Japan's Emperor Akihito Abdicates

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Japan's Emperor Akihito Abdicates

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Japan's Emperor Akihito has expressed his desire to abdicate in the coming years, public broadcaster NHK reports.

The 82-year-old, who has had health problems in recent years, reportedly does not wish to remain emperor if he has to reduce his official duties.

He has been head of state for 27 years and his abdication would be an unprecedented move in modern Japan.

His eldest son, Crown Prince Naruhito, 56, is next in line to succeed him to the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Emperor Akihito plays a largely ceremonial role but is respected deeply by many Japanese and has been admired for distancing the monarchy from its association with the aggressive nationalism of World War Two.

The BBC's Steve Evans in the capital, Tokyo, says Akihito would be the first Japanese emperor to abdicate in 200 years.

Our correspondent says in 1989 he succeeded his father, Hirohito, who had had the status of a living god in Japan until he was stripped of that role by the victorious Americans who wrote the country's post-war constitution.
I was not aware that Hirohito remained alive and on the throne until 1989.

Akihito was 12 at the end of WWII.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Re: Japan's Emperor Akihito to Abdicate

Post by Moliere »

When America was great and we could remove godly powers from Emperors. #VoteTrump!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Is Akihito the only emperor on the planet?

Fun fact:
"Akihito" is the current emperor's given name, but it is not his regnal name, and he is never referred to as this in Japanese. The era of Akihito's reign bears the name "Heisei", and according to custom he will be renamed "Emperor Heisei" following his death.
(Hirohito is now referred to by his posthumous name, Emperor Shōwa.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Emperor, yes. There's a few sovereign monarchs left. Of course, QEII is on the list sixteen times.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:Emperor, yes. There's a few sovereign monarchs left. Of course, QEII is on the list sixteen times.
I think the Grand Duke of Luxembourg might be Ser Jorah Mormont.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chrysanthemum Throne? They couldn't come up with something more bad ass? No wonder they lost World War II.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There is no throne:
In much the same sense as the British Crown, the Chrysanthemum Throne is an abstract metonymic concept that represents the monarch and the legal authority for the existence of the government.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Right. But I was referring to the name, not whether he actually sits on a Throne of Crystanthemum.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

When you play the game of Chrystanthemum thrones, you win, or you use a different flower for your herbal tea.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote:Is Akihito the only emperor on the planet?
Not if we elect Trump! Make America Imperial again!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:When you play the game of Chrystanthemum thrones, you win, or you use a different flower for your herbal tea.
Oleander for the losers. :ninja:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote:When you play the game of Chrystanthemum thrones, you win, or you use a different flower for your herbal tea.
Only a true emperor can sit on a throne of flowers and not get stains on his trousers.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Jeff V wrote:
Only a true emperor can sit on a throne of flowers and not get stains on his trousers.
When you're the emperor, you don't have to wear trousers.

It's good the be the emperor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I kind of enjoy picturing the Japanese emperor sitting on a giant origami throne, though.
Black Lives Matter.
tgb

Post by tgb »

El Guapo wrote:Right. But I was referring to the name, not whether he actually sits on a Throne of Crystanthemum.
Now this is much more suitable for the Emperor of Japan.

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Queen Elizabeth refused to sit on the iron throne afraid of running afoul of a law prohibiting sitting on a foreign throne.

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Done
Japan’s popular Emperor Akihito formally abdicated on Tuesday in a short ceremony at the Imperial Palace, giving way to his son after the weight of official duties became too much for the 85-year-old.

Dressed in a morning coat with his wife, Empress Michiko, just behind him, Akihito gave a short televised speech in the Imperial Palace’s Pine Chamber, or throne room, encapsulating the humble and peaceful values that marked his rule.

“Since ascending the throne 30 years ago, I have performed my duties as the emperor with a deep sense of trust in and respect for the people, and I consider myself fortunate to have been able to do so,” he said.
Akihito is the first Japanese emperor to abdicate since the Emperor Koukaku gave way, also to his son, in 1817. His 30-year reign as ceremonial head of state ends at midnight, concluding what is known as the Heisei era.

Crown Prince Naruhito, 59, will accede to the Chrysanthemum Throne in another ceremony at the palace Wednesday morning. His reign will mark the beginning of the Reiwa era, a term taken from ancient Japanese poetry and translated as “beautiful harmony.”
stessier

Post by stessier »

I wonder if "Chrysanthemum" is easier to spell in Japanese.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes.