The Problem with Voter ID

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

The Problem with Voter ID

Post by Pyperkub »

Couldn't find a thread dedicated to this, so here's the real world perspective on Wisconsin's Voter ID law:
On September 22, he went to the DMV to get a photo ID for voting, as required by Wisconsin’s strict voter-ID law. He brought his Illinois photo ID, Social Security card, and a pay stub for proof of residence. But he didn’t have a copy of his birth certificate, which had been misplaced by his sister in Illinois, so the DMV wouldn’t give him an ID for voting. “I’m trying to get a Wisconsin ID so I can vote,” Moore told the DMV. “I don’t have my birth certificate, but I got everything else.”

Under Wisconsin law, the DMV should’ve given Moore a credential he could use for voting within 6 business days. But that never happened. They told him to “drive down there [to Illinois] and get [a birth certificate] and come back.” That would cost Moore money he didn’t have. If he entered what the state calls the ID Petition Process (IDPP), it would take 6-8 weeks for him to get a voter-ID and he most likely wouldn’t be able to vote by Election Day. ..

...Nine percent of registered voters in Wisconsin don’t have a valid voter-ID and many are still struggling to get the documents they need to vote in November. It appears that Wisconsin is violating multiple court orders by not promptly giving eligible citizens free IDs or certificates for voting. This is particularly concerning since early voting began this week in cities like Madison and Milwaukee and thousands of Wisconsinites are casting ballots.
Way to disenfranchise almost 10% of registered voters Wisconsin!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Re: The Problem with Voter ID

Post by Jeff V »

Voter ID laws are specifically intended to disenfranchise voters. While the laws might make provisions for recourse, it behooves those supporting such laws to wrap up actual execution in as much red tape as possible so such voters can't manage to enfranchise themselves.
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Mainly disenfranchise black voters.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

FFS. He had ID, including a state issued drivers license. Making people jump through ridiculous hoops is done solely to keep some people from voting. You can try and pretend that's not racist if you want, but it's a stretch to conclude it was done to prevent illegal voting.

Post by Default »

Way to defeat your own argument with your own graphic.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

No kidding. Reading comprehension FTL. :doh:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I need to volunteer at one of those "Non-Prophet Orgs". The ones with a prophet just have too dang many rules.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

My friend from Germany asked me why voter ID laws are such a big deal in the U.S. "How do you go through life without having some form of photo ID?" I had to explain to him that those laws are specifically designed to exclude most common forms of identification that their target demographic might possess.

And the reason the conversation started in the first place because he observed that they get more coverage of U.S. elections now than they do of their own.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I had to provide all that stuff to get my mom a new ID when she moved, and also to get myself one when I moved. We both had to go back twice till we had everything that they asked of us. You are supposed to update your information right away when you move. If it's too much of a burden I've got no problem with taking it out of someone's first gov't support check of whatever kind along with money to drug test them while we're at it. :wink: Fail the drug test and we'll still give you the ID, just not the rest of the benefits. Your lifetime democrat and republican politicians are the ones that made it harder to get an ID ever since 9-11 instead of, I dunno, nuking Saudi Arabia maybe. :ninja:
Skinypupy wrote:I need to volunteer at one of those "Non-Prophet Orgs". The ones with a prophet just have too dang many rules.
Yeah, I see that now, and it's darned funny!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

em2nought wrote:If it's too much of a burden I've got no problem with taking it out of someone's first gov't support check of whatever kind along with money to drug test them while we're at it. :wink: Fail the drug test and we'll still give you the ID, just not the rest of the benefits.
Yes, because that's been proven to have such great results and be such a savings to taxpayers. Er...um...

Besides, making sure kids go hungry because mom or dad can't kick their habit is fun! :roll:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Skinypupy wrote:Yes, because that's been proven to have such great results and be such a savings to taxpayers. Er...um...

Besides, making sure kids go hungry because mom or dad can't kick their habit is fun! :roll:
That's the beauty in taking it out of their benefit, no taxpayer expense. If mom or dad has that much of a habit maybe the gov't needs to use the funds to place the children somewhere better instead. I'm not absolutely sure about that though as there are plenty of horror stories on "Law and Order: SVU". A large portion of people just plain suck I guess.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So all the money spent to do all the drug tests (which catch the miniscule percentage of users) doesn't count as a "taxpayer expense"?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We should aspire to being assholes rather than helping people because it will soothe em2's butthurt over imaginary problems.

What a country!

:roll:
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zarathud wrote:We should aspire to being assholes rather than helping people because it will soothe our butthurt over imaginary problems.
Pretty sure you just summed up the entire GOP platform in one sentence
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Skinypupy wrote:So all the money spent to do all the drug tests (which catch the miniscule percentage of users) doesn't count as a "taxpayer expense"?
Sure, but it comes out of what we are already giving away this way. If they want to work ten hours of community service to pay for their testing that would work for me too. You can't just keep on giving away other people's money indefinitely, just like you can't keep printing money indefinitely. Hey, if you can't afford your ID, I'd be fine if you did community service to pay for that too. Pick up trash, we'll weigh your bags at the end of the day and fund your account accordingly. :dance:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

em2nought wrote: You can't just keep on giving away other people's money indefinitely
Yes, you literally can.

Post by Default »

"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
The Trump administration plans to abandon the federal government’s longstanding opposition to a key portion of Texas’ toughest-in-the-nation voter ID law, a U.S. Justice Department spokesman said Monday.
Justice Department spokesman Mark Abueg said the agency was preparing a brief detailing its rationale for the move. He said that although the Justice Department will no longer argue that the law was intended to discriminate against minorities, it doesn’t plan to withdraw from a portion of the lawsuit that argues that the law had the effect of discriminating against them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:Texas
The Trump administration plans to abandon the federal government’s longstanding opposition to a key portion of Texas’ toughest-in-the-nation voter ID law, a U.S. Justice Department spokesman said Monday.
Justice Department spokesman Mark Abueg said the agency was preparing a brief detailing its rationale for the move. He said that although the Justice Department will no longer argue that the law was intended to discriminate against minorities, it doesn’t plan to withdraw from a portion of the lawsuit that argues that the law had the effect of discriminating against them.
"I am shocked at this turn of events!" said no one ever. So is this the point where the ACLU steps up to save the day?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

The Republican Party doesn't want poor people or minorities to vote. This is not news.

These bills are supported only by people who don't realize what they do, don't care about it, or think that's fine. The former can be educated. The middle should be shunned. The latter are beneath contempt.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Trump Administration wants to make the weakest argument possible so that the courts rule to uphold the Texas law.

Shame on you, Jeff Sessions.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon