The 2016 Election Day Results Thread (Potential Spoilers)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The 2016 Election Day Results Thread (Potential Spoilers

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I know that they are not the exact same people, but the hypocrisy within the GOP is unbelievable. On the one hand. Obama can't appoint anyone or do anything because he only has a whole year left in office. On the other hand, our guy is leaving in a month, so let's appoint and change as much as we can before he leaves. Pretty disgusting, not that they care.
I am sure we could find prominent NC GOP people insisting on not allowing Obama his SCOTUS nominee in the year before the election.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote:
Larry Lessig, a Harvard University constitutional law professor who made a brief run for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, claimed Tuesday that 20 Republican members of the Electoral College are considering voting against Donald Trump, a figure that would put anti-Trump activists more than halfway toward stalling Trump’s election.
link
Apparently, word is that the number might be up to thirty, though I'm very skeptical. While I would imagine some would want anonymity (or are merely on the fence or open minded), I would think that some of those that are ready would want to do so openly to help spur on other electors into doing so.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd much prefer him declawed by Congress than watch us try to get around him being elected. I fear the precedent and I fear the fallout.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LordMortis wrote:I'd much prefer him declawed by Congress than watch us try to get around him being elected. I fear the precedent and I fear the fallout.
I'd be quite happy if he were declawed by Congress. But who thinks that will happen with this congress?

And frankly, he's already and will continue to set quite a lot of precedents that I fear.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If enough electors don't vote for Trump, assuming they don't vote for Clinton, it would go to Congress to elect the president. They could still pick Trump.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If enough electors don't vote for Trump, assuming they don't vote for Clinton, it would go to Congress to elect the president. They could still pick Trump.
They probably would. And have to own it.

Another possibility, though, is that the Republican defectors and the Democrats as a whole agree on someone to pick (the likeliest ones I can think of being: Pence, Romney, Clinton (because all of them got plenty of votes in this or the last election), or, as has been mentioned as a possibility, Kasich).
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If enough electors don't vote for Trump, assuming they don't vote for Clinton, it would go to Congress to elect the president. They would still pick Trump.
FTFY

Unfaithful Republican electors are not going to vote for Clinton, so while (given a minor miracle) they might pull Trump down under a majority, they are going to vote for someone like Kasich. Then it goes to Congress, and the vast majority of the GOP members won't have the stomach to vote for anyone other than Trump.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

The House would definitely pick Trump, but the drama of an EC rejection would be worth it to highlight how Trump has forfeited the trust and legitimacy that the office of the presidency requires. It could help to prevent the normalization he's depending on.

It's still America's loss, but it's the best we can hope for.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Four more days and we can finally forget about this straw. Thank god.
Talk of an electoral revolt against Donald Trump is just that.

Only one Republican elector plans to go rogue and cast a ballot for someone other than the president-elect, a survey has found.

The Associated Press survey polled more than 330 of the Electoral College’s 538 members and found nearly all said they felt it was their duty to vote for the winner in their state despite pleas from “Never Trump” citizens.

Even Bret Chiafalo, a Democratic Washington-state elector leading the anti-Trump bid, called the effort “a losing bet.”

Republican elector Jim Skaggs, a developer from Bowling Green, Ky., who knew Trump’s father through the construction business, said that although he worries about the president-elect’s personality, he would still vote for him when the Electoral College meets on Monday.

“I fully intend to vote for Donald Trump,” said Skaggs, 78. “I think it is a duty.”

Electors complained that many of the requests they have received to dump Trump were coordinated and automated.
http://nypost.com/2016/12/15/electoral- ... rry-about/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:Four more years and we can finally forget about this embarrassment . Thank god.
:ninja:
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:Four more days and we can finally forget about this straw. Thank god.
Not to worry, there will be plenty of straws to come -- just look at the longevity of birtherism. Why should a tremendous capacity to reject reality be the sole domain of the reactionary right?

