Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2020? No, it's 2020!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2020?

Post by Zarathud »

Your favorite son dying will take the wind out from anyone.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

em2nought wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:04 pm [snip to save bandwidth]
I'm probably more indigenous than Fauxcahontas! :mrgreen:
Hey what's the difference between a Republican and a parrot?

The parrot lives longer.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 pm Your favorite son dying will take the wind out from anyone.
If it does, then maybe the highest-stress job in the world isn't for them.

I've been worried about Biden's age all along. He does look old. He does sound old. I've been assuming that the debates would make this clear, and maybe they eventually will, but the worst possible outcome is clearing the path for Biden and then seeing him fall apart from gaffes and poor performance in the actual campaign.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Maybe Swalwell had it right, "Pass the torch, bruh!"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Evangelicals overjoyed with Trump.

My favorite "segment":
Washington Post wrote: While they cheer Trump’s many efforts to chip away at LGBT rights, they are much more concerned with protecting their own right to maintain their opposition.

They want to be able to teach their values without interference — some churchgoers fretted about school textbooks that refer to transgender identities without condemnation and about gay couples showing up in TV commercials every time they try to watch a show with their children.
Might I suggest turning off the tv? Instead of cheering the demeaning of your fellow man. What great "Christians" they are. *vomit*
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:35 pm I remember a few years ago seeing Biden on a car talk Jay Leno. He seemed normal. But maybe Im alone these days but he seems old. He looks old. he acts old. Sorta like his mental edge is gone to age. I know he really is old but just a few years ago he seemed fine. Now not so much. I think it every time I see him on these debates and news.
That kind of goes back to my earlier age comment. I think even though we experience it ourselves as a gradual change, when you see it in others it can look like it (and perhaps does) just comes on without warning in the matter of months to a year. I'm only speaking from my own experiences as well as watching my parents' over time. Obviously everyone is different but I've noticed my memory, energy level and overall sharpness is nowhere near what it was in my 30s. I'd say it's been degrading steadily since turning 40, particularly the last few years as I hit 50. I'm not saying I'm decrepit or anything, but if you asked me to take on the toughest job of my career, I would definitely say I was at my best 15-20 years ago, and in spite of the knowledge and experience I've gained, I would simply not be as effective handling massive amounts of stress.

Nowadays I watch in fear as my parents, particularly my mom, start to deteriorate mentally. She used to have the sharpest memory of anyone I knew, but what felt like all of a sudden, she is showing signs of dementia and/or Alzheimer's (she's 82 now, but the signs started around 80, probably even before if I think about it). It just kind of boggles my mind that people would want candidates clearly past their prime to take on such a demanding job when there are plenty of other choices. Why is it being "too young" is looked on as so much more of a negative than being too old?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another thing is when I was young I felt older folk just didn't understand the current generation of us younger folk. Now that Im 50 I know I dont get the younger generation at all. There comes a point where you are out of date in a worldwise sense.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:35 pm I remember a few years ago seeing Biden on a car talk Jay Leno. He seemed normal. But maybe Im alone these days but he seems old. He looks old. he acts old. Sorta like his mental edge is gone to age. I know he really is old but just a few years ago he seemed fine. Now not so much. I think it every time I see him on these debates and news.
That kind of goes back to my earlier age comment. I think even though we experience it ourselves as a gradual change, when you see it in others it can look like it (and perhaps does) just comes on without warning in the matter of months to a year.
We call this "getting hit by the old-age truck." It happened to my youngest BIL a couple of weeks ago. Basically, he had a household accident that turned into a debilitating injury, a week-long hospitalization, and a month of rehab. He is unlikely to ever fully recover. This is a guy who's four years younger than me, but he's becoming a broken-down old man. Obesity, diabetes, poor diet, and inactivity caught up with him all of a sudden.

Getting hit by the old-age truck is definitely a thing, and Biden seems like he's been at least sideswiped.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:56 pm
rittchard wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 pm
That kind of goes back to my earlier age comment. I think even though we experience it ourselves as a gradual change, when you see it in others it can look like it (and perhaps does) just comes on without warning in the matter of months to a year.
We call this "getting hit by the old-age truck." It happened to my youngest BIL a couple of weeks ago. Basically, he had a household accident that turned into a debilitating injury, a week-long hospitalization, and a month of rehab. He is unlikely to ever fully recover. This is a guy who's four years younger than me, but he's becoming a broken-down old man. Obesity, diabetes, poor diet, and inactivity caught up with him all of a sudden.

Getting hit by the old-age truck is definitely a thing, and Biden seems like he's been at least sideswiped.
Ha! That's a great way to put it. Now that you said that I wonder if his heart really isn't in it this time. Like maybe people around him pressured him into it and told him he's the only one who can stop Trump and he felt/feels obligated.

Which gets me into another somewhat OT question I asked my partner the other day: if you absolutely knew you could defeat Trump (and in our minds this is tantamount to possibly saving the US and possibly the world from crumbling), would you make the sacrifice and run for President? I had to really stop and think about that because no matter how you slice it, it's an enormous sacrifice and commitment. But ultimately, at least for me, I'd say I would do it in spite of really not wanting to. I think this spawned from people saying Michelle Obama was a sure thing to beat Trump, in which case wouldn't she feel some sort of responsibility to the country/world/people to defeat him? I know it's totally unfair to say that but just something I was thinking about.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I would totally make the life sacrifice and become President to stop Trump.

I would NOT go back in time and kill Hitler. That seems like a whole to-do.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:59 pm I would totally make the life sacrifice and become President to stop Trump.

I would go back in time and kill Hitler, then stop off every April from 1985 to 2015 and copy Trump's tax returns.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:14 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:59 pm I would totally make the life sacrifice and become President to stop Trump.

I would go back in time and kill Hitler, then stop off every April from 1985 to 2015 and copy Trump's tax returns.
I'd go back in time and kill a baby. Wouldn't have to even be Hitler.

….
…..too dark?
He won. Period.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 pm

….
…..too dark?
Wasn't that pretty much the plot of Back To The Future?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

….
…..too dark?
Looking at your avatar, you'd torture the baby, not kill it!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I you went back and killed Hitler, Trump would never have been elected.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 pm

….
…..too dark?
Looking at your avatar, you'd torture the baby, not kill it!
No tranya for you!
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Didn't they establish in Endgame that that's not how time travel works?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

rittchard wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:07 pm Didn't they establish in Endgame that that's not how time travel works?
Do they cover baby Hitler's death in the deleted scenes? I haven't bought the blu ray yet. :(

You know, something just struck me. IF folks are going back in time and killing tyrants while they're babies, we wouldn't actually know they were tyrants, would we? So there could be a whole slew of baby tyrant killings going on EVEN AS I WRITE THIS...AND WE WOULDN'T KNOW IT!
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:36 pm
rittchard wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:07 pm Didn't they establish in Endgame that that's not how time travel works?
Do they cover baby Hitler's death in the deleted scenes? I haven't bought the blu ray yet. :(

You know, something just struck me. IF folks are going back in time and killing tyrants while they're babies, we wouldn't actually know they were tyrants, would we? So there could be a whole slew of baby tyrant killings going on EVEN AS I WRITE THIS...AND WE WOULDN'T KNOW IT!
Just as a heads up, I don't think that's going to work very well as a defense to murdering the neighbor's crying baby.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So every time we see a Mandela effect, it means another baby tyrant has been eliminated.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lady behind the counter at the DMV who yelled at me for asking how long this was going to take? Tyrant! Time machine on, baby DMV lady dropped down well.

Guy who refuses to wash his hands after using the restroom in our office building? Tyrant! Time machine on, baby hygiene hater strapped to comically large bomb.

Anyone around here wanna test me? Huh!? HUH?!
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:02 pm Lady behind the counter at the DMV who yelled at me for asking how long this was going to take? Tyrant! Time machine on, baby DMV lady dropped down well.

Guy who refuses to wash his hands after using the restroom in our office building? Tyrant! Time machine on, baby hygiene hater strapped to comically large bomb.

As you mentioned above, though, would you actually remember that you did these things if you did them? Is it possible you've already killed a ton of baby DMV ladies and non-hygenic guys????
Holman

Post by Holman »

rittchard wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:08 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:02 pm Lady behind the counter at the DMV who yelled at me for asking how long this was going to take? Tyrant! Time machine on, baby DMV lady dropped down well.

As you mentioned above, though, would you actually remember that you did these things if you did them? Is it possible you've already killed a ton of baby DMV ladies and non-hygenic guys????
Holy Shit. HEP IS THIS TIMELINE'S TYRANT!!!

Eh. Could be worse. Could be U2K.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Equates Everquest with Dungeons and Dragons? Tyrant! Time machine on, baby sportswriter clubbed with a baseball bat.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sorry to distract from the talk of killing babies by bringing up the 2020 election, but Hickenlooper is dropping out, and may run for the Senate.
John Hickenlooper announced Thursday that he is ending his bid for the presidency.

In a three-minute video posted to YouTube, the former Colorado governor said that while he had enjoyed campaigning for the presidency, it was was now time to bow out. He also teased a possible run for U.S. Senate against Republican incumbent Cory Gardner.
I hope a few more follow his lead and run for lower offices where they have a much better chance of winning.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

The Senate needs to flip to blue in 2020 to accomplish anything good. I hope he does run and win in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And if he doesn’t, then baby Hickenlooper is in for a nasty surprise.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Didn't the Onion cover this last week? Why yes, yes they did. "While no further inquiry into the status of Hickenlooper’s campaign is forthcoming or realistically necessary, one may safely assume that this headline, if not true now, cannot ultimately be false, and will in fact be accurate in every major particular within the next week."
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jay Inslee (who made climate change his signature issue) is quitting the race.

Hopefully he'll get EPA in the Warren administration.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

We may be getting an actual Republican primary in 2020.

In addition to the already announced Bill Weld, it seems Joe Walsh and Mark Sanford are going to announce runs soon, John Kasich has been visiting New Hampshire, and Jeff Flake is starting to get some pressure to step into the race.

It may not be the most inspiring field, but it's something.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hickenlooper is officially in the race against Gardner for CO's Senate seat.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:28 am Hickenlooper is officially in the race against Gardner for CO's Senate seat.
Isn't Hickenlooper the only Democratic candidate there with a chance to win?
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:28 am Hickenlooper is officially in the race against Gardner for CO's Senate seat.
Isn't Hickenlooper the only Democratic candidate there with a chance to win?
Basically, which is why this is a big deal. Well, that and the fact that this seat is pretty much a required pick-up for the Ds if they're to have any hope of getting the Senate back.
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 am We may be getting an actual Republican primary in 2020.

In addition to the already announced Bill Weld, it seems Joe Walsh and Mark Sanford are going to announce runs soon, John Kasich has been visiting New Hampshire, and Jeff Flake is starting to get some pressure to step into the race.

There's no way this goes anywhere. Trump's popularity is, what, 80% among Republicans?

Pretty sure Walsh's campaign is just some kind of grift.

Jeff Flake is a punchline.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In a different reality, I could vote for Kasich, and honestly if he's around during the primary voting time and I'm not jaw dropped at the state of the democratic primaries, I would show up to vote for him at that time.

I wouldn't be excited at the notion of Kasich as POTUS but as far as republican presidents and the state of the party goes. He's pretty much at the top of the heap, which most assuredly means he goes nowhere and why the GOP doesn't actually get me vote.... ever any more.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:40 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 am We may be getting an actual Republican primary in 2020.

There's no way this goes anywhere. Trump's popularity is, what, 80% among Republicans?

Yeah, Trump at 80%+ popularity among Republicans + five-ish candidates splitting the remaining 20% is not much of a recipe for success. Maybe it will generate a few bad or embarrassing headlines for Trump along the way, but that's about the most I think we can hope for.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm not sure all of that 80% is enthusiastic in support of Trump - some number of it is likely just "support the R president" support. I could see credible candidates peeling off some of that support.

Not enough to actually make a difference, of course. Trump will be the nominee and it won't be particularly close.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've read a couple of columns arguing that the GOP will dump Trump in a heartbeat if the economy nosedives before next summer. Republicans have no love or loyalty to the man and will not blindly go down with his ship; the economy is his only net favorable area -- take that away and he gets crushed. Very likely just wishful thinking, but keep an eye on Mitt anyway. He'll quickly sweep these other guys aside if the cards fall that way.

It's a good reminder that Dems need something better than just "who can beat Trump?".
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 am

I've read a couple of columns arguing that the GOP will dump Trump in a heartbeat if the economy nosedives before next summer. Republicans have no love or loyalty to the man and will not blindly go down with his ship; the economy is his only net favorable area -- take that away and he gets crushed. Very likely just wishful thinking, but keep an eye on Mitt anyway. He'll quickly sweep these other guys aside if the cards fall that way.

It's a good reminder that Dems need something better than just "who can beat Trump?".
Yeah, there's some value to the GOP in having an escape hatch which is short of impeachment if the floor falls out before mid-2020. But that's mostly a fantasy - even if the economy starts to go into recession early next year and there are a couple more scandal bombshells, even then the chance that someone else beats Trump in a GOP primary is .0005%.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:29 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 am

Yeah, there's some value to the GOP in having an escape hatch which is short of impeachment if the floor falls out before mid-2020. But that's mostly a fantasy - even if the economy starts to go into recession early next year and there are a couple more scandal bombshells, even then the chance that someone else beats Trump in a GOP primary is .0005%.
FWIW, I still think Trump will die before the election...probably not something you want to base your strategy on, though.