

In a series of interviews detailed in a Reuters Special Report here, he spoke warmly about his "friend" Boris Johnson, the leading Brexit campaigner who is frontrunner to become Britain's prime minister in a party leadership contest next week.

Temerko, who revealed himself to be a supporter of Johnson’s bid to lead Britain out of the EU, described how the two men sometimes call each other “Sasha”, the Russian diminutive for Alexander, which is Johnson’s real first name.

He recalled how, at the beginning of Johnson’s 2016-18 tenure as foreign secretary, they would often “plot” late into the evening over a bottle of wine on the balcony of Johnson’s office at parliament.

The insights into Temerko’s former ties with the Moscow government of Vladimir Putin, and his present involvement in UK politics, come at a time when some MPs worry about possible Russian interference in British democracy.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good luck Britain - you are going to really need it.

malchior

Post by malchior »

As an aside this reminds me that the leaker who blew up the UK Ambassador to the US unveiled himself - he is a 19-year old Brexit party campaign worker (runs one of their YouTube channels). Very likely a Russian cutout. He claims he did this all himself but there was pretty much no way for him to do it. So the whole thing was probably about Brexit. If it was them, the Russians are twisting the knife.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He is like Trump's MiniMe

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

No deal is the new UK Government's official policy now. Apparently Johnson's plan is to appear crazy enough that they'll feel they need to remove the Irish backstop from the exit deal or risk disaster. It is possible that Brussels will capitulate but it doesn't look likely. I think they might let them go to show that staying in the EU is way better than not.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

malchior wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:00 pm No deal is the new UK Government's official policy now. Apparently Johnson's plan is to appear crazy enough that they'll feel they need to remove the Irish backstop from the exit deal or risk disaster. It is possible that Brussels will capitulate but it doesn't look likely. I think they might let them go to show that staying in the EU is way better than not.
I really don't understand this whole affair but isn't that the worst possible choice for like THE ENTIRE WORLD? I get that bluffing is often times a useful strategy in negotiations but isn't this essentially gambling a world-wide recession? I honestly have tried to follow this story but seeing as how so many of the articles are from British sources, and I don't speak English (seriously, how are our languages so freaking different? 😳) it's all just kind of mystifying to me. I guess I'll just have to wait for the movie because this book is really strange.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The UK's economy isn't that big and Europe has already had time to isolate most of the anticipated damage. An English depression would be a drag on already-slowing economies, but, by itself, it's not large enough to bring down the whole shebang. Of course, there's always the prospect of unforeseen ripple effects if things don't unfold rationally. Trump has already assured Boris that he will MUKGA, so I'm sure it will all be fine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Slate
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has rebuffed invitations to meet face to face with EU leaders, including France’s Emmanuel Macron and Germany’s Angela Merkel, saying he won’t hold talks with them until they agree to drop the controversial “Irish backstop” provision from Britain’s withdrawal agreement with the EU.
The backstop would keep the border open by keeping the U.K. in a customs union with Europe until a system can be designed to check goods without a hard border. Brexiteers don’t like this because it would prevent the U.K. from negotiating its own independent trade agreements—one of the main reasons for Brexit in the first place.
The EU is sticking to its position that the backstop and the rest of the withdrawal agreement are not up for negotiation. It’ll discuss the nonbinding political declaration that accompanies the agreement, but the deal itself is the best the U.K. is going to get.

So, we appear to be at a standstill. Johnson’s position is that the U.K. will leave the EU on Oct. 31 no matter what, but he is adamant the he is working to avoid a no-deal Brexit. The British government announced an additional £2.1 billion to no-deal Brexit preparations this week, which is not encouraging.
At least five Conservative MPs, whom the British media have inexplicably dubbed the “Gaukward Squad” after ringleader David Gauke, have made clear that they are willing to vote against the government in order to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

There are several methods by which Parliament could try to stop a no-deal. These include passing a law requiring Johnson to ask the EU for an extension—which the EU would still have to agree to—or holding a vote of no confidence, which, if it passed, would lead to either another group of MPs attempting to form a government or a new general election. It’s not clear if enough Conservative MPs would back a course of action that could result in Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn becoming prime minister.