I predict the persistently popular grasping straw will be of the "Will this be enough to impeach/convict him?" variety; it has the virture of being endlessly self-renewing.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Max Peck wrote: Not to worry, there will be plenty of straws to come -- just look at the longevity of birtherism.
Speaking of which, I don't think Trump produced his birth certificate yet. He must be hiding something! :horse:
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Max Peck wrote: Not to worry, there will be plenty of straws to come -- just look at the longevity of birtherism.
Speaking of which, I don't think Trump produced his birth certificate yet. He must be hiding something! :horse:
Nah, he probably just has it stored in the same place as his tax returns.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The IRS is sure taking their sweet time with Trump's audit!
Black Lives Matter
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Defiant wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If enough electors don't vote for Trump, assuming they don't vote for Clinton, it would go to Congress to elect the president. They could still pick Trump.
They probably would. And have to own it.

Another possibility, though, is that the Republican defectors and the Democrats as a whole agree on someone to pick (the likeliest ones I can think of being: Pence, Romney, Clinton (because all of them got plenty of votes in this or the last election), or, as has been mentioned as a possibility, Kasich).
A House vote is unlikely to happen, but if it did, it could play out like this: enough Republican electors vote for someone else that Trump doesn't get to 270 for President, but Pence does get to 270 for Vice President.

The House can only vote for one of three people who received the most Electoral College votes. Assume that it's Trump, Clinton and Kasich. If no candidate gets 26 state delegation votes on the first ballot, Ryan could decline to hold a second vote.

In that case, Pence would become President.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
At another of his “thank you” rallies on Thursday night, Donald Trump expressed his deep gratitude to the black voters who didn't turn out to vote last month.

“We did great with the African American community,” he said, during the rally in Hershey, Pa. “So good. Remember — remember the famous line, because I talk about crime, I talk about lack of education, I talk about no jobs. And I'd say, what the hell do you have to lose? Right? It's true. And they're smart and they picked up on it like you wouldn't believe. And you know what else? They didn't come out to vote for Hillary. They didn't come out. And that was a big — so thank you to the African American community.”
Trump offered similar praise last week in Michigan — another of the states that he wasn't expected to win, but did. The black community “came through big league,” he said then. “If they had any doubt, they didn't vote. And that was almost as good,” he added.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I really fucking hate that Trump thinks "big league" is an adverb.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Was I just not paying attention during previous post-election periods with these "thank you rallies"?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Holman wrote:I really fucking hate that Trump thinks "big league" is an adverb.
I told my son yesterday that he took a "big league bite" out of his grilled cheese sandwich.

/hangs head in shame.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I had never heard of a thank you tour until I saw a Daily Show clip today. That's not to say they haven't existed but they weren't in my periphery. A quick google search pre-2015 doesn't have anything jump out at me. The closest I get the single Obama Rally, which I do remember:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11 ... ranscript/

And wow what a difference.

Also, I thought while I'm driving by, I'm beginning to concede to your advice about not even engaging the ridiculous as worthy of conversation. Recent experience is telling me that the other is going from disagreement about facts to drowning breathing the water in the deep end in space of seconds. Like there is a loud embracing of defiance of reason that must be expressed with great plumage or something where suddenly I hear the "Run Like Hell" train rifs starting up.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

RunningMn9 wrote:Was I just not paying attention during previous post-election periods with these "thank you rallies"?
It's Trump's way to unite a divided America by touring the states where he won and ignoring the states where he lost.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote:
I told my son yesterday that he took a "big league bite" out of his grilled cheese sandwich.

/hangs head in shame.
It's totally a thing in need of media coverage.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Merriam-Webster supports your assertion that it's not
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

RunningMn9 wrote:Was I just not paying attention during previous post-election periods with these "thank you rallies"?
They largely went out of vogue back around 1938, but people tell me that Trump is bringing them back, big league.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:Merriam-Webster supports your assertion that it's not
You should have stood your ground with your original Wiktionary reference. It's totally alt-rightcorrect. :coffee:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote:

/hangs head in shame.
I think you are saved in that bite is noun and not a verb in that sentence making big league into an adjective.

Now if you said "big league bite that grill cheese!" you'd have cause for shame.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote:
You should have stood your ground with your original Wiktionary reference. It's totally alt-rightcorrect. :coffee:
I thought about it, until I expanded the details, and Trump was the citation for correctness.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
I thought about it, until I expanded the details, and Trump was the citation for correctness.
Hence my reference to the alt-rightness of the entry. ;)

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

ImLawBoy wrote:

/hangs head in shame.
That's used as an adjective. :D

Enlarge Image
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:

/hangs head in shame.
I think you are saved in that bite is noun and not a verb in that sentence making big league into an adjective.

Now if you said "big league bite that grill cheese!" you'd have cause for shame.
Oh, great. Now I'm getting grammar-ized by Lord Mortis.

/hangs head in shame.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote:Oh, great. Now I'm getting grammar-ized by Lord Mortis.

/hangs head in shame.

Hey Now! I have a degree in English. I just don't go using it much.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ironically(?), bigly is a perfectly cromulent adverb. I wonder if that is why so many people hear bigly when Drumpf says big league.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

ImLawBoy wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:

/hangs head in shame.

Oh, great. Now I'm getting grammar-ized by Lord Mortis.

/hangs head in shame.
Never thought these threads on the election and Trump would make me laugh. Thanks. :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote:WaPo
At another of his “thank you” rallies on Thursday night, Donald Trump expressed his deep gratitude to the black voters who didn't turn out to vote last month.

“We did great with the African American community,” he said, during the rally in Hershey, Pa. “So good. Remember — remember the famous line, because I talk about crime, I talk about lack of education, I talk about no jobs. And I'd say, what the hell do you have to lose? Right? It's true. And they're smart and they picked up on it like you wouldn't believe. And you know what else? They didn't come out to vote for Hillary. They didn't come out. And that was a big — so thank you to the African American community.”
Trump offered similar praise last week in Michigan — another of the states that he wasn't expected to win, but did. The black community “came through big league,” he said then. “If they had any doubt, they didn't vote. And that was almost as good,” he added.
Laughter aside I didn't want the fact that our PEOTUS just went and thanked people for having their vote suppressed. I am so hating our government right now.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just call me Captain Buzzkill.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Signed
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R) on Friday signed legislation that will severely curtail the powers of his successor, Democratic Gov.-elect Roy Cooper.
The bill McCrory signed will limit the governor's power to make appointments to certain state boards including the Board of Elections.

It would create state and county boards of elections with equal numbers of Democratic and Republican members. Until now, the governor appointed three of the five members of the state Board of Elections, and county boards were made up of two members of the governor’s party and one member of the other party.

The measure will also identify candidates running for state Supreme Court seats by their party labels in primary elections. A Democratic candidate ousted a Republican incumbent in November’s elections, though both candidates ran without party labels, leaving a 4-3 Democratic majority on the high court.

Despite rumors, the Republican legislature did not bring up a bill to add more members to the high court.

The legislature also passed a bill that will give McCrory the power to appoint the head of the state’s Industrial Commission, which hears appeals of worker compensation claims, to a six-year term.

McCrory has not said whether he will sign another bill that would require Senate confirmation of the governor’s Cabinet. That bill, which also removes the governor’s ability to appoint members to the University of North Carolina system’s board of trustees, awaits final action in the state House before it reaches McCrory’s desk.
Republicans justified their unexpected actions by pointing to previous efforts by Democratic-led legislators, including Cooper, to reduce the governor’s power.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Dozens of protesters were arrested in Raleigh today over this horseshit. And good on 'em. I mean come on, folks. This is Empire levels of scum and villainy. And they're not even trying to hide it:
Some Republican lawmakers said that if the choices being made by legislators aren’t popular with the voters – too bad.
Again, I say to the conservatives on the board like msduncan who don't understand who I could have done a 180 and flipped my politics so dramatically...this. This legislature is so bad, so utterly transparent in their abuse of power and their discrimination, that it was impossible for me to turn a blind eye to it. This is a legislature that cost the state millions in revenue over a silly unenforceable and discriminatory bathroom law just in time for us to get hit with an enormous natural disaster. They've been caught red-handed trying to suppress voter turnout in minority districts. Now they're performing a naked power grab because their candidate lost. And they simply don't care who knows it.

This goes beyond partisan politics - this comes down to common decency. And these folks have ZERO.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hey it could be worse - you could be in NJ. Chris Christie signed a book deal which is illegal since a NJ Governor can only earn his Governor's salary while he is in office. Yes there are a few anti-corruption laws in NJ but hold the shock there for a moment. They are going to rewrite that law to allow income from a book deal specifically. In return a bunch of people in the government get raises. Fuck this state.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Hillary wins! She lost 4 electoral voles to Trump's 2 - she even gets extra credit for the attempts to lose one each from Maine, Colorado, and Minnesota! This election just keeps on giving.
words