The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote:Big changes allegedly coming, but this one is my favorite:
One major change under consideration would see the president’s social media posts vetted by a team of lawyers, who would decide if any needed to be adjusted or curtailed. The idea, said one of Mr. Trump’s advisers, is to create a system so that tweets “don’t go from the president’s mind out to the universe.”

Some of Mr. Trump’s tweets—from hinting that he may have taped conversations with Mr. Comey to suggesting without any evidence that former President Barack Obama wire-tapped Trump Tower—have opened him to criticism and at times confounded his communications team.
As pointed out in the article, there's zero percent chance of him agreeing to have anyone filter or approve what he wants to say on Twitter. Zero. The idea that it's even being suggested is hilarious, doubly so that it's being floated now - that ship has sailed.
Honestly, after we survive this presidency, I think (perhaps to our on detriment) we will have learned that we can survive just about ANYONE being the president. Imagine the world where we, years from now, look at Trump as being the most benign of our next-gen politicians (in the way many of us would trade Bush for Trump in a NewYork Minute.) I'm so sad for our country. I'm so sad that so many people have been ignored by the government to allow for this shit. Cause, clearly- that's behind it all. Trump tapped the disenfranchised white poor America and they are terribly misguided but a legitimate entity. I'm so pissed at the Democratic Party being out of touch with them, as I'm quite certain that's the only party that has any legitimate desire to better 'everyones' life, but they just suck at politics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:As pointed out in the article, there's zero percent chance of him agreeing to have anyone filter or approve what he wants to say on Twitter. Zero. The idea that it's even being suggested is hilarious, doubly so that it's being floated now - that ship has sailed.
We'll see. With a special counsel appointed, Trump may come to realize or be persuaded that anything he tweets could be used against him in impeachment or legal proceedings. I can only hope that the time of "unfiltered" Trump comes to an end.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:As pointed out in the article, there's zero percent chance of him agreeing to have anyone filter or approve what he wants to say on Twitter. Zero. The idea that it's even being suggested is hilarious, doubly so that it's being floated now - that ship has sailed.
We'll see. With a special counsel appointed, Trump may come to realize or be persuaded that anything he tweets could be used against him in impeachment or legal proceedings. I can only hope that the time of "unfiltered" Trump comes to an end.
I agree entirely - although NOT with your statement that one should hope that the time for 'unfiltered' Trumps comes to an end. (please correct me / as I garner we are in the identical camp)

"Filtered Trump" is a actually identically equal to a mitigated Trump... and while that may sound nice on the surface - it exposes the less critical eye on Trump.

Maybe I'm not reading your point here, Grifman(perhaps we are arguing the identical point even?) , but I am happy if Trump entirely exposes himself (unfiltered).

(so as to expose him to his own undeniable Core of ineptitude, and deigned him any claim to power at all. P E R I O D )
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The idea, said one of Mr. Trump’s advisers, is to create a system so that tweets “don’t go from the president’s mind out to the universe.”
Yeah...I don't think that's the body part that they are coming from.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Defiant wrote:A fellow Orange American criticizes Trump:
Former House Speaker John Boehner says: “He’s still learning how to be president.”
'Still' learning indicates there has been 'some', right? Seems obvious there has been none.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Defiant wrote:A fellow Orange American criticizes Trump:
Former House Speaker John Boehner says: “He’s still learning how to be president.”
'Still' learning indicates there has been 'some', right? Seems obvious there has been none.
Well, he did learn that health care was complicated. ..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Touché
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I see that the Dunce in Chief is back at it this morning on the Tweeters. Employing a favorite rhetorical tactic of the weak-minded. Take something dirty and underhanded that you do (make up sources to claim legitimacy for whatever dumb shit is falling of your fingers) and accusing your opponents of doing it (to try to delegitimize them).

In fairness to the Dunce, he's probably never in his life told the truth about anything, and so it would seem inconceivable that others might.

I will agree with him that Fake News is one of our enemies (along with his Russian overlords), although I'm guessing we disagree on which news is fake.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

RunningMn9 wrote:I see that the Dunce in Chief is back at it this morning on the Tweeters. Employing a favorite rhetorical tactic of the weak-minded. Take something dirty and underhanded that you do (make up sources to claim legitimacy for whatever dumb shit is falling of your fingers) and accusing your opponents of doing it (to try to delegitimize them).
From Twitter:
@tonyposnanski wrote:Trump's tweets today...