Whatever path it chooses, Parliament won’t return from recess until the beginning of September, so there won’t be much time.

Time until next deadline: 91 days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm sure Boris Johnson has a solution to this problem. Of course, the Brexit loyal are saying this is bullshit or they'll just buy British not realizing how much of their food supply comes from outside their nation or how it will be delayed at the no deal border.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 pm I'm sure Boris Johnson has a solution to this problem. Of course, the Brexit loyal are saying this is bullshit or they'll just buy British not realizing how much of their food supply comes from outside their nation or how it will be delayed at the no deal border.
Have they forgotten the Battle of the Atlantic?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump must be torn on this. Depending on what day of the week it is, he's either from Scotland or somewhere in Europe. So his loyalties must be warring against each other right now!
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

We have no bread? Then let them eat cunt.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So is Boris Johnson Britain's Zaphod Beeblebrox?

In this video he admits that being perceived as a bumbling idiot is a great way to make sure no one can tell the difference between the moments when you know what's going on and when you don't.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Britain would face gridlock at ports; shortages of medicine, fuel and food; and a hard border with Ireland if it left the European Union with no deal, according to a leaked government document.

The U.K. seems increasingly likely to crash out of the EU on Oct. 31, and the picture the government paints in a confidential document compiled under the code name Operation Yellowhammer and obtained by the Sunday Times is sobering. It details the ways government leaders are working to avert a "catastrophic collapse in the nation's infrastructure."
It also forecasts the closure of two oil refineries after import tariffs are eliminated, causing an expected loss of 2,000 jobs, worker unrest and disruptions to fuel supplies.

A government source told the Sunday Times: "This is not Project Fear — this is the most realistic assessment of what the public face with no deal. These are likely, basic, reasonable scenarios — not the worst case."
The Financial Times quoted government insiders who rebutted the document, saying it is not a realistic scenario for a no-deal Brexit and pointing out that it was written under the leadership of Johnson's predecessor, Theresa May, and does not reflect the preparations spearheaded by Johnson that are now underway.

"This document is from when ministers were blocking what needed to be done to get ready to leave and the funds were not available. It has been deliberately leaked by a former minister in an attempt to influence discussions with EU leaders," a source told the paper.

British Energy Minister Kwasi Kwarteng also downplayed the report in an interview with a British broadcaster.

"I think there's a lot of scaremongering around and a lot of people are playing into Project Fear," he told Sky News when asked about the leaked document. "We will be fully prepared to leave without a deal on the 31st of October."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GungHo wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:56 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:00 pm No deal is the new UK Government's official policy now. Apparently Johnson's plan is to appear crazy enough that they'll feel they need to remove the Irish backstop from the exit deal or risk disaster. It is possible that Brussels will capitulate but it doesn't look likely. I think they might let them go to show that staying in the EU is way better than not.
I really don't understand this whole affair but isn't that the worst possible choice for like THE ENTIRE WORLD? I get that bluffing is often times a useful strategy in negotiations but isn't this essentially gambling a world-wide recession? I honestly have tried to follow this story but seeing as how so many of the articles are from British sources, and I don't speak English (seriously, how are our languages so freaking different? 😳) it's all just kind of mystifying to me. I guess I'll just have to wait for the movie because this book is really strange.
BREXIT is a big deal for the UK, not so much for the EU. A no deal would be a disaster for the UK, and the EU has all the cards. This bluff won't work because the EU knows that Johnson has nothing in his hand.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm NPR
The Financial Times quoted government insiders who rebutted the document, saying it is not a realistic scenario for a no-deal Brexit and pointing out that it was written under the leadership of Johnson's predecessor, Theresa May, and does not reflect the preparations spearheaded by Johnson that are now underway.

"This document is from when ministers were blocking what needed to be done to get ready to leave and the funds were not available. It has been deliberately leaked by a former minister in an attempt to influence discussions with EU leaders," a source told the paper.

British Energy Minister Kwasi Kwarteng also downplayed the report in an interview with a British broadcaster.

"I think there's a lot of scaremongering around and a lot of people are playing into Project Fear," he told Sky News when asked about the leaked document. "We will be fully prepared to leave without a deal on the 31st of October."
Johnson has been PM a couple weeks and they are saying they already have their country ready or on a path to deal with all the massive supply disruptions that experts point out are inevitable in 3 months time...sounds legit.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm assuming they are going to solve the issue by processing rioters into food and fuel.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

PM Boris just "asked" the Queen to suspend Parliament. The Queen (who constitutionally has no choice) has done so.

This is so Johnson can proceed unimpeded with a no-deal Brexit. They're going over the cliff.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Look kids, Big Ben....
Look kids, Big Ben....
Look kids, Big Ben....

It just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:20 am PM Boris just "asked" the Queen to suspend Parliament. The Queen (who constitutionally has no choice) has done so.

This is so Johnson can proceed unimpeded with a no-deal Brexit. They're going over the cliff.
Buckle up, kids.

:pop:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And the conversion from a global colonial superpower to a provincial backwater failed state in now complete.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

BREXIT will result in the breakup of the UK. No way Scotland doesn't vote for independence after this, and pressure will build in Wales and maybe Northern Ireland. I guess BREXIT is worth the diminishment of your country:

BREXIT - Taking the Great out of Great Britain.
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MUKEA!

Make the United Kingdom England Again!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:39 am MUKEA!

Not to be confused with the polar opposite "IKEA", where smaller parts are put together to build something greater and whole.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:11 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:39 am MUKEA!

Not to be confused with the polar opposite "IKEA", where smaller parts are put together to build something greater and whole.
That sounds like Socialism!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:36 am BREXIT will result in the break of the UK. No way Scotland doesn't vote for independence after this, and pressure will build in Wales and maybe Northern Ireland. I guess BREXIT is worth the diminshment of your country:

BREXIT - Taking the Great out of Great Britain.
Edit: Lost in this noise is a small chance they vote no confidence before Parliament prorogues. This could theoretically happen but would require Tory defectors and would lead to a general election which likely would still lead to a crash out since it mifht not happen in time to meet the new date and the results would be uncertain.

Original post begins: This is the long-term risk they face now. It of course depends on how bad it gets in the UK. However they face massive regional pressures:

Scotland overwhelmingly wants to be in the EU

Wales was being propped up by the EU and will enter a deep regional Depression economically.

Ireland may lose the Good Friday Agreement peace and return to sectarian violence.

The Government there will face immense pressure and the failure of Parliament to be able to act will continuously be called into question.

It will be probably be fine for the first few days and I expect people will crow about it be like a Y2K event. However this calm before the storm is expected according to internal UK government forecasts that were leaked. As prices increase and shortages begin they will face increasing levels of crises over the coming 6 months post breakup.

They may get a full Corbyn government as soon as parliament gets a chance to speak and throws Johnson to the wolves. It is hard to know how crazy it will get there.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Interesting note is that now that no deal looks like it is a certainty disadvantaged people and EU citizens are starting to panic already. Read the comments if you want to see the UK equivalent of Trumpsters telling her to go back home. It is sad that the richest nations have such deplorable people rising up to be shitty to the disadvantaged. So much for Western civilizations supposed advantages.

The essential issue is that there is a settlement process in the UK for EU citizens that largely depended on the negotiated exit deal. No that there is no deal all bets are off on EU citizens still in the country.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:25 am So much for Western civilizations supposed advantages.
The last few years have really done a number on my utopian idealism. My view of the future of humanity now is more of a dystopian wasteland.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)