Coup Attempt in Turkey

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Coup Attempt in Turkey

Post by Holman »

Reports are breaking right now about tanks, helicopters, and troops involved in military action in major cities in Turkey. The PM has reported that a coup attempt is (or was) underway.

Not many details yet.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
PLW

Re: Coup Attempt in Turkey

Post by PLW »

Of course, this could be a giant deal. Turkey is a NATO member, and has a long history of coups. Erdogan is an idiot, but military coups are not good.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

PLW wrote:Of course, this could be a giant deal. Turkey is a NATO member, and has a long history of coups. Erdogan is an idiot, but military coups are not good.
Especially with their Russian tensions of late. This has some serious bad potential... much worse than any ISIS bs.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The military has issued a statement claiming that they have overthrown Erdogan and taken control.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well it has been a banner year for "Europe" at this point. WTF.
PLW

Post by PLW »

I've been spending too much time on Reddit live-threads lately.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hey that's all I wanted for Christmas! Darned Johnny Turk gets to have all the fun. :horse:
two months
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

O'rly?

And this shortly after the prez mysteriously (to me anyway) started playing nice with everyone, after months and months of belligerent dictator-like behaviour.
Enough

Post by Enough »

PLW wrote:I've been spending too much time on Reddit live-threads lately.
I hear that. :-(

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

PLW wrote:Of course, this could be a giant deal. Turkey is a NATO member, and has a long history of coups. Erdogan is an idiot, but military coups are not good.
Endogan is an authoritarian, imprisoning political opponents, seizing and closing newspapers, etc. I don't see him voluntarily relinquishing power. At what point should the military step in? Not to Godwinize the thread, but wouldn't we have been better off if the German army had thrown Hitler out of power, who was after all democratically elected? Wouldn't have we have praised that?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

IIRC, the Turkish military has traditionally been secular and pro-West.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote:IIRC, the Turkish military has traditionally been secular and pro-West.
Especially back in the day when they really wanted to conquer the west.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote:Endogan is an authoritarian, imprisoning political opponents, seizing and closing newspapers, etc. I don't see him voluntarily relinquishing power. At what point should the military step in? Not to Godwinize the thread, but wouldn't we have been better off if the German army had thrown Hitler out of power, who was after all democratically elected? Wouldn't have we have praised that?
Maybe but with Syris/ISIS/Kurd issues and the general refugee crisis - this is a dangerous time for there to be instability at the door to Europe.

*Edit: Just saw a post in the Reddit live thread that troops loyal to Fethullah Gulen might be behind this. That actually could make a ton of sense. Hopefully whatever happens doesn't blow up into a full out civil war - that'd be *really bad* right now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote:IIRC, the Turkish military has traditionally been secular and pro-West.
Right. The military has traditionally been the guardian of Kemalism, Ataturk's founding ideology of Turkey as a Westernized state (in distinction from the Ottoman state that came before). The Turkish military has always been politically active, and the irony is that they do this in ways that seem profoundly un-Western even as they support secularism.

Kemalism doesn't automatically make the military the good guys, though. For all Erdogan's nastiness, this is still the overthrow of an elected civilian government by force.

I don't know enough about Turkey to think far beyond that point. I'll be reading. As pointed out, instability in a NATO country at the point where Europe meets the Middle East isn't a good thing.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote:
Right. The military has traditionally been the guardian of Kemalism, Ataturk's founding ideology of Turkey as a Westernized state (in distinction from the Ottoman state that came before). The Turkish military has always been politically active, and the irony is that they do this in ways that seem profoundly un-Western even as they support secularism.

Kemalism doesn't automatically make the military the good guys, though. For all Erdogan's nastiness, this is still the overthrow of an elected civilian government by force.

I don't know enough about Turkey to think far beyond that point. I'll be reading. As pointed out, instability in a NATO country at the point where Europe meets the Middle East isn't a good thing.
Agreed on both counts. I will be wish-casting that the pro-West secularists are who are in charge now, but still very scary at this moment in time.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
PLW

Post by PLW »

I feel like we have a bad history of cheering for non-democratic change in a direction that looks in "our" direction that, in the end, is terrible.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Turkey is a major oil transit hub, something like 3 million bbls/day, and is particular significant for Russian oil interests.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

PLW wrote:I feel like we have a bad history of cheering for non-democratic change in a direction that looks in "our" direction that, in the end, is terrible.
Erdogan was already non-democratic. He is just a Turkish Putin. Voting doesn't matter if you don't have a free press, freedom of speech, and non-political courts.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

He's done for, just "addressed" the nation via FaceTime on a journalist's phone shared on tv, LOL! Shows he has no way of getting on the air in a normal way. Supposedly his plane tried to land in Istanbul but was refused, supposedly he's seeking asylum in Germany.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Edit fail...
Last edited by Enough on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enough

Post by Enough »

I was fooled, but it was on his Twitter, so confused.
Spoiler:
Enough wrote:Never one to miss an opportunity,
DonaId J. Trump ‏@realDenaldTrump 43m43 minutes ago

Looks like a military coup is underway in #Turkey. They're taking their country back! Will be the same in the US soon if I'm President!

Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote:*Edit: Just saw a post in the Reddit live thread that troops loyal to Fethullah Gulen might be behind this. That actually could make a ton of sense. Hopefully whatever happens doesn't blow up into a full out civil war - that'd be *really bad* right now.
From the Guardian:
A presidential source has said: “This is a coup attempt by the Gulen movement, at which several known Gulenists hinted in recent months. The perpetrators have violated the chain in command.”
I don't know much, but it appears that Gulen is a mostly moderate Islamic cleric interested in building his own power base in Turkey and with no connections to Jihadist radicals. His movement has recruited heavily in police and military circles.

Anyone know more about him or the politics of his movement? Is he as moderate as Wikipedia claims?

Weirdly, it seems that he lives in eastern Pennsylvania.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Enough

Post by Enough »

NTV is saying a Turkish F16 just shot down a coup-used helicopter, and it's becoming increasingly clear that we have no idea if the coup will be successful. Given that they were not able to round up the leaders, I am wondering what are the impacts if the coup is a big fail?

Enough

Post by Enough »

And with the military apparently split on the coup, it makes me wonder if this will be more bloody than past coups in Turkey.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote:
malchior wrote:*Edit: Just saw a post in the Reddit live thread that troops loyal to Fethullah Gulen might be behind this. That actually could make a ton of sense. Hopefully whatever happens doesn't blow up into a full out civil war - that'd be *really bad* right now.
From the Guardian:
A presidential source has said: “This is a coup attempt by the Gulen movement, at which several known Gulenists hinted in recent months. The perpetrators have violated the chain in command.”
I don't know much, but it appears that Gulen is a mostly moderate Islamic cleric interested in building his own power base in Turkey and with no connections to Jihadist radicals. His movement has recruited heavily in police and military circles.

Anyone know more about him or the politics of his movement? Is he as moderate as Wikipedia claims?

Weirdly, it seems that he lives in eastern Pennsylvania.
He is in exile here. He got chased out after going after Erdogan for corruption - but - his people just put out a statement disavowing involvement and saying they were concerned by the coup. FWIW obviously.
PLW

Post by PLW »

This is apparently not a very popular coup attempt. All the major opposition parties seem to be opposing it.

One of the best young quantitative sociologists who studies technology and politics, Zeynep Tufekci is Turkish and in Turkey right now. Her twitter feed has been fascinating.
Last edited by PLW on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, looks like I was premature. Sounds like Erdogan just handed in Istanbul. Crowds seem to be turning out to support him, so the tide may be turning. The coup leaders should have chopped off the head of the snake, too late now.
Enough

Post by Enough »

PLW wrote:This is apparently not a very popular coup attempt. All the major opposition parties seem to be opposing it.

One of the best young quantitative sociologists who studies technology and politics, Zeynep Tufekci is Turkish and in Turkey right now. Her twitter feed has been fascinating.
That is an amazing twitter feed, thanks for sharing.

xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Going by the news it sounds like the attempt is getting crushed.

Unfortunately this will just give Erdogan what he needs to crush civil liberties completely. If they really were trying to launch a coup to counter Erdogan's increasingly authoritarian habits they really needed to win, not some sort of half measure. If you are going to strike at the king....
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Enough

Post by Enough »

This is the parliament building being bombed apparently.
Last report is that all the MPs are okay.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP via USN&WR
President Barack Obama on Friday urged all sides in Turkey to support the democratically elected government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan amid a military takeover of the key NATO ally.

In a statement issued after a meeting with his national security advisers, Obama also urged everyone in Turkey to show restraint and avoid violence or bloodshed.
In a separate statement, Kerry said the U.S. viewed the "very fluid situation" in Turkey with the "gravest concern."

Kerry said he had stressed in a telephone call with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu the United States' "absolute support" for Turkey's democratically elected, civilian government and democratic institutions. Kerry said he urged all parties to ensure the safety and well-being of diplomatic missions, personnel and civilians across Turkey.

Kerry also urged U.S. citizens in Turkey to stay indoors and to be in touch with family and friends.

The Defense Department also released a statement saying it is "taking appropriate steps to ensure the safety and security of our service members, civilians, their families and our facilities."

The Pentagon said the coup attempt had so far made no impact on the Incirlik air base, and said anti-Islamic State air operations from Incirlik are continuing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This is what you get after 8 years of terrible foreign policy. I'm confident Trump's positions of isolationism and trade wars will solve these problems on foreign soil.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ugh. Erdogan's been playing Kurds against ISIS against NATO against his own Islamists with nobody particularly happy with him, so his ouster would be...complicated. Reserving further comment until the dust settles.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Is Erdogan sufficiently Machiavellian to arrange a weak/faux coup as an excuse to consolidate power?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote:Is Erdogan sufficiently Machiavellian to arrange a weak/faux coup as an excuse to consolidate power?
Yes but it is probably more likely this was real and he will ruthlessly use it that way.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote:
Max Peck wrote:Is Erdogan sufficiently Machiavellian to arrange a weak/faux coup as an excuse to consolidate power?
Yes but it is probably more likely this was real and he will ruthlessly use it that way.
I don't think he's smart enough, although I'm sure he would have no (moral) problem with the concept. But who knows, maybe he is. He has certainly been pushing in that direction for awhile now. The belligerence with which he dealt with Putin and then recently apologized to him was odd enough for me to know something was up, but I'm not geo-politically savvy enough to understand what that means or what motivates it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Gulen denies involvement:
In a statement early Saturday, Gulen denied any involvement in the coup.

“I condemn, in the strongest terms, the attempted military coup in Turkey,” he said, adding later: “Government should be won through a process of free and fair elections, not force … As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt.”