4 About Fake News
1 Congratulating a man who assaulted a reporter
1 About Europe trip

0 Denouncing Portland attack
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That Portland dude is most likely in Trump's voting bloc, therefore is one of the Americans he feels like he works for. He'd never denounce one of them.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If this wasn't written in the NYT, I'd think it was parody:
At the Trump National Golf Club outside Washington, which hosted the Senior P.G.A. Championship this weekend, the president’s coat of arms is everywhere — the sign out front, the pro shop, even the exercise room.

The regal emblem, used at President Trump’s golf courses across the United States, sports three lions and two chevrons on a shield, below a gloved hand gripping an arrow.

The British are known to take matters of heraldry seriously, and Mr. Trump’s American coat of arms belongs to another family. It was granted by British authorities in 1939 to Joseph Edward Davies, the third husband of Marjorie Merriweather Post, the socialite who built the Mar-a-Lago resort that is now Mr. Trump’s cherished getaway.

In the United States, the Trump Organization took Mr. Davies’s coat of arms for its own, making one small adjustment — replacing the word “Integritas,” Latin for integrity, with “Trump.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:If this wasn't written in the NYT, I'd think it was parody:
At the Trump National Golf Club outside Washington, which hosted the Senior P.G.A. Championship this weekend, the president’s coat of arms is everywhere — the sign out front, the pro shop, even the exercise room.

The regal emblem, used at President Trump’s golf courses across the United States, sports three lions and two chevrons on a shield, below a gloved hand gripping an arrow.

The British are known to take matters of heraldry seriously, and Mr. Trump’s American coat of arms belongs to another family. It was granted by British authorities in 1939 to Joseph Edward Davies, the third husband of Marjorie Merriweather Post, the socialite who built the Mar-a-Lago resort that is now Mr. Trump’s cherished getaway.

In the United States, the Trump Organization took Mr. Davies’s coat of arms for its own, making one small adjustment — replacing the word “Integritas,” Latin for integrity, with “Trump.”
Moral of the story, Trump and Integrity are interchangeable.

:ninja:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You and Trump are quite alike. Neither of you know what integrity means if that's what you think.

:pop:
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

hepcat wrote:You and Trump are quite alike. Neither of you know what integrity means if that's what you think.

:pop:
Sure they're interchangeable, just like Nutella can be substituted for peanut butter: yes, you can do it, and some people swear up and down that it's amazing and better, but those people are super wrong and strange, and are actively destroying our country.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My new favorite article - It's time for Trump to sell Kentucky:
One of our worst performing states is the very Republican (in 2016, Trump got 62.5% of its votes) State of Kentucky. It’s an embarrassing drag on our nation’s budget and economy. WalletHub identified Kentucky in 2017 as the state most dependent on the federal government, and a 2007 Tax Foundation Study (examining the period 1985-2005) found that Kentucky consistently received more from the federal government than it paid in. The numbers in Kentucky are dire.

In fiscal 2016, which ended last Sept. 30, the federal government collected $34 billion in taxes from Kentucky but spent $89 billion there — resulting in a net benefit to Kentucky of $55 billion (about $12,500 for each person in that state). By contrast, the federal government collected $109 billion in taxes from Massachusetts in 2016, but spent only $62 billion there. That's $47 billion less than it paid in taxes.

To Make America Great Again,we can’t afford any namby-pamby political correctness — we need to tell it like it is. Low productivity states (subsidized by our more productive states) need to carry their own weight or go, and Kentucky looks like a good place to start America’s transformation.
And it's not just KY:
Kentucky isn’t our only under-performing, money-draining state. GOP stalwarts such as Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina are additional examples. Whatever solution we find for Kentucky should also be rolled out to these other low-productivity states.
Low productivity. Sad.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Grifman wrote:
By now it should be painfully and completely clear that Trump is a human being with no capability to "realize" anything. His world view is firmly fixed. He is a winner, and everyone who likes him is also a winner; money makes the man, and Trump has money. Anyone not with him is loser, and those against him are his enemies. That is -all- that matters in his mind. Everything he does or has done supports this.

He will continue to act as though he has won right until he is pried from the desk, and will then spend the rest of his life screaming about how he was cheated and robbed.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump has decades of this behavior behind him. He will never, ever stop tweeting whatever comes out of his damn head minutes after his minuscule brain thinks it up. Woe to any aid or family member that tries to tell him it's hurting him. He truly believes that what he writes is believed by an overwhelming majority of Americans. It's amazing how his internal defensive mechanism can distort anything to the point that he believes he's utterly blameless/victorious/popular.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The first of many?
Mike Dubke has resigned as White House communications director in the first of what could be a series of changes to President Trump's senior staff amid the growing Russia scandal.

