Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2020? No, it's 2020!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2020?

Post by Jaymann »

Hey Trump speaks three languages fluently:
New Yawk
Jersey
Pidgin
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Defiant wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:37 am Buttmentum? Feel the.. err.. butt?
The internets tell me that the preferred reference is mayor-mentum.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 pm Hey Trump speaks three languages fluently:
New Yawk
Jersey
Pidgin
You forgot "Twitter" and "Lying."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tulsi Gabbard declares that Trump has been... too hard on Putin.

(Is there a point where Russian election interference jumps the shark? I think this might be it.)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So you can make the president dance like a puppet just by publicly accusing him of things? Sounds like a confident leader of men if ever I've heard of one.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 pm So you can make the president dance like a puppet just by publicly accusing him of things? Sounds like a confident leader of men if ever I've heard of one.
The real point is that Trump hasn't done *anything* to prove he's not Putin's puppet.

Tulsi G is either a straight-up Kremlin puppet or a reactionary arch-Leftist anti-American fellow-traveler, which amounts to the same thing.

Think Jill Stein, but with a (D) after her name.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My comment is a direct response to her assertion, not a statement on Drumpf's behavior.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I think I can already see how the 2020 Presidential election will turn out. A moderate white man, like Biden or Beto, wins the nomination, the liberal activists are appalled (egged on by GOP and Russian trolls) that they didn't get a female or minority candidate as they did in the last three Presidential elections, and don't turn out. Moderate White Guy still manages to squeak out a victory over Trump, but without long enough coattails to turn the Senate blue, and thus is powerless to make any real change. Then, in 2024, the GOP puts up a candidate who superficially resembles Trump, but is much more savvy and intelligent. Democrats, disgusted that their guy can't get anything done, stay home and a Red Wave sweeps the nation.

We're all doomed. :(
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apollo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:52 pm I think I can already see how the 2020 Presidential election will turn out. A moderate white man, like Biden or Beto, wins the nomination, the liberal activists are appalled (egged on by GOP and Russian trolls) that they didn't get a female or minority candidate as they did in the last three Presidential elections, and don't turn out. Moderate White Guy still manages to squeak out a victory over Trump, but without long enough coattails to turn the Senate blue, and thus is powerless to make any real change. Then, in 2024, the GOP puts up a candidate who superficially resembles Trump, but is much more savvy and intelligent. Democrats, disgusted that their guy can't get anything done, stay home and a Red Wave sweeps the nation Queen Alexandria I is coronated.

We're all doomed. saved :dance:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:31 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 pm So you can make the president dance like a puppet just by publicly accusing him of things? Sounds like a confident leader of men if ever I've heard of one.
The real point is that Trump hasn't done *anything* to prove he's not Putin's puppet.

Tulsi G is either a straight-up Kremlin puppet or a reactionary arch-Leftist anti-American fellow-traveler, which amounts to the same thing.

It's the latter. First, Gabbard is a straight up nut. Second, she's on the far left part of the spectrum that's been suspicious of / hostile to the Russia scandal from the beginning, because: (1) they are committed to the narrative that the DNC leaks were the work of some bold truth teller disgusted with institutional corruption, and not an act of foreign intelligence; (2) they are committed to a view of the U.S. as prime evil, and *especially* to the view of U.S. intelligence as the head of that prime evil, and the Russia scandal generally casts the U.S. as the victim and U.S. intelligence agencies as relative good guys; and (3) they are the heir to the anti-anti-communist tradition, which is not *for* communism so much as it was perpetually siding with the enemies of the U.S. no matter who they are and no matter how despicable they are.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 pm I had assumed from the first that Pete Buttigieg had no chance.

