The 2016 Election Day Results Thread (Potential Spoilers)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Fireball

Re: The 2016 Election Day Results Thread (Potential Spoilers

Post by Fireball »

El Guapo wrote:I would go farther and say that I blame everyone who did not vote for Clinton. Yeah, it sucks that we have an archaic system that boils it down to a binary choice, but that's the situation that we were in in November.
+1

If you didn't vote for Hillary Clinton, you helped elect Donald Trump.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote:I would go farther and say that I blame everyone who did not vote for Clinton. Yeah, it sucks that we have an archaic system that boils it down to a binary choice, but that's the situation that we were in in November.
Exactly this. Now we can have a nice long discussion about how fucked up our system is to bring us that binary choice, but I vividly remember several conversations with folks on 'both sides' of the aisle--Repubs who REALLY didn't want to vote for Clinton despite being no fan of Trump, and Berninators who just hated Hillary.

The bottom line as Guap says above and as I said in those conversations: the actual choice that Americans had on the ballot was Clinton or Trump. More specifically, it was 'vote for Clinton, literally the only sane choice with a snowball's chance in hell of winning, or enable Trump. There is no third option.' I'd love for it not to be binary in the future, but for now it absolutely is.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Fireball wrote:
+1

If you didn't vote for Hillary Clinton, you helped elect Donald Trump.
Agreed. That crossed my mind when I was posting. I should have followed up on it. We should never forgot about the people that didn't vote at all.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:Everyone does that, though. The bad things that happened are the fault of the people that I already disliked, and if everyone just did what I have been recommending then we would win. The Sanders people blame the democratic centrists, the centrists blame the Sanders people.
Absolutely.

What is the desired effect from actions happening right now? It is working?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote:
Exactly this. Now we can have a nice long discussion about how fucked up our system is to bring us that binary choice, but I vividly remember several conversations with folks on 'both sides' of the aisle--Repubs who REALLY didn't want to vote for Clinton despite being no fan of Trump, and Berninators who just hated Hillary.

The bottom line as Guap says above and as I said in those conversations: the actual choice that Americans had on the ballot was Clinton or Trump. More specifically, it was 'vote for Clinton, literally the only sane choice with a snowball's chance in hell of winning, or enable Trump. There is no third option.' I'd love for it not to be binary in the future, but for now it absolutely is.
For that matter, anyone who really wants to vote for the Green Party, Libertarian Party, or any other party, should be less focused on campaigning for them specifically, and more focused on electoral reforms, such as instant run-off voting (which can be plausibly accomplished at the state level).
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:What is the desired effect from actions happening right now? It is working?
LOL. I'll direct you back to my earlier comments: We're fuct.

I don't know what the solution is, but it's not what we're doing, and it's not attempting to have a reasonable dialogue.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Everyone does that, though. The bad things that happened are the fault of the people that I already disliked, and if everyone just did what I have been recommending then we would win. The Sanders people blame the democratic centrists, the centrists blame the Sanders people.
Absolutely.

I honestly do not understand your question. I, uh, want actions to have the effect of removing Trump from office? Also making me fabulously wealthy?
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I blame myself.

Bad me, bad!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, this is one of those times where you might not be trying to be facetious. I mean, a LOT of people are regretting their vote now. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Absolutely.

I honestly do not understand your question. I, uh, want actions to have the effect of removing Trump from office? Also making me fabulously wealthy?
What are we doing right now? We are making claims coinciding with Clinton's memoir that "Bernie Sanders voters helped Trump win and here's proof" This is increasing the volume of something that hasn't stopped in the last 10 months. Why is the desired effect? There is a reason these shouts are continuing to be shouted. There is an expectation that goes along with the communication. What is that expectation? Are the senders of this message achieving their goals?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You do know that link goes to The Onion, right?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

TheMix wrote:I'm with hepcat on this. (Though my descriptions are not as impressive as his.)

I don't blame the Bernie supporters that voted for Trump. At least not specifically. I blame everyone that voted for Trump. I don't care, at all, who they preferred. On the final ballot it was a binary choice. One horrible, and one not. If they chose the horrible option, then they deserve to be blamed. The lies reasons excuses that they told themselves to make it easier to make that choice are irrelevant.
I agree. I know there are still people who celebrate the current state of things. I only hope to understand them. But it is daunting.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:You do know that link goes to The Onion, right?
You mean newsweek, right? The Onion link was posted later.

http://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders- ... ion-654320
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There were no quotations, so I was confuzzled.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Absolutely.

What are we doing right now? We are making claims coinciding with Clinton's memoir that "Bernie Sanders voters helped Trump win and here's proof" This is increasing the volume of something that hasn't stopped in the last 10 months. Why is the desired effect? There is a reason these shouts are continuing to be shouted. There is an expectation that goes along with the communication. What is that expectation? Are the senders of this message achieving their goals?
I assume that most of the point is venting. To the extent that there is a point I assume the centrists want to convince anyone who voted third party to vote for the democratic nominee in 2020, and the leftists want to convince the centrists to support a leftist in 2020.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

There likely is an opportunity to take the center and center-right if they can find the right message. That said I think you could make a sensible bet that the DNC will find a way to screw it up in 2020.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:I assume that most of the point is venting.
Concurred. I don't think it's a good thing, though. I think the real desire is to have a Congress and Presidency run by centrist democrats and that venting at and attacking the people you are trying to convince is going produce results contrary to your desires, nevermind that centrist democrat venting has been going on for over two years straight.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not a good thing to vent about Trump using your logic, but that's what the vast majority of us do anyway.

Although I'm not sure I mentioned this earlier, but all the people who voted for Bernie or the other non starters are to blame for this mess.

Did I mention that? I feel like I mentioned that. :twisted:
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I assume that most of the point is venting.
Concurred. I don't think it's a good thing, though. I think the real desire is to have a Congress and Presidency run by centrist democrats and that venting at and attacking the people you are trying to convince is going produce results contrary to your desires, nevermind that centrist democrat venting has been going on for over two years straight.
But my point is that it's not just centrist democrat venting. I have seen plenty of parallel whining by Sanders people that if only the Democratic Party had wholeheartedly embraced their thinking to begin with they would have won. Their real desire is to have a Congress and a Presidency run by left wing democrats, notwithstanding that venting at and attacking the people that they are trying to convince is going to produce results contrary to their desires, nevermind that left-wing democratic venting has been going on for over two years straight.

But at the same time, whining and venting and arguing is the natural human condition, so not sure what is to be done about that.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I have a feeling that a lot of the Bernie support and Trump support is alike in that they wanted an anti-establishment candidate regardless of the consequences.

We've been cultivating the idea that the status quo is terrible and needs to be torn down and this is what comes of it. Perhaps the message needs to change that everything isn't terrible and they aren't out to get you. There's some tweaks here and there, but the world isn't falling apart at the seams.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"The status is NOT quo!"

At this point, I'd vote for Doctor Horrible.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote:"The status is NOT quo!"

At this point, I'd vote for Doctor Horrible.
He had a soft spot, but he was a little more authoritarian than I'd like.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.