Dubke, who served in the post for three months, tendered his resignation May 18. He offered to stay on to help manage communications in Washington during Trump's foreign trip, and the president accepted.

Dubke's last day on the job has not been determined. But it could be as early as Tuesday, when he was expected to meet with his staff at the White House, said a senior administration official, who required anonymity to discuss a personnel move that has not yet been formally announced.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Dubke was the rare Trump newcomer in a White House in which personal relationships and proximity to the president is the currency. He arrived in mid-February, a few weeks into Trump's term, and struggled to build alliances with some colleagues on the senior staff, not having worked on Trump's campaign or his transition team.

Jason Miller, the Trump campaign's senior communications adviser, was slated to serve as communications director in the White House, but he stepped aside a few weeks before Inauguration Day, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family.
Somewhere Jason Miller is smiling to himself for seeing this coming. Good luck finding anyone who wants this job. Taking all the blame while the President vomits words out uncontrollably...no thanks. Anyone who takes this job or replaces Spicey is almost guaranteed to be completely incompetent. :pop:
Enough

Post by Enough »

Hmm, mister POTUS is silly...
The Don wrote:Whenever you see the words 'sources say' in the fake news media, and they don't mention names....

....it is very possible that those sources don't exist but are made up by fake news writers. #FakeNews is the enemy!
vs
The Don wrote:Jared Kushner didn't suggest Russian communications channel in meeting, source says.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Such a fucking genius.
Enlarge Image
Last edited by tjg_marantz on Tue May 30, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

tjg_marantz wrote:Such a fucking genius.
Just a hint, the forums have this thing called "big image" :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

not in tapatalk. Just got home to fix it. :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: And it's not just KY:
Kentucky isn’t our only under-performing, money-draining state. GOP stalwarts such as Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina are additional examples. Whatever solution we find for Kentucky should also be rolled out to these other low-productivity states.
Low productivity. Sad.
Kentucky will be solved by more coal mines and repealed Obamacare so the government won't have to pay for all those black lung nuisances. Those other states could be resolved by rolling back decades of anti-smoking legislation and make Philip Morris great again.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Well how about that. I agree with Trump on something. Go figure.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

WH statement about Trump put out today is literally balls out crazy 3rd world material. Also he totally didn't write this himself or anything...
President Trump has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him,” the statement from White House spokeswoman Hope Hicks reads. “He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000. He has built great relationships throughout his life and treats everyone with respect. He is brilliant with a great sense of humor … and an amazing ability to make people feel special and aspire to be more than even they thought possible.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

How that statement describes Trump is almost 100% the opposite of the actual Trump.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Man, I wonder who wrote that. Such a puzzle!
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unfortunately that is how he sees himself. The Spicer presser today was off the rails too for extra fun.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I don't think anyone can ever use the words "sense of humor", "respect", and "Trump" in the same sentence and keep a straight face.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gilraen wrote:I don't think anyone can ever use the words "sense of humor", "respect", and "Trump" in the same sentence and keep a straight face.
There are a few - they are generally fucking morons - but there are a few. :)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Must be Opposite Day?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote:WH statement about Trump put out today is literally balls out crazy 3rd world material. Also he totally didn't write this himself or anything...
President Trump has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him,” the statement from White House spokeswoman Hope Hicks reads. “He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000. He has built great relationships throughout his life and treats everyone with respect. He is brilliant with a great sense of humor … and an amazing ability to make people feel special and aspire to be more than even they thought possible.
That's Juche, baby!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

'Suppose it would've been a bit on the nose for the WH to come right out and refer to Donald as "Dear Leader." ' - George Takei.
https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/ ... 1112401920
Holman

Post by Holman »

Well, he does have the masses behind him...
link
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

malchior wrote:WH statement about Trump put out today is literally balls out crazy 3rd world material. Also he totally didn't write this himself or anything...
If any part of that were true, the White House wouldn't have had to release such an absurd statement. You don't have to tell us when people have a magnetic personality - we already know when they do.

That reminds of one of the other points that this dunce has tried to make which is how he constantly has to tell people how smart he is. I know *a lot* of smart people. I've never heard a single one of them have to tell me how smart they are. It's easy to tell when someone is smart (or not).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
tgb

Post by tgb »

RunningMn9 wrote: I've never heard a single one of them have to tell me how smart they are. It's easy to tell when someone is smart (or not).
True.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.