The more I hear, though, the more I think he might be very very real, or at least very very smart.
The problem being that our country isn't good enough for a person like that. At least not right now. We need to clean house and get rid of the influence of the evangelical right and the corporate shills who Trump keeps putting in office as a favor (great way to drain the swamp, douche bag), and then repair the damage that just 2 years of a corrupt, divisive lying leader has done to our country. Until that happens, truly qualified people full of compassion and humanity don't stand a chance. :(
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:02 am
Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:31 pm

It's the latter. First, Gabbard is a straight up nut. Second, she's on the far left part of the spectrum that's been suspicious of / hostile to the Russia scandal from the beginning, because: (1) they are committed to the narrative that the DNC leaks were the work of some bold truth teller disgusted with institutional corruption, and not an act of foreign intelligence; (2) they are committed to a view of the U.S. as prime evil, and *especially* to the view of U.S. intelligence as the head of that prime evil, and the Russia scandal generally casts the U.S. as the victim and U.S. intelligence agencies as relative good guys; and (3) they are the heir to the anti-anti-communist tradition, which is not *for* communism so much as it was perpetually siding with the enemies of the U.S. no matter who they are and no matter how despicable they are.
Gabbard isn't so much on the far left of the spectrum so much as she's extremely anti-Establishment. Her voting record is fairly conservative for a Democrat.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

So Beto made a splash by raising $6.1 million in 24 hours, just above Sander's $5.9 million when he announced. His campaign may have trolled the media by delaying releasing this information to lower expectations (and then far exceed them).

Meanwhile, I'm seeing some on twitter and elsewhere are accusing him of having donated his remaining funds from his Senate elections to the Texas Democratic Party only to have them donate it back once he announced, to inflate his totals...

However, state parties are only allowed to contribute a maximum of $5,000 to candidates committee per election, so this is nonsense
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

One begins to understand why the GOP has taken aim at a first term rep with almost now power. She is good at getting noticed

Spoiler:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC
· Mar 24, 2019

This is the REAL conversation we need to have as a country.

As horrific as this president is, he is a symptom of much deeper problems.

Even foreign influence plays on nat’l wounds that we refuse to address: income inequality, racism, corruption,a willingness to excuse bigotry.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC

He can stay, he can go. He can be impeached, or voted out in 2020.

But removing Trump will not remove the infrastructure of an entire party that embraced him; the dark money that funded him; the online radicalization that drummed his army; nor the racism he amplified+reanimated.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nailed it!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tulsi Gabbard is...repeating Russia propaganda points. I'm shocked. Shocked I say!

Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

‘I was shocked’: Nevada Democrat accuses Biden of touching, kissing her without consent

So do we really need Biden joining the race? I would think there isn’t a shortage of other qualified candidates. And perhaps it isn’t fair to Joe but I can see him being a bit grabby in a “that’s just what we did didn’t mean anything bad by it” generational sort of way.

Other baggage includes the Anita Hill hearings and his stance on desegregation.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:58 pm his stance on desegregation.
He supported desegregation, what he didn't support was forced busing to achieve it. And back then, busing wasn't popular. Even among African Americans there was only 50/50 support.

Regardless, I don't think this will get much traction, given his track record in the four decades since then.

I'm more bothered by the Anita Hill hearings, but I could still see myself voting for him in the primary.
Last edited by Defiant on Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What was his problem on the Anita Hill hearings?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Defiant wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:32 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:58 pm his stance on desegregation.
He supported desegregation, what he didn't support was forced busing to achieve it. And back then, busing wasn't popular. Even among African Americans there was only 50/50 support.

Regardless, I don't think this will get much traction, given his track record in the four decades since then.

I'm more bothered by the Anita Hill hearings, but I could still see myself voting for him in the primary.
Good point and I wonder how relevant busing and desegregation is to post Baby Boomer African Americans? The present day crappy conditions of inner city schools is probably more of a concern.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:35 pm What was his problem on the Anita Hill hearings?
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/politics ... index.html
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Whew, I was afraid he grabbed her by the pussy and paid her hush money. :roll:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Biden's response on the awkward kiss allegation
“In my many years on the campaign trail and in public life, I have offered countless handshakes, hugs, expressions of affection, support and comfort," Biden said. "And not once — never — did I believe I acted inappropriately. If it is suggested I did so, I will listen respectfully. But it was never my intention. I may not recall these moments the same way, and I may be surprised at what I hear."

