The American Apocalypse

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: The American Apocalypse

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote:Hardly. I don't get deeply offended by anything.

Deeply offended is for snowflakes.
You don't give a shit about a single thing though.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, snowflakes like Trump. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Unagi wrote:

I care about a lot of things, I just don't have time for deeply offended.

You will know when I become deeply offended because that will be the day I start working on my survival bunker.
PLW

Post by PLW »

I'm with Rip. I don't get "deeply offended" by what people say. I get mad or sad when I see people picking on others or taking actions that harm them. But offended.. that's a waste of time.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Words matter.
People matter.
Intent matters.

Put all three together, and it really matters. But the offense depends on how many strikes. If someone says racist hurtful shit about a person and means it, I can get deeply offended.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

Being deeply offended about someone's odious opinion is one thing.

Being deeply offended because someone horrible is doing something horrible to people or values or countries we love or respect is entirely another.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, people who call people snowflakes do it mostly because they can't win with actual arguments, so they have to fall back on ad hominems.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Blackhawk wrote:No, people who call people snowflakes do it mostly because they can't win with actual arguments, so they have to fall back on ad hominems.
There is no argument that justifies denying someone the opportunity to speak. No matter whether it is done by the government or a bunch of cowardly hooligans with masks setting stuff on fire and assaulting people.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rip wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:No, people who call people snowflakes do it mostly because they can't win with actual arguments, so they have to fall back on ad hominems.
There is no argument that justifies denying someone the opportunity to speak. No matter whether it is done by the government or a bunch of cowardly hooligans with masks setting stuff on fire and assaulting people.
Which has exactly what to do with either what I said or calling people names in lieu of addressing their actual points?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Blackhawk wrote:
Rip wrote:
Which has exactly what to do with either what I said or calling people names in lieu of addressing their actual points?
Their points are that they don't like people's words and want them to be forced to shut up or for there to be closets put aside for them to hide in to cower in fear of those words. The name itself is a way of addressing their points and rejecting such via mocking. If you want protected from the words of others buy some earplugs.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I demand Trump stop Putin's invasion of Korea...... :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_9562zBGE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Rip wrote:
Their points are that they don't like people's words and want them to be forced to shut up or for there to be closets put aside for them to hide in to cower in fear of those words. The name itself is a way of addressing their points and rejecting such via mocking. If you want protected from the words of others buy some earplugs.
Tell Trump that the next time he lets negative news reports about his administration, or an SNL skit, get under his thin skin.

Buy some earplugs, you orange snowflake.
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rip wrote:I demand Trump stop Putin's invasion of Korea...... :?

Now that was funny, and sad. She wasn't speaking from a prepared speech, and clearly had to try and recall which country she needed to cite. Korea is a far cry from Ukraine. We all know exactly what she meant, though.

It's not like the Bowling Green Massacre, or the multitude of other patently false Alt-Facts and Trumpisms.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Rip wrote:
Unagi wrote:

You will know when I become deeply offended because that will be the day I start working on my survival bunker.
Hopefully this bunker is somewhere inland. Cause you know, there's this alt-news about global warming.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

raydude wrote:Hopefully this bunker is somewhere inland. Cause you know, there's this alt-news about global warming.
I checked the maps, and if we can get the world toasty enough, my house will become beachfront property just before everything dies. Climate change? More like Climate Awesome!
Black Lives Matter

Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:
Rip wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Rip wrote:
Tell Trump that the next time he lets negative news reports about his administration, or an SNL skit, get under his thin skin.

Buy some earplugs, you orange snowflake.
I'd love to, that would be one of the wisest things he has ever done. His biggest problem is that he can't just ignore the haters and do what he has to do.
Rip

Post by Rip »

raydude wrote:
Rip wrote:
Unagi wrote:

Hopefully this bunker is somewhere inland. Cause you know, there's this alt-news about global warming.
It will be but if CC turns out to be true I should be able to fish without straying to far from the hatch.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod wrote:
Rip wrote:I demand Trump stop Putin's invasion of Korea...... :?

Now that was funny, and sad. She wasn't speaking from a prepared speech, and clearly had to try and recall which country she needed to cite. Korea is a far cry from Ukraine. We all know exactly what she meant, though.

It's not like the Bowling Green Massacre, or the multitude of other patently false Alt-Facts and Trumpisms.

Sounds as though all of the Democrats should start only speaking from prepared statements with Pelosi thinking Bush is still POTUS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr5TKYR64wc
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote:I'd love to, that would be one of the wisest things he has ever done. His biggest problem is that he can't just ignore the haters and do what he has to do.
And there's the problem. In order to make you happy and keep himself popular in your eyes, he is ignoring "the haters" and "doing what has to be done." The problem is that is your expectation. Push your agenda. Ignore everything else. But then willful ignorance is what this movement basks in, isn't it?

Are you looking for an excuse turn on your Trumpsiah? Waiting for him to engage the enemy, the majority of Americans who have been gerrymandered into under represented districts? Waiting for him to stop ignoring them and ask questions and get answers regarding concerns? Waiting for him to pause before fanning the kindling set to burn it all to the ground?
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:
Rip wrote:I'd love to, that would be one of the wisest things he has ever done. His biggest problem is that he can't just ignore the haters and do what he has to do.
And there's the problem. In order to make you happy and keep himself popular in your eyes, he is ignoring "the haters" and "doing what has to be done." The problem is that is your expectation. Push your agenda. Ignore everything else. But then willful ignorance is what this movement basks in, isn't it?

Are you looking for an excuse turn on your Trumpsiah? Waiting for him to engage the enemy, the majority of Americans who have been gerrymandered into under represented districts? Waiting for him to stop ignoring them and ask questions and get answers regarding concerns? Waiting for him to pause before fanning the kindling set to burn it all to the ground?
In my eyes ignoring someone doesn't involve petty digs and twitter attacks.

The job I am happy with, the sideshow I could live without.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

*bump*

U.S. Hate Crimes Up 20 Percent in 2016, Fueled by Election Campaign: Report
Hate crimes in nine U.S. metropolitan areas rose more than 20 percent last year, fueled by inflamed passions during the presidential campaign and more willingness for victims to step forward, a leading hate crimes researcher said on Monday.

Bias crimes appeared to increase in some cities following the Nov. 8 election of President Donald Trump, a trend that has extended into this year with a wave of bomb threats and desecrations at synagogues and Jewish cemeteries, according to California researcher Brian Levin.
Last edited by Defiant on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:
The job I am happy with, the sideshow I could live without.
Then he can count on your support in his attempts to pass Trumpcare?
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rip wrote:The job I am happy with, the sideshow I could live without.
You do understand there is no separation. The man is a sideshow.
Black Lives Matter