"But we have arrived at an important time when women feel they can and should relate their experiences, and men should pay attention," he said. "And I will. I will also remain the strongest advocate I can be for the rights of women. I will fight to build on the work I’ve done in my career to end violence against women and ensure women are treated with the equality they deserve. I will continue to surround myself with trusted women advisers who challenge me to see different perspectives than my own. And I will continue to speak out on these vitally-important issues where there is much more progress to be made and crucial fights that must be waged and won."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, that's better than "binders full of women," at least.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Seems generally like Biden is generally too touchy-feely in a way that's inappropriate, and that he hasn't realized how that is on the receiving end for women, especially given that he's a powerful man. Not totally sure what to do with that, although it seems like a major problem in a very competitive primary field.

Also, if Biden gets elected President now, Al Franken is going to lose his goddamn mind.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't think Biden will survive campaigning in the MeToo era. Too likely to have a steady parade of similar bimbo eruptions. Remember when we called them that?

You'd think that no amount of sleaze, actual or alleged, would disqualify someone from running against Trump, the sultan of sleaze. But Democrats will be looking for purity, and they won't find it in Joe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not likely to make a lot of friends inside her party. That's going to be hard on someone who is already the posterchild for everything the GOP tries to satirize.

Spoiler:
The @DCCC’s new rule to blacklist+boycott anyone who does business w/ primary challengers is extremely divisive & harmful to the party. My recommendation, if you’re a small-dollar donor: pause your donations to DCCC & give directly to swing candidates instead. Some great ones:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 am Too likely to have a steady parade of similar bimbo eruptions. Remember when we called them that?
No.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm almost welcoming something coming along to torpedo Biden's campaign. He has too many red flag things for my comfort level - namely age and 8 years of Obama baggage.

Trump's opponent needs to be absolutely rock solid, and I feel like Biden may be the candidate we want but not the candidate we need.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I see 8 years of being in the Obama administration, and electability, to be an asset for Biden. But age is definitely an issue - there's like a 25+% chance of him dying before the end of the first term (that's not factoring anything special like the stress of the job or the extra medical attention he would receive.)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:I don't think Biden will survive campaigning in the MeToo era. Too likely to have a steady parade of similar bimbo eruptions. Remember when we called them that?

You'd think that no amount of sleaze, actual or alleged, would disqualify someone from running against Trump, the sultan of sleaze. But Democrats will be looking for purity, and they won't find it in Joe.
It depends. The twitterverse magnifies these things so that the things in question are much less important to voters than they appear. As best I can tell thus far, these are all non sexual weirdness, even quirky (rubbing noses? Uh, OK).

Nowhere near even Franken's level, to say far less of our current President's precedent.

If this is the best the oppo research can come up with...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Pyperkub wrote:
Kraken wrote:I don't think Biden will survive campaigning in the MeToo era. Too likely to have a steady parade of similar bimbo eruptions. Remember when we called them that?

It depends. The twitterverse magnifies these things so that the things in question are much less important to voters than they appear. As best I can tell thus far, these are all non sexual weirdness, even quirky (rubbing noses? Uh, OK).

Nowhere near even Franken's level, to say far less of our current President's precedent.

If this is the best the oppo research can come up with...
Of course, Lucy Flores may beg to differ.
Black lives matter!

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Some first quarter numbers

Buttigieg raised $7 million

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It strikes me, one thing seriously in Buttigieg's favor: With a last name like Buttigieg, I'm guessing he is no strangers to bullies and how to handle their verbal attacks.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 pm (According to Politico, he speaks seven languages conversationally.)
Could you imagine our next president speaking seven languages conversationally. The 'make-up sex' could be incredible regarding foreign relations.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

After watching Pete Buttigieg on YouTube some I really like him. He’s my favorite candidate right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Unagi wrote:
Holman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 pm (According to Politico, he speaks seven languages conversationally.)
Could you imagine our next president speaking seven languages conversationally. The 'make-up sex' could be incredible regarding foreign relations.
But does he speak American, dammit!?

On a more serious note I'm liking him as well. Don't know how far he'll get in the salmon run for the nomination but I hope he's more involved in national politics in his future.
Black lives matter!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

With a name like Buttigieg he has to be good.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter